Post match v Liverpool

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Just fecking awful.
It feels like I'm the only United fan on Facebook.
Every cnut has come out of the woodwork for this and straight onto my page.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Neville, if you have any bottle . tell souness he is a bitter old bastard and tell tell him to feck off live on TV

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Randers also lost to FC Copenhagen 7-0 today, but they played with 9 men for half an hour :wenger:

OrcaFat

It was a Fred mistake because he allowed Gakpo to run in behind him due to getting attracted to the ball.
A midfield 2 containing Fred is not going to cut it against top teams.

We made a lot of mistakes today but the root problem was having the wrong players on the pitch/ or played in their wrong positions. We should have played Case, Sabitzer and Fred in MF, Bruno RW, Rashford LW, Wout CF. Might have won. Wouldn’t have lost 7-0.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m not sure the first half was “good” in any way. The first 20 minutes were terrible.
It was tactically good because the aim was to go long with the keeper and avoid turning over possession in our defensive third, so Liverpool were always going to have the bulk of possession. We weathered the storm and had established a foot hold in the game and should've opened the scoring. The first half was going fine until Fred's positional error.

We capitulated in the second half with the likes of Shaw and Bruno throwing in the towel.

Waynne

Early this morning ready to leave for work to see the score at 4-0
Arrived at work to 7-0

I'm completely lost.

Waynne

Just fecking awful.
It feels like I'm the only United fan on Facebook.
Every cnut has come out of the woodwork for this and straight onto my page.
Don't worry they always do but when their teams get a twatting they disappear into their caves. Its always going to happen.

cpresc

I actually think we did ok for most of it.

We were the better team in the first half and at 3-0 I thought we were still fighting and trying. But each time we pushed forward obviously we gave Liverpool more space to counter. Their confidence went up and the pressure came off so they started playing relaxed with lots of swagger.

but our players are absolutely mentally and physically knackered - we’ve just had 3 massive games in a row with Barca, the cup win and then the comeback against West Ham. That is really draining and we just completely ran out of steam which made pool look even better.

that said

Shaw had an absolute shocker

Bruno needs to be suspended having asked to be subbed. I like him but that’s an absolute disgrace

OrcaFat

It was tactically good because the aim was to go long with the keeper and avoid turning over possession in our defensive third, so Liverpool were always going to have the bulk of possession. We weathered the storm and had established a foot hold in the game and should've opened the scoring. The first half was going fine until Fred's positional error.

We capitulated in the second half with the likes of Shaw and Bruno throwing in the towel.
It wasn’t going fine. You can’t make a plan that let’s Liverpool have easy possession.

We did have a little spell before they scored but the set up was not likely to win us the game.

Natener

Stoke are not rivals. We still let Arsenal know about the time we beat them 8-2. This one is here forever lads.
Only while they haven't been winning much else. Otherwise, we'll just be small time and absolute knobs for doing that. This 7-0 will only matter when we have no silverware to shut people up, otherwise it'll be another Gerrard kissing cameras while Giggs kisses trophies meme. So let's see where ETH takes us from here.

Red_Aaron

Mental result. Played quite well first half, unlucky to go in behind at the break

Fck knows where that 2nd half came from, players lost their heads and the defending was absolutely unacceptable. Liverpool couldn't believe they're luck - and btw they had a shit tonne of it too - a gutting lesson for a team who have unquestionably turned a corner this season that despite that there's still a way to go until we're the real deal

Our big characters didn't turn up 2nd half at all

Marvin look out

A shocking result partly due to an accumulation of fatigue. I read somewhere we're the team who has played the most games this season. You could tell most players had little energy in the second half and checked out mentally.

Freak results happen to every team and this one, although humiliating, could be a blessing in disguise after all the praise and hype following the League Cup and Barcelona wins. This is ETH's first season and we're still a work in progress. Back to work.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
To play like that in the first half and then go on to lose 7-0 is unbelievable.

It's got to be up there with not just the worst 45 mins on united history, but in the history of top flight professional football. And no, I don't think it's kneejerk to say that.

Oranges038

Mental game. Every player thats been playing well just decided today was the day to have an off day.

MUFC OK

The lack of criticism of the manager for the scoreline NOT the result. Is borderline delusion. He’s presided over the worst result in our history, so to see no criticism is bizarre.

Giggsy13

I honestly didn't think we'd ever see a worse set of results against Liverpool than last season. Now that the initial anger has passed, I'm just in a state where I can't believe what I just watched.

The first half wasn't great from us but we were competitive. Those two goals the other side of half time really did something to those players - all of them seemed to collectively lose their heads and the occasion got to them big time. I'm shocked we didn't do something to stop the bleeding at 3-0, or even 4-0.
First time in months you could truly question what ten Hag was doing. Changes were justified at 2 nil, our midfield was being overrun and Wout and Antony were killing us in the final third. Sabitzer, Garnacho and Sancho should have come on for Wout, Fred and Antony. Hopefully a one off and the players some how manage to pick themselves up against Betis and Southampton.

Speako

Our captain asked to come off. At Anfield. Does it honestly get any worse than that?

Zlatattack

I saw 7-0 and I thought the match day thread was a troll. Went to BBC to double check.

Fk me - what happened!

Keownisacnut

Supports
Glazers out!
Glazers out! Please. The state of our squad is directly linked to their mismanagement, epitomised by the faith they showed in that fecking moron Woodward who facilitated the leveraging of a sporting behemoth for billions in profit. I am passed caring and welcome anyone who will invest in our club for long term success and sustainability. If that is Qatar then so be it. Its tough on ETH and the players who have done so well this season, he needs a couple of transfer windows with an owner who isn't looking to flip us for profit. I hate loosing to the scousers.

Reactions: Sultan

Marcus

Everything which could go wrong went wrong. We are playing every few days and I think this was a bridge too far. It's like we were spinning plates hoping they would not fall. Livepool pressed us relentlessly and we had nothing left in the tank to give in response. Time to regroup.

Waynne

I saw 7-0 and I thought the match day thread was a troll. Went to BBC to double check.

Fk me - what happened!
I'm glad I didn't watch it.
First reason is because the game was on too early here in NZ (5am) and secondly that fecking scoreline would have me turn off the telly at half time.

The squad and gaffer owe the fans big time for this rancid performance. Bounce back and twat the next team by the same scoreline is a minimum requirement.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I can't explain what happened in that second half. Has our recent pile of fixtures finally caught up with us? Of all the days for all eleven players to go missing, why did it have to be today? At 3-0 the game was gone, who was there to organise the team to not concede any more? Where was the captain? Where were the senior players? Where was the team spirt we've seen recently? So many questions.

On the plus side, it's only one game and hopefully we can get back on track against Betis on Thursday and put this one behind us.

Reactions: Sultan

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Worst game in the last decade for us, and very disappointing it had to be under the tenure of ETH.

I hope this game will well and truly kill off any title talk or even more trophies this season. The league cup is all we’re getting. We now need to ensure we stay in the top 4.

It will be borderline impossible to turn up in the next game with our heads held high. The players are human too.

Just goes to show how unpredictable and predictable football is at times. Our form at Anfield is woeful but who was expecting this dismantling.

Okey

Freak result. A performance beyond description. Erik has to take this one on the chin. Naive? Too high on yet to be baked in confidence? Yeah the pitch is same size and so is the ball but this game is always different. Hard to say we used our personnel the best way. But hey, he's earned our confidence. We move on. Terrible day at the office. Hurts more when it's this lot.

Kevzter

A midfield 2 containing Fred is not going to cut it against top teams.

We made a lot of mistakes today but the root problem was having the wrong players on the pitch/ or played in their wrong positions. We should have played Case, Sabitzer and Fred in MF, Bruno RW, Rashford LW, Wout CF. Might have won. Wouldn’t have lost 7-0.
Agree with this 100%. Nail on the head buddy. ETH has been tinkering too much with player positions. Today this messed up the "gelling" of the patterns of play or flow that we are used to or have built this season. I think this is why we couldn't string 3 passes together to save our lives and kept giving the ball away.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Glazers out! Please. The state of our squad is directly linked to their mismanagement, epitomised by the faith they showed in that fecking moron Woodward who facilitated the leveraging of a sporting behemoth for billions in profit. I am passed caring and welcome anyone who will invest in our club for long term success and sustainability. If that is Qatar then so be it. Its tough on ETH and the players who have done so well this season, he needs a couple of transfer windows with an owner who isn't looking to flip us for profit. I hate loosing to the scousers.
The state of our squad had nothing to do with today's drubbing, the performance of the players and manager were seriously lacking today

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Incredibly naive performance. We tried to go toe-to-toe with them for the entire match which was suicide. If we'd taken any of the chances we created before they scored it could have been different. But once it went to 2:0 then 3:0 so quickly in the second-half we should have gone into damage limitation mode.

You cannot try to outscore Liverpool in a situation like that at Anfield. We just kept pushing forward leaving acres of space behind. They will pick you off and destroy you, which they did. Pack the midfield, knuckle down and limit the damage so you don't end up on the end of a hiding.

Poor game management from Ten Hag today. He should have seen the writing on the wall early in the second-half and avoided a record breaking rout.

I will say though, crazy number of breaks went Liverpool's way today for some of those goals. One of those days really.

We've been due a bad defeat so let's hope we bounce back on Thursday. At least we don't have to wait long to get back on the pitch and put it right.
When you appoint a team builder, you have to take the good along with the bad. He's already made concessions to the original plan and he has gone back to the drawing board on several occasions. One of the reasons we're having a reasonably good season thus far is because, although he comes with a particular set of principles, he's not as rigid as a lot of his colleagues when it comes to the players' roles on the pitch. But he's not going to defend with 11 players behind the ball when he's chasing the score and there are still 40 minutes of football to be played. It should be clear by now that we will (at least) try to play football.

I know that we are the butt of everyone's joke right now, but at least it happened while we were trying to play our game. Not by trying to contain them from the get-go by changing formations and tactics, thus signalling to everyone in and around the first team that we feel inferior to them. This is something ETH can actually use to galvanize the players in order to get a response from them. After a similar defeat at the Etihad (which would have looked as bad, had City not taken the food off the gas pedal) we went on to have our first good run of results. Liverpool are actually having a season like the game we had today, and Klopp hasn't changed his tactics at all to make them more defensive during games. He also comes with a core set of principles. As i said, you're going to accept that there will be good days and not so good ones.

It's true that we look knackered in our recent games. It's also true that when you're playing Liverpool and you're losing all the 50/50s and the second balls, you will probably get a good hiding. People should keep in mind that we are trying to cope with the absence of Martial, Eriksen and Sancho for huge parts of the season. We're currently relying on a Burnley reject, a teenager in his first season in top flight and a loanee to help us achieve our goals for the season. We may not have the ceiling Liverpool/City have when they're at the very top of their game, but we knocked out the La Liga leaders not so long ago.

On the tactical issue, the only thing of real concern is that the most glaring weakness in ETH's plan (and this goes back to his Ajax days) is that, when the man-to-man press is beaten high up the pitch, the opponents can find a direct route to run at the back-four. It cost him the presence in a CL final and it led to some ugly defeats later on in Europe. He has shown improvement, which is an indication that he acknowledges the problem, but there's still plenty of work to be done.

Finally, and with the fact that we are not the finished article yet, maybe this will serve as a reminder that, even when the stats are good and the spirits are high, we can have a conversation about how to move forward. It's good to have players who bring high energy levels to the table, who play with their heart on their sleeve and whose game revolves around being "chaotic" with their positioning on the pitch - or by chasing the ball around like maniacs -, but the final step at the highest level in today's football is all about "control". This is what we mainly lacked today, much more than not having 11 men behind the ball.

OrcaFat

The lack of criticism of the manager for the scoreline NOT the result. Is borderline delusion. He’s presided over the worst result in our history, so to see no criticism is bizarre.
Some posters have criticised the tactics, formation and selections. Goes without saying that ETH has responsibility there.