CL W Champions League Group A

Benfica 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 October 2017

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We are going to need a bigger stick if Mourinho expects to pile any more shit on it.

Silverman

Too many players playing poorly. Full backs are not getting into an attacking position enough (Valencia looking worryingly slower than usual). Mkhitaryan very poor, Rashford struggling out wide, Lukaku not the sharpest. All round turns it into a pretty poor performance. Nothing to be too worried about atm but hopefully the performances pick up fast. Also badly missing Pogba. Need some creativity and agility in midfield.

Irrational.

Jose post match:

- We were always in control, solid defensively
- Plan was to target their keeper and make him uncomfortable
- The Rashford injury is "something he felt in his knee"
- "The amazing defensive job Liverpool did against us Benfica couldn't do for 90 minutes" :lol::lol:
- Happy that we're practically through with two home games remaining

Robertd0803

Utterly bizarre goal to score. Even more bizarre considering Rashford nearly scored from a corner just beforehand.

Anyway Benfica were crap and we were never in danger and 3 more points.

Rashfords injury is a worry.

shaky

Not like the Fergie days when I clearly remember us winning 5-0 in every away CL game aginst middling European sides. Mourinho out.

minoo-utd

Good we won the 3 points but Players were isolated, Mkhi failed to link between the midfield and attacking line, Lingard is a real poor sub and player. We need Pogba back in Midfield. Hope Rashford injury is not serious.

James Peril

Don’t care about performances, away games in the CL are always tough, or at least could be. See Atletico drawing Quarabag. Benfica have definitely been better in the past of course.

Nice to Matic carrying the ball forward and unleashing shots, seems he’s tired of seeing his mates sucking at attacking football. A goal is a goal, nice one.

Djemba-Djemba

We produced almost exactly the same type of performance away to Benfica in 2006 under Fergie.

Even had the same 1-0 scoreline.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
We are going to need a bigger stick if Mourinho expects to pile any more shit on it.
Don't know what you exepct, best you can get with the current players, maybe you go tell Mkhi to stop playing for the enemy team then we might see some actual football? Otherwise need to buy a proper 10, but not every team can buy everyone anytime like City..

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Reward from winning this could be crucial in terms of first half of the season. Luxury of resting some key players in next 3 CL matches is a huge asset before tough PL fixtures ahead.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Don't know what you exepct, best you can get with the current players, maybe you go tell Mkhi to stop playing for the enemy team then we might see some actual football? Otherwise need to buy a proper 10, but not every team can buy everyone anytime like City..
Better football.

el3mel

Not like the Fergie days when I clearly remember us winning 5-0 in every away CL game aginst middling European sides. Mourinho out.
Exactly this.

Some here when talk makes me feel I was supporting another team during SAF era! I'm starting to believe we were defeating each team home and away 5-0.

Al-T

Three games - two of which away - nine points, practically qualified untroubled. Defence rock solid. Job as good as done.

Hope Rashford is ok. Hope Pogba is back REAL soon. Hope for champagne football in the knockout stages but quite happy with progress in CL so far.

Wonder if Chelsea regret letting Matic go?

minoo-utd

Matic is our best player right now, hope Jose finds the right formation to rest him a bit but I know that won't happen soon.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Predicable credit for the defence despite nothing from the opposition, and predictably having a go at those unhappy with watching crap football. Next will be people saying it's a meltdown because people dared to say they weren't happy with what they saw.

Everyone looked lacklustre. Maybe instructions from Jose so that we can go all out soon. We can only hope. But that still doesn't excuse not being able to perform basic football stuff, like passing to an open teammate at a low intensity. Rashford and then Martial the only ones who didn't look like the walking dead.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The match day thread was bucket loads of fun if you're the masochistic type who dabbles in some light flagellation.

3 wins out of 3 on the CL thus far. Try and enjoy it folks.

Paul_Scholes18

Good win :). Not a fantastic performance, but we controlled the second half. Job done you can say.

Positive things would be Blind and Lindelöf who played well.
Negative Lukaku and Mkhitaryan look to have lost the early season form. With Lukaku I guess the injury problems could be a factor. Maybe he needs a bit of a rest in one game? Martial and Rashford together against Huddersfield I personally wouldn't mind.

cyberman

@VeevaVee
I have never seen a side register 73% possession and be accused of not being able to pass to each other.
That's a ridiculous statement quite frankly.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
@VeevaVee
I have never seen a side register 73% possession and be accused of not being able to pass to each other.
That's a ridiculous statement quite frankly.
There was lots of poor passing. Sometimes it just about reached the target. The 73% possession was because Benfica literally did nothing and were even worse.

Job done of course, but I expect better from a United player regardless.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was like watching United from last season, we didn't look like scoring. Looked slow, poor passing and out of ideas.

But it's all about the 3 points and hopefully Rashford is okay, his goal was very smart I thought.

Kostur

海尔的老板
We're pretty much through, will allow for some better rotation in the last two games, hardly a breathtaking match but the three points are there in the end and I think we were rather comfortable throughout the match. Form of some of the players is a worry though.

Paul_Scholes18

Good result. Three wins in three :)
Jepp it is a fantastic start to the champions league. 3 wins 2 away from home as well. Now we can get another win at Old Trafford and we will have qualified in every way possible apart from the mathematical (most likely we will have done that as well). Then if we have done that we can rest players for the last 2 games and give games to Ibrahimovic, Rojo and other players needing minutes most likely.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The match day thread was bucket loads of fun if you're the masochistic type who dabbles in some light flagellation.

3 wins out of 3 on the CL thus far. Try and enjoy it folks.
Some of our fans have become so used to moaning, unless we are beating teams 5-0, they won't stop.
I remember when we were scoring 4 goals per game, some people were moaning.
We win 1-0 and yet again, moaning.
Unbeaten all season, moan some more.

I do wonder that if these fans are so negative and miserable, almost everytime we play, why do they even watch football?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Jepp it is a fantastic start to the champions league. 3 wins 2 away from home as well. Now we can get another win at Old Trafford and we will have qualified in every way possible apart from the mathematical (most likely we will have done that as well). Then if we have done that we can rest players for the last 2 games and give games to Ibrahimovic, Rojo and other players needing minutes most likely.
Yep couldn't ask for a better start. Them winter fixtures will come thick and fast in the league so it would be great to have our key players fresh for them.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 392 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Benfica win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Benfica 0:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Benfica 0:3 Man Utd