PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 November 2020

VivaRonaldo85

Made an average Arsenal team look like contenders for the title. Awful day on the bench from Ole, tactically naive and out coached by Arteta.

How he kept Pogba on the pitch for 90 minutes is dangerous given how little he offered at any time in the game. That kind of decision is damn right worrying.

1 point from 12 at home and 7 points from 6 games in the PL is woeful. The two performances CL are currently glossing over a dreadful start to a season.

Nitewolf

You never. Never. NEVER. Play a dimond against a 3-4-3 formation. You just put your FB in a 1v2 all day long. Then your DM has to move to cover, midfield weakened, or your CF has to come down to help, attacking transition gone. We gave them the game the moment the formation was announced.

Yes Pogba was poor, at half time we should've taken him out and bring on Tuanzebe and shifted to 3-5-2, or bring on Cavani and shifted to 4-3-3.

Poor management means poor performance. I like Ole, but this is bad, this is coaching 101.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
1/10 performance today. Arsenal was maybe a 3/10 performance, what a fecking trash team they are, holy moly. And they still beat us, makes we want to vomit.

Ole: Don't talk about us being very fit before the game if you can't live up to your words. Terrible team selection and terrible in game management.

AWB: Quiet. Did nothing noteworthy.

Lindelöf: Played well.

Maguire: Don't even bother bringing him up on corners anymore. If he attempts another long shot I'm going to fecking lose it and say something I'm gonna regret.

Shaw: Did well.

Mctominay: Terrible. Better second half, but he talks like he is a motivated general or something but plays it safe and looks like he's scared to hold the ball. Never plays a one touch pass, always take two extra touches before deciding what to do, estethically he looks like an amateur when he plays.

Fred: One of our better players but not up to standard if we want to win games, playing okay isn't going to cut it. If I recall correctly he was on a yellow so it was reasonable to take him off.

Pogba: Thanks to you, we lost this game. Lost the ball, gave away the most stupid penalty I've ever seen, just overall shite.

Bruno: Did nothing noteworthy. Tried to press but was exhausted.

Rashford: Cried like a baby like 4 times and added nothing. We needed him today and he didn't step up.

Greenwood: Misplaced every pass he made in the first half and added nothing in attack. Second half he was brighter. Can't really judge him yet since he is so young.

Arsenal are a terrible, terrible team, who won't win anything major. They had a few injuries aswelll. And imagine, we lost to them. What a fecking laughing stock we are. Currently I'm furious and feel terrible, can't believe I looked forward to this dross all week. Ruined my day, you can't count on these players, they'll always end up disappointing you.
Except for the last one or two he gave away...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Cup team. Good when the underdog. Cannot impose our play on another team if our life depended on it.
I think you got it in one.
When we are the underdog we seem to somehow win. Perhaps it's to do with the way the opponent sets up.
If we allow the opponent to attack us, we can counter attack, score and win.
But when a team plays a cagey game and we have to attack them without the counter, it's difficult for us.
Conversely when we are favourites to win we tend to lose.

The 2 bolded statements above are fairly consistent under Ole.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pogba was an accident waiting to happen as the game went on. You could see he was getting more frustrated at how shit he was (his usual self) and his brainless tackle wasn’t even a surprise. He is a child. A waste of space and a shit stain on the club.
I don't think that's an unfair assessment. His ego is destroying this side

Matt6677

We're such a joke

Get dominated even by times like Arsenal now

Feck off

Edy2

Pathetic performance. Summed up by Maguire and lindelof passing sideways to each other for about a minute at the beginning of stoppage time. It's a team without a clue how to attack coherently as a unit. If ole hasn't instilled that attacking identity by now is he ever likely to?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The amount of respect Pogba gets brings me to total misery. Before the penalty he was more than useless but I though Ole would have some balls and bring him off for the dutchman. Arsenals twat goal celebration just added some fuel to the fire. He has contributed very little in his time here, he has been flerting with other big clubs and has totally disrespected United in the process. The penalty was just icing on the turd cake he has served us United fans yet again. We played badly as a whole but it could have easly been 1 0 to us today. Some fans will still defend Pogba and I can't really understand why anymore.
Not the first time either...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Today was a good reminder why midfield fours, diamond or flat, went out of vogue. Arsenal utterly dominated midfield.

Not a good game for the manager at all. Never got us on top in the game with changes and some of those he did make looked increasingly desperate: Bruno off with Pogba, Matic and McT on; Cavani wide left with Rashford more central; Shaw on set pieces...

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Pogba is the most pointless player ever.

I blame Ole for starting him, and that we made 3 substitutions and he wasn't one of them.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
7 points from 6 games is embarrassing. Our league form needs to improve big time.

12oskell

Surprised not mentioned more amongst the obvious poor performers: but Rashford was terrible. Never held the ball up, never got involved, rarely made any runs for the ball. Spent most of his time on the floor being bullied by Holding. Thought Greenwood was offering more on the pitch and was unfair to sub him and not Rashford. Add that to the list of wrong decisions by Ole today IMO.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
3 if you count West Ham
We're now at a stage we can't trust him enough to put him in centre mid, so we're messing about both with him, and the formation in general.

When that happens, i think a parting of the way for everyone's sake is the only thing for it. This will be the last summer we can get any sort of fee in.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The best teams in the world can play badly and still win. Plenty of times under Sir Alex we were dreadful but got the result we needed. This current Man Utd needs to be absolutely firing to get anything from a game. Its a sign of our level. We're pretty much where Liverpool were 10-20 years ago. Capable of great things when everything's going for us, horrifying when its not.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Wank. Is the diamond the answer? What about 433? Back to the double pivot? None of that matters when you can't do the basics. Arsenal outworked us and stuck well to their plan, while we were cowardly, passive and naive all at once.

Pogba is not producing enough, the penalty incident was a joke and to be honest I'm sick of the sight of him but we can't hang the whole thing on him today when nobody else stood up in an attacking/creative sense either. The ball goes side to side and Shaw is our creative hub in the last ten minutes when we need something. Bruno comes off, Mason comes off, but McTominay stays on to shore us up on the counter when we're producing nothing whatsoever?!

There's so much wrong with that performance it's hard to know where to start. We got what we deserved which was absolutely nothing. Matic is my MotM as he at least tried to make things happen when he came on.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You're a better man than me for even bothering to pour over the misery of a defeat.
Game went straight off on the final whistle.
I enjoy the analysis. But Keene is full of clichés. WE obviously got our team sheet wrong today and you could tell in the first five minutes. The subs didn't fix it. So it's Ole that lost the game for me.

AndyMUFC

Garbage.

The entire performance was poor, the diamond didn’t work whatsoever and Pogba was a liability once again.

jesperjaap

I personally dont buy into this inconsistency argument against league and champions league. Lets be honest, Champions league wise we have played two of the best sides in it but PSG were absolutely atrocious and Liepzig were marginally the better side, at Old Trafford until we got the second and they capitulated, its wasnt a masterful performance, it was a magic 15minutes.

Injuries, illness, covid etc have stopped us playing our best eleven, but to me Ole doesnt even know what his best eleven is and I dont mean that in a good way and personally slightly baffled by some of his selections.....and dont give me "rotation" rubbish, its not two months into the season yet.

I tink the biggest problem is finding the balance and we just arent getting it right. Lindelof who I constantly slate has actually been decent, not exceptionalo but decent the last few games. Is that a coincidence it has happened with Fred and McTominay in front protecting him? That is all well and good but again today highlighted.....neither of them can pass, the ball constantly goes sideways or backwards from them or they lose it....and backwards to Lindelof and Maguire, who again cant do anything but pass the ball backwards or sideways.

I feel we are the weakest of the bigger sides in the premiership with the ball against the press, we just simply cant cope with it, its embarrassing. ANd even worse, I just dont trust Pogba comign back deep against the press, when he is so cumbersome at times, he so often gives the ball away in bad positions, even more than usual so far this season. What ever the argument on Pogba long term, he simply doesnt deserve to start at the moment.

ALso I dont understand why DeBeek is coming on for Fernandes in these situations....ffs bring him on for Pogba, Fred or McTominay where he can cycle the ball better against the press than they all do....and finally (I could go on and on as so many things I dont like) Tuanzabe was fantastifc against PSG, why isnt he playing at all since?

pascell

Two home league games we fail to score, we basically parked the bus and played for the draw in both. We're a shambles playing out from the back and its killing our game.

RyRoc

Other than the penalty Utd were in total control of that game.
United have better players than Arsenal. United were at home. Arsenal had the better chances and looked more assured on the ball and with their gameplan. At no point did United look comfortable trying to take the game to Arsenal.

SuperiorXI

How is it possible to play like we did vs PSG and Liepzig and so trash vs Chelsea and Arsenal especially Arsenal they are terrible themselves!
When the onus is on United to be on the front foot we capitulate and go into our shell. Happens time and time again. I'm tired of these cowardly players.

SER19

Paul Pogba is an arsenal player for the years 2005-2017.

tjb

Every player utter turd. McT, Fred and Pogba. Hang your heads in shame tonight you fecking cretins. Bossed and outfought and outplayed by a shit Arsenal. Our passing was one of the worse I’ve seen.

Special mention to ‘Paul’ you stupid, stupid bastard. Not only was he awful and played like a 5 year old, that tackle in the box summed the absolute wanker up. Never a United player and the more he plays the more that nail is easing into Ole’s coffin. If fans were in the stadium the amount of abuse Pogba would be getting would be insane. He’s of no use. Offers nothing.

Shocking subs. No energy, no desire, sloppy and a disgrace to the shirt.
It's not about giving up a penalty either. He gave up on the play and used the tiredness to give up the penalty. The whole team works hard to protect our defence and then Pogba gives up.

ArjenIsM3

Poor match from both sides tbh. Draw would have been right but the penalty was the correct decision and so we lost. Pogba was poor throughout the game. Probably the worst player on the pitch.

James Peril

Leipzig gave us a lot of room in behind. Remember our second goal? They pressed up so far that Rashford was still in our half and was behind them. It just again confirms that we are good in space.

Teams in the Premier League are starting to wise up to us: don't give us space or foul our players in the box and we struggle and struggle badly. We created nothing today or against Chelsea because they did not allow us any space.

We just have to hope that the Champion's League sides don't wise up to this, as well. Otherwise, the results will be reflected there as well.
The space appeared because we were 1-0 up (lucky enough), otherwise they would not put their back line in the middle of the pitch. People saw the 5-0, no focus on our woeful performance before the last flurry of fun. Same with Newcastle really. As an attacking team against decent opposition, the manager is far away from being the right fit.

jesperjaap

I enjoy the analysis. But Keene is full of clichés. WE obviously got our team sheet wrong today and you could tell in the first five minutes. The subs didn't fix it. So it's Ole that lost the game for me.
Though I agree on the team sheet being wrong, dont agree about Keane. He is right regarding leaders, attitude and rolling your sleeeves up with so many of these players who are just so inconsistent

Tapori

Pathetic performance. Summed up by Maguire and lindelof passing sideways to each other for about a minute at the beginning of stoppage time. It's a team without a clue how to attack coherently as a unit. If ole hasn't instilled that attacking identity by now is he ever likely to?
This worries me. No intensity in the passing.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Horrible formation, just didnt see us every truly breaking through and getting good opportunities to score.

Feels like a long season of pain is coming our way. Something needs to change and fast before this ends up a disaster

GiddyUp

Pogba should never start a game again. Absolutely liability and still thinks he is the dog's bollocks.
I remember someone saying he plays like he's trying to impress a girl he fancies. Best description I've seen to be honest.

Judas

Open to offers
I just want to see us as a proper attacking unit, we've got more than enough players of true quality to achieve it, and yet we look nothing like that. We're pathetically defensive. It's pretty shameful, especially against this level of opposition.

Whatsername

Only even slightest remote positive, is not now having to spend 4 or so hours driving back from Old Trafford in the wet, cold and dark.
Yeah, the only positive I can see is I haven’t wasted my time and money driving up and down the M6 to watch that performance.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 316 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal
  • 22% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal