FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2016

nick2004

That last part he said is really depressing.

He doesn't think it is wise to pursue any players in January. If an opportunity pops up and a player becomes available that can be a real contribution they will do it but normally he doesn't, also didn't do it last year. So I think we can forget about any signings the window, especially big signings won't happen.

Feck him thrice that man is a total idiot !
Inflexible old guy. Time to retire.

Roboc7

Poor team selection, awful tactics, dull, slow, predictable and absolutely no joy to be had from watching the game. Feel sorry for people at the game, it's really not worth going to watch that, find it hard to justify watching it on tv because feels like such a massive waste of my time.

surf

"Juan Mata is a very good player but he is not a right-winger"

Why are you playing him there then?

“I don’t think we will be doing any business in January but we need creative players"

Either you don't want creative players or you are admitting you can't get them. Defeatist either way.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Mata with a strong contender for worst individual performance ever. Which is particularly impressive in a game where absolutely nothing happened.

Unsure if Memphis played well or just made the mistake of thinking he was put on the pitch to try and score a goal.

Also, Van Gaal whining that we need to play with wingers and that in the first half we didn't, when he left two of the three wingers he has on the bench until the second half, and left the third one out of the squad completely due to some random jibberish he made up aboout the "red zone"

I also don't understand why Sheffield United were "brave" or "unlucky"...why is timewasting and not trying to score a goal brave? And why is failing to get a 0-0 draw against a team that can't score goals unlucky, when the reaosn you failed was because of your own player being an idiot?

The worst game of football I've seen since most of our other games this season. It doesn't really matter if we win or lose anymore, because when we win we manage to do it in a way that still makes you furious that you watched the game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I noticed that United plays or set themselves up the same way whether we play League One or in the CL.

No risk, possession football.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
"Juan Mata is a very good player but he is not a right-winger"

Why are you playing him there then?

“I don’t think we will be doing any business in January but we need creative players"

Either you don't want creative players or you are admitting you can't get them. Defeatist either way.
Has he said this tonight?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It was just awful to watch tonight, it really was.

Having said that we won the game which on the back of the Swansea game might lift the team confidence slightly.

I don't know, I've always said I can tolerate poor football as long as we won but truthfully I celebrated the winner whilst feeling mainly relief that we weren't going to have to endure a replay.

peridigm

Started watching at 27' and lasted to half time. What a load of garbage.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Mata with a strong contender for worst individual performance ever. Which is particularly impressive in a game where absolutely nothing happened.
He is being played out of position, he is no right winger.

The worst game of football I've seen since most of our other games this season.
One of the worst games I've ever seen. Abysmal from start to finish.

RK

Happy. That was the most I've celebrated a goal for a few months!
We're stuck in some sort of lethargy.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The announcer in the US said it best. At the 72nd minute it was the first prolong period that it felt United would score. That was so true. It always felt that a score was unlikely for 70 minutes and if we did score it would have been a surprise. This is amazing in that we are home against SHF Utd.

My fear is now we are going back to what didn't work before and that is Rooney as AM. So the next match expect Rooney AM and Martial S. I guess LvG doesn't remember all the dire football we suffered through with Rooney as AM.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Unsure if Memphis played well or just made the mistake of thinking he was put on the pitch to try and score a goal.

Also, Van Gaal whining that we need to play with wingers and that in the first half we didn't, when he left two of the three wingers he has on the bench until the second half, and left the third one out of the squad completely due to some random jibberish he made up aboout the "red zone"

I also don't understand why Sheffield United were "brave" or "unlucky"...why is timewasting and not trying to score a goal brave? And why is failing to get a 0-0 draw against a team that can't score goals unlucky, when the reaosn you failed was because of your own player being an idiot?

The worst game of football I've seen since most of our other games this season. It doesn't really matter if we win or lose anymore, because when we win we manage to do it in a way that still makes you furious that you watched the game.
I actually thought Darmian was alarmingly shit... maybe not quite as shit as Mata, but definitely up there... and when them two make up the right side of your pitch, then feck me... it's really feckin' shit.

Tyrion

On the plus side, the fans sarcastically cheering was the best moment of any United game for a few months. It showed a level of creativity and teamwork I thought impossible for people wearing United jerseys.

NK86

Did the blades try and win, there was only one team trying to win. The fact they defended well and we were a bit poor in our final delivery does not take away that they did not deserve a replay.
Since when has 'trying to win' make you deserving winners? They are a team two tiers lower than us in English football and were playing away from home. Obviously they will look for a draw and they came very very close to doing it with resolute defending.

If you are forgetting we have done similar under Fergie in Europe. Set up to not concede and maybe nick on one the counter. We defended resolutely in those matches and deserved the draw/win when we did get them. This notion that just because a team tries to settle for a draw means they deserve to lose is nonsense.

RedStarUnited

Why do we bother working it out wide? it honestly seems to be our only way of attacking and we are utterly shit at it. We don't have any player that crosses well, and even if we did, there is never enough bodies in the middle to make the game plan work.

Spock

Watching this United 15/16 side is driving me bonkers. We actually have some pretty decent players. Individually, there's some quality out there although we're short of goal scorers.

But today it wasn't a case of poor finishing, but poor play overall in the last third. Sheffield packed the last third but we weren't event attempting to cut them open. We weren't trying anything until the subs came on.

Deserving winners? Sure. But we played without honor and passion. I've cut this manager a lot of slack but I was done with him in December and see no reason why he should remain on the job...unless and only if Pep has already shaken hands with Woody to take over the day after the season is over.

Enough is enough.

SalfordRed1960

Since when has 'trying to win' make you deserving winners? They are a team two tiers lower than us in English football and were playing away from home. Obviously they will look for a draw and they came very very close to doing it with resolute defending.

If you are forgetting we have done similar under Fergie in Europe. Set up to not concede and maybe nick on one the counter. We defended resolutely in those matches and deserved the draw/win when we did get them. This notion that just because a team tries to settle for a draw means they deserve to lose is nonsense.
And just because you pissed off with not seeing full on attacking football that batters a lower league team does not mean you should cloud your judgement. United played to win and they won simple. They didn't settle for a draw, they went for a win, so yes they deserved it.

NK86

And just because you pissed off with not seeing full on attacking football that batters a lower league team does not mean you should cloud your judgement. United played to win and they won simple. They didn't settle for a draw, they went for a win, so yes they deserved it.
No. That is the fallacy in your argument. Wanting to win does not equate to deserving to win. If that were the case, Arsenal should logically be the deserved winners of every match they play even when they lose. Do you believe that for one second?

bri2013

Just been watching match of the day. They produced a stat showing only 1 goal scored in the last ten games in the first half at old Trafford. And Norwich scored that!!

I can't get my head around that and that is why I think LVG has to go.

SalfordRed1960

No. That is the fallacy in your argument. Wanting to win does not equate to deserving to win. If that were the case, Arsenal should logically be the deserved winners of every match they play even when they lose. Do you believe that for one second?
There is no fallacy, I can't believe that just because people are pissed off with the football they can ignore the fact that United played practically the whole game prodding their defense. Sure they defended well and there were a lot of piss poor crosses and passes. But whether it was a penalty, deflection, free kick or open play goal. Getting it was enough to win the game. If you believe it was undeserved I would love to understand that logic, and them being a lower league team is not a reason.

NK86

There is no fallacy, I can't believe that just because people are pissed off with the football they can ignore the fact that United played practically the whole game prodding their defense. Sure they defended well and there were a lot of piss poor crosses and passes. But whether it was a penalty, deflection, free kick or open play goal. Getting it was enough to win the game. If you believe it was undeserved I would love to understand that logic, and them being a lower league team is not a reason.
Because we hardly ever worked their keeper. As I said, wanting to win does not mean you deserve to win. We could have been in their penalty box with all our 10 outfield players the entire game, but that does not mean we deserve to win. As you said, we had plenty of poor crosses and no clean opportunity to score. We didn't even come close to testing their keeper the whole match. Then how you say we were deserved winners? Yes we wanted the win more but that hardly matters considering we were playing at home to a League 1 side. Wanting a win should be the norm in such matches.

SalfordRed1960

Because we hardly ever worked their keeper. As I said, wanting to win does not mean you deserve to win. We could have been in their penalty box with all our 10 outfield players the entire game, but that does not mean we deserve to win. As you said, we had plenty of poor crosses and no clean opportunity to score. We didn't even come close to testing their keeper the whole match. Then how you say we were deserved winners? Yes we wanted the win more but that hardly matters considering we were playing at home to a League 1 side. Wanting a win should be the norm in such matches.
I am sorry I don't get your argument. We are a PL side, them a lower league so we should be expected to win. We are the better side, so we have more of the ball, and because of their tactics or our play, the whole game is played around their box. Because of that open chances are rare, their keeper is therefore not called into too much action. However, because we keep attacking, we force a penalty and score from it. But because they are a lower league team we do not deserve the win. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
First game were i've actually fallen asleep during it. It really says something when basically a full strength United side is put out against lower league opposition and we still struggle to create any actual chances. If that doesn't tell LVG that there are issues with how we are currently playing, or the players he is selecting/giving instructions, then nothing will.

Sb_16

My stream had the video at a bit fast paced. Made the viewing so much better. Didn't know it at the time but its safe to say I'll be going back to that link for the next match too.

bri2013

I am sorry I don't get your argument. We are a PL side, them a lower league so we should be expected to win. We are the better side, so we have more of the ball, and because of their tactics or our play, the whole game is played around their box. Because of that open chances are rare, their keeper is therefore not called into too much action. However, because we keep attacking, we force a penalty and score from it. But because they are a lower league team we do not deserve the win. That just doesn't sit well with me.
Are you LVG?

NK86

Well, just because we had more of the ball around their penalty area does not equate to deserving a win, IMO. I will leave it at that because we are going around in circles.

bri2013

Well, just because we had more of the ball around their penalty area does not equate to deserving a win, IMO. I will leave it at that because we are going around in circles.
Think we had 2 shots on target in the whole game? That says it all for me! And it's not unusual under LVG. And that alone tells me he isn't suitable for us going forward.

mu77

this would be a summary of our entire season regardless of the level of competition. the end result is one of luck of the draw. it was our first team at home. awful football from both sides.

Varun

Staff
My brother had to wake me up twice during the 2nd half. The 3rd time it happened, I realised there wasn't any point to it and went to bed.

We should look for ways to package our performances as a sleep inducing drug, billions to be made with this potent shit.

MDFC Manager

My brother had to wake me up twice during the 2nd half. The 3rd time it happened, I realised there wasn't any point to it and went to bed.

We should look for ways to package our performances as a sleep inducing drug, billions to be made with this potent shit.
I fell asleep watching sometime in the first half. Woke up just after Rooney scored. Did a "meh" and went back to sleep without even waiting for the full time whistle

POF

It is easier to defend than to attack LvG says. Well, it depends on the intensity of an attack. Mostly, it is much more stressful and difficult to defend than to attack, especially when playing against an opponent which is a couple of leagues above.
I agree with him. Setting up defensively is much easier than being fluid in attack. Shame that after all the money he spent all he has accomplished is the "easy" part.

pacifictheme

It was awful.

We deserved the win, if only because we did try to win the match. Even if we made a pretty awful job of it...

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd