CL L Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:1 Barcelona

Post-match discussion

Wed, 10 April 2019

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Depressing. We didn’t fire a shot it seemed to me and a below par Barca beat us easily.
Our crossing is atrocious.
When you consider how much Pogba & Lukaku cost you have to accept that they have been terrible.
McTom & Fred were good.Pleased for them.
Young shouldn’t be near our team let alone captain.

NorthBraxton

I think McTominay and Fred bossed the midfield. Of course some of you in here still give Fred shite. And losing Shaw for the 2nd leg is a huge blow.

the hea

We played as well as you can expect from this team, the simple fact is that we don't have the quality in our squad to compete at this level.

Patrick08

Lost it because of coward attitude for the first 15 mins till they scored. And of course rashford was a typical English player today like Welbeck .

eltigreFalcao

Im disappointed as this game could have easily been won. Lack of guts, definitely. There were some positives and overall I think as much as we have deadwood, we also have some strenghts that hopefully will arise in the near future.
Tbh I dont see us winning in Camp Nou but there's still a chance

We need Pogba back and Young OUT

Pavl3n

Fred was one of the best players on the pitch.
Yes, he played pretty well. But he didn't really offer anything going forward and I doubt he has it in his locker.
I want someone there who can boss the game, not someone who has 6.8/10 performance.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
You know, we're losing games but looking at mctominay and snallings post match, these guys really do believe they are the best at the moment. That's what I find so interesting.

MalcolmTucker

Was worried after the first 15 mins but we out hustled them and played well in midfield, just a shame about the quality up top.

Some of the messages I've read on here are baffling.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would have taken 0-1 up until we settled, then it looked good for us but sloppiness let us down in the end.

We are still in it. Score first playing like did today, and I fancy us to go on and win. Chin up.

Cloud7

Only got to see the second half so these thoughts may be wrong.

Fred and McT looked quite good.
Barca weren’t anywhere near as dominant or attacking as I thought they were going to be. 1-0 isn’t the worst result in the world but we do have another mountain to climb.

Suv666

Why is that our worst attacker (Young) sees most of the ball every fecking game.
Midfield and defence were good tonight. The attackers did feck all. Lukaku, Young and Rashford were the worst players on the pitch

Swiss_Red89

I thought Fred and McTominay were our best players today, really impressive. Wouldnt have taken off Lukaku at this time of the game. Rashford really good in the first half, only to find his incosistent form in the second. Pogba was also okay, i hope he will find the (better a few) genius momet(s) in Barcelona.

At least something to hope for for the second leg. Barca were not that good tonight tbh. If they play similar next week we have a chance.

Ole's at the wheel my friends.:devil:

RedAlways78

Yes we lost but we didn’t play bad and pressed Barca hard. We lacked quality up front.

If we can score early next week we might stand a chance. Away to Barca won’t be easy.

minoo-utd

How many times and attacks should Young ruined before feck off? Everything he touches is a mess.

Not one shot on goal! How? We should started as men not as cowards, we should attack with three.

Don't want to see any of Young, Shaw, Lingard, and Rashford for so long.

We need fullbacks and a R.W of Ole understands.

Reddy Rederson

Once again the "stars" offer nothing. McT and fred working their bollocks off while pogba does his usual fannying about. Id say the subs killed the game, but we were nothing getting a goal anyway. Lukakau too busy clapping passes he wasnt bothering his arse to run on to. Rashford just wasnt in it. Martial tried, but nothing to show. Lingard, his usual level of dog shit. The ref was just shit. No consistency in his decisions. And VAR, once a hero now just another piece of shit technology thats let down by those that avoid specs savers.

If Matic walks back in to the side again pushing McT out, Ill have some serious questions about Ole. Hes done it once and it was bullshit. Twice? Not a fan of any manager that plays favourites. The only thing that should guarantee a starting place is the previous performance.

Zero shots on target. For all the good that Fred and McT did, we were once again let down by being utterly toothless in the final third.

Young needs to take a page out of nevilles book. Do right by the team, and know when its time to go.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Thought the midfield and Smalling played really well, Fred and McTominay especially.

Young was hopeless , so much wastage , Dalot as well, Rashford not calm enough although the forwards pressed well, Pogba did ok but giving it to Young or Dalot brought the movements to the end.

Second half I thought we would equalise and played well. Then Lingard came on and all hope died, two fouls, one yellow card and unmarked in the box hits the first player, that was his contribution, and the attacking momentum died and Barcelona dominated possession after he came on - had enough of Lingard.

deadrevelz

Was worried after the first 15 mins but we out hustled them and played well in midfield, just a shame about the quality up top.

Some of the messages I've read on here are baffling.
Incredible isn't it. Pundits on 5live the same talking absolute shite.

At least the ones on my stream were talking sense.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Back five stupid, four players out of usual position... this is a C L Q/F not some training session. Test it vs West Ham not Barca.

Young absolutely piss poor. Rashford just behind.

Subs poor.... late, wrong players.

no idea how this Barca is so far clear in La Liga.I

huge missed opportunity, no idea how people can be happy with that. Ok performance from a few players, McTominay very good (please never play Matic again), Fred close behind.

Again, missed opportunity, too cautious

Untd55

Yes, he played pretty well. But he didn't really offer anything going forward and I doubt he has it in his locker.
I want someone there who can boss the game, not someone who has 6.8/10 performance.
He was playing as a defensive midfielder (won the ball back 14 times today). Most of the time he was sat in front of the back four. Any time he got forward he was one of our most dangerous players through the middle. He was the one who passed it through the centre to get it into Martial.

For a guy who spent about 80% of the game in front of the back four, he had more effect in attack than some of our most forward players.

8/10 easily.

Ban

Well we have Pogba for that. Fred did his part and did it very, very good.

Pavl3n

How many times and attacks should Young ruined before feck off? Everything he touches is a mess.

Not one shot on goal! How? We should started as men not as cowards, we should attack with three.

Don't want to see any of Young, Shaw, Lingard, and Rashford for so long.

We need fullbacks and a R.W of Ole understands.
In your honest opinion, what position do you think Shaw played today?

Oddboy

Absolutely woeful going forward.

McTominay was great, Fred and Shaw very solid.

Ashley Young is fecking dross.

Infra-red

McTominay was great, Fred was good, Pogba was poor, Young was horrendous. No shots on target at home in a Champions League game for the first time since Opta stats came in to existence. Realistically, our chances of progressing are now tiny.

In general, I thought the attitude was pretty good from the team as a whole, but quality was woefully lacking (particularly in forward areas, where possibly none of Rashford, Martial, Lingard or Lukaku are good enough at this level).

SirMattlives

Can't abide our hit'n'hope crossing, we work the ball well up to their box and then bang it to nobody....frustrating to watch. Did we really not have a single shot on target? Sheesh...

Now leaving that aside, we're a work in progress and I think we are making progress. People say Barca did not play well but we might have had something to do with that....so it's not over. Now if we can upgrade squad in the summer, I remain optimistic.

United58

If we don't go through next week, David Moyes will remain the last Man United manager to get a win or even a goal at home in the knockout stages of the Champions League until at least 2020.

Our players and media seem quite content with the result. Did I miss something? Barca looked shite on the night and we also looked shite, key difference being that we ended up losing the game...

The lack of composure, bravery and quality of some of our players is embarrassing.

stepic

At this point I give up with questioning why Young plays every game. Sentimental horseshit.

Thought we played alright though. We just lack quality.

RedAlways78

Oh and want to say Young will not last long on the pitch with VAR to catch his shirt pulling.

APJRed

I was expecting a bit of a drubbing to be honest but the reality was rather different. Poor not to have any attempts forcing Ter Stegen to make a save but Barca did little better. McT excellent and good to see Fred starting to make an impact. Dalot showing promise of things to come but clearly has some learning to do. Thought we looked solid at the back. Young way off the pace and his crossing was lamentable. Think he's had his time.

We're still in the tie but Barca will be a different proposition at home. We'll need something special and a healthy slice of luck.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Do United use to play with 5 in the back?
I ask because it is a very particular system, that you have to work. It is not something to improvise in a game of this height.

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 66% of 620 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 469 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw