PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2016

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
What an amazing game.
Am I the only one that didn't think it was a great game?

Sure, it was better than a 0-0, but to me it just felt like two sloppy teams being as incompetent as eachother.
That's basically what the premier league is these days. Low quality, high entertainment

Red-Jeff

Agreed, but I do think you're being a tad harsh with Rooney. Lingard's and Fellaini's chances were so much easier to put away.
I really think he should have put that away and done better with the ball that Collocini got a foot on when 1v1. Other than those he was very good today.

Cathy Ferguson

Fellaini missed like 6 game changing sitters in the past months. He needs to feck off.
I agree, all he had to do was to score from 4 yards out, and he managed to hit the keeper. If he had made it 4-2 we would have won the game.

prath92

We were poor at the back because Smalling had a bad game. He is our best defender and that will affect us obviously. No body's fault really as Smalling cant do everything right. Other 3 were decent, even though darmian was poor for the last goal

Heinzesight

I didn't say it was LVG's fault. I was pointing at Fellaini. The clumsy feck can get the heck out of my club. I never hate any player but I despise him and it makes me wana punch Moyes so hard for buying him.
The only United player I've genuinely ever dispised. He's a joke, a clown and is a shit stain on the club.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We love keeping possession so much, why the feck couldn't we do that for the last 5 minutes?? fecking livid!
From what I have seen of us, we have 2 modes:
Mode1: high possession, can't score, but also don't concede. We can play any team for hours and do a 0-0.
Mode2: attack & 50-50 possession. In this mode, we can score goals, but we also concede plenty of goals.

Once a Mode has been selected, we are unable to change.
If we start with Mode1, we will continue with Mode1 for the whole game.
If we start with Mode2, we will continue with Mode2, for the entire game.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Individual errors. Shots that should have been converted and defensive lapses.

Nothing wrong with van Gaal's tactics or subs today.
But absolving him of any blame for what happens on the pitch means any credit cannot be claimed. So what is his responsibility?

Stretford End Phil

The good: We actually had phases of excellent play. Rooney's goal was great. Jesse was excellent and can be forgiven for missing the chance. Ander was exceptional - bossed the game at times. Some good moves.

The bad: Every time we took the lead we let them get back into the game by backing off challenges. Their forward passing should be a lesson to us - their attack always threatened and seriously unnerved our defence. Smalling lost his composure and was stupid with the penalty but he'd been doing silliy things all game. Blind can be a liability at times. I don't understand why Jesse was following and tackling an opponent into the area. Someone please explain Fellaini to me...

No consistency from one game to the next and another 2 points lost.

Ixion

It was a penalty but we were slightly fortunate to go 1-0 so quickly especially since they had dominated possession till then. As games go on we get more anxious about scoring so it helped a lot to get a goal so quickly and it meant we could play more on the counter attack.

RedOldBoy

Agreed although it does seem he cannot find any balance with his tactics. We either are woeful in defence and an attacking threat or solid in defence and not a threat. Either way, we are too wasteful. But we still need a better manager.
This is actually true. Although he was forced to use Fellaini today due to Carrick and Schweini missing. But in general we are never good in both attacking and defending it's either one of those. Coaching staff also to blame for the lack f defensive organisation.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Mode1: high possession, can't score, but also don't concede. We can any team for hours and do a 0-0.
Mode2: attack & 50-50 possession. In this mode, we can score goals, but we also concede plenty of goals.

So basically, we're shit!

Heinzesight

Mode1: high possession, can't score, but also don't concede. We can any team for hours and do a 0-0.

So true! We just can't seem to mix it up. So frustrating.

Roboc7

At least it was exciting, but poor performance and result. Be amazed if we make top four, so many problems with the team.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Louis saying we've thrown it away. Correct. Calmly called Rooney out for missing a chance too while mildly bothering to defend penalties (for and against).

acnumber9

This is actually true. Although he was forced to use Fellaini today due to Carrick and Schweini missing. But in general we are never good in both attacking and defending it's either one of those. Coaching staff also to blame for the lack f defensive organisation.
He wasn't forced to do that though. Herrera is a midfielder and he could've played somebody else behind Rooney.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Just because the game was more exciting than normal we still played poor and still couldn't cant win a game.

Shimo

When we beat Swansea - they are shit anyway. When we draw to a a Newcastle team that played their hearts out, we are shit. The result hurts, especially since we capitulated in injury time but, this was not an easy game. This was a team that played and that actually gave us the opportunity to create quite a few of our own chances.

Our problem today is our 2 CM were not able to impose themselves. In another thread I mentioned maybe we don't need a new CM but, on the back of that performance and that we were desperate for a Carrick/Schweiny to take control of the midfield - we definitely do need someone unless Morgan Schneiderlin finds a way to start be a big factor in controlling games.

That 3rd goal, can't believe we just were not able to get the ball clear before the cross.

Just hope that LVG does not make us go back in our shell. If we can get Carrick back and drop the likes of Fellaini - we will be a lot better off.

mancan92

Honestly we win this game without fellaini. Absolutely no composure on the ball and lost every single midfield battle and header. What'd the point in him if he can't win a header. I won't hate on Mike too much as he's been great but this was probably one of his poorest in a united shirt. Rooney was the best he has been for about 2 seasons. Motm for me. Also why can't we keep possession when we attack? Go 3-2 up and just keep it for the rest of the match, isn't that why we have spent the last 18 months learning possession football?

Roboc7

Might be exciting but not when we can't finish and are being buggered at the other side.
Yeah I agree but I couldn't stomach another 0-0, we are a poor team either way though. Manager and players aren't good enough.

lysglimt

Scout
Should have won - could have lost. But it's one of the first games in a long time where it hasn't been embarrassing to be a United-fan

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I barely heard the name "Morgan Schneiderlin" in the commentary, during the game.
The only time I noticed him was in the slow motion replay of one of the penalties.
Maybe he was brilliant today, but I never noticed it myself.

manufanatic

"crazy"
Watching the commentary in the states they are clueless the reason we played more open is because Newcastle played instead of sitting behind the ball no excuses for our defense they lost this game.

RedFish

Better than the recent dross. Disappointing not to get the 3 points but excellent performance from Rooney and at least we created plenty and scored 3 goals. Clearly, the balance between attack and defence needs tuning, but I can see us building from here. I just hope Van Gaal doesn't revert back to no risk, coma-inducing football after tonight's game.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Maybe this is why LVG keeps asking his midfielders to focus on defence and not on attack...because our defence is shockingly bad when allowed to defend by themselves.
I'm not blaming players for this fiasco. Young playing on the right, Darmian left, and a midfielder in central defence. All out of their natural positions.

JackXX

Was a very entertaining game and I enjoyed it. Think a lot of praise goes to Newcastle for the way they approached the game. It wouldn't have been as good if they had 10 or 11 men behind the ball and that's my worry for next time. We've shown how well we can attack in an open game but I worry if we will revert back to old ways as soon as a side sits back and let's us have the ball.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Newcastle 0:0 Man Utd
  • 19% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd