CL D Champions League Group F

Atalanta 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 November 2021

matsdf

Why were we celebrating a draw at the full time whistle? Also why is Ole comparing Ronaldo’s equaliser to Jordan’s winning moments when we did not win anything?
Because we went from 3rd to 1st in our CL group. For all you miserable fecks wanting us to lose, I can understand that that's hard to fathom.

Reactions: Penna

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why were we celebrating a draw at the full time whistle? Also why is Ole comparing Ronaldo’s equaliser to Jordan’s winning moments when we did not win anything?
In fact why did we even bother celebrating the goal at all?
Why celebrate any goal that hasn't secured a trophy?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Because we went from 3rd to 1st in our CL group. For all you miserable fecks wanting us to lose, I can understand that that's hard to fathom.
Yes, let’s celebrate being in first place in the group before we actually qualify for the next round knowing that there is a high chance we drop more points in our last 2 games. Definitely something to celebrate about so early. Falling standards are now acceptable because of posts like this.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes, let’s celebrate being in first place in the group before we actually qualify for the next round knowing that there is a high chance we drop more points in our last 2 games. Definitely something to celebrate about so early. Falling standards are now acceptable because of posts like this.
:lol:

Ixion

Bailly's performance just shows you need to trust the squad and not overplay the same 8-9 players every game. Maguire shipped how many goals coming back from injury too soon? It isn't possible Bailly could have done worse.

Dan_F

Oh, here's another up yours genius here to tell us we're not real fans. Please proceed, I'm sure it'll be something original
I haven’t said anything like that. United fans have always had an “us vs them” mentality, which is reflected in the songs. Usually it comes from outside the club not within its own fan base, but that’s the situation we’re in.

I read stuff on Twitter from “United fans” saying they were glad the away fans got attacked before the game last night because they support Ole and deserve. I’m telling you that this kind of thing might push United fans to support the team and manager more than they might get otherwise. They don’t want to be associated with that.

buchansleftleg

I've finally realised what must be influencing Ole's team selection after last night's performance.

In training, at the end of each session, Donny waits for Ole to take off his football boots and then DVB flops out his manhood and does a "no hands" wee into the managers boots as the whole squad watch on.

It's a strong, heavy flow. Like a cart horse first thing in the morning and its a deep, yellow stinking rope of fluid that neatly fills each insole to the brim.

I've no evidence of this, but it's the only reason I can think of why he doesn't get any time on the field ahead of absolute frauds like Pogba.

Our spine is our weakness and is relentlessly targetted by opposition players.

DeGea...rooted to his line, he never comes for lofted balls and crosses.

Maguire...totally useless against pace with the turning circle of the Titanic while still attached to the iceberg.

Fred...over elaborates and gives the ball away in critical areas when pressed.

Pogba...show pony who can't be bothered and gives away the ball or gives silly fouls from over elaboration.

I can only think these players are first in line with the kitchen roll and cat litter for Ole's boots... as I can't believe they deserve their place in the side for footballing reasons.

largelyworried

I'm confused, are we crashing out of the group stage?
This is the problem with daft ultimatums like that. We had another terrible performance last night, but the draw puts us close to going through. Any assessment of Ole should be on how well we play, not whether we scrape a result to reach some bare minimum level.

Laurencio

I haven’t said anything like that. United fans have always had an “us vs them” mentality, which is reflected in the songs. Usually it comes from outside the club not within its own fan base, but that’s the situation we’re in.

I read stuff on Twitter from “United fans” saying they were glad the away fans got attacked before the game last night because they support Ole and deserve. I’m telling you that this kind of thing might push United fans to support the team and manager more than they might get otherwise. They don’t want to be associated with that.
That's disgusting...what the hell is wrong with people.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I've finally realised what must be influencing Ole's team selection after last night's performance.

In training, at the end of each session, Donny waits for Ole to take off his football boots and then DVB flops out his manhood and does a "no hands" wee into the managers boots as the whole squad watch on.

It's a strong, heavy flow. Like a cart horse first thing in the morning and its a deep, yellow stinking rope of fluid that neatly fills each insole to the brim.

I've no evidence of this, but it's the only reason I can think of why he doesn't get any time on the field ahead of absolute frauds like Pogba.

Our spine is our weakness and is relentlessly targetted by opposition players.

DeGea...rooted to his line, he never comes for lofted balls and crosses.

Maguire...totally useless against pace with the turning circle of the Titanic while still attached to the iceberg.

Fred...over elaborates and gives the ball away in critical areas when pressed.

Pogba...show pony who can't be bothered and gives away the ball or gives silly fouls from over elaboration.

I can only think these players are first in line with the kitchen roll and cat litter for Ole's boots... as I can't believe they deserve their place in the side for footballing reasons.
You orrite there?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure about goals but we should not be celebrating this draw the way we did. Lots of similarities to that Liverpool celebration that is highly mocked about on this place.
We didn't spend 30mins standing in a line racing up to the fans hand in hand going WOOOOOO .
After equalising at home against Norwich, or whoever it was for them.

Xaviboy

Lucky lucky man ole is. Ronaldo again saving him. Without Ronaldo we would have 0 points in the CL group.

Ole is a brutal manager/coach. I'm sure there our football coaches in our fanbase that could do better job then him and could make us play with a style of football.

Shocking how someone like him has a job in the position he is.

Utd are winning nothing under him. Sooner the better he leaves.

90 + 5min

Why indeed. Maybe because we are Manchester United supporters wanting our team to win? Maybe because we are now in better place sitting on the top of the group?

ElBarto

After such a car crash of a post admins should surely demote this person to Junior Newbie?

We know the clubs a mess but the Goat scored a worldie (lovely technique) in extra time, in an away champions league game that's deservedly or otherwise taken us to the brink of qualification- if we qualify we dont play on Thursday Nights- that's why we celebrated.

Glorio

Hahaha, was actually just gonna say that so many people not realising actually proves some of the nonsense ole in come out with
Is anyone honestly still really Ole In??

And this is coming from a staunch Ole supporter right up to the start of this season (seriously began to falter after the freeze job in the Europa League final though).
I honestly don't believe anyone still feels he's the man to elevate us to success. May be wrong though, but if you read between the lines, it's clear to see even his old team mates don't really believe this anymore.

Glorio

Interesting and alarming how Gasperini easily rendered our attack impotent by identifying and man marking Bruno.

During his time with us, the opposition has always targeted him and tried to limit his influence by having players sitting in the areas he likes to operate, but yesterday was the first time I noticed a dedicated man marker that literally tracked him all over the pitch, and how quickly any semblance of a threat we had disappeared.

Could this be the blueprint opposition managers use going forward? It didn't help that there was not much more in terms of natural creativity on the pitch yesterday, and Paul Pogba happened to be having one of those nightmarish performances.

redmanx

It's a free shot from 15 yards out, through a defender's legs. He doesn't get down in time to save it. I mean, yeah, he probably should have saved it, but this is just silly.

He's been our best player (by some margin) so far this year.
DDG has been outstanding all season, how can people condemn him for this one incident?

justsomebloke

A good result, and two amazing goals. Top entertainment.

But also a confirmation this is still a team mired in the same dysfunctionalities that has plagued the team all season - defensively porous, struggling to move the ball forward effectively and generally unable to generate much offensive pressure. In short - a lot of problems, some big and general, some small and specific, not being solved well.

It's difficult to clearly separate shortcomings in individual execution from shortcomings in preparation, tactics and structure but by now it seems obvious that we have issues on both fronts. Also, that issues that have long been familiar are growing worse rather than better, which to me points to a deterioration in confidence.

What stands out for me after yesterday is how awful Maguire and McTominay were. For Maguire the awfulness is in stark contrast to how he played last season, an even more during the Euros. I didn't think he'd looked poor prior to his injury, so I think there's good hope that what we're seeing there is essentially a temporary drop in form, perhaps tied to his injury and his early return from it, and possibly also tied to post-Euros fatigue. But the question is if it's also affecting his confidence to an extent that leaves him caught in a negative spiral. But McTominay, it just looks clearer and clearer that he's really not up to it. He's a liability in the build-up, not so much because he's a bad passer as because he's so bad at placing himself in the right position to receive the ball. And defensively, he's just not capable of reading situations well with any regularity. He battles well but, that's not enough. He offers something coming forward, but not nearly enough to make up for his shortcomings, and in any case that's not his primary function as the sitting midfielder.

Also, another hopeless performance by Pogba, underlining his limitations in a midfield two on this team.

What it means for Ole depends on what you think the situation was after the Liverpool result. For me it's like this: The basic default reading is now that he is not successful in moulding this squad into the team it should and could be, and that it would take a very sustained and major upswing in both results and performances to alter that reading. The logical conclusion from that, barring such an upswing, is that he must be replaced. Whether that happens more or less immediately or at some later point between now and the beginning of next season depends on short-term results and performances, and also on whatever progress is being made in finding a successor. Bottom line for me is that the Tottenham game created a few points in the "not now" column, but this game didn't.

redmanx

Ronaldo is without a doubt the greatest goalscorer i have seen in over 50 years watching football and supporting my beloved Reds.That 2nd goal wasnt even a half chance.
Bailly was heroic. Shaw much better, AWB much better.
Pogba was a disgrace, I never want to see him in our colours again.
Well done Donny van de Beek.
Three injury timewinners in 3 Cl games by Ronaldo? Incredible!
Pogba is a disgrace to the shirt and has been ever since his return. His really good performances can be counted on the fingers of your hands while performances like this, sloppy, lazy, disrespectful, uncraring, have been the norm; like you say should never play for us again.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We would have lost last night if Eric Bailly hadn't played. He only played because Ole had no choice but to pick him.

justsomebloke

We would have lost last night if Eric Bailly hadn't played. He only played because Ole had no choice but to pick him.
He did have a choice - he could have used Shaw in the back line and played Telles or Dalot on LWB. In effect, he picked Bailly over Telles.

steffyr2

Interesting and alarming how Gasperini easily rendered our attack impotent by identifying and man marking Bruno.

During his time with us, the opposition has always targeted him and tried to limit his influence by having players sitting in the areas he likes to operate, but yesterday was the first time I noticed a dedicated man marker that literally tracked him all over the pitch, and how quickly any semblance of a threat we had disappeared.

Could this be the blueprint opposition managers use going forward? It didn't help that there was not much more in terms of natural creativity on the pitch yesterday, and Paul Pogba happened to be having one of those nightmarish performances.
Great post! Could you start a thread on this? ie, "what the other team is doing". Seems like the would be an interesting topic to add to the endless "XXX is awful" threads.

It also seemed like Ronaldo had time and space on the ball, but all the other players had someone in their face instantly. I couldn't decide if that was because Ronaldo's Ronaldo or the way the defense was playing.

the_cliff

Great post! Could you start a thread on this? ie, "what the other team is doing". Seems like the would be an interesting topic to add to the endless "XXX is awful" threads.

It also seemed like Ronaldo had time and space on the ball, but all the other players had someone in their face instantly. I couldn't decide if that was because Ronaldo's Ronaldo or the way the defense was playing.
I commented in the match thread, their pressing especially in the last 30 minutes was relentless, they targeted Mctominay a lot and won a lot of balls back because of his bad touches. Ronaldo dropped deep and was allowed to have the ball away from goal, I assume it was done so a CB wasn't following him which would leave space for a run in behind by another of our attackers, Bruno especially is good at that, similar to how the first goal was scored, Ronaldo dropped deep with a quick pass to Greenwood, Bruno then exploited the space left by Ronaldo to make the run in behind. My worry is how effective it was in taking Bruno out of the game and how we looked toothless because of it. I know we drew 2-2 in the end but if it wasn't for a Ronaldo worldie we would've lost that game. Atalanta looked very comfortable in that second half and we looked completely toothless. If other mid table EPL teams use that performance as a template we could have even more problems against them.

The Purley King

DDG has been outstanding all season, how can people condemn him for this one incident?
He was at massive fault for the 2nd goal as well. Any other keeper is cutting out that through ball, but because he gets a nosebleed any time he moves out of his 6 yard box he didn't.
There have been numerous times this season when the opposition play a ball down the wings, the camera follows the ball and the opposition player chasing it and I think "Keepers ball, he'll come into shot in a mo and kick it into touch" ...."Keeper?", .....De Gea still not in the frame and the opposition have possession on the edge of our box.
Its much more harmful than perhaps people realise when your goalie doesn't sweep anything at all.

theklr

Losing first Lindeløf and then Varane is somewhat of an excuse for Ole, least when Maguire is so bad. For all the Bailly praise he didnt do particular well on the goals either.

Still alarmingly bad build up play and non-existant system. Only positive from this game is the scoreline (kinda), and the fact he finallly subbed on Donny and Sancho. Hopefully he saw what impact they had.

steffyr2

I commented in the match thread, their pressing especially in the last 30 minutes was relentless, they targeted Mctominay a lot and won a lot of balls back because of his bad touches. Ronaldo dropped deep and was allowed to have the ball away from goal, I assume it was done so a CB wasn't following him which would leave space for a run in behind by another of our attackers, Bruno especially is good at that, similar to how the first goal was scored, Ronaldo dropped deep with a quick pass to Greenwood, Bruno then exploited the space left by Ronaldo to make the run in behind. My worry is how effective it was in taking Bruno out of the game and how we looked toothless because of it. I know we drew 2-2 in the end but if it wasn't for a Ronaldo worldie we would've lost that game. Atalanta looked very comfortable in that second half and we looked completely toothless. If other mid table EPL teams use that performance as a template we could have even more problems against them.
The "looking toothless" thing is definitely a worry. Why don't the players pass and move? People keep saying that if Cavani and Ronaldo can do it (they're old), then the younger players can do it. But the younger players don't do it.
Atalanta made a bee line for McGuire as soon as they got the ball, it was scary to watch.

hurricane thunderclap

Super happy we are top of the group. It was another messy win. They got the result (kind of) but Donny and Sancho shoved on for the last couple of minutes, maybe changes like that need to happen sooner?

devips

Atalanta is a very toughl team to beat, particularly in their own ground. CL matches in the previous couple of years against teams like PSG would testify to this.

So it feels good about the result we had yesterday and the group standing we have now.

the_cliff

The "looking toothless" thing is definitely a worry. Why don't the players pass and move? People keep saying that if Cavani and Ronaldo can do it (they're old), then the younger players can do it. But the younger players don't do it.
Atalanta made a bee line for McGuire as soon as they got the ball, it was scary to watch.
Although it's been mentioned probably a million times before but it seems like a coaching issue. DVB and Sancho are the best at it (passing and moving) out of our younger players and it's no coincidence that they have experience playing for big clubs with excellent coaching before joining us. Meanwhile our youngsters don't seem to do it as much or as effectively.

I just think we're far too easy to set up against and defend against. When we have the ball it takes an eternity to build up the play and move the ball up and once we do get the ball to around the opposition box nobody is making runs behind the defensive wall to try and open up space. Our right winger is deep receiving the ball from the right back and our left winger is deep receiving the ball from our left back. Then we have Bruno, Ronaldo, Pogba deep playing around the middle in front of the defenders. It's a shame because we do have the talent to pass and move, to free up space (the first goal is the perfect example of that) but we don't do that as often as we should be doing.

If you watch City or Liverpool and the movement of their attackers, it's like they're not playing the same sport compared to what we do.

Maticmaker

Bailly's performance just shows you need to trust the squad and not overplay the same 8-9 players every game. Maguire shipped how many goals coming back from injury too soon? It isn't possible Bailly could have done worse.
This is an important point (well made) that gets overlooked when people are trying to analyse what is wrong with the squad. Ultimately its not good for the overall fitness of players who are 'rushed' back, and not good for the confidence of those who should be given a legitimate chance to show what they can do.

Not sure how such decisions are made and once again you get the impression there may be 'too many cooks' involved. Leaving aside Ole and the individuals concerned, who else puts in their two-pennyworth? Presumably; 'Ole's 3 management team helpers' the individual (positional as well as general play) coaches, physio's, doctors, sports scientists, and the guy who cleans the dressing rooms!!!

Obviously its Ole's final decision, but you cant help wondering that the sometimes vacant look on his face reflects the amount of 'advice' he gets!!!:rolleyes:

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 69% of 391 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw