PL W FA Premier League

Bournemouth 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 April 2018

MrBest

Good win away from home. Nothing special but was what we needed after that gutless defeat at West Brom. Pogba was good, not extraordinary as the pundits made out. Ander was excellent and kept things ticking.he allowed pogba the freedom he needed and with martial and rashford out there, it just worked. For me personally, Sanchez does not fit into this team and i would much rather see martial rashford and lukaku as the front 3 and pogba in that advance role with matic and Ander playing deeper.

davidmichael

Rashford and Martial play and the team is much more fluid and faster going forward, I think going forward those two along with Lingard and Lukaku need to be the first choice trio up top with Sanchez playing his way into form as he’s been piss poor since signing for us and name value and high wages shouldn’t ever guarantee a starting spot for us as already proven with Pogba.

Herrera has played his way into form and we look a lot more solid in midfield with Herrera alongside Matic and Pogba freed up to support the front three, if we stick with this formation going forward we will see continuity in the team and hopefully we won’t be so disjointed and static in attack as the players will know how to link up properly.

Gordon S

Actually enjoyed that game. Love watching Martial play, his dribbling is electric at times. Sad he can't get that final ball right more often, shades of Welbeck in the box. I would still pick him over Sanchez as a lw every time.
Herrera very good again, showing same form he had last year, very important for the run in.

Darmian is just a poor fullback, how he managed to stay here for three seasons is beyond me.

Andersons Dietician

:confused:
It’s like he wants people to think he’s a twat.

Anyway, actually thought the game was better than what we’ve seen recently. Still room to improve but it just seemed to have more life in it. Seeing Rashford and Martial going at people and being further up the pitch is just a joy to watch.

bdspeedy

Even if today's lineup was an advert for the "on their way out" players, the only one I wouldn't mind leaving is Darmian. I think the rest should stay at least another year to see if they can coalesce with the team. I think they all played well enough to stay and fight for a spot on this team. Martial, Shaw, Fellaini, Jones, Smalling, Pogba did fine. The other one, Blind didn't do much except provide a little humor with his howler but I think he is a good squad player.

Reactions: Penna

maverickjesus

Still don't think Shaw has a future here. Once you take off the 'future England international' goggles he looks piss poor and woefully unfit for a player at this level. I just can't see how Jose will stand for tolerate this beyond this season.

Acole9

Outstanding
A nice win to put the smiles back on faces and give us a boost for Saturday. Interesting team selection, a lot of players with a point to prove and some we haven't seen for a while. We played with real purpose too, not too many long balls, a few needless hoofs out of our box but that was it.

promisedlanchiao

0-2, good win and response to the west brom game.

People need to take off their knife tinted glasses when analyzing players like Darmian and Jones, thought both were good tonight. Felt that the likes of Lukaku, Pogba, Herrera, Smalling, Shaw and Lingard also all played well tonight.

automaticflare

Still don't think Shaw has a future here. Once you take off the 'future England international' goggles he looks piss poor and woefully unfit for a player at this level. I just can't see how Jose will stand for tolerate this beyond this season.
Blind is miles better left full

caid

We got the win but thought that was pretty poor really. Don't think any of the players who haven't played recently did themselves any favours.
De Gea, Smalling and Lingard were good ... and thats about it. Thought Hererra was mostly good but needing a couple of chances to clear the ball early in the first half and playing too deep and other really small, nitpicking stuff (like his shooting) just dragged his performance down a bit to ok for me. Pogba also good in parts but still overcomplicating and making life difficult for himself in others. Fellaini was anonymous. Rashford was ok. Martial was awful, that performance would put him to the back of the queue for me. He improved towards the end of the game but his energy and workrate weren't good enough and his touch was off most of the night. Shaw was awful, Darmian was marginally better. Jones still looks like he'll cough up the odd chance from nothing. I felt sorry for Blind ...
I think we'll play pretty much the same team as we did against City. No one did enough to push players ahead of them out of the team.

soccerMad

Good solid win, three points in the bag. Think that is enough for us to consolidate second place. Don't see how we could lose this.

Well done lads. Keep it up and move on to Saturday game.

:devil:

ash_86

Very glad about our performance tonight. There was real urgency with and without the ball, not for 45 min but the whole game. The players absolutely played their part , from Pogba keeping it simple to Martial's 90'th min tracking back and block was a joy to watch. Thought our attack looked disjointed at times, the intent to attack and not ponder with the ball is definitely in the right direction.

Marcky411

That front 3 that ended the game should start at Wembley.

Far better shape to the team.
Fully agree, Sanchez mustn't come close to the team, he slows things down and gives away possession constantly. At the moment Sanchez isn't a wiff of the player we all thought we were getting, he's slow and indecisive and always comes in to the centre instead of staying out wide on his favourite left, leaving Young to man the whole left hand side on his own.

Marcky411

Wasn't the best level of football but I sure as hell didn't miss watching Sanchez hijack every attack to force telegraphed lobs
:lol: Didn't miss him at all. In actual fact that displayed showed how much of a disruption he is to the team.
I really hope he doesn't start on Saturday.

Marcky411

Really curious to see how Jose is going to set up for Saturday. If he goes with his favourite 4-2-3-1 we are going to get spanked the same way we got spank the last time we played Tottenham. I Sanchez comes back into the team and Pogba plays DM with Matic, it will be a done deal for Tottenham.

Craig Ward

With the constant over analysing of Pogba and comments from media and fans, I thought he was very good tonight. He kept it simple and looked more composed than he has done of late. It wasn't perfect, but it's never going to be. It was what the team needed and that's all that matters.

2 massive things to note that I feel massively improved us:
1) No Sanchez
2) 3 man midfield

I thought with the changes, the players played with purpose and showed good desire to get the job done.

All in all a good night, a team that can cause problems on their day we made the job look very easy.

We look so much better with movement up top, martial, rashford, lingard were good with pogba driving on.

Sanchez hasn't clicked and mata, while a brilliant player doesn't offer the pace, movement or speed of play that these guys can.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
With the constant over analysing of Pogba and comments from media and fans, I thought he was very good tonight. He kept it simple and looked more composed than he has done of late. It wasn't perfect, but it's never going to be. It was what the team needed and that's all that matters.

1) No Sanchez
2) 3 man midfield

I thought with the changes, the players played with purpose and showed good desire to get the job done.

All in all a good night, a team that can cause problems on their day we made the job look very easy.

We look so much better with movement up top, martial, rashford, lingard were good with pogba driving on.

Sanchez hasn't clicked and mata, while a brilliant player doesn't offer the pace, movement or speed of play that these guys can.
It was like that a while back.

He will come good but we just need to find the best system for him to fit into, not ditch what was making us successful.
He played the second half really well at City-let's not forget that

MUFC OK

I've been harping on for weeks about how we don't get to the byline enough and how the lack of attacking endeavour from our fullbacks is stifling our attacking play.

It wasn't a fullback who did it last night, but Herreras ball to Lingard and Lingards assist to Smalling is exactly what I'm talking about. It's so hard to defend against and creates a great goal scoring opportunity. I've seen fans saying 'that move was like Barcelona', when actually it's pretty simple and used to be a staple of our attacking play.

Alex Sandro or a similar attacking LB and a RB are priorities this summer.

backtowhiteside

Christ, you lot are so soft can't believe this used to be Fergie's gaff. He's winding them up to crave winning. Done it at most of his jobs.
Exactly. These Jose haters must have had a real problem with Fergie. I remember Fergie being at war with the press. Jose is not the problem here. The problem is the Man Utd/Jose hating press. Stand by our manager, he's winning us titles.

stu_1992

Decent game last night. A solid win with a decent performance. Can't really complain with a 2-0 win away from home against anyone. I'm relieved the players actually looked like they were bothered last night as I was fearing another game the standard of Sunday. Both goals were very nice moves I thought.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

1) No Sanchez
2) 3 man midfield

I don't think we massively improved. It wasn't our worst game by any stretch and there was more movement than in some other matches, but many of the same failings (poor coordination, lack of intensity, poor chance creation) were still evident. Still needed a bit of luck to win given that Bournemouth could have had a penalty. It's unfair to criticise last night's performance given that it was a heavily rotated team, but we shouldn't exaggerate their performance either.

Regarding your bolded points:
1) Realise I'm going against the flow here, but I think Sanchez is becoming a scapegoat of sorts. Hard to say his absence "massively improved" the team when the performance doesn't support that claim. He's been in poor form, but the larger issue with him also applies to all our attacking players in general - there's just too little coordination between them. Our best attacking performance in recent months was the 1st half against Swansea, and that involved Sanchez and Mata while excluding Martial and Rashford.

2) The 3 man midfield didn't really do much in my opinion. Herrera had a very good game, but Bournemouth were still cutting through our midfield too many times for comfort. Again in their defence, it was a heavily rotated team so couldn't expect too much, but that performance alone doesn't really show anything conclusive.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Exactly. These Jose haters must have had a real problem with Fergie. I remember Fergie being at war with the press. Jose is not the problem here. The problem is the Man Utd/Jose hating press. Stand by our manager, he's winning us titles.
I see! The press are the ones to blame for some really tepid performances.

Plus I'd like to know exactly how many titles he's won us?

Katalinski

21:51
Shaw foul on Wilson being debated
Bournemouth wanted a penalty and the discussion in the studio is that Shaw should have been sent off and a spot kick should have been given.

‘A perfect reason why VAR is needed’ says Graham Poll on BT Sport.
Says the ref who gave three yellow cards to a player at the WC. Was it Simunic?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Intersting has this site make Pogba MoM with 36% of the vote and Anders second with,.. wait for it 36%!

NinjaFletch

PK for me and probably a red card.
I think it falls into the category of 'you've seen them given', but I don't think it's a blatant pen as BT Sport were making out. Certainly I wouldn't have had too many complaints if it were given (and agree with your assessment that it would have had to have been a red card then), but I do feel that that was a fairly normal piece of 'dark arts' defending when players get the wrong side and I can't really remember people unanimously demanding red cards and penalties for it in the past.

Handsome Devil

Regarding the "penalty" debate. After suffering a commentator who keeps referring to some guy called Mor-een-ee-o throughout the match, you just change channels at final whistle and avoid all the post match BT Sport drivel. It's that simple.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Bournemouth 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd