PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sun, 30 April 2023

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's a really good win against a very good side.

They've not lost in ages, so for us to beat them is a big tick for us.

Teja

Yes the levels dropped again in the second half, which is worrying, but apart from Lindelöf’s goal-line clearance we controlled it in a decent manner. They didn’t really create anything.
They beat the press really easily several times and the game was really stretched.

Did not result in shots on goal because we got back somehow but do that against Pool / City / Arsenal and we'd be looking at 2 goals atleast.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Happy with the result and performance, could’ve been more goals but that’s a common theme.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Important win but we play some awful stuff. Staggering over the end of season finish line.

hobbers

What did you think of rashford then? Absolutely diabolical I take it ?
Yeah he was terrible. Wasted everything that went to him.

Very fortunate his awful tame shot was parried away, huge mistake from Martinez.

Witchking

Amazing, just happy with the win. I was scared that we would lose this one and then Brighton next. Good job united. Please just get to 73 points. :devil:

JonnyIreland

Villa are obviously a tricky team to beat at the moment, solid all-round team performance today. Lindelof and Shaw stood out for me.

Superunknown

A good, solid win. Could have made a mess of it and drawn it, but we did enough for the win. Could and should have got more, but happy we just got this one out of the way.

always_hoping

Nervy 2nd half (to be expected) but absolutely delighted with that Hard earned and deserved win against a Villa side unbeaten in 10 games (8 wins 2 draws) they had kept 7 clean sheets in that run and today was the first time Villa haven't scored under Emery.

Defence was brilliant and Casemiro more like himself today. Another Tough one away to Brighton next

Conor

Happy with the result, would absolutely love to see us just stamp out a game from a winning position though.

SirScholes

A bad day for Eriksen to forget how to pass the ball
He’s normally the guy I want in those “killer pass, make the right choice” moments

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I thought Rashford was already losing his balance and therefore went down too easily for a PK.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
For me that was an excellent performance.

Never really in doubt, should have scored more and dominated the game as a whole.

But of course this is the Caf, so am waiting for the obligatory 'we are crap', 'EtH out' and various other posts along the same line.

Just fecking enjoy a win please.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We’ll be spanked by Brighton if we continue to turn up for only one half of each game.

Glad for the win but we made hard work of it yet again. When will we ever learn?!

Siorac

Maguire is the answer to a question absolutely no one is asking.

"Bring Maguire on to see out the game", and yet it's the very act of bringing Maguire on that usually causes the instability in the first place with which leads to us not seeing out certain games.
As shit as he is, Maguire had basically nothing to do with this game. He was on the pitch for what, eight, nine minutes in total? And we ceded control long before he came on.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
They beat the press really easily several times and the game was really stretched.

Did not result in shots on goal because we got back somehow but do that against Pool / City / Arsenal and we'd be looking at 2 goals atleast.
And at times we pinned them back with very good counter pressing after losing the ball.

moodyred

We were solid for 70 min....until the subs come on. Then it got all disjointed and nervy.

Fred, Martial, Maguire......they threaten to undo everything. I really don't understand ETH.

cyberman

We’ll be spanked by Brighton if we continue to turn up for only one half of each game.

Glad for the win but we made hard work of it yet again. When will we ever learn?!
Villa is one of the best teams in the league for a while now, scored in every game and you’re complaining it was a close game?
Just a few days ago Ten Hag was telling us how tiring this week has been.
It’s a great win

Cantona in disguise

Its not something we don't know but united are desperate for a proper number 9. Also need to cut out those silly fouls with 5 minutes to go. Just keep the ball. Slow the game down. United create their own chaos.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Our final pass selection is shocking, could have had 4 or 5, Villa were begging us to score
Yeah terrible chemistry. Rashford and Eriksen the main guilty parties today. Thought Sancho did well and the defense/casemiro was solid

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We were solid for 70 min....until the subs come on. Then it got all disjointed and nervy.

Fred, Martial, Maguire......they threaten to undo everything. I really don't understand ETH.
We can't play the same players for 90 minutes, every game, otherwise we risk using the players you mentioned for 90 minutes instead of 20.
At least ETH tries his best with what he has at his disposal, rather than Mourinho for example, who used defenders in midfield or midfielders in defense just to show how helpless he was and how of a difficult job he had.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Great win and a solid performance. We desperately need a better midfielder than Eriksen though, he looks sluggish.
He can’t be relied upon to defend or hold possession in the latter parts of games. I think he’ll work better for us as an impact sub next season if we get a solid creative type midfielder in

Crimson King

Quite an easy win, in all honesty. They didn't really have many chances.

We did mess up quite a few chances to create chances, though. Need to improve on that.
I think it's a good sign we should have scored more against one of the best defences in the league over recent week, if not a bit frustrating.

It's like EtH has been saying, we desperately need a striker (or 2) to put chances away, because we've been regularly creating them for most of the season.

MonkeysMagic

Good to get 3 points but my god we are horrific in front of goal! Not sure if Rashford is fit or not but once he stopped scoring I knew we would be in trouble as we get so little goal output from anyone else!

eire-red

Beating Brighton in the FA Cup semis and Villa at home following the disappointment in midweek vs Spurs is a good week, and you still have to commend the job EtH has done.

Especially when you consider the key players we are missing and how that impacts our overall game, having to reshuffle Shaw and play others ar full-back etc.

Top 4 looking pretty secure.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Great 3 points

Siorac

This team is addicted to making stupid fecking fouls.
When Sabitzer barged into the back of a defender in their area completely needlessly, giving them a free kick and time to regroup after a period of United pressure... I almost screamed. If he had just left him alone, it wouldn't have been easy to get the ball out...

edgecutter

Spurs holding pool to a draw would be the icing on the cake today.

Good performance today, still lacking some key elements if we are to move forward. We need better options upfront

Abraxas

Solid overall. We deserved the win over a decent side.

I'm still not completely happy with how we see out tight games. It's not very convincing.

nemanjaa

Antony moving the ball on to his weaker foot instead of shooting directly just pissed me off there..

But a win is a win, lets just grind out a result against Brighton on Thursday and a win vs West-Ham and we shoooould be good.

moodyred

I might be alone but thought that was a clear penalty on Rashford

Big win ahead of two difficult always
You are kidding me right? Our players can get their legs hacked off and we will still not get a penalty nor will any opposition players get a red.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Villa is one of the best teams in the league for a while now, scored in every game and you’re complaining it was a close game?
Just a few days ago Ten Hag was telling us how tiring this week has been.
It’s a great win
Great result but we had chances to increase our lead on multiple occasions and I felt the nail-biting finish at the end was avoidable. It could on any other day have ended up as a draw. But a win is a win I suppose. Onto the next one

Man of the Match

Victor Lindelof image Victor Lindelof 71% of 249 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw