Post match v Liverpool

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Honestly, the attitude to a 7-0 loss against Liverpool is just fecking puzzling by some on here. Not sure where you live but me having spent a lot of time in the UK, this pisses me off beyond belief.

I never really cared about Liverpool until I had to deal with Liverpool fans in England. It's actually unbearable and it won't be just them - it'll be every other team, including fecking Chelsea as well. Bloody disaster.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The season isn’t over yet. Ask me again in the summer and I’ll ask you the same
We already have secured a better season than them haven't we?

We took 3 points off them at home, they took 3 points at Anfield. That's all that happened. They can chant 7-0 at us and we can chant 20 times at them. Who gives a feck really?

crossy1686

career ending
We don't have the team to win the FA cup or Europa league?

Did you think this as we beat Barcelona and West ham last week?
We won’t win the FA cup, EL and finish in the top 4. We haven’t got the squad to do that, so give me top 4 now and anything else is a bonus.

I couldn’t care less about the EL, and we won’t beat arsenal over two legs anyway, maybe even Juve, not playing like that.

croadyman

Honestly, the attitude to a 7-0 loss against Liverpool is just fecking puzzling by some on here. Not sure where you live but me having spent a lot of time in the UK, this pisses me off beyond belief.
Yeah just laughable how many are just brushing off our worst performance in history

crossy1686

career ending
We already have secured a better season than them haven't we?

We took 3 points off them at home, they took 3 points at Anfield. That's all that happened. They can chant 7-0 at us and we can chant 20 times at them. Who gives a feck really?
There’s 13 games left to go and they’re 7 points behind. They could finish above us yet so I wouldn’t celebrate anything at this point

croadyman

We won’t win the FA cup, EL and finish in the top 4. We haven’t got the squad to do that, so give me top 4 now and anything else is a bonus.

I couldn’t care less about the EL, and we won’t beat arsenal over two legs anyway, maybe even Juve, not playing like that.
Yeah City batter us in FA Cup

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
MOTD2 now, will they start with Notts Forest vs Everton or Liverpool vs Man Utd?

The Hilton

It's a horrible scoreline, but it really was one of those days for us - they're much fresher than we are, which told, and basically everything that could go wrong did for us in that second half - they scored 7 goals from an xG of 2.9, several of the chances happened because of some pinpoint deflections.

It's a horrible result, but some drubbings are to be expected as Erik puts his stamp on this team, what's important is how we bounce back Thursday and Sunday. If we win those, then it doesn't matter, if we don't then we have a big problem.

croadyman

Yeah it’s nothing right, we’ll all just forget about it next week, I’m sure the away fans won’t mention it either…
Southampton and Betis will rub our noses right in it. How they weren't made to run around Carrington tonight is beyond me. Club can also give full refunds to those who stated until the bitter end

crossy1686

career ending
Southampton and Betis will rub our noses right in it. How they weren't made to run around Carrington tonight is beyond me. Club can also give full refunds to those who stated until the bitter end
I wouldn’t start any of them against Betis, just play the kids and give Betis a by to the next round

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
There’s 13 games left to go and they’re 7 points behind. They could finish above us yet so I wouldn’t celebrate anything at this point
I'm not celebrating anything, I'm pointing out we have just had a horrible result, but it's not cost us anything major other than having to listen to piss taking.

We're 7 points ahead, equal games played and they have City and arsenal still to play yet. We also have a trophy won and a QF tie to come and continue on in the Europa league.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Gifting them 6 points every season :rolleyes:

Bite little fishies

captaincantona

I’m still speechless. We let the fact that we are “Man Utd” go to our head. Away in Anfield - once we were 3-0 down - we should have contained them and hit them on the break. Maybe make the shoreline more palatable.

fuking odd performances from Shaw and Casemiro - never seen either so passive and unprofessional.

Bruno also a fuking disgrace. Not a captains performance. Some of his antics plain embarrassing.

Fact is, Liverpool beat us by 7 and played fairly shite. We handed them goals that no team would have turned down. They couldn’t help but score. I’m still in shock. 7-0 and 5-0 to this bunch of fuking eejits….not acceptable.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Tbf, making everyone run more is the last thing we need.

croadyman

It's a horrible scoreline, but it really was one of those days for us - they're much fresher than we are, which told, and basically everything that could go wrong did for us in that second half - they scored 7 goals from an xG of 2.9, several of the chances happened because of some pinpoint deflections.

It's a horrible result, but some drubbings are to be expected as Erik puts his stamp on this team, what's important is how we bounce back Thursday and Sunday. If we win those, then it doesn't matter, if we don't then we have a big problem.
Quit with the fecking excuses,we just got annihilated by scousers for third time in just over a year and that's all you can say

nikineil

what's weird to me is, at our worst we are capable of getting absolutely pummeled by the Scousers, but even at their worst, they still put up a mighty fight.

kaku06

Only positive is that they beat us 4 and 5 nil last season so it might get lost in the fog :nervous:
Worse as those score lines happened in 3 consecutive matches v them, they will make it as 16-0 in 3 matches including a 7-0 at Anfield or some sort of shit like that.

Edit - not 3 consecutive matches, forgot our 2-1 victory over them this season. Yayyyyyy.

The Hilton

Quit with the fecking excuses,we just got annihilated by scousers for third time in just over a year and that's all you can say
Should I be up in arms calling for ETH's head instead?

It's a horrible result yes but the score line is a freak one. The players giving up was clearly unacceptable but I expect that to be addressed. Like I said, if this starts a run of bad results then it's a big problem, but if not it's a horrible one off that we need to avenge next time we get chance.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
If Partey is playing for Arsenal (and Ivan Toney for Brentford) would it not have been better for United to accept the legal situation and get MG back into the team. I read recently the lady whom all that kerfuffle was over is now pregnant with his baby!

P.S. I haven't heard the recordings, I don't want to for personal reasons.

Parma Dewol

Going to struggle to get to sleep tonight, as I still can't comprehend what happened.

Seriously, how? The team selection, tactics and individual performances will be argued 'til the cows come how, but I just don't get it. Frailty in modern football teams seems to be increasing - am I imagining it or are big scorelines a more common thing? Sadly, we seem to be on the receiving end more than most.

It just isn't that rare these days to see any side lose the plot on any given day.

Before today's game I think a lot of United fans would have fancied our chances. That isn't to say we were favourites to win at Anfield, far from it, but on current form, we wouldn't have been surprised to had we away with a point, or even three.

After a quick start by Liverpool, we got a hold of the game and were starting to boss proceedings. At around the half hour mark I had a text from a Liverpool supporter saying "United taking control, one goal and we'll crumble." It felt that way and had we taken one of our chances, who knows. But who would of thought it could twist so quickly, and so dramatically?

They scored with their first shot on target. But hey-ho, we've been so strong mentally this season a lot of us still fancied our chances. Comments in this forum echoed that sentiment - ETH will make some adjustments and get us back into this, one goal and their nerves will kick in. They get a second and, sure, it's a long shot, but with the way we've been playing, and with the chances created in the first half, we should still have been able to stage some form of comeback.

How that second half unfolded defies belief. Some will say we should have started AWB, others will say Fred is a liability, Wout shouldn't be starting, and that Bruno is to blame. But to me it seemed literally every single United player imploded. You have to be fully committed in elite sport, drop off just a little and you'll be found out. We were barely functioning at 10% in that second half, let alone 100.

Could also be argued it was a freak result. Liverpool had 8 shots, 7 went in. But from the state of play, it felt like they could have had 15. Every ball falling to their feet wasn't luck, it was down to the fact that their players were moving, while ours was static, in some form of shock, unable to break out of the malaise. Ball pinging around in our box with barely a reaction, over and over again.

As clinical as Liverpool were, and as well as they played in the second half, I bet they also can't believe their luck. They didn't have to work particularly hard for any of the seven goals.

Miserable result that will live long in the memory, but what pains me right now is that I just can't understand it. Every chance we could lose today, but to fall apart in that manner, in a single half of football, beggars belief. It was 1-0 at half time for God's sake.

We gave up, with over half an hour to play. The manager, the players and everyone involved should be ashamed.

Had some torrid results in recent years, but in a weird way, they didn't matter all that much because we were shite, and we knew it. This one hurts because we thought United were back. One helluva reality check.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was never going to be easy but I don’t think it was a hopeless case to try and stop them getting the ball through the midfield. Hasn’t everyone been saying all year that their midfield is poor? I would have played 3 in MF and remind them that their MF ain’t all that.

It is one thing to bypass our MF when we are trying to progress the ball (not sure if I agree we should be doing that either) but we needed Sabitzer in the MF to help us get it back off them and then pass it to one of ours. You can’t just pretend the MF doesn’t exist as the oppos will just walk all over you. We made it easy for them by not making it hard for them.

So 3 in MF was the way to go. It’s possible the outcome could have been worse but that sounds ridiculous in the circumstances. Liverpool have lost a lot of games this season, including one at home. We’ve been decent. It should have been possible to set up to give us a better chance of winning. I’d go as far as to say we should have beaten them.

The mistakes and the crumbling resolve are what stick out but they are symptoms of the tactics in my opinion. We let Liverpool have the ball and they loved it.
We never set out to control possession for the reasons already stated. But we did try to stop them playing via applying pressure in a coordinated way and things were working out tactically and their early pressure had started to fizzle out. Fred then made a positional error which cost us the first goal. But tactically we were doing exactly as I thought we would against a high pressing Liverpool team at Anfield and had opportunities to score.

Had we tried playing out from the back against a Liverpool team who are good at applying high pressure we would've also lost the game imo. The tactics are only as good as the players who are there to execute them. Erik ten Hag wants to play dominant front foot football and has brought his Ajax to a stronger Liverpool at Anfield in recent years and more than competed against them and even had the bulk of possession. But the difference is that those players were coached by him for several years and those players (starting with the keeper) are adept at building play through the thirds.

Losing 7-0 is unacceptable, but when you concede 6 goals in the second half due to players either giving up or capitulating mentally, then a inquest needs to take place internally. And the only way we will successfully transition into a more proactive team is by upgrading the keeper, RB and CM in the first phase of the build up or else we'll carry on having problems against teams who apply a well coordinated pressing game.

kaku06

Not true. We beat them 2-1 in august. Plus we won the Bangkok trophy which is huge against them…so really it’s 17-6 last 4 games.
Oh well, apologies. Forgot about beating them for the silverware when it mattered. Feels better now actually.