PL W FA Premier League

Bournemouth 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 August 2016

jungledrums

Scoring 3 goals in when playing average is a good sign.

Positives: Bailly, Valencia
Negatives: Rooney, Martial.

Top of the league, just need to win our next 37 to be champions.
Not Martial's best, but definitely an improvement over the last few weeks. Some good signs from him today.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Typical Mourinho performance for me. Nothing too great, but gets the win. I'll take it.

EDIT: Bailly is a fecking beast too

OneUnited24

Cant remember the last time we scored 3. Overall i'm pleased. Wasnt vintage and you can see what Jose meant that he needs to do a bit more work with the team.

Thought we defended well too, last season after letting a goal in you knew the other wasnt far behind.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Controlled and measured performance. Evident that our pre season was a complete clusterfeck but Bournemouth helped us with poor defending.

Bailly was outstanding and we did a good professional job.

Skills

Snitch
Good result. Decentish performance for a season opener. feck off Rooney, welcome Pogba.

IhabX7

Bailly and Fellaini in particular were fantastic. Very good defensively and for a spell of 15 minutes or so played some very good football. Very exciting to see us do well in an away fixture, especially one that we lost last year.

Rooney the weakest on the day. Martial getting sharper. Zlatan is going to be great for us.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Great overall performance by the team, there seems to be more confidence and fluidity in our play which is very important.

Devil may care

The back 4 were good and I thought Ibra had a decent game, getting off the mark straight away will be important. The rest of it was fairly poor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Impressive debut performance. We played relatively well but more importantly, the character and mental focus was there, which is a good sign going forward.

nick2004

Good game. Especially if we consider that we didn't have a proper pre-season. Rooney always needs time but he already scored, so there is hope! Baily seems great, hopefully he will form a great partnership with Smalling. We all expect that Pogba will offer something special, we'll see. I am still not convinced that Miki is not another Kagawa, he seems very weak.

El Zoido

We're looking much better already and there's still a lot more to come.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good start, with Pogba and Miky to fully be integrated. Smalling to come back in as well.

Last year when we lost to them we had a ridiculous back 4 out, so always had positive hopes today.
3 goals in a game! See ya later Van Gaal.

Rooney scored a nice header, but too often stinks moves up.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
We scored three goals. How often have we done that in the last few seasons? If nothing else, that's a positive.

Squaaaad

Solid defence today! I don't recall de Gea having to make a save except for the corners around the 93th minute! (and the goal maybe)
Exactly I can't remember any chances for them apart from the goal and the corner at the end. How many games did we have last season where De Gea had pretty much nothing to do ? Great signs ahead.

FujiVice

A lot of opposition players are going to shit themselves at just how physical we are this season. And this is without Pogba! I'm really looking forward to seeing us really get going this season. We could be in for something special.

Smalling might struggle to get back in the side. Blind and Bailly look to mesh well.

mancan92

Probably the best I've seen us play for atleast 18 months. In center midfield both of them were great. Fellaini and Herrera were terrific great defensively and Herrera was very good passing wise.

Having Zlatan there just gives you the feeling that anything can happen. He doesn't know how to score a normal goal.

Second half especially the first 20 minutes was incredible.

moxdevil

Good result. Won the game in that 20 mins spell at the start of the 2nd half. Got a bit too passive after that which let Bournemouth have a few chances. Need to win games until the performances come.

Good things happen when the ball is at Zlatan's feet - lesson get the ball to Zlatan's feet.

ChaddyP

Even with Mata, we are no longer a team of Pussys. We are a team of brutes and I love it. They are going to hate us :devil:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Blind was orgasmic, just kept stripping them of attacks so effortlessly. First half was shite, but otherwise very happy. Come on Fellaini show the Booboys you belong here.

Carolina Red

Staff
The team is going to take a little while to really come together, yet we were still able to put 3 in away. Not too bad!

Pleasantly surprised by Fellaini today. He looked like a real footballer playing the clean up role in front of the defense. He was all over the place breaking up Bournemouth's play.

Rooney, despite the goal, is a liability on the field. Would love to see Pogba come in and push him out.

preccy90

Excellent! Over the moon with that. Very solid defensively and some good football.

