CL L Champions League Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 0:1 Atletico Madrid

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 March 2022

SB16

Ref was a bit of a nob, but Atletico are a poor side whose hands teams like City, Chelsea, and Liverpool just wouldn't play into like we did. Complete lack of invention in building attacks, dithering on the ball at the edge of the box, slowing the game down so much that their defence regroups comfortably. This is just not how you beat a wily defensive team like they are.

redom

That was the level of performance I expected, never really built any sustained pressure or consistently tested their backline. Atletico only had to resort to mild levels of twatishness to get over the line and that was probably just because they enjoy doing it so much rather than necessity.

We're just not very good.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At least we don’t have to get knocked out by Liverpool or City now. Atletico will if they face either of them.

Kaos

Terrible ref, subs couldn't be bothered, Madrid can feck off with their shithousery.

Just end the season already and tell half these players they can leave.

48 hours

Utter Cnut of a ref
Defence carved open as usual
Nowhere near enough chances created
Season over

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
shithouse masterclass from them. First half we played excellent. Referee's a cnut. Rashford the last person you want coming on to win a game.
They really are down with the shithousery :rolleyes: Absolutely disgusting. Ended up watching them going down at the slightest touch instead of watching football

Skåre Willoch

The ref is by no means the reason we lost, but what in the actual feck? How can Atletico keep getting away with this shite? Time after fecking time? Unbelievable. 4 minutes of added time :houllier:

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
So the positives:

1. OT crowd was great
2. Appreciated the effort (we did go for it)

The Negatives:

1. Ref (my goodness!)
2. Useless subs (all but Matic)
3. Struggled to create chances
4. Some shocking defense

Red_Aaron

Once they went ahead it was done

We don't have the shape, the nous, the skill to break them down

They did exactly what they were always going to do and we played right into their hands.

Nothing we didn't already know though I suppose

eire-red

That's literally the Atletico script, and to be honest you could see the tie going exactly like this when the tie was drawn.

Our squad have a terrible mentality and shrink away when the going gets tough. Atletico got in our heads after going ahead and it was game over from there. So predictable.

And the worst thing you can say is that this lot will get pasted against better opposition later in the tournament. Shows where we are as a club.

And finally, for all the terrible dark arts that Atletico do, they still used the ball better than us and had composure when they needed it. No one to blame but ourselves

Andrew7582

People will try to make it all about the ref but we were poor, Atletico created better chances than us.

captaincantona

Athletico were shite. Full stop. That’s what’s so disappointing. They are awful. Simone is a fuking turd. Scholes on BT saying they were brilliant and it’s great to see the shithousery away from home. What a fuking awful statement. Who the fuk endorses that type of display from Athletico. Any decent side put those idiots to the sword. They didn’t even have to defend.

MonkeysMagic

The lack of quality and creativity is really shocking. Atletico will go.out next round, in fact the other 7 teams would be praying to draw them but it says alot about us that we cant create anything against this shower.

Quite frankly, these players don't deserve CL next season so we have to suffer as fans.

always_hoping

Disappointed but not overly surprised at yet another Champions league exit to Spanish opposition.

Need a bit a quality and luck to win these knock out cup ties and two possible fouls in the build up to the goal and a penalty not given to United was two slices of luck for Atletico.

Atletico with the lead did what they do best by slowing the game down and not allowing any momentum build up it was enough for them to go through tonight but i think in the next round they'll shown up as mediocre.

Season officially done for United now and that could be their last Champions league tie for a few seasons. A reset or a reset is required now

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A clueless ref and a very average Athletico who are masters of the dark arts made it tough, but by far our biggest enemy was ourselves. So naive, so poor in that second half, playing into our opponent's hands. That was a hopeless team performance for 50 minutes and our players didn't stand up as individuals either.

I'm very disappointed but not in the slightest bit surprised, and that's what hurts the most.

MrBest

Ref was clueless, has he ever done a game before? Maguire and Rashford should not be a mile near the first team anymore, RR needs the balls to drop them. Why on earth did Bruno come off, especially for Rashford or whoever. My left ball would have done better than that man. Same crap, different year. The glazers have taken all the fun out of football for me.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Im shocked that bombing shit crosses to the area didn't work! Probably for ragnick it was an infallible strategy prior to the match

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Our players seem to have weights tied to their feet. They generally press and respond in a much slower fashion to most decent teams. It is almost like time seems to slow down the moment you become a United player and everything moves a few seconds slower.

Someone

Something
Terrible, we're mentally fragile and allowed them to play their shite game. Ref was horrible but we didn't help ourselves.

shazzmufc

Mata still has something to offer on the pitch. Matic did well too.

Ref MOTM, bravo

croadyman

Absolutely gutted, however we have been outsmarted by such a savvy team in this competition. Chelsea didn't give them a sniff last year when they met and sadly that's the difference at the sharp end.

r0663664

Worships Man City
We deserve what we get. Shit ownership, shit players and coaches for so many years. Even we beat them, we won't make it to next round. We have one of the most expensive team and a collection of top players but to shit with so little quality. I want to totally overhaul of the squad with Rashford, Maguire, McTominay, Fred, Matic, Mata, Pogba, Ronaldo, Cavani and Lingard all gone. I guess we need $500 mil just to replace them.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Im gutted, unfortunately atletico are the prototype of a team we struggle with.

SuperiorXI

The Ref was a disgrace but we played right into Atletico's hands, they were always going to go down with the slightest touch but we kept doing it time and time again and giving the ball back to them with no quality and patience. One of the key things in the Fergie era was if we needed a goal we would be patient, keep possession and wait for the openings... this was scatter gun madness. Chucked even Mata on! I forgot Mata was even in our squad!

Manny

Grammar Police
4 minutes of injury time... I was expecting at least 5. Atletico were a joke.

Wayne's World

Better team won over two legs. We got conned by Atletico but we all knew they do this. You need to keep your head and composure and we didn't do it.

Ref was fecking shit but I don't think it was a penalty or free-kick for their goal but every faint touch on an Atletico player was a free

Rex Banner

Thought we were great in the first half and then we just completely switched off for the goal. That Elanga chance was so close as well, keeper knew nothing about it.

Second half was poor, no idea what our tactics were for the last 20 minutes. Absolutely played into Atletico's hands as well, everyone knows they're gonna play and we just made it so easy for them.

Thought Rashford was abysmal when he came on, just awful. Why is he being brought on considering his form? Doesn't deserve to be playing. Would've been better off just leaving Bruno on, wouldn't have had to resort to bringing on Mata either.

The ref can do one we well, not one yellow ffs

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
When you start a knockout game in CL with Telles, Dalot, Maguire, Elanga, McT and sadly Fred (played well today) you’re lacking the quality to win a big game.

atkar83

There's so much wrong with this lineup. There's no cohesion, no chemistry, no will to play as a team. I don't see how any coach can make a difference with this bloated squad as it is. One, two or even three signings that are starters won't even be enough. We're just a bunch of big names thrown together hoping for the best

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 240 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Man Utd 2:1 Atletico Madrid
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Atletico Madrid