CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 3:2 Atalanta

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 October 2021

Josep Dowling

Nice comeback in the end but merely papers over the cracks. I’ll take the win for this evening though and hope we don’t get embarrassed against Liverpool.

Carolina Red

Staff
Who cares? If he's not good enough, he'll eventually get sacked. Until then, don't lose sight of the fact that watching United play is (probably) what got you into football.

Enjoy the game for what it is - entertainment - and not just a neverending and negative narrative being rudely interrupted by matches.

It's not healthy.
Well said.

Shimo

Postgame in the US:

Schmeichel: doesn't trust us to defend set pieces
Carragher they even brought in a set piece coach
Schmeichel: "Really?"
Carragher: Yes, at the start of the season.
Schmeichel: Was kidding, I know but, I can't tell.

It's astounding as to how unorganized we are defending corners and at being actually dangerous on attacking them.

Overall think we were decent in the first half but, story of this team right now, individual mistakes and teams know they can get to us regardless of how much talent we have on the top end of the field. There isn't enough work being done as a unit to win the ball and move the ball from front to back. That changed in the second half and that is when Atalanta got scared and that fear lead to fatigue settling in which allowed for us to turn the game around.

Need to play from the off as a team more, press and advance the ball together rather than the huge gap that is often between the front men and rest, especially when Bruno/Ronaldo are on the pitch together.

VivaRonaldo85

A good second half. But we need to be careful and think about the bigger picture here. I think that’s what Scholesey was trying to say diplomatically.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Great entertainment!
Great drama.Great passion and effort .
Far, far from perfect but then perfect is unattainable.
I predicted a 3-2 win by the way.
The atmosphere seemed to be rocking, well done to the fans.
Now let’s start Sunday like we started the 2nd half.

RopersReturn

Pleased that Maguire finally got a vital goal tonight, but I still think there are underlying weaknesses in his game, particularly his leadership qualities when we’re up against it. He seems to make poor decisions and looks as though he lacks confidence. I’d prefer Ronaldo to take over as captain. He’s passionate and comes across as a natural leader who the squad look up to.

MyBloodIsRed

Pretty amazing. At half time was so upset. Only for us to turn it around in the second half. I honestly think this team with Ronaldo and Sancho are still figuring each other out to some extent. Add in there Varane and we have inconsistency. None of them were with us for any sort of preseason to gel

If we can snatch as many results as we can while we’re figuring this out we just might well turn the season around. It all hinges on how quickly we can figure out how to play together properly. Wouldn’t hurt if we bought a fantastic DM in January either

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Still think we need a new manager
So do I. But there’s a great bunch of players here. Fred did well. McT. Matic. Let’s see what happens at the weekend. Was a great match. Should have been 5 - 3 to United. Fair play to Atlanta - they had a go.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Fantastic spirit and balls to the wall going for it. Loved that second half and also impressed with Ronnie chasing back to his own corner flag. Real fight in this team.

abailey123

Just got back from the game.

Created quite a few decent chances in the first half despite going down 2 nil, coaching seems to be ok there?

Second half though we were a different team in terms of intensity, half time talk clearly worked. Another fantastic night in the champions league at home. Clean sheet would have been nice but can’t beat a come from behind win can ya.
just back myself and agree with everything here.

it was like watching 2 different teams. First have we tried to contain and it didn’t work, we were pushed back and just didn’t win the ball high enough.

2nd half was outstanding intensity wise. Pressing in numbers, winning the ball higher, defending from the front.

That 2nd half hopefully will be a turning point in our season

mancan92

Just came from the match was in the Stretford end. Atmosphere was electric from minute one. Even 2-0 down we didn't let up the singing. Pogba really made a huge impact when he came on amazing player. Ronaldo also is the only proper direct player we have seemed like every one wanted an extra pass whereas Ronaldo was just going for it constantly. Bruno was completely off but made an impact in the end. Anyway just wanted to say my first time in the Stretford end and wow the atmosphere was incredible.

mancan92

Just to end though. Either Ole needs to go or he needs to completely change how we play because doesn't matter who plays in midfield we look a complete joke. Doesn't matter if its McFred or pogba or Matic. It's all horrible.

Foxbatt

It was a good win and we must keep this up. The tempo was high and Atlanta could not keep it up. Our defending has been a shambles for a long time now.
Ole must play Ronaldo and Cavani together against Liverpool. Instead of Sancho, play Rashford. Van Dijk cannot handle both Ronaldo and Cavani. But get the ball in the right places for them to be effective.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Fantastic comeback, and a great game overall. You knew we could do it if we got a break. I posted this at half time
We’re such a confidence side. If we’re 2-0 up both those chances go in. If we get one back I think we’ll do them 3-2. Such a weird team.
It was clear as day that we just needed a spark to get going. As soon as our first goal went in it was like watching another team entirely.

Okey

Phew! We got a proper Old Trafford night eh? Must have cleared a whole forest to make the amount of paper we splashed over the cracks tonight. I'll take the exciting win, mind, even if we do same again on Sunday. But it's not sustainable. We need to play proper football, with a structure and control. It's all too frantic. Liverpool will expose us again on Sunday. That's a given, even if the result isn't. Since the obvious coaching change that's needed isn't about to happen, I'll enjoy the ride till the wheels come off. Viva United!

The Irish Connection

Pretty amazing. At half time was so upset. Only for us to turn it around in the second half. I honestly think this team with Ronaldo and Sancho are still figuring each other out to some extent. Add in there Varane and we have inconsistency. None of them were with us for any sort of preseason to gel

If we can snatch as many results as we can while we’re figuring this out we just might well turn the season around. It all hinges on how quickly we can figure out how to play together properly. Wouldn’t hurt if we bought a fantastic DM in January either
Fair point. I hope it turns out that way but I think a loss on Sunday and we might be out of the title race.

Carolina Red

Staff
Just came from the match was in the Stretford end. Atmosphere was electric from minute one. Even 2-0 down we didn't let up the singing. Pogba really made a huge impact when he came on amazing player. Ronaldo also is the only proper direct player we have seemed like every one wanted an extra pass whereas Ronaldo was just going for it constantly. Bruno was completely off but made an impact in the end. Anyway just wanted to say my first time in the Stretford end and wow the atmosphere was incredible.
Very nice!

redshaw

Bruno made an impact all game with so many key passes, he may have set a record. Yes he played some poor balls as well but you need to see some of the creativity in all the assists and key setups. Ronaldo was put through but missed with a brilliant through ball. He put in Rashford incredibly for our first goal. "Completely off and came good in the end" is a bit much.

justboy68

The CL kicks off in the middle of the night here, so I've missed the epic comebacks live. Thank God we got this result. We need to stay in the CL this year.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I watched it with my 9 year old nephew. Poor little guy has only been following Utd the last few years and to be fair there hasn’t been much glory but at half time we were both saying if we get the next goal we will win it. There was no way we were going to lose if we scored next. After that it was more a fear we’d get picked off for the draw. Class to spend an evening watching a match he’ll remember like that :)

Last edited:

cyberman

Just saw the highlights and Bruno has 2 assists in a game he was getting pelters in! Most assists in CL so far this season as well. His record in CL for us is ridiculous, it’s 9 goals and assists in 9 games.

The United

I didn't think our first half was that bad. The way we conceded was obviously pretty shite and it has been a pattern this season.

Attacking wise, we were good. We were just wasteful.

Djemba-Djemba

We're in absolute crisis mode now with the defence.

12 games without a clean sheet at home, 1 clean sheet in 20 games, 6 goals conceded in the last 2 games. Horrendous.

Ole doesn't know how to set the team up defensively, we look absolutely all over the place every game. Hugely worrying.

The comeback was brilliant and the players showed great heart to fight back, but if the defence doesn't improve we're fecked.

dpansheth

Scholes summed up my feelings, ultimately we are just papering over the cracks due to the amount of good individuals we have, we'll never win anything that matters while Ole is in charge.
yeah what was bothering me was not just two goals today but Vardy’s goal over the weekend right after we scored. They kicked off and within seconds without losing possession they were able to score. That’s THE problem

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Just loved that Ronaldo header. It's great Rashford is back, he is a game changer. A win against Liverpool and the team is back on track.

oz insomniac

Until we can find a replacement for McTominlay expect the debacle in midfield To continue.Just doesn’t seem to have a position he actually fulfills, not energetic like the maligned Fred, and as for his defence at corners, makes Lindelof look good.

Pogba remains an enigma, if he would adopt a higher work rate , he has the skills to dominate centre mid, unfortunately it doesn’t appear close to happening.

what we saw tonight was a good result, a middling performance and a help wanted poster to go up for DM, and do we really have a set piece coach? - WTF.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
I disagree with all those quoting the paper over the cracks comments from Scholesy. They made about 3 good chances in the game and another two times pushed around the box but always someone in the way to stop it being threatening but scored twice.

First goal was a well worked one from them. A few players could have done better, Lindelof knowing to watch for getting caught outside, McTominay not letting the man ahead of him, but wasn't a huge failure. But those were not glaring stupid errors or us getting caught out completely due to midfield failures/defensive feckups.

Second goal Shaw marking him who tried but it was the exact height to get above Shaw but still low enough for him to get a clean header, while he had just blatantly shoved McTominay who at his height and ahead of him would have been his biggest obstacle to the ball gettting to him, you could see Ole making the shove gesture when they went to him after that goal, he clearly saw it too. We failed on the set piece but not in the structural way. Maguire had a free role to challenge, he challenged. Shaw was ahead of the player but just too short. McTominay had been shoved. Three players who did pretty much the right thing but it didn't work out for us anyway.

I won't claim that we were perfect in the game but they had players who passed it pretty well in the game but mostly didnt have much threat anyway. XG for the game was 3.12 to 1.72, and I think that was generous to them, so we deserved to win.

SirMattlives

Said to colleague at half-time that we should be 3-2 up given the sitters we missed so felt strangely confident in the second half though once we were in the lead I was dreading them getting corners or generally pressing. No idea why we are so frail at the back…sometimes the worst teams can at least defend but we seem so porous. Is it that we’re trying something new and it’s not gelled? Between the Leicester game and this one, my heart is not up to the strain. But enough of that…..the Maguire finish…who’d have thought! I want us to give that lot on Sunday a reminder of what we’re capable of — and on that note, isn’t a Cavani-Ronaldo attack something to behold.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 319 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Atalanta
  • 11% Man Utd 1:1 Atalanta