Post Match United v Blackburn

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
What else could Ferguson done? Valencia isn't a CM either.
I'm no Sherlock but i think it is fair to say Valencia would've been better in CM than Rafael, also if it was that bad then where was Gibson or even Rooney, surely either of them should've played ahead of Rafael.

Whatever way you look at it Fergie made an error...

CantonaVeron

Ferguson said we lost our start of the season form because we couldn't get a consistant team out. Well I know we have injuries but thats what we should be looking to do. We are missing some key players which makes it essential to pick the other key players not rest them. There is no way Rooney is injured it was clearly a gamble that has massively backfired. Put Rooney and Giggs in that team and we have alot more creativity and a lot more leadership.

Add that to the fact we have defenders in midfield, wingers in defence, central midfielders in defence. One key part of our really good run as been Carrick in midfield. Why not play him there and bring in Fryers at the back. Sure we are unlucky with injuries back there but to weaken another area of the team to patch it up is wrong. We probably wouldn't have needed a defence if Carrick and Anderson started centrally from the start.

Its just a joke, City already have a billion pound advantage over us without helping them out playing everyone out of position, my only suprise was Lingegard wasn't brough on upfront, baring City each one of our defeats this season has been down to team selection and taking opposition to lightly, it must stop we can't afford anymore mistakes.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Valencia has played CM for his national side. If Anderson was fit enough to come on, couldn't he have started and come off later in the game?

The selection was baffling to say the least. You have to play people in their normal positions.
But Valencia isn't a CM. he's played RB for us plenty of times.

Basically you have a few players who can't play CM, and a CM space open.

The only CM we DO have, HAS to go at CB because we've got no fecking defenders.

Incredible.

I can't believe this thread gets so big and the 5-0 threads remained dead. Sums it up. Some of you only are here to talk about the bad times, when there is more good ones at this club than anywhere else in the world. I'm fed up of coming on here and reading the same shite. Half of you were saying Berbatov should be subbed in the first half.

We just can't cope with the injuries.

IF Evans and Anderson were fully fit. We'd have won that game. No doubt. We HAD to put square pegs in round holes.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm no Sherlock but i think it is fair to say Valencia would've been better in CM than Rafael, also if it was that bad then where was Gibson or even Rooney, surely either of them should've played ahead of Rafael.

Whatever way you look at it Fergie made an error...
Gibson and Rooney weren't there because they weren't fit. Rooney hadn't trained all week and had a knock and Gibson wasn't in the team over Diouf or Keane when we have no CM's, I'd say it's likely he couldn't play.

Valencia might not have been a better CM than Rafa. I can certainly see the danger in putting Rafael and Carrick on the right side of defence, when they've got Yakubu to deal with.

prateik

We have enough 'bodies'
we need to get them fit.
We could do with 1 central midfielder. No real room for anyone else in the squad.
and that place wont be filled by some makeshift player. We'll wait/bargain/look till we get someone who is top quality.

I really dont expect too much in the transfer window.
And about momentum. This wasnt a full strength side losing at home. The players will come in who didnt play today. It shouldnt really matter.
We've had these before. We have one of these every season.

the 3-0 against Fulham was similar. De Laet and Carrick at the back that day.
We move on

gulli_G

i cant believe how badly we played, but can't blame everything on the players, most were well out of position, would rather play Gibson in midfield than park, whatever happened we needed Rooney today, Fergie could rest him anthoer day, if we won today, it would be the first time City would be under pressure, but does this every year, disrespects the lower teams

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If ANY other club had this many injuries, I think they would have played much worse than us in that game. I honestly am surprised so many people thought we'd win so comfortably.
If he would have started the game with the players playing in their natural positions then we would probably have won the game quite comfortably.

Out of the entire outfield starting team only Nani, Berbatov, Evra and Jones were in their natural positions.

Fergie fecked up just as badly as DDG or any other scapegoat people want to blame.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
What peeves me off is the constant rotation, its not this season but it also happened last season too.

