PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2016

Ixion

I just noticed we lost the possession 54-46. I'm outraged now, #VanGaalOut

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Better than the recent dross. Disappointing not to get the 3 points but excellent performance from Rooney and at least we created plenty and scored 3 goals. Clearly, the balance between attack and defence needs tuning, but I can see us building from here. I just hope Van Gaal doesn't revert back to no risk, coma-inducing football after tonight's game.
Reading between the lines at his post-match interview he was not satisfied with the way team played.

RedFish

Rooney looks gutted
Good. He should be, with that performance and leading the team by example for a change. Hopefully he carries on in the same vein with the team following suit. Don't want to get my hopes up too much though, it's only taken him 1/2 the season to get going....

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
  • We let ourselves down in attack (seems odd typing that given we scored 3) - Newcastle allowed us space in the final third that we haven't had in a long time this season - we should have taken advantage of that.
  • The main reason we didn't, however, was because Herrera was poor at number 10.
  • Martial (despite causing trouble for the defenders) wasn't a goal-threat on the right - why not switch him and Lingard??
  • Smalling was at fault for their first goal and it ultimately cost us the game. It's a shame for him, because he is emerging as a top defender but he had a topsy-turvy night (although the penalty was extremely harsh - how many times does that happen in the box EVERY week and is never given?).
  • Rooney is such an emotionally-driven player. Gets a couple of goals and he looks like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders. His confidence will come in handy sunday.

untitled_6899

Good game for a neutral but for a team that hasn't scored in 4 games it's unforgivable we allowed Newcastle to score 3!

Our top 4 chances are disappearing fast

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So 18 months in and this is where we are. I would say that our league position more or less reflects the house that Van Gaal built. And that just isn't good enough.

manufanatic

"crazy"
When we beat Swansea - they are shit anyway. When we draw to a a Newcastle team that played their hearts out, we are shit. The result hurts, especially since we capitulated in injury time but, this was not an easy game. This was a team that played and that actually gave us the opportunity to create quite a few of our own chances.

Our problem today is our 2 CM were not able to impose themselves. In another thread I mentioned maybe we don't need a new CM but, on the back of that performance and that we were desperate for a Carrick/Schweiny to take control of the midfield - we definitely do need someone unless Morgan Schneiderlin finds a way to start be a big factor in controlling games.

That 3rd goal, can't believe we just were not able to get the ball clear before the cross.

Just hope that LVG does not make us go back in our shell. If we can get Carrick back and drop the likes of Fellaini - we will be a lot better off.
Spot on you and I are on the same page. If Newcastle had stayed behind the ball it would have been like all of the other games. Fair play to them and it made it a exciting game. Our midfielder needs help and we need to get rid of fellaini and get a creative strong midfielder whatever the price is. Also blind is not a CB when teams play us he is exposed and it cause Smalling to make mistakes. The defense isn't as good as some people think it needs serious help. We need another CB next to Smalling and we need shaw back of course. If lingard are fellaini had scored then it would have been a good result but the questions remain. These players need to put out a great shift vs Liverpool and win that game. If we lose it the top 4 might be a fantasy to us.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm more pro-LvG than the rest of the posters here but I'm seriously disliking him as a person for his reactions to the Lingard and Fellaini misses, especially Lingard. Like a petulant child lashing out.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
What about the 3 good chances that we should have buried, would you blame the players for those?
If you score 3 goals you should always win the game, always

Would have been nice to score a goal more and we definitley had the chances to do it but if you scored already 3 goals then the fault for not winning the match is not with the attackers.

acrebo

As most have said, entertaining but a pretty worrying sign of what we've become.

Better in attack with players willing to take gambles. Unfortunately it seems we're so out of touch with creating chances that we've lost some composure.

Martial looked good again but he needs to find a bit more end product.

Memphis again looked good as an impact player going forwards - the ball seems to be sticking to his feet better recently. However, I've never seen a winger defend so badly! He was useless for their equaliser.

Fellaini can leave the club tomorrow for all I care. He's everything I dislike about the club at the moment and, I know he's only doing his best and he certainly tries hard, he's just a completely wrong fit. Hopeless.

Defensively we weren't great tonight, Smalling was given the runaround and I think that is largely down to Blind's lack of positional sense. He's good at recovering but left gaps too often.

If we're continuing to judge on results and chances to make the top 4, we've taken another setback. Can't see us winning on the weekend.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Van Gaal saying Fellaini can't head. :wenger:

He's pretty shit for his size to be fair. 7/10 times he gives a foul away, 2/10 he loses the dual and 1/10 he wins the header and nods it down to the opposition.

manufanatic

"crazy"
I'm more pro-LvG than the rest of the posters here but I'm seriously disliking him as a person for his reactions to the Lingard and Fellaini misses, especially Lingard. Like a petulant child lashing out.
I'm pro LVG as well but I agree his post match interview was well not good. However he showed so much emotions today so I expected his tone after the game. Like Rooney he looked gutted finally the manager and the players are showing they care. That's what the supporters want. All will be forgiven if we beat the scouser on Sunday.

GeneralGattuso

Remember when he fooled us into believing that we're atleast sorted out from tactical-defensive point of view?

Well shit. Get him out asap.
No he was compensating for our awful defense, not fooling us. Remember the Leicester game? LVG just gave us what we have been asking for, he's probably making a point - we can attack but our defense is shit, but since we can't win 1-0 anymore we might as well be entertaining.

Hed Zitin

That CM performance was brutal. They really were pathetic. End to end games mean the CM has no control and there was zero protection for the defenders.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm pro LVG as well but I agree his post match interview was well not good. However he showed so much emotions today so I expected his tone after the game. Like Rooney he looked gutted finally the manager and the players are showing they care. That's what the supporters want. All will be forgiven if we beat the scouser on Sunday.
What did he say?
I was referring to the way he reacted on the bench...

manufanatic

"crazy"
As most have said, entertaining but a pretty worrying sign of what we've become.

Better in attack with players willing to take gambles. Unfortunately it seems we're so out of touch with creating chances that we've lost some composure.

Martial looked good again but he needs to find a bit more end product.

Memphis again looked good as an impact player going forwards - the ball seems to be sticking to his feet better recently. However, I've never seen a winger defend so badly! He was useless for their equaliser.

Fellaini can leave the club tomorrow for all I care. He's everything I dislike about the club at the moment and, I know he's only doing his best and he certainly tries hard, he's just a completely wrong fit. Hopeless.

Defensively we weren't great tonight, Smalling was given the runaround and I think that is largely down to Blind's lack of positional sense. He's good at recovering but left gaps too often.

If we're continuing to judge on results and chances to make the top 4, we've taken another setback. Can't see us winning on the weekend.
I'm agree especially about blind he has a great football brain but he isn't a CB and sometimes his play impacts a real CB like Smalling the defense lost the game today and yes I saw before the last goal that Memphis was out of position but he is young and a talented player. Personally I think we will beat Liverpool especially if carrick or Bastian is available.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What about the 3 good chances that we should have buried, would you blame the players for those?
We scored 3 against a Newcastle team that hadn't scored in their previous 4 games. How many goals should we need to score to ensure that we get 3 points against a team so dire?

Red-Jeff

If you score 3 goals you should always win the game, always

Would have been nice to score a goal more and we definitley had the chances to do it but if you scored already 3 goals then the fault for not winning the match is not with the attackers.
Just because they scored and played well for much of the game does not absolve the attack from responsibility when they miss clear chances. Don't getme wrong, our defence takes more blame but the attack definitely should have done better with those chances. There is not one decent player or coach out there that wouldn't be upset with those misses even if they were up 3-0.

goin4glory

Schneiderlin had a good game, made plenty of tackles and interceptions. Not sure what exactly he's supposed to do when Smalling goes ball watching for goal 1 and WWE tackles Mitrovic for the penalty. Even the 3rd goal is Memphis being wasteful and a deflected shot.

manufanatic

"crazy"
We scored 3 against a Newcastle team that hadn't scored in their previous 4 games. How many goals should we need to score to ensure that we get 3 points against a team so dire?
This game vs similar to Leicester last year and then LVG changed his system so we will see what he does now. Personally spend the money get verane from real and get a creative midfielder

Red-Jeff

Of course.

I'd argue Newcastle should also have scored a few more.
Yeah they had two really good chances off the top of my head, obviously excluding those they scored. Even if 100% conversion isn't usually attainable, you still strive for it and regret missing chances that were of such high quality.

RedFish

He's coached Lingard specifically about taking a touch (when time allows) before shooting to increase his success of scoring. (From the presser post Watford IIRC). LVG is getting impatient and seems to be flapping a bit now. A tad worrying really.

manufanatic

"crazy"
Schneiderlin had a good game, made plenty of tackles and interceptions. Not sure what exactly he's supposed to do when Smalling goes ball watching for goal 1 and WWE tackles Mitrovic for the penalty. Even the 3rd goal is Memphis being wasteful and a deflected shot.
Morgan is valuable and played his game but he needs a creative midfielder that is strong in possession unlike Herrera and Mata who sometimes get pushed of the ball. Bastain from 5 years ago would be perfect or scholes.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
This game has shown me for the fraud I am.
I thought I wanted exciting football, I dont. I just want to win.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This game vs similar to Leicester last year and then LVG changed his system so we will see what he does now. Personally spend the money get verane from real and get a creative midfielder
We're not getting Varane :lol:

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Newcastle 0:0 Man Utd