PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

Devil You Know

This is where Rashford's decision making often lets him down. He looks for the same type of passes. He's trying to find Hojlund the other side of the defender, but he doesn't lift his head to contemplate dropping it right inside for Hojlund, who only has to make the simple pass to put Garnacho through one on one with the keeper.

This is what stops Marcus from moving from a top class striker to a world class one. He just can't correct that part of his game, and likely never will.

Passing the ball backwards to Rasmus, who was surrounded by 4 defenders, would have been the wrong decision.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What do we expect.

A front 4 of the laziest bunch in the EPL

Martial should be sent to reserve and let rot. Rashford needs an ego check.. if he can't put up the sweat he needs to be at least dropped.. Bruno needs to keep the ball better..

We wont wint anything let alone win big with so many passengers in the team.

Maguire and Evans? Good lord... From Rio and Vidic to this...

Season is over. Top 4 is the limit this year. And it's a high bar

cyril C

Theres so much doom and gloom, I actually thought we did ok considering the opposition.
There are games when everything fell apart, there are games that we actually played well but unlucky to lose. Arsenal was the latter.

ETH's problem is to play us like Ajax, the same 11, same formation, whether away or home whether big team or small. This was the 1st time (almost) that I saw the difference, on how we approach big game, even with the same 11 players (sort of). Fullback cautiously stayed behind most of the time, wingers (Rashford and Antony) supported the fullback on defence, well, until the Injury time.

This still impose the problem of cutting out Bruno's involvement, but at least I can see the discipline on defending and threat on counter., which we almost got away with a win.

I noticed some fan criticising VAR on the offside, come on, VAR was good on both decision, you just can't welcome it when it is for us, criticise it when it is against. It was simply unlucky by a toe.

My strategy for a Big Game is to swap 1 of Eriksen/Bruno for a more defensive MF, but then I am not ETH.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is where Rashford's decision making often lets him down. He looks for the same type of passes. He's trying to find Hojlund the other side of the defender, but he doesn't lift his head to contemplate dropping it right inside for Hojlund, who only has to make the simple pass to put Garnacho through one on one with the keeper.

This is what stops Marcus from moving from a top class striker to a world class one. He just can't correct that part of his game, and likely never will.

I do think Rashford's decision making at times can be frustrating, but using a still image for this attack as proof isn't indicative of it IMO.

I think Antony should have been wider in his run to free up more space for Hojlund and Rashford subsequently.

Doracle

Posting a still image of that is nonsense. The pass you are talking about is not really on running at full pace on his left foot.

If anything the issue in this attack was Hojlund bending his run away from Rashford. If you look at that still image you can see him already starting to peel away to the right. He should have been driving into the space behind the player going out to Rashford - that then leaves a relatively simple ball for Rashford to slip him in on his left foot or, if the defender keeps pace with him, gives space for Rashford to check his run and chip a pass over to a now unmarked Antony at the far post.

Doracle

Generally thought this was our most encouraging performance so far this season. There was little between the teams and, had the Garnacho goal stood, then it would have been a relatively well-deserved away win. Rashford and Hojlund look like they can work well together. If we bring Amrabat in for Eriksen then we will, hopefully, start to look more solid in midfield.

reelworld

Can't believe how many people here liked that performance.
It was cowardly and one pace football especially in the second half. Arsenal wasn't even that good. They're also trying to bed in new players and new system, but they looked much better in possession and much more inventive in their attack. Il
Bad bad loss. Erik needs to get his shit together or this season is going to be ugly

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
"Victor was ill, so he had to come off," explained the manager.

"And Licha said he had a problem on his foot. But I'm not sure if it's an injury.

"We have to wait, we have to see, we have to make the diagnosis."
source: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...elof-mctominay-sancho-after-arsenal-v-man-utd

I really hope both Licha and Lindeloff recover during the international break, because we should never see Maguire or veteran Evans be our CBs, let alone to see them both be in the center of our defense. I would seriously rather Bailly play as CB, since he was also not sold than those two. He is always injured, but at least we remember some decent games from Bailly, when he wasn't injured. Unless he's completely gone down in his form/abilities.

Feck Glazers for not managing to get rid of the Slubhead and not buying/loaning a decent CB instead. Our luck for getting so many injuries in our razor-thin defense, so early in the season :(

LDUred

I thought we did ok in the second half and deserved something out of the game, but there were some clear issues to address with the midfield showing for the ball and with the non-existent pressing from the likes of Rashford and Martial. Antony does well defensively but he didn't pass muster in attacking terms, and it is not like the first time. He is becoming a bit of a Park Ji-Sung/Dirk Kuyt type player, which is not a totally bad thing, but it's not really what we bought him for.