I know we have injuries this season, no one is doubting that at all but i get a feeling that Fergie took the Wigan and Blackburn games lightly and was simply focussing on the Newcastle game..

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
said it before. saying it again. these kind of losses are not something that should be allowed to be repeated over a season. frankly, we have lost quite a few bad ones this season. despite the season being one for development for young ones, there is a need for more spine in the display.

Edmeiste

Our first half did us no favors at all. Poor team selection. Two factors that killed us today.

1. Team selection
2. Injuries

Only having one recognized CB in our squad is ridiculous. Carrick is no CB

TheReligion

Abusive

Incredible.

I can't believe this thread gets so big and the 5-0 threads remained dead. Sums it up. Some of you only are here to talk about the bad times, when there is more good ones at this club than anywhere else in the world. I'm fed up of coming on here and reading the same shite. Half of you were saying Berbatov should be subbed in the first half.

IF Evans and Anderson were fully fit. We'd have won that game. No doubt. We HAD to put square pegs in round holes.
Where was Giggs, Rooney and Gibson? Those players can all play CM, Gibson is actually a CM. Anderson was clearly fit enough to play 45 minutes so why not play him there?

Come on, you are clutching at things here. Rafael did not HAVE to start in midfield. He should have played his normal position at full back with Valencia and Nani on the flanks.

Daft selection all things considered. Would have made more sense to play a younger player like Pogba, Morrison or Fryers.

mu77

If ANY other club had this many injuries, I think they would have played much worse than us in that game. I honestly am surprised so many people thought we'd win so comfortably.
like um.... blackburn -it wasn't exactly the best 11 they've got is it? set up was fecked up at ko and righted at halftime. the blackburn back 4 and midf was as weakened by injuries as ours no? they played youth players in their positions , like that young rback at rback. not in midf , they played young midf's in midf.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
said it before. saying it again. these kind of losses are not something that should be allowed to be repeated over a season. frankly, we have lost quite a few bad ones this season. despite the season being one for development for young ones, there is a need for more spine in the display.
I know it's pissing me off now. All the losses this season are taking it's toll. fecking Blackburn and Man City. We need more spine and to start picking up more points like we would have done a few seasons ago.

:wenger:

gulli_G

We have enough 'bodies'
we need to get them fit.
We could do with 1 central midfielder. No real room for anyone else in the squad.
and that place wont be filled by some makeshift player. We'll wait/bargain/look till we get someone who is top quality.

I really dont expect too much in the transfer window.
And about momentum. This wasnt a full strength side losing at home. The players will come in who didnt play today. It shouldnt really matter.
We've had these before. We have one of these every season.

the 3-0 against Fulham was similar. De Laet and Carrick at the back that day.
We move on
with fletcher out, Fergie definitely needs at least one midfielder, either that or introduce Pogba slowly.

Edmeiste

i cant believe how badly we played, but can't blame everything on the players, most were well out of position, would rather play Gibson in midfield than park, whatever happened we needed Rooney today, Fergie could rest him anthoer day, if we won today, it would be the first time City would be under pressure, but does this every year, disrespects the lower teams
the difference between the two halves was remarkable. Just shows what happens when you play players out of position. Hesistant. Less confident. We came out flying in the second half but it wasn't enough. Thankfully Anderson is back. Now just need to sort out that defense.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
like um.... blackburn -it wasn't exactly the best 11 they've got is it? set up was fecked up at ko and righted at halftime. the blackburn back 4 and midf was as weakened by injuries as ours no? they played youth players in their positions , like that young rback at rback. not in midf , they played young midf's in midf.
We have young centre backs and midfielders.. who are injured as well.

Players like Smalling/Jones/Anderson/Cleverly. They were injured.

I can honestly say I think this is the worst injury crisis in the prem ever. I can't believe we've got so many players out.

stubie

Our first half did us no favors at all. Poor team selection. Two factors that killed us today.

1. Team selection
2. Injuries

Only having one recognized CB in our squad is ridiculous. Carrick is no CB
What else can Fergie do when we have most of our defenders missing?

Another below par performance cost us today

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
the difference between the two halves was remarkable. Just shows what happens when you play players out of position. Hesistant. Less confident. We came out flying in the second half but it wasn't enough. Thankfully Anderson is back. Now just need to sort out that defense.
I've got a feeling that Anderson "isn't" back. If he was fit enough he'd have played today. Probably was hoping to save him for Newcastle, where I'd now be very surprised if he's availible.

Jacob

got what we deserved
this policy of believing that putting square pegs into round holes is good enough to beat 'smaller' teams has been found out..again
respect your opponents (and that goes to our fans too.. one predicted 8-0 ffs!)

we have no leaders on the pitch today. bunch of fecking midgets who are happy to let the keeper take the blame
That was me, but to be fair, I said 8-0 OR 2-1.. the latter wasn't far off, if only De Gea could handle crosses, I think we'd do them 3-2.

Cantona07

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
No big deal? Did you see us play? If we had played well and lost to a good team then yes I can understand. But to Blackburn-freakin-Rovers? Three points that could decide who gets the title.
Been through worse. Yes its 3 points dropped. We were unlucky. No disgrace in losing to BB. Our league position is excellent. So dont worry. B E L I E V E;)

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Incredible.

We didn't need to put so many "square pegs in round holes" though did we?

The team selection and subsequent result was fecking infuriating. People are going to vent their frustration whether you like it or not.

I actually like to see fans venting, it shows how passionate they are.

Cina

1. Pathetic team selection from the start. Fergie knew he dropped a bollock by changing it at half time.
2. Those who reckon Jones is a better defender than midfielder may want to take another look.
3. Evra is a fecking joke, and has been for a long time. He's not worth a place in our team.
4. We played a right back in central midfield and a right winger who can play central midfield at right back.
5. Lacking sharpness or not, Anderson should have started. He added balance to our team.
6. Hernandez is useless in the build up.
7. Berbatov showed the most heart and desire of all our players. But he was a silly cnut on the penalty.
8. Nani was a joke. Should have been hooked.
9. De Gea proved to be rather useless today. Blackburn had three shots on target and scored with all three. Carrick and Jones were poor on their second, but De Gea just compounded it. His attempted catch on their winner was farcical. Having No One in goal would have been better. Despite the stinging critique, he has one thing in his favour - cant blame him for ring rust when we feck around so much with the keepers.
10. City won't lose against a lowly team at the Etihad this season.
11. feck off.
:lol: Who are you and what have you done to Feed Me?

Most of that is true though.

gulli_G

That was me, but to be fair, I said 8-0 OR 2-1.. the latter wasn't far off, if only De Gea could handle crosses, I think we'd do them 3-2.
its your fault, sack Jacob, sell Giggs :eek:

kiddaa

I blame SAF tatics for this defeat. by playing players out of position too many times. If Anderson was fit, why not play him from the start. Whats the point of playing Rafael at midfield when you have Pogba and Anderson on the bench?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Gibson and Rooney weren't there because they weren't fit. Rooney hadn't trained all week and had a knock and Gibson wasn't in the team over Diouf or Keane when we have no CM's, I'd say it's likely he couldn't play.

Valencia might not have been a better CM than Rafa. I can certainly see the danger in putting Rafael and Carrick on the right side of defence, when they've got Yakubu to deal with.
That doesn't make sense, surely it is obvious that Valencia would've been better suited in CM than Rafael, also bearing in mind Rafael has been injured for a number of weeks and then to be asked to play in an alien position cannot only be described as silly.

If Rooney was truly injured then why not play Pogba, so the whole situation does not make sense to me..

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We didn't need to put so many "square pegs in round holes" though did we?

The team selection and subsequent result was fecking infuriating. People are going to vent their frustration whether you like it or not.

I actually like to see fans venting, it shows how passionate they are.
I don't think it shows passion. I think if you were that passionate, you'd be equally as willing to contribute when it's 5-0 wins.

No what I think it shows is a belief that we should win every easy game. Liverpool/Arsenal/United have dropped points to Blackburn this year, other big clubs will as well.

I think sometimes you have to say "we gave it a go, and we didn't win". Especially with around 14 players out who'd be able to play in their proper positions.

No instead you have to many fans who think they know more than Sir Alex Ferguson. Fans calling him "tinkerbell" and fans who demand more players in.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I think the biggest problem going forward today was that even though we played two wingers all to often we tried to go through the middle, and when we did get the ball out wide the crosses where high balls in. No way were our strikers going to win a high ball header against Blackburn and especially Samba today.

mu77

How would you have lined up the players today?
back 4 with rb who was instead lined up in midf.
play a wide right player like valencia at rw.
play one of rooney , gibson , giggs or anderson in ctr mid with park
nani on the left and one of the three strikers on the bench.but

that's my set up which is why i coach u14.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Injuries or not, the starting line up was just pathetic.

Anderson was presumably not deemed fit enough to start after injury. Yet Rafael, who's also been injured, was okay to start, and out of position? And we start him in central midfield when Valencia, who has played inside before, was playing at right back.

It was just utterly pathetic stuff from a team selection point of view.

In the grand scheme of things, it's no disaster because three points behind is still manageable. But it's a poor match in isolation. Everything about it was substandard.

Advantage City though - the second 19 matches are easier for them than us.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I blame SAF tatics for this defeat. by playing players out of position too many times. If Anderson was fit, why not play him from the start. Whats the point of playing Rafael at midfield when you have Pogba and Anderson on the bench?
Anderson is back well ahead of what was expected. I am pretty sure if we had more players fit he would not have made the bench

Fergie really did not have enough options available. and you cant throw Pogba in

soapythecat

1. Pathetic team selection from the start. Fergie knew he dropped a bollock by changing it at half time.
2. Those who reckon Jones is a better defender than midfielder may want to take another look.
3. Evra is a fecking joke, and has been for a long time. He's not worth a place in our team.
4. We played a right back in central midfield and a right winger who can play central midfield at right back.
5. Lacking sharpness or not, Anderson should have started. He added balance to our team.
6. Hernandez is useless in the build up.
7. Berbatov showed the most heart and desire of all our players. But he was a silly cnut on the penalty.
8. Nani was a joke. Should have been hooked.
9. De Gea proved to be rather useless today. Blackburn had three shots on target and scored with all three. Carrick and Jones were poor on their second, but De Gea just compounded it. His attempted catch on their winner was farcical. Having No One in goal would have been better. Despite the stinging critique, he has one thing in his favour - cant blame him for ring rust when we feck around so much with the keepers.
10. City won't lose against a lowly team at the Etihad this season.11. feck off.
This is the reason why I think today was a massive blow to our title chances. In seasons past teams have blown up....I don't see City doing it. Far to much quality and depth. We dropped a bollock today.

gulli_G

what must the likes of ravel, Pogba be thinking, when they see rafael in their position?

Skholesy

We could have won the game easily with the team that started the second half. The game was lost with the team selection in the first half, with rafael and park in CM, valencia RB, Welbeck on the wing. I know that we came back from two goals down, so could have won it, and plus with a goalkeeping mistake, but none of that would have mattered if we had got the basics right in the first place - play players in their proper fecking positions, or if you have to move players around move them around sensibly, not in a way that every fan clearly see's its a shit decision.

So, what were the consequences of the formation?

1. No fluidity in play obviously as players are lost out there. Rafael managed to string a few passes from CM in first half, but could only keep things simple and not drive forward the way anderson did. Welbeck did nothing out wide.

2. Playing that shit formation meant that we had to come from a goal down, and so started to tire after we got our second.

3. Playing that shit formation also meant that we took off Hernandez, so when it came to 2-2 / 3-2 where we needed a late goal we could only put on a untested striker in Keane..

Fergie's fault, unfortunately, we could have had them if only we played players in decent positions...