PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ultimately lost by the bench. There were very little good options left. Thought Evans was a clever choice to try and calm things down but we needed a couple of fit midfielders to come on. Can't do that with Hannibal and Gore unfortunately.

Really really close game and a very good performance. Honestly think we'll end up above Arsenal if we keep playing like this. The Gunners are good but lack mentality.

Onana my man of the match. He's proper quality. Dalot was great against Saka and Rasmus reminded us what an actual striker looks like. Not a bad goal from Rashford either.

Very happy that we didn't collapse in the second half. Not so pleased that we did collapse in the final ten-twenty minutes, but it's progress for sure. It's mostly just annoying because of the narrative around away losses.
We didn't need to collapse in the whole of a half, just needed the last 2mins!

Dannn411

Expected result but could easily have been different. Bruno is a pitiful excuse for a footballer. I'm done with him. Zero link between defense and the attackers.

Thankfully Martial will no longer play for us end of this season. With Hojlund back the retirement can start early. Another utterly useless fecker.

Trequarista10

Meh, close game could have gone either way. Garnacho offside goal by the barest of margins, we would likely have held on or at least finished 2-2 but for a couple millimetres. Evans got outmuscled for the Rice goal, then gets to it late and unfortunate deflection, maybe Maguire should have realised and stepped out.

Hojlund is promising. Garnacho always looks threatening from the bench. Bruno and Rashford can score or create from nothing. I think we need to see Amrabat and Casemiro together in these tough games. Would like to see someone get a run of games in place of Antony. Martinez and Lindelof getting subbed off is alarming. Thankfully its international break, right?

FriedClams

The only thing I recall Rice doing all match was the deflected goal, but apparently he’s the GOAT according to the commentators.
that’s the thing about him, so much of what he does is hard to notice but for me, he was fantastic for them today

r0663664

Worships Man City
I didn't expect us to win but I was surprised that we took the lead. Happiness turns to frustration with our weak mentality from our players. In the end, we lost 3-1 which I expected. A couple of things, Hoijund is strong and fast. He was able to bully defender unlike Martial who was completely useless for 65 mins. Another scratch game from Antony, did nothing for 75 mins. We deserve to lose when we have 2 passengers in the team that does nothing.

YikesSchmeics

So many people in match day thread predicting a loss then delighted to be proved right. Sitting at home hoping Arsenal would score no doubt so they could jump on and say told you so. Pathetic.

We were much better today than we have been. Still quite a way to go. Hojlund will give us much more up too. Excited to see it. Could see glimpses today.

Sat off way too much towards the end but it’s not as shocking a performance as some people are trying to make out.
Couldn't agree more. The state of some of our fans. In terms of play, that was our best performance of the season. But a skewed result means the misery merchants get to have their beloved tantrum.

We were desperately unlucky with the offside and then the Rice goal was equally bad luck with a bloody deflection and a questionable foul. Without our 2 starting CBs. And our 3rd choice CB.

Thought we played well enough. Managed to play put from the back without looking like a comedy show. Could have won it with Garnacho. And were threatening throughout.

Hojlujd very lively too and will add a new dimension to our attack. Overall I'm excited to see how we look when we have Amrabat, Hojlund, Mount, Varane and Sancho all in the same match day squad so we can play for 90 +20 mins without dropping off to Maguire and Jevans.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Could of drew or won on another day. Doesn't changer the larger problem at hand - Ten Hag's style of football is awful. Looks like we will struggle for goals again.
It's fine will just need some work. We're in transition. The bigger problem is being starved of strength in depth by the Glazers, our dead wood (Martial, Maguire) and FFP.

slored1

CLEAR foul on Evans during the corner. Of course that is allowed now. Our next set-piece should be just 8 players hugging the opponents and letting Hojlund head it in. Ridiculous and unfair.

Rednotdead

We’re just a weak team. We get dominated by even ordinary teams and just rely on breakaways. Casemiro is done, Eriksen is done. This season will be a struggle.

Anton Trencher

Presumably Arse have just won the League judging by their reaction. Lego Pep is so fecking annoying.

Ludens the Red

Best performance of the season for me. Hojlund looked good when he came on, Antony played well.

Gutted to lose but I think I feel better about our chances this season after that than any of the other games this season.
The delusion is strong here …

Dobba

Went into the game playing a right back at left back against one of the best wingers on the planet and ended it with our last two CBs in the squad depth chart on the pitch and people are complaining about the manager after a fluke scoreline that was a bollock hair away from us having a 2-1 lead with 10 to go?

Oh it's the Cafe, I forgot for a second.

Jacko21

At the minute, we're a supporting character in somebody else's story.

Arsenal couldn't have scripted a better outcome - disallowed United goal, 96th winner from Rice. Cue wild celebrations.

Cruel on us, but at least we can take a little more encouragement from that performance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So poor from Evans man

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I think 10cm offsides shouldn't be given simply because you can't really prove it with dubious camera angles and arbitrary "drawn" lines. You'd need lasers from opposite sides of the pitch to actually measure it correctly.

SirScholes

Yes yes we are always unlucky whenever we lose. You make your own luck:
Love a cliche

and no, that’s not correct, sometimes we deserve it, today we didn’t

more than matched arsenal today and that’s with 4 first team players injured, losing another centre back and our star striker just coming back from injury

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finishing with your 5th and 6th choice CBs (if you include Shaw as a CB option) is just terrible luck. Maybe we still lose with Varane and Martinez for the full game, but we'll never know.

Need them all back quickly.
Yup. But not only them... Whatever the reason for amrabat taking so long, we had no options to freshen legs in midfield. Mount injured. Where was Mctom. Mainoo injured.

We were clearly dead on our feet and needed fresh legs which we didn't have the option to bring on. I don't know what's going on but this amount of injuries is insane after a few games.

Gorse Hill Red

Can’t understand why people are saying we played well, I thought we were negative from the start and never looked like taking the game to Arsenal.
When was the last time we went away to one of the top teams and played them off the park?
Our passing and pressing is still shoddy and way off the top teams.
Rant over.

Chicharo

Gutted for Garnacho's disallowed goal...
On the other hand, at one point Maguire and Dalot exchanged about 10 passed between them with no intention of coming forward, and then Maguire retreated and sent the ball straight to their players. What are we to expect with that kind of "tactics"?

SirScholes

I think 10cm offsides shouldn't be given simply because you can't really prove it with dubious camera angles and arbitrary "drawn" lines. You'd need lasers from opposite sides of the pitch to actually measure it correctly.
They are trialing a clear day light rule somewhere
I think that’s a great ide a

MinGin

What were we better at compared to last season at Emirates? We were cowardly then and we were cowardly today. Just sat back and tried to absorb the pressure. Where's that pressing we were promised? Where's the ability to keep the ball and dominate possession? There's no signs of it either and that's the worst part after spending close to 400 mil in 2 summers.
We were keeping the ball when Martinez is on the field...400M is not enough to fill up our leaking of starter and rotator nowaday..we are so poor in defender..midfield and strikers before 2 summer ago..

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I thought we’d be closer this season with competing against top teams but obviously not. When you’re ending a game with Maguire and Evans then something isn’t right! Ridiculous

Someone

Something
Think we played a good game and could've won it. The fact that we ended the game without our 5th and 6th Choice CBs is extremely unlucky.

mav_9me

3-1 doesn't reflect the actual game much. We were doing quite well in the 2nd half.

Not sure why Evans had to come on for Lindelof.

NK86

We scored a goal in the 86th minute, you plank.
Yeah, what was the scoreline again genius?

Also, I was not aware we count offside goals now. Do you want to start counting every touch in the penalty box next to show us we are better?

siw2007

Absolutely gutting. 3rd defeat in a row at Emirates, 2nd successive defeat after taking the lead there and what feels even worse was losing in extra time for the 2nd time in a row.

It wasn’t pretty from us but we defended admirably all game. Excellent goal from Rashford, Antony had one his best games in a United shirt. Arsenal were probably the better team but we had 2-3 good chances to win this game and Garnacho being marginally offside was so deflating, that was a huge moment as it looked like the team were being pushed back.

6 points is not where I’d want to be at this stage. We haven’t looked particularly great and have lost to both top 5 rivals and with a host of injuries piling up. Brighton will be very difficult but we need to get some players back and find an extra gear from somewhere before the pressure piles on.

Gopher Brown

By the way, that is an obvious foul on Evans for the Rice goal. Absolutely shocking refereeing. What's the point in VAR when that shit happens?

They should have had that penalty too.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
turned it off the moment rice's shot went in, how on earth did they score a third

arnie_ni

What was dalot doing on the 2nd goal? Why didn't he push rice? If he even stayed on the post he'd have blocked it. Probably our MOTM all the same

Schnappo

Thought we managed the game well and should have been walking out of the Emirates with a point. Frustrating that we went to sleep on a set piece and it cost us big time. But I have to be honest, even though Arsenal weren't at their best, to me there was an inevitability that we were going to concede again. It's just what we do on the road. This was never a 3-1 game but there's a reason that our away record is utterly abysmal.

YikesSchmeics

I didn't expect us to win but I was surprised that we took the lead. Happiness turns to frustration with our weak mentality from our players. In the end, we lost 3-1 which I expected. A couple of things, Hoijund is strong and fast. He was able to bully defender unlike Martial who was completely useless for 65 mins. Another scratch game from Antony, did nothing for 75 mins. We deserve to lose when we have 2 passengers in the team that does nothing.

Antony was a good outlet down the right when they pressed harder and he drew fouls and kept possession well. He is also pressing very effectively and winning the ball a lot, not just today but so far this season. I think Hojlund will enjoy playing with him.

He tracked back twice and made 2 key interceptions.

Calling him a passenger is disingenuous.

Daverson

1. I don't understand the defending at corners. Two times at least there's no aerial challenge for the ball and then can control it on their feet with a free man... ridiculous that so many were on the front post for their second goal.

2. Hojlund looks a menace

3. We were okay, not too terrible. Away from home, quite even although arsenal had better chances and probably more possession.

4. Passing out from the back was too slow, and now we have to work with lindelof maguire and evans with the passing out from the back. Onanas long balls werent attacked or missed their targets, so looks tough for us to move up through the pitch. At least the international break gives time for injuries to heal a bit more and for others to get fitter.

5. Although better today, Antony needs to have a better end product, even trying to cross with his right - a low ball in across shouldn't be too hard to execute.

6. I am worried about Onana's shot stopping ability

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
We fecking scored to make it 2-1, we dominated possession towards the end of the first off. We just didn’t finish properly in the final third. Onana had a couple of saves and one of those was directly at him.
Dominated possession for a twenty minute period of a ninety minute game?

We didn't make it 2-1, it was offside. Plus, it was a lucky break away.

Ramsdale made no saves and we got one jammy goal.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd