PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 May 2017

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's no guarantee our strongest team would win the remaining 4 league games - we didn't even beat Arsenal @OT with our voltron squad. We still have to visit WHL & another midweek battle @Southampton.

The probability of beating Celta & Ajax is considerably higher than pinning our hopes on beating 4 PL teams. This is mathematics.
Indeed. We needed four wins to qualify via PL, one to qualify via EL. It's a no brainer.

Roger777

Shit performance, but win on Thursday and this will be forgotten.
Well it shouldn't be forgotten. If people think by winning the Europa and beating a pile of piss poor teams will make us a force again then they are feckin deluded mate.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rooney.
Lingard.
Martial.
Smalling.
Jones.
Darmian.
Mkhi

Happy for them all the leave.
I would keep Lingard (squad player), Martial, Smalling and maybe Darmian as a squad player.

I dont think we can rely on Micky T in a big match. Rooney is just past it. Atrocious.

leontas

The only silver lining is Axel's performance. He was impressive against Alexis and he was probably the only defensive player that deserves any sort of credit.

Our midfield was non-existent to be honest and I just didn't feel like we controlled the game or threatened Arsenal at any point during the game.

And it's the same story as it has been against top opposition. We just park the bus and hope to nick a goal on the counter. But we can't keep playing like that. We actually need to put these teams to the sword. Or actually invest in players that can play counter attacking football.

togg

I have to say that I'm looking forward to a rest from football this summer....(after the EL win of course) or at least a rest from the Caf. I think the Moyes era and LVG era has made people so desperate for success, based on the trophy ridden years of Ferguson, that any reasoning goes out the window as to how we are actually improving under this current manager and he's only in his first season. A guy that is divisive for sure, but also a clever manager, someone who sees the bigger picture. I admit that we need to see even more improvement next season in terms of challenging for the title...but then again, that is what Liverpool fans said about Klopp this season and that hasn't turned out well.....and as for Pep...well same thing really as for Mourinho. goodness football has really changed.....it's match by match now...that is the judgement, which is kind of ridiculous when you consider no other industry does that....

minoo-utd

Never seen us that coward, it was another opportunity due two Liverpool draw but Jose said after Swansea we lost our chances for top 4 finish, do United throw the towel? Is Lingard is in our A team? I saw a poor selection and lost appetite, just hope Jose pay us back with a good show on Thursday and we better win this fecking trophy.
Really can't imagine now if we don't, which is it's also a big maybe, you can't just depend on cup games. Hope as many fans asked to put our eggs into one basket l, just hope it worth.

Roger777

So much pressure on the Europa league game now. This team have proved time and time again this season they can't handle the pressure so I expect a collapse on Thursday.

Anyone saying that was a second string team is kidding themselves. Nearly every player that started cost over £20m and are internationals. Just not good enough. Fed up for excuses for this squad.
Wouldn't be surprised but fearing Ajax more in the final should we get there. They are a good, well organised side and as we all know anything can happen in a final.

Mister_Stubbs

Well it shouldn't be forgotten. If people think by winning the Europa and beating a pile of piss poor teams will make us a force again then they are feckin deluded mate.
Sadly I think people do think that. What I don't fully believe is that even with champions league football and the likes of Griezmann and co coming in, Jose won't change that much, he'll still go in to games looking not to lose and for this I question just how good long term we can become.

Gjx

Great league debut by Axel, up against Ozil and Sanchez, didn't look phased or out of place. Has to play the remaining league games and would have him over the Chuckle Brothers on the bench Thursday.

Red1968

I cant see any silver lining in this game. Another opportunity to capitalize on a team above us that stumbled and YET AGAIN we choke. Its not just about Jose, this habit started to show up even SAF's last season. We have had so many big games in the past 4 years where we have just not shown up. No swagger, no pride, no skills. Yes its high pressure vs the Big boys but that's why you play the sport and get paid that obscene amount of money. To go into the Emirates and serve up that stinking turd of a game when so much is at stake is outrageous. It is just as poor as it was last year in the must win game they blew at West Ham. Its not good enough, They should be embarrassed and if not they are not fit to wear the jersey. They should have easily beaten the Gunners today with the chances they had.

1974_Fergie_Time

What has LVG done to our strikers they just can't score apart from Rashford i would get shot of the lot of them

As for Smalling if he is carrying an injury and taking one for the team so teamates can get a rest today then good on him but if he really is fit to play that was garbage marking of Welbeck nowhere near his man

It's all on Europa League and IF we get through and IF Hull beat Palace next week will the league fine Jose if he doesn't play a full strength squad in our final league game against Palace ?

SqueakyWeasel

Was your post about Giggs serious? Agree on Zlatan but not Mourinho. This is a job he's wanted for some time and I think it requires more time (transfers) for him to get the team he wants.
It was bread, not cake, and it was so good :p
Giggs post was a joke … had hoped that was obvious :cool:

Jose's been gifted with a few exceptional squads that have got him there in the past and I'm worried that he's actually starting to believe it's him that gets the silverware at the end of the day not the … Cinnamon bread :drool:

MAME DIOUF 32

Arsenal were pretty crap, we were a lot worse. Coming out of this season with two trophies would feel a bit hollow with some of the league performances.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
For me this was Jose's way of saying, 'look at the shit you left me with.' And to be fair they were all trash. Big clear out needed in the summer.

Peanut Butter

Sadly I think people do think that. What I don't fully believe is that even with champions league football and the likes of Griezmann and co coming in, Jose won't change that much, he'll still go in to games looking not to lose and for this I question just how good long term we can become.
This is melodramatic. Jose knows the limitations of his teams, and certainly knows how poor a lot of our squad are. He knows there is no point going away to Arsenal, playing expansive, open football when trying to rest Pogba and the better players at the same time.

He is pragmatic. We have played some exciting football at times this season. If he was Real Madrid manager, he wouldn't have gone away to Arsenal today with the same tactics. He isn't stupid.

Let's see what Mourinho can do when he has had another transfer window and been able to ship out Rooney and co.

This time next season he won't have any excuses. This season, he gets a free go at it.

MoskvaRed

I am not angry about the result - the Europa League is clearly the most obvious way to get back into the Champions League - but I am shocked by how little depth there is in tbe squad. About half that starting XI can have no complaints if they are moved on.

Coops73

I have to say that I'm looking forward to a rest from football this summer....(after the EL win of course) or at least a rest from the Caf. I think the Moyes era and LVG era has made people so desperate for success, based on the trophy ridden years of Ferguson, that any reasoning goes out the window as to how we are actually improving under this current manager and he's only in his first season. A guy that is divisive for sure, but also a clever manager, someone who sees the bigger picture. I admit that we need to see even more improvement next season in terms of challenging for the title...but then again, that is what Liverpool fans said about Klopp this season and that hasn't turned out well.....and as for Pep...well same thing really as for Mourinho. goodness football has really changed.....it's match by match now...that is the judgement, which is kind of ridiculous when you consider no other industry does that....
Couldn't agree more, it wasn't a great game today, made worse by that cnut Welbeck scoring and the delusions of grandeur on here makes me fecking laugh but I think Mourinho has got us on the right track and maybe putting all our eggs into the europa basket isn't the best idea but in my opinion we have improved as a team and I'd rather take the europa than 4th, not that that's guaranteed but he's made a decision as to where our better chances lie and I'm supporting him in that.

Ok it wasn't exactly a shit team he put out there but it wasn't his strongest 11 and I'll save judgment till the end.

AlwaysRed66

At least the worst unbeaten run in history has ended. Despite being 26 games unbeaten, at the end of it we are 5th, soon to be 6th where we started.

Awful negative performance, which for some reason Mourinho is happy with. As soon as they scored that was it, & we carried on with same tactics, never looking like scoring. Pointless bringing on Rashford as he was poor, though in fairness isolated up front. Sixty million pounds worth of quality wingers, playing as full backs is criminal.

People will put up with tactics like this if we win things, but failure to gain CL will seen to be failure. No league challenge next season & tedious tactics will lead to the end of the manager, like his two predecessors.

KN5

Didn't watch it and I watch every single game including pre season every year, it's how little this game mattered to me and I'm truly focused on Europe. I hope the players don't get too down about this result, could affect our performance. Glad Tuanzebe got a game though.

1974_Fergie_Time

Maybe Jose couldn't be to critical of the team as they might have played today so some of their other teamates could get a rest for Thursday night

ken11

We lost 4th a long time ago with all those draws against bottom table teams. Just want the lads to win the Europa.

minoo-utd

Many players who played today need to feck off in the summer, Jose must have a real big clear out.
How Lingard is in our A team is beyond me.
Mikhitaryan needs to improve ALOT, he is worst buy by Jose so far.
DDG if he wants to leave just go.
Martial?
Rooney is a club legend yes but his feets can't help it anymore.
Jone, Smalling, Darmian out out.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If Rooney played in Mata instead of trying to beat Cech we would have won the game.

AXVnee7

I know it's a just a little thing, but I'm glad Mourinho went and shook Wenger's hand despite the loss. If it had been the other way around Wenger probably wouldn't have done it. I remember when he just stormed off after LVG's kids beat him. So fair play to Jose there. But don't stop sniping at him ;)

RaptorSlo

We lost 4th a long time ago with all those draws against bottom table teams. Just want the lads to win the Europa.
With a win, we'd be 2 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand. How's that unreachable?

prtk0811

One goal was an unlucky goal, Second goal was our mistake again like the game vs arsenal at oldtrafford, We were poor on the second ball and the cross came , while smalling completely turned his back on welbeck and dint get close to him to win the header.

Our system lacked balance in terms of transition, could have played a 343 which would look better overall in terms of transition.

A collective loss.

Son Of Sam

I am not angry about the result - the Europa League is clearly the most obvious way to get back into the Champions League - but I am shocked by how little depth there is in tbe squad. About half that starting XI can have no complaints if they are moved on.
You have to blame LVG & Moyes for this. Did we really need to ship out Nani, Chicharito, Rafael, Kagawa, etc? It wasn't as if we were skint or something, it was just stupidity of the managers.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What has LVG done to our strikers they just can't score apart from Rashford i would get shot of the lot of them

As for Smalling if he is carrying an injury and taking one for the team so teamates can get a rest today then good on him but if he really is fit to play that was garbage marking of Welbeck nowhere near his man

It's all on Europa League and IF we get through and IF Hull beat Palace next week will the league fine Jose if he doesn't play a full strength squad in our final league game against Palace ?
Why is it LVG's fault?!:confused: He hasn't been here for a year now. Whatever is happening now is all on our current manager and his coaching team.

Sereques

Even though we rested players, the team on the pitch should play better than that. Embarrassing.

minoo-utd

The question is why Jose was pretty much convinced that top four is gone?
Had we won today we would be only 2 pts of Liverpool with a game in hand!

Hope it woth the risk.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Rubbish all round, but I'm more disappointed in the attacking players. Mata Mkhitaryan Rooney and Martial. One of them has to do SOMETHING.

Defence was a clusterfeck on paper, with only Darmian in with any real form.

But we were never getting top 4 anyway. Get the EL won now please.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Poor. Really poor. I really don't look forward to wAtching them at the moment. Martial was completely ineffective today. As was Rooney and Mikhi.

SirScholes

Team hampered with injuries, tiredness and an important match coming up soon.
Next season isn't about being a force in Europe it's about being a force in the league and respectable in Europe.

Don't be just a bore

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Rubbish all round, but I'm more disappointed in the attacking players. Mata Mkhitaryan Rooney and Martial. One of them has to do SOMETHING.

Defence was a clusterfeck on paper, with only Darmian in with any real form.

But we were never getting top 4 anyway. Get the EL won now please.
Mata and Miki were tasked with defensive work... only Martial up top mostly. Exactly how are we supposed to attack when the manager sets us out like that? Just can't blame the attackers today

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 417 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Arsenal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd