CL W Champions League Group A

Benfica 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 October 2017

Marcky411

Firstly very happy with the 3 points, we are nearly through to the next round and that is as positive as what it got. I really hope that this was due to all the defensive training they did for the Liverpool game. Lukaku 180 min, 1 fluffed chance. We had one shot on goal their keeper really had to save (Matic) and a lucky goal due to a keeper error. I kept trying to see if LVG was sitting on the sideline with his notebook. Luckily I could zap between the different CL games being played and all the other games showed teams playing with intent, attacking and moving the ball around with pace. This was a team Basel spanked 5-0 and we needed a lucky goal. I really hope the boys get back on track as soon as possible and hope that we have not seen the best of them for this season.

moodyred

People complain about the boring soccer. I will gladly take a win any day.

I say post-fergie era, we need to first start winning consistently and winning the league in particular, before we start complaining about the soccer. This team needs to get its confidence back and make OT the fortress that it is.

Let Mourinho do what he does best. Win trophies.

Reactions: Penna

Havak

Pokemon master
Just happy to get that one out of the way and win. Big result, don't care too much how we got it, I'm confident that is the group won and we might get the chance to rest more players in the last two fixtures. Bar the start of the game, we controlled it and didn't have to exert ourselves too much which is great before the weekend game. Downside is Rashford going off, but hopefully he can still make the bench.

dmode

Reading the comments, I am happy that I didn't watch the match... but what a gag goal... the keeper was utterly stupid for leaving his line, and looked funny when trying to keep the ball on the line.

Hope it's not a serious injury for Rashford.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Some people complain at every single thing. If you don’t like it then don watch the team play.

There is expectations for the club to be the best and play amazing football every week and then there is whinging like a little baby.

Anyway, 3 points in the bag, 9 out of 9. This has been an easy group and the team haven't had to come out of 2nd gear for most of it. Very happy with how the team is performing across the board, especially after the 3 seasons we had to put up with before Mourinho.

Peanut Butter

People complain about the boring soccer. I will gladly take a win any day.

I say post-fergie era, we need to first start winning consistently and winning the league in particular, before we start complaining about the soccer. This team needs to get its confidence back and make OT the fortress that it is.

Let Mourinho do what he does best. Win trophies.
Soccer?!?!

Hamadovich86

Three points and a step closer to the next round. That said I hated the way we just sat back, I dont feel like Benfica warrant that kind of caution.

stu_1992

Very average stuff, but at least we got the result and are in a strong position in the group. Absoluteness bizarre goal, and I'm not really sure what that keeper was doing most of the night. Hope we get back to decent football this weekend.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
How far out was the Rashford free kick? I see the Irish Times saying 25 yards this morning, seemed like it was further out to me...??

Rusholme Ruffian

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How far out was the Rashford free kick? I see the Irish Times saying 25 yards this morning, seemed like it was further out to me...??
Was easily 35, 20/25 is just around the edge of the box and he was much further out than that.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This was really a terrible performance. Benfica is a team totally off form that sold four starting players. They are being outplayed by small teams in some games.
I'm afraid we are stepping out of form.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was easily 35, 20/25 is just around the edge of the box and he was much further out than that.
It's called the "16 yard box" for a reason! Might get close to 20 yards away from the goal at the corners but a 25 yard strike is always a good bit outside the box. Rashford looked to be a good 30 yards out though. At least.

Djemba-Djemba

Playing in the Europa has taught us how to play in Europe again.
That's a good point actually.

We definitely look more comfortable in Europe than we have in a long time and I think it's because of the experience in Europe last year.

I know we've not faced the highest level of opponents yet but it wasn't so long ago we were regularly losing, especially away to teams like Wolfsburg and PSV and fecking Midtylland.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
9 points from a possible 9, and the next fixture is at home against probably the weakest team in the group...
Touching distance of the knockout phase and wasn't that our early season target?

A very controlled and professional performance away from home in Europe against opponents that desperately needed the win.

** Not sure if I heard this correctly, but TV pundit said 9 clean sheets from 12 matches so far this season, and 12 from the final 16 matches last season.
Is that true...?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's called the "16 yard box" for a reason! Might get close to 20 yards away from the goal at the corners but a 25 yard strike is always a good bit outside the box. Rashford looked to be a good 30 yards out though. At least.
You're just being picky, I said around :lol: but yes you're correct.

RuudTom83

Mkhitaryan ruined many potential chances last night, it really was a few bad passes away from having the 3/4 clear chances needed to win the game 3-0

Coming off the Liverpool performance it appears worse than it is. Last night was a decent away performance in Europe.

mark_a

1. We're all but through! :)
2. Mkhitaryan was poor (& we really need him not to be)
3. Benfica desperate for a result there, really needing 3 points. So I'm assuming that was their best shot? But I guess they're not bottom of the group for no reason!
4. I have a concern with Lukaku that if he's not getting the ball on a plate he's not too effective

Let's not fall into the press narrative that if we win, we haven't won the right way. Yeah, it wasn't pretty & neither was Liverpool, but we're missing players and others aren't performing.

Bestietom

Getting so as you cannot pick a man of the match when so many are below par. I hate to say it but a lot of players not performing now. We need to get Pogba and others, back quickly.

Jeffthered

Happy that we are navigating an easy group quite easily (as that would have been a struggle in the last couple of seasons..). I just want another point, and then play some youngsters for the final couple of games.

Shame Rashford picked up injury. Let us hope it isn't too bad.

I am not even thinking about last 16, but in many ways I welcome the challenge as I think it will positively raise our game, for many of our players, and manager. Some will respond positively, some players may be unable to. But we need these big games against big players again. Need to be in that mix.

Benfica look like a side in transition, I understand that they lost 12 players in the summer? That's a huge task to address... I do admire their club, historically they are hugely significant, have a terrific fan base, and what a stadium....

Siorac

It's called the 18 yard box, you're mixing up the metric and imperial systems here. 16 meters/18 yards.

Member 90887

9 points from a possible 9, and the next fixture is at home against probably the weakest team in the group...
Touching distance of the knockout phase and wasn't that our early season target?

A very controlled and professional performance away from home in Europe against opponents that desperately needed the win.

** Not sure if I heard this correctly, but TV pundit said 9 clean sheets from 12 matches so far this season, and 12 from the final 16 matches last season.
Is that true...?
For this year it's true, we conceded against Cska, Stoke (2) and Burton.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I am happy with the result but when you look at the competition I think we are a level or a few levels behind them. Forget about Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern. I think we will struggle with other teams left out of the group stages too. Lukaku's lack of first touch and lack of ball control is making matters worse when the midfield players are not able to do anything. If only Morrison has got his head screwed the right way we would not be struggling. I saw his talent and what a player he is and hope that he can get his act sorted out in Mexico and come back to United like Pogba did.
You can't be serious

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For this year it's true, we conceded against Cska, Stoke (2) and Burton.
Yeah it was last season I wasn't so sure about, I imagined we'd have shipped a few when focus was switched fully onto the Europa League..?

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Slow start, couldn't pick a pass for first 25 minutes.
Thereafter always in control and never looked in any danger throughout the match.

Not the most exciting game but 1-0 away win is a great European result and we're almost through.

Matic and Rashford pick of the bunch and Mkhi is really off form.

Peanut Butter

Chuffed with last night's win. I love how solid we look.

We need to attack more, no denying that. But Jose is about results and he is getting them.

Huddersfield next - must win.

Painer

Solid AWAY performance in the CL, 3 points near enough sealing our passage through off the back of a tough game at Anfield and another away game on weekend....yet people are still moaning. 3 points on the weekend and it's been a fantastic week.

2 weeks ago people were getting bored with 4-0's....i realised expectations have risen but Christ. We've a tricky run of fixtures, injuries to some key players yet we're still grinding out wins whilst being solid at the back.
Guess you can't please everyone.

Blind

I definitely wouldn't call it a 'professional' performance, it was professional in the sense we turned up and put 11 players on the pitch but not much apart from that. Pogba and Zlatan can't come back soon enough, even Fellaini with the team looking very pedestrian and lacking character.

VanGaalEra

Perfect game really, didn’t have to exert much energy, they didn’t test us and we strolled through at a slow pace.

9 points and all but qualified. Win in 2 weeks, we top the group and can rest players for Matchdays 5 and 6.

Klopp_De_Klown

We camefor a draw, we got 3 points. As per Joses plan.

We did not have to win this game and Benfica did not come out to play so what can we do really. We upped it on the second half and looked so much better doing it. But the onus was on Benfica and even at 0-1 they did not come out. So its no surprise the game went as it did.

Win Tuesday week and if CSKA get anything against Basel thats top and can play the kids in the last 2 games

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
That's a good point actually.

We definitely look more comfortable in Europe than we have in a long time and I think it's because of the experience in Europe last year.

I know we've not faced the highest level of opponents yet but it wasn't so long ago we were regularly losing, especially away to teams like Wolfsburg and PSV and fecking Midtylland.
Exactly.

Last two times we were knocked out in the group stages, we had a similar level of group. Now our younger players know how to play and win in Europe.

The last time Jose won the Europa league, he went one better the following season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- Highlight of the night was in the pub when one TV was showing a replay of a glorious volley being scored in the Chelsea game, while the other at the same time showed a reply of a Benfica defender attempting to clear the ball, missing it, and then falling over as it hit him and went off for a corner.

- I would have felt sorry for the keeper, except, the haircut, and headband. I said at the start of the game that it wasn't acceptable and he needed to do something about it, and I was right.

- Rashford seems to have this weird ability to hypnotise the opposition goalkeeper into basically scoring a goal for him.

- Why do our counter attacks always involve our players just kicking the ball forward in a direction in the hope it hits a team mate, instead of, you know, passing it to them?

- Why did we keep getting corners and then finding ways to avoid putting pressure on their keeper? Every time the ball went near him in the air, he panicked, and he also conceded a goal by being so scared of the ball in the air that he literally ran into his own goal with it...so we decide to take half of our corners by kicking it as far away from him as possible? Why are our player so thick?

- Can't figure out if Lindelhof played better or if the game just lowered itself to his level.

- Herrerubbish

iam_kramer

I had to watch it later on and it put me to sleep twice. I watched the full first half, fell asleep, second half I only watched highlights and still fell asleep. What an awful performance and match. We need to be much better in attack, I was shocked by how many players, mostly Rashford and Henrikh just passed or ran the ball out of play and gave it away. We offered so little in attack, we've had a few games like this now this season; Everton, Liverpool, Benfica and Southampton.

We've played better football this season but there have been a few games now where it just looked way too uninspiring.

Marcky411

This

And this

Yes and we spanked Basle 3-0...do you understand how football works?
Yes I do, and if a performance is dire to watch, having difficulty to string 2-3 passes together without losing possession or having to play the long ball and then losing possession, I am not going to praise it as a job well done. If we are needing lucky goals to get past teams like this, then we are heading down the wrong path and could have a long and difficult season ahead us. That is my opinion but apparently it is the wrong one.
Can you really say with all confidence, after the last 2 games, that we are going to Huddersfield this weekend and will be returning with 3 points in the bag and a couple of goals?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It was far from thrilling but we were in totally control and they never looked like scoring so I was not worried as I was in the days of LVG and Moyes. I thought Smalling and Lindelof looked good, Matic dominated the midfield but we don't look anywhere near as threatening when all three of Mata, Herrera and Miki play - and as for Lingard coming on to "spice things up" :lol:. I still feel we are one world-class player away from being serious contenders for the PL and CL but three wins out of three can't be bad and I'm pretty sure we'll thump Benfica at home and so qualify before November

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Is that true...?
We kept 7 in our last 11 PL games and 2 in our last 5 EL games.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 392 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Benfica win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Benfica 0:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Benfica 0:3 Man Utd