However, we can't overlook the fact that we got some absolute stinkers today from the officials.

The Hojlund penalty shout is now all over Twitter and it is absolutely stone wall. Gabriel has basically rugby tackled him to the floor by putting his arm right across his body. It is such a clear cut pen and it is absolutely scandalous that it was not even picked up by Anthony Taylor. I would love to see Dermot Gallagher trying to argue that was the right call; it is that blatant a foul.

I haven't seen it in slo-mo but a lot of people are saying that the Odegaard shot that led to the corner resulting in Rice's equalizer never was one, either.

That's before you pick the bones out of the Garnacho offside decision.

I would give us 6.5 for today's performance. I thought Hojlund looked strong and quick and there were some decent displays from Dalot, Bruno, and Lisandro. Garnacho, as always, looked very effective as a sub. I am definitely worried about Onana's shot stopping and positioning and Rashford, aside from his goal, was wasteful of many good openings.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Rashy has played waaaaay too long without a decent CF and it may be contributing to his unwillingness to pass, instead opting to do something himself way too often. Hojlund's short cameo today was very promising. He was head and shoulders above Martial and most CFs we've had in recent years, despite it being his first game for United and in EPL. I really hope he hits the ground running, and establishes great partnership with our wingers, Rashy - first and foremost. We will see much better United if that happens. Fingers crossed.

JediSith

Is anyone disappointed with Onana’s manner of dealing with 1 Vs 1 so far?

The goal Vs Forest he stayed pretty still. Arsenal’s third I felt like he could have run out more to narrow the space between him and Jesus. Would have still be Jesus’ to miss. But with a keeper rushing at you it puts more pressure, gives less space to hit at and you can’t take your time and choose where to place it.

This is just an observation. He seems a bit like DDG in those situations. Based on what Ive heard about him I’d thought he’d be more a rush out close the angle type of keeper. So that’s an aspect of his game Ive been unpleasantly surprised with so far. Obviously other aspects are very good.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It was cowardly and one pace football especially in the second half. Arsenal wasn't even that good. They're also trying to bed in new players and new system, but they looked much better in possession and much more inventive in their attack. Il
Bad bad loss. Erik needs to get his shit together or this season is going to be ugly
Yeah. I don't buy the idea that we were unlucky to lose. If it had finished 1-1, Arsenal would be thinking they were unlucky not to win it.

JediSith

Think there’s a big difference between “ liking it” and viewing it as a performance with signs of positivity. Especially after our matches Vs Wolves and Spurs.

leeroyTX

As disappointing as the result was, I’m excited for what’s coming. Hojlund looks like the real deal and exactly what we’ve been missing since Fergie days. He’s strong and plays well with his back to goal. Might take a little time to get with Rashford and Bruno…but the goals are going to come.

reelworld

Yeah. I don't buy the idea that we were unlucky to lose. If it had finished 1-1, Arsenal would be thinking they were unlucky not to win it.
Arsenal was pushing for the winner and was quite comfortable in doing so. They are clearly the better side, and we as I've seen many times, tried to cling dearly to a draw and in the end got what we deserve. Absolutely nothing.

reelworld

Think there’s a big difference between “ liking it” and viewing it as a performance with signs of positivity. Especially after our matches Vs Wolves and Spurs.
that's the thing. I don't think this is better than Wolves or Spurs performance. I'd argue the only thing that's better than against Spurs was we took our chances better in the first half.
But in terms of performance, there's very little in it. Only bright side was Garnacho and Hojlund.

I just can't remember a United performance where they're playing at walking pace when they need and can get a win.
There's 2 possibilities:
- The players stamina are shattered by mid second half
- Ten Hag instructed them to play at slower pace
Both are not good endorsement of Ten Hag ability to coach this team

Levi1

Game was lost by our headless chicken joker defender Mick MacChoir. We'd have had a better defender in there if he wasn't so greedy and headstrong. Can't actually believe that were STILL having to put with him. As soon as he came on, the pressure was on us and you just knew he'd make a mistake. Should have been Kim on the field in his stead.

Tarrou

that was fecking devastating

credit to Arsenal for getting the win but feck me that offside call was so close

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Thought we were shite tbh. There's so little fight and identity in this team it's both embarrassing and worrying. Considering our game plan was our usual cowardly approach to playing big teams, that being sit back and soak up all the pressure and try to hit them on the break, we did a feckin awful job of soaking up any pressure. We were so disjointed and chaotic at the back. A better team would have destroyed us. The amount of space Arsenal had in and around the edge of the box was laughable. Hojlund looked decent enough, but if he's expecting to receive service from Rashford then he's in for a long season.

ants7

It was close until Evans & Maguire came on. However, Arsenal was really poor considering how they played last season which does not say much about us. We're still incredibly poor attacking-wise. I really hope that Rasmus can come in and offer us something. It'll be a long season.

meamth

I was really disappointed after the game, it was a bad result, but I believe in stability and new signings bedding in.

Once we get into form, we can get back to our post world cup run last season.

The players and the coaching staff needs to work extra hard and achieve something this season. I believe in this team however mad I am right now.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I liked the match a lot. I don't think either team gave a poor performance. Rashford's goal was excellent. I just don't think that bringing in Evans is a good way of conducting business.

This performance was much better than most of our away ones last season. Looking forward to our next home game. Have to put up with the international break.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
As disappointing as the result was, I’m excited for what’s coming. Hojlund looks like the real deal and exactly what we’ve been missing since Fergie days. He’s strong and plays well with his back to goal. Might take a little time to get with Rashford and Bruno…but the goals are going to come.
Early days, we're the Space Jam, good players enter, good players becomes bad.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
Evans was going to until his shirt got pulled. 100% foul, goal shouldn’t have stood.
Genuinely don’t understand how that didn’t even get looked at

Red & White

The problem is, when you put out the performances we did in the opening 3 league games, you don’t have much in the bag when you are a bit unfortunate like we were yesterday. If we’d been playing better football this season fans would have a bit more respect for the team/ manager and feel it’s just one of those games. Everything feels pretty hopeless with the club at the moment with what’s going on in the background, too.

Mike Smalling

I was wondering if I should create a thread on this, but I'll just post here instead.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on with our complete lack of mental fortitude and composure? So far this season we've seen:
- Complete failure to show up for the first game of the season, which was at home against a weak side.
- Going two goals down against relegation fodder within 5 minutes (also at home).
- Inability to calmy close out that same game after Forest went down to ten men.
- Conceding just one minute after getting the opening goal vs. Arsenal.
- Conceding shortly after having our own goal disallowed vs. Arsenal.

Add this to the general problem on away form that has persisted for more than a season now. The side is not particularly young or inexperienced overall. Do we just have weak characters? Is it the coaching? Or just a general lack of quality?

Jeffthered

What do we expect.

A front 4 of the laziest bunch in the EPL

Martial should be sent to reserve and let rot. Rashford needs an ego check.. if he can't put up the sweat he needs to be at least dropped.. Bruno needs to keep the ball better..

We wont wint anything let alone win big with so many passengers in the team.

Maguire and Evans? Good lord... From Rio and Vidic to this...

Season is over. Top 4 is the limit this year. And it's a high bar
Yes, I'm afraid this is also my feeling. We just have not reached that 'balance' yet... and it's confusing. I feel something is just not quite right, and it's across the club. This thing of ego.. the owners, the executive, some of the players. Manchester United seems like it has become a place of too many opportunists, on and off the pitch. Some need to explore and fully understand the history of the club and the type of characters made this club. Humility is important, get your head down and work like you have never worked before... that doesn't mean running around, or being daft. I see so many kissing the badge, and it means nothing for many.

Clubc like Brentford, Brighton, look at Villa, Newcastle.. they seem to have a better team, club ethic.. an identity, a balance, it reflects on and off the pitch. Even West Ham in a way.. but I appreciate the expectations and pressures at these clubs are far, far different.

We still seem to be seeking this balance. Chelsea are in a similar position. ETH is trying, I grant him that, but he needs to be more astute and streetwise wth his signings and how he wants us to play. This is not Eredivisie. Mourinho, LVG.. big managers have come in with ego, and great records and have found Man Utd quite tough.

Top four will be a great achievment with this squad, and maybe the best thing is to now admit that we are still way off challenging for the title and CL, and let the players, and us fans, just relax and enjoy the games. I just don't think we have the attacking talent to worry teams.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just a random question, is there not a U21 CB who could be our 5th CB instead of Evans ?

Yes, I'm afraid this is also my feeling. We just have not reached that 'balance' yet... and it's confusing. I feel something is just not quite right, and it's across the club. This thing of ego.. the owners, the executive, some of the players. Manchester United seems like it has become a place of too many opportunists, on and off the pitch. Some need to explore and fully understand the history of the club and the type of characters made this club. Humility is important, get your head down and work like you have never worked before... that doesn't mean running around, or being daft. I see so many kissing the badge, and it means nothing for many.

Clubc like Brentford, Brighton, look at Villa, Newcastle.. they seem to have a better team, club ethic.. an identity, a balance, it reflects on and off the pitch. Even West Ham in a way.. but I appreciate the expectations and pressures at these clubs are far, far different.

We still seem to be seeking this balance. Chelsea are in a similar position. ETH is trying, I grant him that, but he needs to be more astute and streetwise wth his signings and how he wants us to play. This is not Eredivisie. Mourinho, LVG.. big managers have come in with ego, and great records and have found Man Utd quite tough.

Top four will be a great achievment with this squad, and maybe the best thing is to now admit that we are still way off challenging for the title and CL, and let the players, and us fans, just relax and enjoy the games. I just don't think we have the attacking talent to worry teams.
Tbh, it was pure delusion to even think we'd challenge for those. It won't happen in the next 5-10 years, specially if the Glazers are still here

adkb

This was good game. Arsenal are a great team and they would even put a team like City on the backfoot. But the difference being city have players who will be smart in 50-50 situations and kill the game.

Our entire game depends on how Casemiro and Bruno play. The both have a bad game and we lose the plot. They have a good game, we win comfortably.

Rashford is going to need till November to get back to his usual self. I have no idea what his problem is. Martial will be starting Fa Cup games and Carling cup games. United will be top 4 this year, nothing more.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I was wondering if I should create a thread on this, but I'll just post here instead.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on with our complete lack of mental fortitude and composure? So far this season we've seen:
- Complete failure to show up for the first game of the season, which was at home against a weak side.
- Going two goals down against relegation fodder within 5 minutes (also at home).
- Inability to calmy close out that same game after Forest went down to ten men.
- Conceding just one minute after getting the opening goal vs. Arsenal.
- Conceding shortly after having our own goal disallowed vs. Arsenal.

Add this to the general problem on away form that has persisted for more than a season now. The side is not particularly young or inexperienced overall. Do we just have weak characters? Is it the coaching? Or just a general lack of quality?
I think it's a combination of attitudes and manager. Been saying this a while, the way we start games frustrates me so much, its as if the players are stunned that an opposition is motivated to play against us and come out and instantly we are on the back foot or a goal down.

I like ETH, but he has to take some blame as well. Even with the obvious weak characters we have who let's not forget there are still some there pundits often said would get a manager sacked, he should still be getting more from them.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That was a horrible way to end the game with Garnacho's goal disallowed and then Rice's goal quickly afterwards and that'll shade a lot of people's thinking.

But you looked very solid up until that point, Rashford's goal was glorious, but the biggest positive for me was Hojlund's debut.

He brings something you've been missing for ages. He caused Gabriel, one of the best contact defenders in the league, huge problems and outmuscled him on a couple of occassions. He looks stong and raw and will scare most defences if he can keep up that intensity for the season.

I thought he was excellent and can transform your attacking options.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That was a horrible way to end the game with Garnacho's goal disallowed and then Rice's goal quickly afterwards and that'll shade a lot of people's thinking.

But you looked very solid up until that point, Rashford's goal was glorious, but the biggest positive for me was Hojlund's debut.

He brings something you've been missing for ages. He caused Gabriel, one of the best contact defenders in the league, huge problems and outmuscled him on a couple of occassions. He looks stong and raw and will scare most defences if he can keep up that intensity for the season.

I thought he was excellent and can transform your attacking options.
Hojlund... Isnt amazing. He's doing the bare minimum of getting the basic right.

If only our front 4 does a little bit of running we'd be a different team.

Let's face it. Hojlund hasnt doing anything extra ordinary last nite. Just stuff striker does every match

moodyred

I truly believe that if Martinez and Lindelof were still on the field, we would not have lost the game.

I see alot of improvement in attack when Ramus and Garnacho came on. Hence I am really excited about our future. Just STOP playing Martial!

Acquire Me

Depressing stuff...
Listen, Arsenal have been drilling and drilling for years. Arteta and Arsenal was a laughing stock here and other fan bases. Even own fans wanted Arteta gone.

Now they are one of the serious good teams around. It takes time.

I think ten Hag have come along way already. Keep calm and you can see that we are going in the right direction.

And for the game yesterday, we deserved to get at least on point.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd