PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 January 2020

Acquire Me

We need players. Nothing more to say about that. The board and Woodward need to back this now. Just to light squad in terms of quality.

Zoo

We were shite and didn’t adapt to the new momentum Arteta has brought to them. I can accept that. But what I can’t accept is Ole not looking to strengthen this transfer window.

manc4red

Well that was absolute shite.

Im lost for words here. Arsenal couldve won this 4/5 - 0 if they were more clinical.

Machine Elements

Another game where the "coaching" is non-existant. We're not playing with any kind of playing patterns and only looking for individual brilliance from certain players like Martial, Rashford etc. to do something. This is not coaching; anyone can select an 11 and say "go out and express yourselves boys". Our players don't seem to have instructions what to do in certain situations and play through their instincts rather than instructions. I repeat again; this is not coaching.

Also, the only in-game "tactic" this guy knows as a manager is bringing Greenwood & Pereira for James & Lingard in the hope of changing the game. Not tactically, not by the change of mentality but with the change of personnel. This further proves that we're looking for individuals to do the job rather than the plan. I predicted the 11 and all the subs correctly in this game because everything (including subs) is too predictable with us now. As a result of the clueless management, the individuls (who lost the ball, who lost his man, who gave the ball away etc. or the usual scapegoats like Shaw, Pereira, Fred, Matic who played very well) will get the blame from Ole supporters but it's apparent that the problem is the lack of coaching in this side.

All the chances we've got to close the gap since the second half of last year in top 4 race and we gave it all away. We're not making top 4 with Ole and going nowhere under him. That much is clear.

Reactions: harms

MonkeysMagic

Cant even call Ole a fraud, as save for some blinkered fans, the rest know he is a very poor coach/manager. The game was as predictable as the shambolic defending and non-existent attacking threat.

But hey...let just give him time, success is just round the corner.

OverratedOpinion

We are not a great side so we will not win every week but I think the way our players let their heads drop when things get tricky is very disappointing. Start the year as you mean to go on.

mu4c_20le

Unpopular opinion: David Luiz was a far better deal at only 10% of the price

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The board has decided this is what we are. No point in getting angry at performances like this anymore.

Brophs

The One and Only
Same issue for me. Lack of desire and work rate in the first half. Players were just strolling at times.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
If we dont strenghten in January than I really dont know what to say about this club.

Obviously we lack talent in attack and midfield. Im not mad about losing to Arsenal at the emirates, despite their form its never an easy game, and they were due a performence under Arteta and its fine. We need atleast 2 players this window if we want to be in the shout for top four.

KristianMackle

Ole will never learn. He trusts certain players to a fault and one of them is Lingard. Another is Shaw.

OneUnited24

Arteta's been there for 5 minutes and you can see what he's all about. Meanwhile, we're serving up the same tumescent bollocks.
I don’t see the point you’re making. Hell even ole did well in his opening run of games

it was a shit game but when 2/4 of your back four have a game like today it’s no wonder

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Terrible performance when they should have been fired up after the results earlier in the day.

OGS shit out of playing the kids in form and returned back to his favourites in Lingard and Shaw who shouldn't have been anywhere near the pitch.

Only bright spark was Fred who left it all on the pitch, but when that is the high point it tells you everything about how bad we were.

Cypherage

For the first time ever, I turned the match off, just could not bring my self to watch it anymore, the lack of spine in this team has been going on since SAF retired, just dreadful, spineless,guttless,clueless are but a few words to describe that performance.

swedishgloryhunter

I feel we lost due to poor attitude in combination with a lack of movement in attack. Arsenal were fired up and got confidence after their first goal. We had nothing to counter it with. Matic tried in second half and we'll we could have possibly got away with a draw if we had some luck but it wasn't our game.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, in the matchday thread, all week I have been bullish.
Singing our praises and debasing AFC, telling everybody how crap AFC are.
The first time this season I have been very positive, confident of an easy win.
I even said that we'd work on our goal difference. What a fool I was.

Today's result has taught me never ever get sucked into positivity again, when it comes to this team.
I apologise to everybody for being so bullish and will be ultra negative in the run up to our next match.

The other thing was that our manager got schooled by Arsenal's rookie manager. It was his first win as manager of Arsenal, too.

CaptainBirdseye

Fred the only saving grace. Pretty abysmal showing, first goal is fairly shambolic but also a bit of bad luck (with the deflection), but why are we so bad at defending corners?

Red_Aaron

Complete lack of energy and ideas from start to finish. Players looked shot and its another indication of our small and generally young squad holding us back.
Need reinforcements this window

IrishRedDevil

Wolves and Spurs below us beaten, Chelsea draw.

Over to United to make the most of the situation...

Spanked by Arsenal.

Zen86

Shit performance, we made them look good. Shaw and Lingard need to be dropped. We lack leaders on the pitch, as soon as things get tough their heads drop. Maguire certainly isn’t performing that role.

MDFC Manager

We are not a great side so we will not win every week but I think the way our players let their heads drop when things get tricky is very disappointing. Start the year as you mean to go on.
Should we even blame the players for the heads dropping? There was feck all intensity from the management on the touchline. It rubbed off on the players.

Eddy_JukeZ

Disgraceful performance. One of the worst all season for me.

Half of them looked drunk. No intensity or urgency.

Ole couldn't even motivate them to bust a gut. 2nd half was barely better.

Fred the only one who comes away with some respect. Rest were gash.

RedNed77

How many more chances is Lingard going to get. Even with Shaw and Maguire playing awful, he still stood out as utterly atrocious. He just keeps getting picked, it’s completely unfathomable :houllier:

Eggberto

Good news, I just caught Fred’s free kick in Sandbach.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fred was ace. AWB had some good spells. Martial too. Every one else was bad. Slow, careless, lethargic performance. Just looked like they didn't want it. Arsenal wanted every ball and fought for everything. We didn't.

Losing away at the Emirates isn't the end of the world, but at least go down swinging. Losing like that is pitiful.

Pjisared

Slow, ponderous, clueless.
Time to go Ole and take your mate Jlings and your back room three with you.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The players and manager tried their hardest. At the end of the day, that’s all we could ask for. We just need to take this step by step and give it time to unleash the true potential of our struggling players. I believe!

Superunknown

We were non-existent in the first half and only really saw more of the ball because Arsenal sat back and aimed to hit us on the counter. Our passing, movement and creativity need so much improvement, it's unreal. Should really have troubled Arsenal a lot more and barely got our attacking players into the game. But, we lose or draw so many games now that this doesn't feel like a new feeling.

siw2007

Only watched the first half but it was very poor. Arsenal threw the kitchen sink at us, they played with a lot of fight and intensity, we just couldn’t cope.

Midfield is obviously huge issue. Fred has done well recently but we are bare bones here and fear what we will get in the next few games.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Really bad. The occasional wins are just papering over the cracks. Yep, United have been unlucky with injuries but that side shouldn’t be outplayed by an awful Arsenal side.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 357 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd