Post match v Liverpool

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe till the first goal but after the second and third surely Anthony must realise Dalot is getting the run around?
At that point we'd lost our discipline as a team. And positionslly we were all over the place due some players giving up and others losing their heads.

cyberman

But it is. We've lost control of games for large periods. West Ham has numerous chances, Leicester did. The final could easily have ended a draw based on each team performed.

Until we start passing the ball well(how long has it been now since we passed the ball well?) we'll always run the risk of big losses.

If you don't pass the ball well and you come up against a team having oneof thoae days where everything goes in you'll get a thumping.

I don't blame ETH. He needs time to get the right players in.

But fans who've convinced themselves we're almost there are in for a big disappointment if we don’t have a brilliant summer.
West Ham is an outlier, we just won a cup days before that.
I’m going through the results here and your point just doesn’t stack up. Not only are we scoring plenty of goals but I’d argue we’ve been wasteful as well. It’s not even long periods, opposition will get on top of us at some stage, that’s the nature of EPL football.
You’re trying to be balanced but you’re every bit as bad as the overly optimistic fans. Youre just on the other side of the scale.
I wouldn’t even call Liverpool one of the big boys this season but, again, we have beaten all of the top 7 at one stage or another this season. This is so stupidly from left field I don’t even think there’s an explanation for it

AFC NimbleThumb

A loss is always crap but losses like this truly ruin weeks not days. Couldn’t care less what we do against Betis currently, obviously want to win but unless we do by 10 clear goals it’ll be difficult to raise more than s smile & the Southampton game is similar, we can win that playing the best football for over a decade & it’ll still be constant references to yesterday.

sugar_kane

As much as I like Antony, something wasn't right yesterday and I doubt he was instructed not to track back.

He was all over the place and, combined with Rashford's lack of tracking and Bruno totally throwing the towel in the second half, it completely ruined any chances we had.

I am thinking that there is a very small chance that Ten Hag instructed both Rashford and Antony to stay upfield to counter but Antony was playing himself offside so many times that if it was indeed tactical, he failed that too.
Aside from Antony's mistake, in the first part of the clip we have one man back (actually well over the half way line) against a team that were absolutely battering us. When we lose the ball nine of our players are in the opposition box. You can't blame Antony for that.

The approach was absurdly naive from the whole team and the manager for allowing it to happen, rather than shutting up shop and sparing some blushes. Instead we've injected our biggest rivals with an insane amount of confidence, heaped a ton of pressure on ourselves, smashed any momentum we had going and wrecked the confidence of half of the team.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
A loss is always crap but losses like this truly ruin weeks not days. Couldn’t care less what we do against Betis currently, obviously want to win but unless we do by 10 clear goals it’ll be difficult to raise more than s smile & the Southampton game is similar, we can win that playing the best football for over a decade & it’ll still be constant references to yesterday.
Yep. This utterly shite feeling will stick for a long while.

Hoof the ball

No one in the history of the sport benefits from fortuitous deflections the way Liverpool do. No one.

Watch that second goal again after the Shaw pass and count how many times our player(s) consecutively either get the ball or are in a better position to do so. Now, watch as one bobble after another falls perfectly for the current or next nearest Liverpool player all the while. That's some supernatural bullshit.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yep. This utterly shite feeling will stick for a long while.
The players are fine though. They’ll win a few games run to their Instagrams & talk about how ‘they’re back’.

Losses happen. We rarely win at that place anyway. Lose 2-0 & most people can just carry on but we’ve witnessed the likes of Cole & Yorke; Rooney & Ronaldo play against utter bums & not score 7 goals. Yesterday wasn’t simply unacceptable, it was fecking tragic.

Parma Dewol

Had to turn the second half off yesterday. Just punished myself with the highlights, and Jesus wept, the defending on every single goal is comical. Let them walk the ball into our net time and time again. Astonishing embarrassment. None of those players deserve to start the next game. Livid at how little effort they showed in that second half. Disgusting.

next_number_seven

It's just a blip.
I thought we looked fatigued.
Sometimes you're just heavy legged with no energy.

If we finished 3rd and win another cup or two it's still a good season.

ETH will know his players and what needs to be done.

Betis will be tricky but we should beat them.

3 full days of rest with no travelling should help rejuvenate us again. Get back to basics, out work the other team.

If we win our next 4 games, that gives us lots to look forward to for remainder of season.

Hopefully Martial can arrive back in good form, then Eriksen for a few games.

GueRed

That was fecking disgraceful
A gutless limp wristed display. I was furious yesterday, still pisses me off thinking about it...
For me the our worst result in PL history.

This season going down 4-0 at City halftime that was humiliating. At least we finished strong and 'won' the second half..made the scoreline a bit respectable...

Yesterday of all places to lose 7-0! feck off. And it could've been more!

Zed 101

I was not there thank feck and switched off after the 3rd goal to watch an equally disappointing Bahrain Grand Prix, what a poopy Sunday of sports it was. Checked the score at full time and was glad I didn't watch, and even more glad that there were no red cards.

End of the day it is just 3 points doesn't matter if we lost 20 nil it is still only 3 points which ultimately are not going to make much difference (he hopes), realistically Arsenal are out of sight and 2nd place a bit of a pipe dream.

Maybe take the optimistic view that we have been a bit complacent recently and have underperformed in most 1st halves, we were poor against Newcastle, Leeds and Leicester, so maybe this is a wake up call, cannot think ETH is going to let the players limp away from this, I am hopeful a bit like the SAF era the next team better watch out following a poor performance/result

AFC NimbleThumb

It's just a blip.
I thought we looked fatigued.
Sometimes you're just heavy legged with no energy.

If we finished 3rd and win another cup or two it's still a good season.

ETH will know his players and what needs to be done.

Betis will be tricky but we should beat them.

3 full days of rest with no travelling should help rejuvenate us again. Get back to basics, out work the other team.

If we win our next 4 games, that gives us lots to look forward to for remainder of season.

Hopefully Martial can arrive back in good form, then Eriksen for a few games.
Embarrassing losses to rivals are no longer ‘just blips’ though. Anyone can lose but a number of those players seem to actively try their hardest to not try in the truly difficult games. The second we conceded the 2nd yesterday they fell apart.

When we were dominating with far better sides than that Liverpool one we weren’t consistently doing this to them. There’s a massive character issue inside that dressing room.

Maticmaker

In over 60 years of supporting United I don't think I've seen a United team 'bottle-it' like the lads did after the second and third goals went in... its a disgrace really.

OK the team has had a hard last few (albeit successful) weeks, two 'energy sapping' games against old rivals Leeds, and then two more against Barcelona, a Wembley final, a late flurry against West Ham, etc. in all these games we got away with some situations, yesterday afternoon we got away with nothing, all our weaknesses were cruelly exposed by our greatest rivals. What a sad, sad day for the club and its fans.

At lot of United players you wouldn't expect went missing in the cauldron that is Anfield, especially after we surely realised that Liverpool were looking to give someone a 'drubbing' for their own failings against Real Madrid.
I was quite optimistic even after we had missed the best two chances in the first half, Bruno's header and Marcus's run on goal, we had staunched Liverpool's early 'storming' and we were looking the better side, most likely etc. Then disaster struck, not just a lost ball but a really bad pass in our third of the pitch help them score at the worst possible time, just before half time. Even then I was still hopeful over the half time break... then came the second half of shame, its like a different team emerged... maybe its was something in their halftime drink!!!

Lets hope this is some sort of 'canker' we have to get out of our system, we definitely have to learn from this and ETH has to be ruthless from now on with those who clearly don't perform as requested.

Skills

Snitch
That was fecking disgraceful
A gutless limp wristed display. I was furious yesterday, still pisses me off thinking about it...
For me the our worst result in PL history.

This season going down 4-0 at City halftime that was humiliating. At least we finished strong and 'won' the second half..made the scoreline a bit respectable...

Yesterday of all places to lose 7-0! feck off. And it could've been more!
It's the worst result in the clubs post war history

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Anyone else sort of down because of yesterday? We were going so well too, beating Barca and winning the Carabao. Lets hope it doesnt derail our season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
United used to lose by a goal or two a then go and smoke teams by 3/4/5. Teams used to be afraid of our response to disappointing losses.

Nowadays, we're the ones getting smoked and afraid it might detail our season. It's bloody tiring.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Little shocks me these days but that did and I mean genuine shock. I thought the possibility of something like this had gone with Ole. I didn't think anything could be worse than the 5-0 at OT when they looked to be heading for double figures until Klopp inexplicably put the breaks on with half an hour to go. I thought we'd ridden the inevitable first half storm, thought we should have gone in ahead at ht and expected us to win 2 or 3-1. Ha! How wrong could I be.
This was all your nightmares coming to life at once. The dark days were coming to an end, the worst was over. Some blips still to come obviously but the humiliations were gone. Then this. Out of nowhere the worst humiliation of them all. Against them, there, them in decline, us rising again, all overseen by the scouser loving media and destined to be rammed down our throats ad infinitum by them. I'm still stunned.

Marwood

West Ham is an outlier, we just won a cup days before that.
I’m going through the results here and your point just doesn’t stack up. Not only are we scoring plenty of goals but I’d argue we’ve been wasteful as well. It’s not even long periods, opposition will get on top of us at some stage, that’s the nature of EPL football.
You’re trying to be balanced but you’re every bit as bad as the overly optimistic fans. Youre just on the other side of the scale.
I wouldn’t even call Liverpool one of the big boys this season but, again, we have beaten all of the top 7 at one stage or another this season. This is so stupidly from left field I don’t even think there’s an explanation for it
I'm not trying to be anything, just saying what I see. Going through the results doesn't make sense as I'm obviously not arguing the results aren't good enough.

AFC NimbleThumb

Anyone else sort of down because of yesterday? We were going so well too, beating Barca and winning the Carabao. Lets hope it doesnt derail our season.
Yep.

I’m not down because we lost as every team losses but it’s the fact that everything around the games will now reference the debacle regardless of what happens around it for the foreseeable.

In the grand scheme of things we could have lost yesterday to them raising their game & gone on about our business rather easily but yesterday leaves a massive asterisk next to results going forward against the teams we should beat.

Jacko21

Patiently waiting for the latest Talk of the Devils podcast to drop to hear the dissection from Andy Mitten and co...

sideshowbob

No one in the history of the sport benefits from fortuitous deflections the way Liverpool do. No one.

Watch that second goal again after the Shaw pass and count how many times our player(s) consecutively either get the ball or are in a better position to do so. Now, watch as one bobble after another falls perfectly for the current or next nearest Liverpool player all the while. That's some supernatural bullshit.
Literally my thoughts. Even that Salah volley, Mctominay gets something on the ball, goes straight back to a liverpool player, gets something on it again and it bounces up perfectly for Salah.
Then Shaw kicks it on someone and it falls at Salahs feet for his second.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I'm still devastated and struggling to come to terms with the fact that that second half really happened.

Can barely do any work today, so fecking pissed off.

spiriticon

Yeah I'm struggling as well. This forum is actually good outlet :lol:

I expected a tough game but never a 7-0 loss.

Nori-

A lot of people need to calm down today.

We can still realistically win 3 trophies and finish in a Champions League spot. If someone offered us that in August we would have bit their hand off.

Yes the result yesterday was awful, but it might give us the reality check we needed before the home straight.

MUFC OK

As good of a job as ETH has done, losing in the manner we have away to City and Liverpool is extremely concerning. The manner of the defeat genuinely has the potential to ruin the good work the manager and team have done to date, it was that bad.

The fact it has happened 3 times this season makes me wonder when the next absolute capitulation is coming.

AFC NimbleThumb

Patiently waiting for the latest Talk of the Devils podcast to drop to hear the dissection from Andy Mitten and co...
See it’s stuff like this that annoys me, I love podcasts & now I’ve either got to A) not listen to football ones for a few weeks or B) relive the nightmare every hour.

Talk of the Devils will be a cakewalk compared to other pods though.

Edwards6

See it’s stuff like this that annoys me, I love podcasts & now I’ve either got to A) not listen to football ones for a few weeks or B) relive the nightmare every hour.

Don't know if you listen to the big 6ix podcast? Saeed the United fan was getting so carried away last week talking about how easy its going to be at Anfield, tonight will be painful for him but he never learns

miked99

A lot of people need to calm down today.

We can still realistically win 3 trophies and finish in a Champions League spot. If someone offered us that in August we would have bit their hand off.

Yes the result yesterday was awful, but it might give us the reality check we needed before the home straight.
For me it's not just the defeat, but the manner of it. The way we just utterly collapsed can't be unseen, and it can't be made up for by winning a couple of games down the line.

Something is seriously, seriously lacking when you allow yourself to conceed six goals in one half of football. We saw the same thing happen at city earlier in the season. It was easy to say 'that was then, this is now' but then this happens. There was also the Brentford game where we were 4-0 down within the first 40 minutes. Then you've got the 0-5 against Liverpool last season, and so on.

It should never happen once, let alone multiple times. For all our progress, this is seriously worrying. I've seen loads of bad United teams over the decades, but I've never seen one that has the capacity to completely collapse like we've seen in recent times.

troylocker

An absolute mare of a match.
The worst thing about this performance was how the entire team collapsed. Must never happen again and there is no need to dwell on it.

Back on the horse on Thursday and show us that this was a nothing more than a blip.

HookedOnAPhelan

Another utterly disgusting complete capitulation against our rivals. Getting really sick of that shit.

Liverpool were ridiculously clinical, and had a massive amount of luck with the ball bouncing their way every single fecking time, but there's no excuse for that second half performance. Completely lost our heads.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
What did we actually learn yesterday? Once you subtract tiredness, luck, meeting the wrong team on the wrong day? What are the actual practical takeaways.

My big takeaways were:

Bruno isn't a leader when the chips are down.
Dalot will never be good enough.
We are very vulnerable to super high intensity, suggesting we have the beginnings of an age problem with Varane and Casemiro which is only going to get worse.
We don't fix problems in real time and think for ourselves enough, but rather wait for EtH to make substitutions or tell us what to do.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Robertson and TAA were just too tough to handle for Dalot and Bruno. Shaw was man marking Salah, while Gakpo and Nunez were floating here and there.

Our back line were overwhelmed and none of Casemiro and Fred were good enough yesterday to calm the situation, get ou of their pressing.

It here you see that a player like Eriksen who is secured technically would have been useful (dont talk about FDJ neither).

But we have been constantly taken in between the lines and it was the same against lower opposition.

Jacko21

Yeah, Talk of the Devils is quite cathartic in a way. Because as much as you can tell they're hurting, they're also good at rationalising things.

Strootman's Finger

One good thing about this result is that it should stop all the heroes in here who are quoting comments from last season where people suggested selling players like Rashford and Bruno. Yes, those players have been outstanding this season and it seems unthinkable that anyone would want to sell them, but this is a reminder that they played this way every week last season and that's why people were questioning their commitment.

georgipep

Aside from Antony's mistake, in the first part of the clip we have one man back (actually well over the half way line) against a team that were absolutely battering us. When we lose the ball nine of our players are in the opposition box. You can't blame Antony for that.

The approach was absurdly naive from the whole team and the manager for allowing it to happen, rather than shutting up shop and sparing some blushes. Instead we've injected our biggest rivals with an insane amount of confidence, heaped a ton of pressure on ourselves, smashed any momentum we had going and wrecked the confidence of half of the team.
The approach was working until the players stopped executing the instructions. At there is nothing a manager can do about that.