PL W FA Premier League

Arsenal 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2017

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Missed the game but just watching the game back now.

Just seen the first half. I saw some of the comments from Arsenal fans about how after the first 15 mins they peppered us.

After watching that first half, I though we were fairly comfortable. Arsenal probably should have got one back but I thought we looked very dangerous too.

Maybe it's because I'm watching it back without emotion and because I rate De Gea so highly, but Laca one on the crossbar aside, I'd be disappointed if any of those efforts went past him.
In fairness watching the game back and knowing that we won, is not the same as watching it live.

saivet

In fairness watching the game back and knowing that we won, is not the same as watching it live.
It's definitely not, but I think it provides a more objective view. First half I thought we looked deserving of our lead

lex talionis

36 hours later I'm still jacked over one of the greatest United performances in the post-SAF era. We jumped all over Arsenal right after the first whistle, we converted on our chances (except one, by Lingard) and De Gea was insane. But let's give a little more respect our defenders, who had to cope with two world class players in Sanchez and Ozil, and Lacazette and Ramsey are pretty decent as well. A massive win for all the obvious reasons and it remains to be seen how Arsenal cope with what really is a devastating loss for them.

The question Monday morning is whether to appeal the Pogba red card. I think we should, provided that doing so guarantees his availability for City regardless of the final decision. On its face it was a bad call as Pogba clearly had no malicious intent. He's not known as a dirty player and anyone can see on the replay that Bellerin, the victim no question, came across Pogba's path in an unorthodox, completely unexpected (and rather idiotic) way. Nearly all commentaries on the foul describe it as "reckless", which tells you all you need to know about whether it was a red card offense.

Reactions: SteveJ

NotQuiteManc

Looking back at the second goal:

- It was a combination of Lingard's persistent pressing and interception, Lukaku's urgency and awareness to basically give a perfect weighted pass to Martial, and Martial's sprint, run to open up the space for Lingard, and of course the skill, turn and deft touch to lay the ball to Lingard to finish it. Great goal, worthy of any SAF's counter attack goals of the past. :drool:

- The celebration, just noticed that Martial was of course happy, smiling and started to dance a bit himself. :eek:

- Martial's looked pissed when substituted, but did Mourinho activated his inner fire with his man management? Martial is known for being ice cool, with little to no emotion sometimes, but I think with this kind of intensity to his overall game, he might grow to the next level of his development. :devil:

Verbalkint

Is Pogba going to be handed an extended ban because he applauded the ref after seeing red? If so, we're even more screwed. Forget the red card appeal and all that.

Verbalkint

Why did Arsenal put Giroud on and then barely attempt a cross into the box?

It was all dinks from the edge of our area over the top which we dealt with comfortably.

Very odd.
Good point. They didn't really make use of his aerial ability. I was mentally prepared for a late Giroud header and the inevitable time wasting celebration :)

marlowe78

I keep reading on the forums about luck being involved in this but I'm not sure how. We got a brilliant performance from De Gea - he actually caught up on about 1 1/2 years of not having to do much - but that was not 'luck,' nor was it luck that Arsenal have a poorly-drilled defence. Koscielny and Mustafi made a couple of foolish plays in the back and our attack punished them, simple as that. Our counterattack, when we did go forward, was absolutely brutal in this game.

Yes, Arsenal plastered us going forward but it couldn't really be any other way. They were more than up for it, a home game against a major rival, their attacking players were mostly firing, so it should come as no surprise that they would put up those kinds of stats. I've said for a while now that Arsenal would probably have won a title over the last few seasons if Wenger ever bothered to get his defence sorted out. I'm going to get flak from people but I think their attack is the 2nd best in PL behind City's (we're 3rd or thereabouts) or maybe even the best on their day.

You might remember our last win at the Emirates when Arsenal were pounding our defence all game...only to lose on the counterattack through sloppy defending. That was the Gibbs own goal when he plowed into Szczesny and Rooney paired up with Di Maria to score a second. On paper, we shouldn't have won that, either.

Mourinho should have dedicated the game to Paul Merson. Would've like to have seen his face after that.

KristianMackle

Make no mistake, De Gea and a questionable penalty non-call gave us this win. Having said that, we looked threatening with almost every attack! We have rarely seen that this season even against the so called lesser sides. That was wonderfully refreshing and incredibly exciting to watch.

Shark

@NotShark
Make no mistake, De Gea and a questionable penalty non-call gave us this win. Having said that, we looked threatening with almost every attack! We have rarely seen that this season even against the so called lesser sides. That was wonderfully refreshing and incredibly exciting to watch.
Not our lethal counter attacks, no?

Thanks for those highlights, Lucky McLuckyson. Three beautifully taken goals, and, as for De Gea, what can you say? That save from what would have been a Lukaku o.g. was just off the scale. I don't know how he made it. Perfect counter attacking display.

misterredmist

Watched it in my local ( I live darn Sarf now ) with a mix of United and Bummers fans, riveting match, fab goals from us and de Gea stopped us from throwing it away as we did ride our luck at times.......although our quick switch to attack always threatened cutting Arsenal open at any time.....

KristianMackle

Not our lethal counter attacks, no?
Objectively speaking, not entirely. De Gea made 14 saves; his double save after shots by Lacazette and Sanchez were ridiculous! Also Welbeck was clearly fouled in the box. But again, that was the best I have seen us play attacking wise.

Smores

Objectively speaking, not entirely. De Gea made 14 saves; his double save after shots by Lacazette and Sanchez were ridiculous! Also Welbeck was clearly fouled in the box. But again, that was the best I have seen us play attacking wise.
But we signed and pay him to make those saves. It's not a discounting factor, the penalty sure but even then they have should have had a red

KristianMackle

But we signed and pay him to make those saves. It's not a discounting factor, the penalty sure but even then they have should have had a red
That was a record number of saves in a premier league match. Paid or not, in my honest opinion, that deserves some sort of special mention.

SirScholes

This is annoying, he made a couple top class saves, not 14, we won because our strikers our attackers are better and we have a better keeper....but that's ok, de gea is a man itd player so if having him makes us a better team then we are a better team! End of, my Liverpool mate was like "oh just because you have de gea"...well yer we do, he's one of the reasons we are a top team, but not the only reason

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
have to say it was one of the strangest games I've seen in 50+ years. at two up, I was convinced we were going to lose. the defending, while heroic, was panic-filled. however, as soon as we went down to 10 men we started to defend much more calmly. brilliant performances throughout so probably not fair to pick one MoM although I wasn't hugely impressed by Pogba but reckon it would have been different if I'd been at the game and seen his work off the ball

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anyone bothered to count how many big chances Arsenal had?

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Agreed. I'd take the punt at an appeal. Don't expect it to be anything but dismissed, but worth a punt. I think it is hard for the FA to overturn a ref's decicion on the field. This would never ever in any world be a retrospective ban. In which case it should of course not be a ban in the first case.

Off for the night. Have a good one!
The more I see it, the more angry I get. The arsenal lads attempted challenge was so awkward and unorthodox, if Paul hadn't caught him, it would have been a free kick to us.
They asked an ex-ref on sky this morning, where Paul should have put his foot, as his momentum took him forward, and he couldn't give an answer. A perfect example of an official not understanding the game; I'm shocked we haven't challenged it.

Acole9

Outstanding
Only just managed to watch it. It was my work Christmas party Saturday night and BBC have been extremely slow putting this on iPlayer. It was a great game, easily one of the best this season, both teams played their part. We've had some great games against Arsenal over the years and that's right up there with them.

el3mel

Only 2 chances IMO, one during the first half and the double save in the second. There's Lukaku being trying to score an own goal as well but that's it all really.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Only 2 chances IMO, one during the first half and the double save in the second. There's Lukaku being trying to score an own goal as well but that's it all really.
Yeah, as long as my memory hasn't failed me that's what I remember too. Arsenal didn't have as many big chances as it's being painted as.

el3mel

Yeah, as long as my memory hasn't failed me that's what I remember too. Arsenal didn't have as many big chances as it's being painted as.
Combination of Arsenal fans being gutted and anti- Mourinho pundits. It's more laughable than being annoying.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure if this is posted but Shearer summed it up nicely

Theonas

Scout
A great performance is dependent on how much in control your team has been. How much or little you need extraordinary individual quality from one or two individuals. A great performance basically makes you feel that the game could have been played 10 times and you'd still end up winning 8 or 9 out of them. Those are very rare though and there is an element of luck involved in all the big games. Usually the team that gets the first goal ends up winning in most of those encounters. In our game vs Arsenal, clearly we were lucky in the sense that we needed one of the best performances from goalkeeper in recent memory to not concede and no team is ever happy playing that much of a game right on the edge of its own area. It is why no manager ever sets his team up like that against lower opposition, it's just too risky being that close to your area especially when your goalkeeper is being reached regularly.

However, there was nothing lucky about our goals, the movement and speed of our counters was breathtaking at times. Pogba's power and skill mixed in with Martial and Lingard's pace and movement were as good as anyone in the league and the fact that they scored 3 goals and could have had more with 25% possession is nothing short of brilliant, it almost makes you think of that devastating trio of Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo. In short, we really need to stop the tendency of being pinned back to our box defending deep and needing heroics from our goalkeeper; nothing changed in that area from last year to this year. The positive is our attacking transitions and individual quality up front is the best it has been since 2013, maybe even longer.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
From memory...

- Chaotic ricochet in the 6 yard box
- Shot just wide after Lacazette’s dribble was crowded out
- Deflected shot off the bar
- Goal
- Worldie double save from DDG*

- 28 other unthreatening efforts.

If you didn’t see the game, and only watched the highlights, you’d be forgiven for thinking it was a lot more tit for that than it seemed at the time. Largely because the actual “highlights” (i.e. the big moments that define games) were pretty evenly spread. About 5 for them and 4 for us. Which factoring in the home advantage is about par.

*If this counts as two big chances, then Lingard’s post and Martials follow up off the line does too. And all without mentioning Lukaku being brought down when potentially clean through, either.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
From memory...

- Goal

If you didn’t see the game, and only watched the highlights, you’d be forgiven for thinking it was a lot more tit for that than it seemed at the time. Largely because the actual “highlights” (i.e. the big moments that define games) were pretty evenly spread. About 5 for them and 4 for us. Which factoring in the home advantage is about par.

*If this counts as two big chances, then Lingard’s post and Martials follow up off the line does too. And all without mentioning Lukaku being brought down when potentially clean through, either.
Isn't both same? Lacazette dribble and then hit the bar, then Xhaka missed the goal by inches.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Isn't both same? Lacazette dribble and then hit the bar, then Xhaka missed the goal by inches.
You’re right. For some reason I considered them more seperate than the Laca/Sanchez - Lingard/Martial moments, but they’re probably not. Whatever the metric they’re either level with us or one ahead in big chances created. Much of a muchness really.

Also there was DDG’s very good save from Lukaku tbf, but I’m not convinced that deserves to be called as an Arsenal created chance. Its at best 50/50.

Last edited:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
From memory...

- Goal

Thanks.

Sounds right and I sometimes wonder if people don't watch the whole game. I had to walk away a few times during the match but don't remrmber Arsenal having that many clear cut chances. They did have a lot of the ball and lots of efforts but we also had a 2-0 lead after 12 minutes.

Treble

From memory...

- Goal

Wasn't there also a penalty shout for a foul against Welbeck? And a Ramsey volley from 3 yards over the bar in the final minutes?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
From memory...

- Goal

Sort of similar to some of our draws at OT last season where we'd rack up 30+ shots but miss every good chance, of which there were maybe 5 or 6. Ultimately, we weren't good enough and we deservedly finished 6th last season. Same can be said of Arsenal, just not good enough.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
You were 2-0 down within the first 10 mins. There’s nothing that you “should’ve won”. We pressed you very well and caught you out two times. At 2 up it’s natural that we were going to sit deep and look to break on the counter. We had numerous opportunities to make it 3-0, just as you did 2-1.

If we parked the bus and “hoped” then what does that say about you considering we scored 3 goals?

It’s also very funny how many Arsenal fans are finding solace in that City are ahead of United. Couldn’t find a cockier bunch beforehand!
How is it natural that a team that is 2-0 up looks to close up shop and look for odd opportunities, instead of trying to dominate and kill the game off. You wouldn't see that from the other top teams.

Also, put it this way, if Romero was in goal, you'd have conceded 2 goals more at minimum. On top of the stonewall penalty that should have been given.

No one is finding solace in city being ahead of united. Don't put words in my mouth. I don't even like city, but I can tell when a team is better than the other. Both you's and city beat us 3-1, but the manner in the win is world's apart.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
How is it natural that a team that is 2-0 up looks to close up shop and look for odd opportunities, instead of trying to dominate and kill the game off. You wouldn't see that from the other top teams.

Also, put it this way, if Romero was in goal, you'd have conceded 2 goals more at minimum. On top of the stonewall penalty that should have been given.

No one is finding solace in city being ahead of united. Don't put words in my mouth. I don't even like city, but I can tell when a team is better than the other. Both you's and city beat us 3-1, but the manner in the win is world's apart.
Yeah, city scored all legitimate goals *cough cough*

We can go on with what ifs... There's a reason we have DDG in goal. Its his job to save. What if Koscielny was sent off? Obviously you won't mention that. What if Cech didn't save Lingard's shot. And this was Emirates not Old trafford. Talk about performance wrt city when you come there.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 84% of 930 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw