CL L Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Barcelona 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 16 April 2019

Giggs86

A big river of shit that's been flowing from the top of the hill starting with management all the way down to the pitch ever since SAF retired.

The club is run by clueless idiots with Woodward being the biggest of them all, no vision, no plan for the future, just signing up random players and giving out contracts to players/managers of the month.

Our team is nothing more than a handful of talented individuals who play with no solid game plan, surrounded by average championship level players. And then we all act surprised when Barca annihilate us without even stepping out of second gear.

We need first and foremost a style, then we need to bring in players to fit that style and work as a unit instead of a collection of individuals. Teams like City, Pool, Spurs - they all have football styles in place and they bring in personnel to fit that style where every player have a specific role. Until we start doing the same we will be stuck in that football purgatory of chasing top 4 and getting outclassed every time we step foot in the CL.

Intilo

Wasn’t really expecting anything. Actually thought it’d be a Barca 3-1 win but heck we look like we need a completely new midfield. Ship Lingard and Young somewhere, anywhere.
You also wouldn’t think that what 3 years ago we beat a very young Ajax team in a final and now that team without spending probably a quarter of what we have is a million times better than us.
We beat them thanks to Fellaini, they still outplayed us, without him we would be winning nothing for years now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Didn't bother to get up and watch the match, but it was the result I fully expected. Annoying that it was our own mistakes from the looks of it that actually put us out of the tie, not any Barca magic. We are a long way off these top teams, and it comes as no surprise when they beat us.

markhrad

I actually was worried that barca would have embarrassed us so losing did not surprise me. To be honest I cannot remember the last time I went into match with such apathy.
Its not just that we have poor players but those who are skillful, like Pogba and Martial do not seem to have the passion or fighting spirit to take control of a game when we are behind or being outplayed.
My favourite player for a while has been Martial but he is a major disappointment. His lack of drive is wasting his talent. Its almost like he does not enjoy playing a game that has given him wealth and fame.
Pogba is undeniably immensely talented but he is not a leader and performs best when everything is going well. He is great when playing for France because he is surrounded by great players and I think we will only see the best of him if we surround him with such players.
It would be nice to have homegrown or at least English players in our team but we have to face facts that the ones we have are not very good. Lingard runs around doing very little in fact he seems to be just be a little late to get involved in tackles or build up play. Rashford is been toted as having so much potential but he is useless with his back to goal and in fact appears to run away from air balls when just outside the box. He has no left foot and to top it off he has become incredibly selfish. Don't get me wrong a lot of No9s are selfish but they tend to be two-footed and are physical against defenders.
I kind of feel sorry for Lukaku. He is kind of clumsy but he fights for every ball and tries to play in other players. Also I believe if he got the kind of balls he gives other players he would score more.

JEredDevil

I’m reading this thread and wondering what people honestly expected.

It’s the hope that kills.

The fact that Ole even had us hoping is a massive credit to him.
Exactly. That was what i was thinking too. By even having the belief that we could turn it around against Barca at the Nou Camp just shows how much we have come since mid-Dec. We weren't even expected to make the QFs when the draw was made.

Ole and his coaching team has done a great job since taking over. Yes, we shouldn't be contented with just a QF run in the UCL but sadly, this is a bonus for this current crop of players. If we had made it to the SFs, it would only have paper up the cracks on this shambolic defence. Our defence keeping the likes of Cavani, Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria, Messi, Coutinho, Suarez, Dembele, Rakitic at bay. Just imagine how high our heads would be if we did that. Truth is over the 2 legs, Barca didnt really got out of 2nd gear and still managed to beat us comfortably. Wouldnt see them winning against liverpool or city if they played this way.

The amount of quality reinforcements we need in defence is utterly shocking considering the amount of players we have. None of them except for Shaw and Lindelof is good enough to start and probably only Smalling should make it to the bench. We can only now hope that the board now sees the ridiculousness of the team and give Ole the backing he deserves.

tieunhilang

I’m reading this thread and wondering what people honestly expected.

It’s the hope that kills.

The fact that Ole even had us hoping is a massive credit to him.
"It was a miracle that we didn't get relegated."
"It was a miracle that we got top 4."
...etc...

This kind of mentality was what hold us back all these years. I feel we as supporters have been true loyal to these average players. We slate the likes of Young and Jones all the time, yeah. But it only takes a moment of them bleeding or something and we'd revert back to the "He got United DNA through and through..." or some cringy stuffs like that. How about we try and be practical for once. Give them a list of KPI like any companies and say clearly this is the KPI of a Manchester United player. You fail to meet the KPI, you are sold. Yes, even you, Ole.

We also get on our high horses and slate Madrid fans for booing players, even Ronaldo. But may be that's exactly why they are not stuck with the likes of Young and Valencia? They know their standards clearly and want victories badly enough. Our club seems content to just make the team a warm family/friends get-together, instead of a ruthless army base craving for victory.

el3mel

Wanted to quote that here.

Watching such beautiful passing and then looking at our heavy paid clowns unable to string 2 or 3 passes. Embarrassing stuff. Terrible days to support United in.

PaulRich

Hopefully this shit is now our rock bottom and we turn a corner. Some MASSIVE decisions to be made over the summer.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
At difficult times like this, its often helpful to remember that a bird did once shit in Ashley Young’s mouth.

OT1214

In the starting line-up today, only four United players were bought after SAF left the club, and that is a very worrying sign after so much expenditure on new players in that period.
That is astonishing. Credit to Smalling, Jones and Young. They have survived 6 years since Fergie, outlasted 3 managers and recently got their contracts extended. Hats off!!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hopefully this shit is now our rock bottom and we turn a corner. Some MASSIVE decisions to be made over the summer.
Ole had us believing again for a few matches but deep down we all really knew that simply re- motivating the squad wasn't the solution.

Now it is completely down to the level of ambition this once great club poseses.
No quick fix I am afraid and to repeat what another wise fan has said - an awful time to be a United supporter.

Tony247

Loss is not a surprise. We have lost before against better and lesser teams. It is the way this team is constituted and the way they play like they met each other only yesterday is worrying.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Because he's supposedly our best player that some on here call world class?

World class at disappearing when he's really needed more like. Total waste of money.
No player can carry this tripe to victory.

However the stats are there to be seen 42 appearances, 16 goals and 14 assists. Don't worry though, if we want him out, he'll be out. Then we can enjoy the talent of the various mules 24/7 such as Young, Mctominay and Lingard to our heart content. No one is going to take them away from our hands that's for sure.

Suedesi

I'll get laughed at but if it were not for De Gea's mistake things might have been different

I really don't get the commentators fawning over Barcelona, they really weren't that good
Agreed, and I think once Liverpool dispatch them the wanking over the scouse will be unbearable.

Rake

As it the first game, we missed our chances and Barcelona were lethal. We had 2 decent chances in the first 5 minutes (Rashfort and McT)... Then we just invited pressure by making silly mistakes, Fred and Young just love giving the ball away 25-30 meters from the goal, De Gea was shit again (i don't even count that fluke at the end of the first half as a save) and this spineless bunch just crumbled again. Everyone in their right mind knew we were lucky to be qfs anyway.

We have a few very important games ahead and we are looking as shite as we were under Mourinho (if not worse).

All is not lost! Nobody can take "Would you take X if Liverpool doen't win the title" threads from us!

Member 113277

Started well, had the stuffing knocked out of us courtesy of our own woeful defending and never recovered against a vastly superior team. Young having to play for us in big games is a travesty, Pogba's 'frustrated' mode is so fecking annoying, Jones, McTominay and Fred had a go but were outgunned and the front three struggled on scraps but are too often nowhere near clinical enough for us.
This is what I saw. McTominay is coming on well and didn't look overawed, if he continues his progression next season, our midfield will be stronger. Fred is starting to look like a £25m player - can he upvalue to £50m? I hope so, the glimpses of an excellent player are teasing. Jones is what he is - but will always give it a go. I also thought Linedlof made a decent fist of playing out of position against a team that is dangerous down our right flank. Agree about Young and Pogba and DDG is worrying me at the moment, not just the howler, but he does appear to be playing the ball out into risky positions more than is healthy and to be distracted - that needs sorting.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why are we even in a meltdown here! I am one of the more optimistic supporters here and even I knew deep down that realistically winning vs Barca was always going to be difficult. It gives us a good idea about where we are and what we should be like. The game yesterday should give a clearer indicator to the board and the backroom staff about our weaknesses which need to be addressed so as to compete with the European elite

Jackxxx

Ashley Young needs to quit football immediately!
The whole team should be punished with one weekly salary.
The performance was a pure disgrace. Shame!

Member 113277

Why are we even in a meltdown here! I am one of the more optimistic supporters here and even I knew deep down that realistically winning vs Barca was always going to be difficult. It gives us a good idea about where we are and what we should be like. The game yesterday should give a clearer indicator to the board and the backroom staff about our weaknesses which need to be addressed so as to compete with the European elite
Well said. 3-0 at the Camp Nou is a fate teams better than our current one have suffered and one of those goals had an assist from AY, whilst the other could be classed as self inflicted - though to be fair to Messi, he finished the first one with incredible precision, I didn't like Barca scoring but had to admire the skill in the strike.

Ekeke

4 of that back 5 started against Basel in 2011 when we were knocked out in the group stage. 8 seasons ago. Eight.
Back 5? We played a back 4.

And 3 of them were starting last season when we finished 2nd in the league :lol:

kambinks

Can't help but think the players heads are somewhere else tonight. The team just seems different after those stories about Herera, Pogba, and the lot listed to be moved came out. Can't help but think we could've done better a few weeks earlier.

Regardless I don't think anyone can say the result was surprising but the fight and ability shown was definitely lacking. Focus on the league and hope for a miracle.

Hughes35

Ole should have started Lukaku and Sanchez not Rashford and Lingard, they are his favorite for sorry but they are shite.
No he shouldn't. This post is nonsense.

He got his team right in my opinion. I'd have played Dalot over young but that's about it. The players are just not up to standard.

buckooo1978

it has to be.... if we dont invest heavily it clearly indicates that the Glazers aren't interested in progress with the football part of our business

there's some serious talent to be acquired if we move quickly - I'd start my shopping at Ajax by bringing in Van Der Sar, De Ligt and Ziyech

nainaisson

At difficult times like this, its often helpful to remember that a bird did once shit in Ashley Young’s mouth.
I'm a tad confused why everyone's scapegoating Ashley Young when De Gea made the worst goalkeeping blunder I've ever seen and essentially made Karius look world class in comparison. We all know Young is a sh*t left-back, but De Gea is supposed to be the best keeper in the world. I never expected us to win the game, but learning that your "world class" keeper can sh*t the bed like that in a big game is genuinely worrying.

paulie m

I think we will sign players supposedly capable. The problem is we will have to pay even higher wages to tempt them due to no CL football and then the cycle repeats itself with our wage issue.
Completely agree. We will end up with more players like Sanchez that are ending there contracts elsewhere and we pay wages rather than big transfer fees but end up with players just wanting that final pay day.

Dr Fink

Young despite his age and recent failings has more heart, passion and commitment than a lot of the others on the pitch. Yes, his time has come to move on but he has been committed to our cause in this difficult period. The ageing, gutless, non-committed and headless need moving on too - Jones, probably Martial (how does he get so much good press on here?), Rojo, Mata, Matic, Herrera etc. The calibre of replacements needs upping quite a bit - don't buy "potential" in the Martials of this world, but proven quality. Bear in mind that if we clear a lot out and buy replacements, it sets us back a season or two as they'll need to gel. The club really should have sorted this out a while back. Stick with Ole and give him the means to improve us - time, money, the staff a DoF and the right players.

I agree with an earlier post that the fact Ole gave us hope was a bonus - we don't deserve to dine at the top table at the moment. We are a long, long way off. The second goal killed us, poor DDG, an absolute clanger. This Barca team was there for the taking, it's not one of the best teams they've had. Messi does seem to carry them. Their defence was poor but allowed to play out. It pains me to say it but Liverpool will put them to the sword comfortably.

In the mean time let's try and nail down 4th by winning all our remaining games (bar City at home <ahem>).

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
They have better players. Simple as that

Almost every player in their team has a superb first touch, and their movement off the ball is miles ahead of ours. The only way we get there is a perfect process of 5 years, leaving out players like young who are mid table level at best. Fergie years look farther than ever :(
Fergie never really got us to elite European level either. It was smash and grab fairytale stuff. We never could keep possession or dominate games; anyway tactically speaking that’s another century

suhaylah

We need a whole new team to be at the top again. i would keep only our goal keepers, that's it.

Fracture90

Think we started really well and were a better team up until that penalty scare, that completely killed our momentum and let Barca takeover the game. Young and DDG mistakes only helped extinguish any fire we had in us. Again I don't understand Ole's persistence with Young, it will be his undoing I feel.

Tincanalley

...our summer success is all dependant on Ed Woodward and the board.
Fecked.

De gea ... Pogba - Lukaku
Still effective- money would have to be brilliantly spent. Remember, it’s Ed.
Rashford - sign now or again go. Think he will come good
I have doubts.

sanchez, Valencia and Rojo, I agree with

if the board are serious about backing the manager then give him the £200 million + the £260 million from the above sales.
If.
... if we got this wrong then I’m afraid we would fall into an abyss that we would not come out of for a long time.
I was well entertained by your fantasy spending splurge. For a minute there we were winning the league
Like I said it’s a big summer, no it’s a huge summer for our club. The board MUST decide to back the manager with everything they have and more if we are to return to the top. If they don’t want to back the manager then if we are honest what is the point in MUFC as this would be a clear indication that on field results are a distant second to our commercial activity off the pitch.
Very true. I think that underlying your post is an awful, unbearable reality.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Young despite his age and recent failings has more heart, passion and commitment than a lot of the others on the pitch. Yes, his time has come to move on but he has been committed to our cause in this difficult period. The ageing, gutless, non-committed and headless need moving on too - Jones, probably Martial (how does he get so much good press on here?), Rojo, Mata, Matic, Herrera etc. The calibre of replacements needs upping quite a bit - don't buy "potential" in the Martials of this world, but proven quality. Bear in mind that if we clear a lot out and buy replacements, it sets us back a season or two as they'll need to gel. The club really should have sorted this out a while back. Stick with Ole and give him the means to improve us - time, money, the staff a DoF and the right players.

I agree with an earlier post that the fact Ole gave us hope was a bonus - we don't deserve to dine at the top table at the moment. We are a long, long way off. The second goal killed us, poor DDG, an absolute clanger. This Barca team was there for the taking, it's not one of the best teams they've had. Messi does seem to carry them. Their defence was poor but allowed to play out. It pains me to say it but Liverpool will put them to the sword comfortably.

In the mean time let's try and nail down 4th by winning all our remaining games (bar City at home <ahem>).
Well said on Ashley Y

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This is what I saw. McTominay is coming on well and didn't look overawed, if he continues his progression next season, our midfield will be stronger. Fred is starting to look like a £25m player - can he upvalue to £50m? I hope so, the glimpses of an excellent player are teasing. Jones is what he is - but will always give it a go. I also thought Linedlof made a decent fist of playing out of position against a team that is dangerous down our right flank. Agree about Young and Pogba and DDG is worrying me at the moment, not just the howler, but he does appear to be playing the ball out into risky positions more than is healthy and to be distracted - that needs sorting.
Yeah I thought Lindelof did well in an unfamiliar and impossible position, he chased shadows for much of the game but did the last-ditch stuff well. Lingard and Martial could barely get on the ball, not entirely their fault but I was disappointed at how little they did, Rashford was lively here and there but blew good opportunities.

The positives from this season in terms of player development are McTominay, Dalot and Fred, the latter because as you say he's gone from looking like a disaster to a decent player and a prospect. Slim pickings really, games like last night show we're in need of a serious overhaul. I hope the board, Ole and the players can get on the same page this summer as it feels make or break.

Player Ratings

3.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355.64285714286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Barcelona 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Barcelona 3:0 Man Utd