CL D Champions League Group F

Atalanta 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 November 2021

MileStolar

Ole's sub was again impeccable although most won't acknowledge it. Pogba was having a nightmare, McTominay on a yellow - logical move is to get Fred in to spare McT since he can do the job, or maybe Matic to have a proper CDM. But he decided otherwise and sent out Matic for Pogba instead, risking McT but at the same time steadying midfield passes. Matic did a lot of tempo control passing.
Then Lingard was actually warming up, Sancho and VdB wasn't even warmed up and were on the bench and suddenly they're out there on the pitch, and making instant impact. With Bruno taken out De Roon was lost on who to mark for a few minutes, enough for us to make out small openings forward. It's the gap in concentration in the last minutes of the usually tactically disciplined Atlanta that Ole exploited with his last two subs.
Any other sub than those exact 4 would have not given us any chance near their goal. That was some very sharp instinct on who to sub on, when and why. It's Ole's trademark at this point.
Some good points and insight, but he dithered with the subs again, he should've made them 10 minutes earlier than he did.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Worst in the league :lol:

I thought the Top Reds were bad but fecking hell.
Who’s better then? You might say Farke (I don’t think so, actually) but if that’s true then so what?

FerociousCorgis

So 3 game stretch to supposedly decide his future and 1 win in 3 is enough apparently? Apparently that is how far our standards have fallen

bonothom

I will smoke whatever you smoking.

Utter garbage, except for 2 moments of brilliance at end of each half. So many individual mistakes!! Pogba and Maguire were championship-level out there.
Spot on. United were shite. Ronaldo is dragging this team through the group alone.

Charlie Foley

Who’s better then? You might say Farke (I don’t think so, actually) but if that’s true then so what?
Shouldn’t you be asking who’s worse? Since your original statement was that everyone was better?

suhaylah

Ronaldo saving Ole's ass once more..

After the City game, hopefully he'll be gone. He can take his love child McGuire and Fred with him

HailtotheKing

So 3 game stretch to supposedly decide his future and 1 win in 3 is enough apparently? Apparently that is how far our standards have fallen
And that one win is against a team so bad that they fired their manager after we beat them. We are a rudderless ship with Ole at the wheel. Totally dependent on individual moments and luck. And luckily for Ole he had that in spades. I feel like he signed a pact with the Devil such is his luck. Which is never a bad thing for a manager to be, it’s just a pity it only shows up when he absolutely needs it to.

FerociousCorgis

We are top of our group ffs
Such a powerhouse group. Ronaldo won't be able to do shit once we play the actual teams, If we can even make it out. Literally one loss away from dropping to 3rd. This type of reasoning would've resulted in chelsea not winning ucl and still being stuck with their Ole in lampard

Kopral Jono

Why were we celebrating a draw at the full time whistle? Also why is Ole comparing Ronaldo’s equaliser to Jordan’s winning moments when we did not win anything?
It's emotional blackmail. Standards have dropped massively and we're being gaslit into thinking that everything is fine. Rest assured I take no pleasure in saying this but I hate the club for making me dislike Ole -- we're being fecked in the head.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Where are the cultists who were saying that Ronaldo is hampering our "sthyle of phlay"? Hiding in a deep cave, I guess.

owlo

Said when it looked like city were about to sign Ronaldo, that I wouldn't be too bothered and he was probably done at absolute top level. Looks like I was wrong, and watching him do this for them would be a disaster.

Other than that, what a mess. We should turf OGS out and strip Maguire of the captaincy asap. Two clowns stealing a living.

cyril C

Why were we celebrating a draw at the full time whistle? Also why is Ole comparing Ronaldo’s equaliser to Jordan’s winning moments when we did not win anything?
I bet we will be celebrating a draw against City as well. A draw is always better than loss, against a good side.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Because we are motley bunch of farmers who just made it from Sunday League to the Champions league and every point is a freaking miracle for us and a testimony of our pashunate pashun.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because that is our manager's level.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We've become a team that thrives on a "hit and hope" mentality - feeding off good fortune and individual skill. It is painful to watch so much talent being wasted by a man (a legendary player no doubt) who is better suited to being United's PR director than manager.

Siezard

Great comeback from 3rd place to 1st place.

Not counting Messi, CR7 is certainly the GOAT above all others.

Polar

Hang on.
So you are trying to say that Ronaldo consistently scoring in the final minutes of some of the games is not individual brilliance?

We rely on buying Galactico class players
You pinpoint exactly what I meant :lol:

Ronaldo’s goals are off course individual brilliance, but the first goal also is an example of true team play and United style of Play.

Acoring in the first or last minute of the game doesn’t matter. It’s only about your perception.

The same argument “rely on individual brilliance” was also used before Ronaldo arrived.

Barcelona relied on Messi, Dortmund on Haaland, Tottenham used to rely on Kane. Many on this forum excused Liverpool’s almost catastrophic season with the injury of VVD, so I think the United critique “rely on individual brilliance” is very difficult to understand. Individual brilliance It’s certainly not a problem.To me it seems like the phrase is used because someone lack words or find it hard to describe what they really mean.

Is the problem lack of style/pattern? No in my opinion. I think it’s more about someone eventually doesn’t like our style of play. I recognise the football United want to play. The problem is that we don’t manage to implement it fully. Mostly because we struggle with the team balance and our midfield (Ole’s responsibility).

Just to say it….Neither me was happy with our performance yesterday and most of this season (the match against Tottenham was perfect. The match against City is win/draw or Ole have to leave his post.

Last edited:

fps

Pogba hasn’t had even a handful of great 90 minute performances at United, I can’t wait to see who is coming in with the money saved from his wages next summer.

Rashford, now fully fit, will confirm whether he’s a first teamer or a squad player this year. I suspect the latter.

Greenwood is such a beautiful mover he has talent to burn, so exciting.

Donny looked good with a simple remit that we needed a goal.

Ronaldo is incomparable.

But that wouldn’t have mattered if Bailly hadn’t played like prime Maldini crossed with Stretch Armstrong.

Daengophile

The Guardian:

"Even the fans still seem to be on board for the time being, recognising – correctly – that the virtues of a watertight five-year plan and a coherent backroom infrastructure must occasionally take a back seat to the haptic thrill of watching your clump of highly paid frauds pull off yet another sensational comeback."

That just about sums it up.

We have a coaching team that can't coach the midfield or defence and a set of forwards who get on by themselves

Josh 76

Because we scored a last min goal that almost certainly takes us through to the knockout stages of the CL.

Laurencio

Great comeback from 3rd place to 1st place.

Not counting Messi, CR7 is certainly the GOAT above all others.
Mr. Champions League is certainly living up to his moniker. In three games he's arguably the sole reason why we're even in a position to get into the knock out stages this season. He's such an amazing footballer, his finishes are beyond world class, the kind that live on in legend - like Van Basten's goal against Russia or Zidane's volley - only he does it week in and week out. We're extremely fortunate to have him, and if we do end up with silverware this season it will be down to his incredible ability to carry us through even when the team as a whole plays like a bunch of children.

There's a very interesting and exciting partnership developing between him and Bruno that I think will do us the world of good throughout the season. Very few players would have backheeled that ball like Bruno did for Ronaldo. If we can just get the rest of the team to play like actual professional footballers, this season could get very exciting.

But that wouldn’t have mattered if Bailly hadn’t played like prime Maldini crossed with Stretch Armstrong.
True. He was incredible. The way he played, Bailly should be starting every single match.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Awful with a couple of moments, mostly from Ronaldo.
Awful was a good description of the overall performance.
Disjointed and disorganised. But with Ronaldo, you always have a chance.
And for those who are dim enough to say that he is the problem; 9 goals in 11 games.
Some problem eh.

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 69% of 391 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win