The biggest difference from Van Gaal's reign is that we didn't panic when Bournemouth scored, we might have conceded another and put more pressure on ourselves in that situation last season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And to think we have Pogba, Mkhitaryan (with more minutes), Carrick, Smalling, Rashford etc to add in from the bench or starting 11 (in place of Rooney...). Great start. We're going to be class I think

Ixion

This was the sort of game Van Gaal just couldn't figure out, the smaller sides away from home who can be difficult to break down.

reddevil702

I think our CM pairing will be Fellaini and Pogba next game which will give us great size. Also maybe Jose is bringing Miki on slowly to allow him to adapt and relieve him of any pressure.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bailley is an animal. Zlatan just adds the X-factor and Wayne Rooney... on his way to becoming the most overpaid athlete in the history of sports? What a clown.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Best away performance I have seen in a while. Good movement up front.

dove

Can't ask for more at this stage of the season as all teams usually struggle (except Arsenal, lol). I never felt we were in danger of losing the match though. Very solid defensively, need to work a bit on attacking play but it will take time for the players to forget everything LVG told them last season :D The biggest problem will be Rooney, he was absolutely terrible even though he managed to score a goal...

oncehorowitz

Very happy. First game of the season, no Pogba, no Smalling, Micki not (yet) starting, Rooney still in the team. We can only get better!

WyoManU

Decent overall performance, though far from convincing. Very happy to get 3 points away to get our campaign off the ground.

Defensively we were good. Bailly and Blind were both very good. Bailly was myt MotM. Shaw and Valencia had a few small mistakes, though did well enough. Would've liked to see them both get forward more but maybe Jose told them not to.

Fellaini and Ander were both okay. I thought defensively Fellaini did well, but didn't get involved going forward. Herrera seems to want to play it backwards too much but showed some signs of evolving out of the LVG mentality. Mata was underwhelming. Gifted a goal, but otherwise doesn't do nearly enough for me. Martial has his moments where he looks threatening but he drifts out of games mentally at times and does not always do his defensive duties.

Rooney was absolutely awful in the first half. Did better in the second, but I still think he needs to be be benched. Ibra was missing for large spells of the match but you can see when chances comes he can provide a level of quality and composure that not many others can.

Miki didn't get as much times as I would have liked but I thought in a couple small patches of the play you could see he has got bags of talent. Put him into #10 role for Roo, bring in Pogba and Lingard with Rashford playing when speed is required and we will be a tough side to stop.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good match and specially the second half. Special mention to Fellaini, Valencia, Herrera and of course Bailly. Zlatan was Zlatan, a few nice touches and a goal.

Decent overall performance, though far from convincing. Very happy to get 3 points away to get our campaign off the ground.

Defensively we were good. Bailly and Blind were both very good. Bailly was myt MotM. Shaw and Valencia had a few small mistakes, though did well enough. Would've liked to see them both get forward more but maybe Jose told them not to.

Fellaini and Ander were both okay. I thought defensively Fellaini did well, but didn't get involved going forward. Herrera seems to want to play it backwards too much but showed some signs of evolving out of the LVG mentality. Mata was underwhelming. Gifted a goal, but otherwise doesn't do nearly enough for me. Martial has his moments where he looks threatening but he drifts out of games mentally at times and does not always do his defensive duties.

Rooney was absolutely awful in the first half. Did better in the second, but I still think he needs to be be benched. Ibra was missing for large spells of the match but you can see when chances comes he can provide a level of quality and composure that not many others can.

Miki didn't get as much times as I would have liked but I thought in a couple small patches of the play you could see he has got bags of talent. Put him into #10 role for Roo, bring in Pogba and Lingard with Rashford playing when speed is required and we will be a tough side to stop.
Particularly when he was closed by 2-3 players close to touchline and he still nutmegged his way out of there.

Dumbat12

Jose should really just drop Rooney, this is unbearable. Doesn't even look like a professional footballer.

krazyrobus

Typical Mou match. Don't expect anything fantasy, just very functional.

Bailly looked good, shades of Smalling's beast mode at the beginning of last season.
Blind also had a good match as well, very assured in the tackle, didn't struggle too much in the air.
Valencia was good in the 1st half, muted in the 2nd half
Shaw had a nothing game, he and Martial just have no chemistry, not like the instant one he and Depay had.

Fellaini had a good match, cleaned up everything in the middle and even somethings earlier, like a Busquets could.
Herrera was ok, grew into the match, I enjoyed his spraying of passes at the end, let's hope that development continues
Martial was non-existent, he did have a quick change of pace to open up Rooney's chance where he dived.
Mata was also alright.

Ibra was Ibra, enough said!
Rooney was bleh, minus the goal and his rating would go from a 6 to a 2.

DeafMUFC

Great performance considering disrupted pre season. Solid overall too.

Some really quick interchanges all over the pitch, direct at times too which was refreshing!

feckin made up

Minimalist

Dire first half. Second half improved and was a bit more open.

Still poor as an attacking unit to me despite the three goals scored.

Lot of work still to do.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Impressed with Wayne being able to pronounce all those new signings. Thick cnut.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Satisfied with the result. I would've taken a scrappy 1-0 in our first game. Ibra has the potential to be brilliant for us he just needs someone more decisive behind him eg pogba, miki, mata.

Worried about martial though his problems seem to be weighing heavy might be worth going him next match off.

Rooney was typical Rooney just complete crap.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 976 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Bournemouth 0:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd