PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 January 2023

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Good game and can't complain too much at the end, good effort but 2 teams both massively improved on last season. It's just great to see the team actually competing at the highest level again.

Robbie Boy

It's almost like Arteta hasn't had 150 odd games and a feck tonne of cash, to build his own side. Compared to ETH's, what, 8 months or so. Some of you need to cop the feck on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We have the squad we have at the end of the day. I dont look at the bench and see that we could have changed things without presenting ourselves with other problems.

I’ve seen us go into these games and get battered. I’ve see us just sit back and hope for counters. For me, today was an improvement on past performances in terms of mentality. No other squad we’ve had in the last ten years could have gone to the emirates with the players we had missing and not gotten eviscerated.

Ive seen enough in that performance to know that we are improving at an incredible pace under ten hag and that we’ll be competing at the very top by the time we get to the same point in our cycle as Arsenal are.
Hopefully when everyone missing today is back, we'll look at the bench and see Wegy, Sancho and Garnacho on the attacking side. Plus the likes of McFred and Wan Bissaka for short term squad fill freshness.

Fts 74

A good summer transfer away from challenging.

No complaints with the result they deserved it don't get the ETH bashing the bench was poor.

We move on.

roseguy64

Garnacho will be playing 90 against Forest, then Reading, then Forest again. Too much for the kid. Thats why ETH was reluctant.
That's nonsense sorry. Playing 15-20 minutes in this game would not have impacted him for those 3. And he will not be playing 90 minutes for all those games. I doubt he starts all 3.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s always shite losing late on but look at the positives. Arteta has had years coaching his side and spent hundreds of millions in the process, ETH has had half a season and was missing his most important player today, yet the two sides aren’t even that far apart. Had we had Casemiro playing we win this imo and it’s a completely different narrative. We’re making great progress, the fact there was even talk of a title challenge just shows how far we’ve come in such a short time. Another transfer window and year of ETH coaching his philosophy into this team then who knows what’s possible.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Arsenal are arguably the best team in the world at the moment, and while they deserved to win we were not that far off. We are much better than some months ago and I cannot see us getting hammered anytime soon.
The Palace game annoys me more than the loss today. It is about top 4.
Put Casemiro, Martial and Dalot (maybe a fit Sancho as well) into this side and things look different.
We need at least one more top class midfielder and a forward.

hobbers

The desperation to revel in a defeat that you bring out fecking xG. :lol:

No idea why I bother watching matches when I can skip them and let xG tell me how they actually went down. Would save a fortune on subscriptions to TV channels for a start.
Bizarre, the xG doesnt tell us anything that your eyes shouldn't have already told you.

Imagine how royally fecked we'd be if ETH looked back on that sort of performance and thought we'd played well. :lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think ETH got his team selection all wrong today. I know it sucked missing Cassemiro but Fred needed to start. Fred took DeBruyne right out of the game last week. He should have done the same job on Odegard today. And as much as everyone would hate to see it, McFred should have started with either Bruno or Erikson, not both. Perhaps I would play Erikson in 10 and Bruno on the right, but I'd probably opt to keep Erikson out. I would have also preferred to see Rashford start in the #9 today. Arsenal hold a high line, so a target man isn't really what's needed. I'd rather have a player making runs behind the defense like Rashford does. Or at least bring Garanacho on at 60 minutes and move Rashford to the #9 at that point
Was it Fred who gave the freekick away against Palace that cost us two points? Trouble with Fred is you can get the City game or a complete nightmare. I did think Fred would start, but don't think he is some footballing god. He can be fecking awful most of the time.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
If we had lost a few goals in last 20 mins, I would have accepted it was down to midweek tiredness but conceding in 90th Min ( 2nd game in a row) is down to attitude and concentration.
Any fit player can muster enough energy to see out the last few minutes. Its the concentration that's failing us.

I do think Maguire would have been perfect for a backs to the wall last 15 minutes.

CoopersDream

Better team won. I thought we were pretty good for the first hour, but tired a bit towards the end. Would have been nice to get a point or more, but can't complain too much with a narrow loss.

tjb

If Sancho has lost some timber I think ETH will bring him in on the right side to give Antony what he deserves.
We are very fortunate in this regard. I expect one of Sancho or Anthony or both to step up and take that right wing spot. We also have Amad and Pellestri who can play. Rashford can also play on the right at times in case we use Garnacho. Moving forward we have so many options when it comes to the flanks. Which is why I'm not worried about Antony. If he doesn't do what is required, we have other players who aren't available yet who can take that role.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
That's nonsense sorry. Playing 15-20 minutes in this game would not have impacted him for those 3. And he will not be playing 90 minutes for all those games. I doubt he starts all 3.
Even if he did he's a youngster, he can handle it, one of our kids played in 2 games yeterday!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We are very fortunate in this regard. I expect one of Sancho or Anthony or both to step up and take that right wing spot. We also have Amad and Pellestri who can play. Rashford can also play on the right at times in case we use Garnacho. Moving forward we have so many options when it comes to the flanks. Which is why I'm not worried about Antony. If he doesn't do what is required, we have other players who aren't available yet who can take that role.
The RW is a position we have depth for a change.

OrcaFat

I think ETH got his team selection all wrong today. I know it sucked missing Cassemiro but Fred needed to start. Fred took DeBruyne right out of the game last week. He should have done the same job on Odegard today. And as much as everyone would hate to see it, McFred should have started with either Bruno or Erikson, not both. Perhaps I would play Erikson in 10 and Bruno on the right, but I'd probably opt to keep Erikson out. I would have also preferred to see Rashford start in the #9 today. Arsenal hold a high line, so a target man isn't really what's needed. I'd rather have a player making runs behind the defense like Rashford does. Or at least bring Garanacho on at 60 minutes and move Rashford to the #9 at that point
I agree with this pretty much.

I’d have played Fred from the start with Eriksen and McT and with Bruno at RW. I’d have subbed Eriksen for Garnacho at half time (as Eriksen always fades badly after the break) and moved Bruno back to 10. Then at about 55 mins take Weg off for Anthony and put Rash to CF. Well, that would have been my plan at kickoff.

glasgow 21

Please this is not on the FA or VAR. We brought it on ourselves with that disgraceful last 20 mins. Same f**king thing against Palace. What happened to being brave under pressure? Far too many spineless players who repeatedly do not stand up and be counted when needed the most.
Correct, when our player,McT in particular) has to hold or draw the opposition in, drop a shoulder and beat his press, 9 out of 10 times a 50/50 pass is played that either puts your own player in difficulty or its intercepted. Rangick is right we bought 5 players but needed 10. So another window in summer should strengthen ETH hand but he caused the panic last 20 mins by not replacing like with like. Fred for Mctominay, Garancho for Weghurst, and Pelllistri for Antony and Manioo for Ericksen, we needed more legs in last 20 mins. Especially when we equalised and Licha's get out of jail header. I would a preferred a 3-1, it just give me hope. Palace and Arsenal total of 5 final mins out of 180 and 2 goals. Shame we are skint and can't add substances to the midfield. Are there no takers for Mctominay and sign Enzo on 6 year deal at 20m at year covering this and next with MCtT sale

JustinC00

No game mid-week, Casemiro and Dalot in and that's a W

A lot of you had us getting rolled 4/5-0 but it was AWB and DDG blunders that sunk us. Anyone slighting ETH is a moron. "best team in the league" lost to us 3-1 and needed a 90th minute goal after having a week off while we had 3 days off to win and arteta's had 6 windows,. ETH has had 1.

League should be very worried if we get new owners that open the check book for ETH.

MrBest

The scoreline showed it to be a closer game but in reality, Arsenal were on another level. I'm proud of our lads though, 4 months ago we would have lost that 3 or 4 nil. We have progressed well, still a long way to go and the future is very bright. I think we can get 4th, that's all that matters this season and hopefully a trophey to celebrate.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Was it Fred who gave the freekick away against Palace that cost us two points? Trouble with Fred is you can get the City game or a complete nightmare. I did think Fred would start, but don't think he is some footballing god. He can be fecking awful most of the time.
So a midfielder can never give away a free kick. Got it...sigh

Trex

We played a team that has just lost once all season the best side in the league this season. They've had more time building under their manager, this is our first season under ETH and we've been doing reasonably well. We should probably make top 4 and go for one of the cup.
We need more reinforcements but that will come in time. Its a process and we aren't there yet.

12oskell

I'm surprised the amount of people saying Rashford had a good game. It's worrying the flashes of the old Rashford have come out last two games. Great goal aside today, he ran into dead ends constantly, giving the ball away, never passes and didn't track back at all from what I can remember.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I agree with this pretty much.

I’d have played Fred from the start with Eriksen and McT and with Bruno at RW. I’d have subbed Eriksen for Garnacho at half time (as Eriksen always fades badly after the break) and moved Bruno back to 10. Then at about 55 mins take Weg off for Anthony and put Rash to CF. Well, that would have been my plan at kickoff.
I think we started with the right team, we fell apart when Antony came off, he may not have done much as a goal/creative threat but he was very good at holing the ball up and enabled the team to move up the pitch

Chairman Steve

We’ve had two of the toughest domestic fixtures we could possibly have this season in the space of 8 days, combined with a trip to one of our bogey grounds in between. They’re neatly out the way now and the only way we can face one of them now is in the FA Cup, and one’s got to go from that since they’ve drawn together.

There are some tough away fixtures still but I do not fear those teams. If anyone maybe Liverpool at Anfield since they always turn up against us, no matter how shite they are at any given time. We could be 3 in a row league winners and they’d still beat us if they were bottom of the table and their players had leprosy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm surprised the amount of people saying Rashford had a good game. It's worrying the flashes of the old Rashford have come out last two games. Great goal aside today, he ran into dead ends constantly, giving the ball away, never passes and didn't track back at all from what I can remember.
He did have a good game given that he played on the left (not central) and scored an amazing goal away to Arsenal, and nearly got a 2nd if not for an improbable Ramsdale reaction save. You can only do so well when Weghorst is leading your line and you don't have the benefit of your best midfielder due to suspension.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Happy to say this loss showed progress, however disappointing.

If I had to pick an L from the Arse-Citeh double-header, it'd be here because I don't want Citeh winning a 3rd in a row.

It's really the Palace result that makes today's loss feel worse.

Someone

Something
Disappointing loss but we're getting there. Feels like we're a lot like Arsenal but they're just few miles ahead. We could've won the game with just a bit of focus but all in all I felt we did well. A good summer window and we'll be much harder to beat.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They absolutely deserved it.

We've lost control of two games in 5 days around the 70th min mark.

Our back up and bench options are not up to title contending quality, and our starters in midfield are knackered. Simple

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
A good summer transfer away from challenging.

No complaints with the result they deserved it don't get the ETH bashing the bench was poor.

We move on.
If players get flak then so should the manager when he gets it wrong, he's got it wrong in the last 2 matches IMO, doesn't mean he's a bad or the wrong manager

Irrational.

We lost the game the moment Casemiro picked up that booking in the Palace fixture. You saw it in the players’ (and ETH’s) reactions. It cannot be overstated how important he is to the team. A truly world class player that makes us tick. To say McTominay is a downgrade on him is like saying a Sega Mega Drive is a downgrade on a PlayStation 5. They are both leagues apart.

We had a few disappointments but I’m most disappointed in Antony. You look at Saka and the bravery he shows in the final third, then look at Antony who is scared to take his man on or impact the game. For £100 million you would’ve expected so much more. Surely ETH needs to put more faith in Garnacho, speaking of whom should’ve been brought on when Arse had us pinned back. It was too little, too late when he came on.

We were overrun in midfield, and although we didn’t play badly, Arsenal were simply the better team. Credit to them for the performance. You could see right from the beginning when they got the succession of corners that they’ve developed a steeliness and hunger to win that is usually found in champions.

Still expect City to win the league, mind.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We deserved nothing, it was a set-piece that kept is in the game until the end.

Sadly, if you can't enjoy even a few brief spells of possession throughout the 90 minutes, you get nothing nowadays. Also, hate to admit it, but Arsenal are as good as the PL table - and the healthy gap between them and their chasers - suggests.

Never expected to write this, but the sooner Dalot gets back into the side, the better.

De Gea, and i love the man, will not get a new contract at United. And you can see why.

We are currently playing like a team that knows that only one of its players can score a goal from open play. Which for the most part is true.

Saka's potential is great. Odegaard is the best facilitator in the league when it comes to operating between the lines.

I'll defend ETH's work at the club, but come on, that Fred for Antony sub will end up being a meme by the end of the season. More so today, it was an unfortunate decision to bring off the only player who could keep the ball in the attacking half for more than 3 secs.

That little "box" in the midfield with Partey, Xhaka, Zinchenko, White and Odegaard will win Arteta the league. Tactics, aka "patterns of play" matter. As does being shrewd in the market and knowing what you're doing. A friendly reminder that the four Arteta signings cost as much as Maguire, AWB and VdB.

Anyway, nothing changes for us. We were never in the title race, we crossed City and Arse off our fixture list, and we keep going to secure a top-four finish.

TheReligion

Abusive
The desperation to revel in a defeat that you bring out fecking xG. :lol:

No idea why I bother watching matches when I can skip them and let xG tell me how they actually went down. Would save a fortune on subscriptions to TV channels for a start.
Pathetic isn’t it?

Even the likes of BBC and Sky have said how much improved United are and although they faded today (understandable given we’ve played three games this week and Arsenal have had a week off) the lads still dug in. It’s clear we are building something.

Ten Hag has been here 6 months. Some people need a head wobble.

Andersonson

We lost to a full strength team at home who had a full week to rest
Yes. We did. And we lost to a team who's better coached at the moment. Arteta has had time which makes them a better team?
Who are, what, almost four years into their cycle under Arteta?

Christ!
?? Of course they are better coached, he has had 4 years to work with them.
We will be fine

Infra-red

We were 'OK' until 2-2 and then absolutely horrendous for the remainder of the game and fully deserved the defeat.

Bit of a free hit for us with our other top 4 contenders dropping points, so not disastrous for our top 4 hopes, but this definitely confirms that 'top 4' is indeed the absolutely limit of this United side's capabilities this season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Pathetic isn’t it?

Even the likes of BBC and Sky have said how much improved United are and although they faded today (understandable given we’ve played three games this week and Arsenal have had a week off) the lads still dug in. It’s clear we are building something.

Ten Hag has been here 6 months. Some people need a head wobble.
Some people use xG because they have zero understanding of a game of football!

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Arsenal 2:1 Man Utd