PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 5:2 Bournemouth

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 July 2020

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We have a team. We have a style developing and this crop of players is a fecking brilliant foundation going forward.

Oles doing a great job right now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood. Those are our quality players. We can and should improve everywhere else.

Adamsk7

Easily the third best team in the league overall and in form, currently the best! A good feeling!

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, we should be very positive going in to the new campaign. We aren’t far away - maybe just 3-4 players for the squad overall so we can get rid of our last bit of remaining deadwood.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fantastic going forward but gave away two stupid goals. Matic should have closed down the cross, Maguire gets nutmegged, and then to cap it off De Gea once again doesn't know his angles. Should have been a routine save. And then the second goal. Wow. Not convinced it was a penalty but given none the less. My only question on that would be if a penalty is given because of a shoulder, then shouldn't Rashford also be onside for his goal seeing as it was his shoulder that was offside? You can only be offside with parts of the body you are allowed to play the ball with. And what about Mason Greenwood? All this talk about Sancho and we may already have our left winger. Of course that doesn't mean I'm saying don't buy Sancho. Great game though and could have easily been 7 or 8 goals...

TsuWave

Greenwood is Cell saga Gohan

We now have two 20 goals a season attackers

Bruno is brilliant

Bailly is the best partner for Maguire that we have

fps

Super entertaining. Man Utd might be worth their FIFA ratings next season.

theklr

I completely blame Matic for the pen, the pass was atrociously bad. Want to think that Ole subbed him off soon after that in recognition of that.
Was just a normal sub to keep his leg fresh

HarryRedCrumbs

Some ridiculous mistakes which we just should not be making... but absolutely love the way we play these days. When Martial is smiling, you know it’s a good day. Well played.

tjb

I want to see Fred start one of the home games instead of Matic to see if they can interchange without it causing a difference. If it works, then we have a solution in that role for a few years.

There are two key things we need in order to be certain contenders for ALL ( yes UCL) competitions next season. The first is an attacker that can play attacking midfield or on the flanks either in reserve or as a starter. Grealish can do this as a starter for one of the front 3, at this point I don't know who, but competition for places should be welcomed...or we can sign a player like Buendia who may not have that level of quality as Grealish, but would come cheaper and would be able to replicate elements of Bruno if he needs a rest or gets injured.

As good as we are looking in attack and as good as we have been in defence for most of the season, we still have one particular issue. The pace and heading ability of the partner working with Macguire. I had hoped that Tuanzebe could come in and seal that position, but chances are that will not happen. Since this is the case, signing a player like Ake would complete annihilate the majority of individual defensive errors from our defence borne from not being able to deal with headers from long balls or mistakes at the back. Macguire has contributed to a few, but I feel he is put under pressure from his partners rather than himself the majority of the time.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Great attack, shit defense, good results, but Leicester keeps their distance.

How is Chelsea's schedule?
Tougher than ours.

They have City away, we have Leicester away at the end

bondsname

Brilliant attacking performance. The defense need sorting out though.

I thought we played into Bournemouths hands a few times but in the end we had more quality and the scoreline flattered them. Could easily been 7 or 8 goals.

Lj82

That was entertaining. Even the subs did well. We kept going at Bournemouth and ran them ragged. Our fitness level is so much more superior, day and night compared to last season!

My only Eric

Good game. Brilliant attack, defence needs a talking to.
Greenwood class. Tony class. Bruno class. Shaw improved a lot. Wan Bissaka improved his attack.
DDG needs to get his head right.

Bring in a few more quality players to this team and we will dominate the league.

sport2793

Was just a normal sub to keep his leg fresh
Ya I agree, Ole isn't impulsive like that, still though I felt Matic was poor in both goals (not stopping the cross into the box for the 1st).

Revan

Assumptionman
Tougher than ours.

They have City away, we have Leicester away at the end
Cool. Suddenly it looks good. If we can defeat Leicester, and make no more than a mistake in the other games, we should have it in bad. Leicester is not going to get more than 7 points IMO (from the other 4 matches). If we get 13, we will get Europe (and probably 3rd place too if Chelsea does some mistakes).

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Fantastic attack, shaky defence. Mason was unreal. DDG looks really off form. Might be worth giving him a break

Walters_19_MuFc

Despite a bit of a slow start, once we conceded, I never really panicked as I knew we had the firepower to damage Bournemouth and that's what happened.

Wasn't happy with our defending today - some sloppy mistakes, but apart from today, we've been pretty solid so not something I'm worried about.

Overall, another solid display and some great goals.

Not sure which goal I prefer out of Greenwood's second or Martial's goal. Two phenomenal goals.

edcunited1878

That was lethal and clinical finishing. The passing by AWB and others going into the final 3rd was top class and fashioned around 10 good chances even if a few were marginally offside.

But that was sloppy. The backline and midfield weren't as tidy or crisp, but they pushed on and punished Bournemouth with goals.

Need to rest up and be better. Bournemouth provided a good test today and probably played as well as they have for a while but were undone by class goals, and that happens.

Rafaeldagold

Greenwood is a Gem & front line looks great. But we didn’t play as well today as we have done previously, didn’t look structured at all.

And DDG was terrible for the goal & awful kicking today too- he needs to be replaced for next season

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
We looked better with Bailly and Maguire. Don't care what anyone says
Apart from the first few minutes of the second half, we did look more solid. Very poor play from Lindelof, AWB, Maguire and DDG for the first goal, and Maguire and Matic for the second. Bailly could have let it run for a corner, but it did look like shoulder not arm, but in a way that is good, as it will (hopefully) show that we are still not there yet, we still have a lot to work on. The rest of the teams we play will definitely come at us, I hope the defence is on their game. Though Fred looked very good when he came on.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Lindelof is like a deer in headlights, can't probe or pass at all.

I think as an opposition you'd love to have Lindelof on the ball he poses no threat whatsoever, and even from set-pieces you wouldn't fear him from corners at all.

Definitely needs someone to partner Maguire, but arguably you want someone even better than Maguire to challenge him and push him on, because Maguire at times gets beaten.

My major concerns with the team currently are DDG, Lindelof and at times Maguire.

goatboy

Aside from the opening 10 minutes or so of each half I thought we controlled the game superbly;
Negatives: De Gea is increasingly looking like a liability and Maguire still has too many sloppy moments to maintain club captaincy status.
Positives: We look like we can (and will) score for fun, I think we responded much better than we did earlier in the season to going behind, Pogba looks to be benefiting from being an important piece of the jigsaw as opposed to the fulcrum of attack and defence, Greenwood looks the business :drool: Fernandes looks like he's been playing for us all season (why on earth wasn't he?!) and the options coming off the bench are, in midfield and attack, doing a decent job for us.
Overall I'm coming to the view that Ole deserves the opportunity to bring in a couple of additional players and would be happy with him leading the team again next season, irrespective of how the season ultimately pans out.

EC689908

Where to start analysing a game like that?! Some stunning goals got us out of a bit of trouble (both of Mason's in particular). Martial, Greenwood and Fernandes all scoring great goals made that game a lot of fun to watch though!

However, the first 5-10 minutes of the second half was unacceptable, all started by a horrific pass by Maguire that we were lucky did not lead to a goal. The penalty was very harsh but we almost deserved for it to be given considering the very stupid things we were doing. Matic's passing had been a bit off I felt most of the game but I don't think Bailly should get too much flack,

Greenwood's two goals were absolutely stunning, just feed him chances and he will score! Whilst Rashford's goal was from the penalty spot, I thought his overall performance was still comfortably his best since the restart and unlucky that he was a smidge offside denying him a 2nd goal.

Fred did well when he came on as well I thought.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Frustrating at times, with stupid mistakes at the back, but over the moon with scoring five. Mason's finishing is superb. Would have loved to see Pogba score.

Fracture90

Entertaining game, brilliant performance from some players, disappointing from some as well.

Feels so good not having to dread if we go a goal down.

zenith

Those front 5 looks scary as hell. Only a matter of time before a team like that scores.

Brilliant to watch and enjoyed every minute. Hope to god we keep this up

Yagami

Good post resistant
1-0 down to winning 5-2. You wouldn't have expected that in recent years. Just brilliant!

tjb

They aren't shite
That was a crazy game of football, it could have ended 10-4!

Possibly Maguire's worst game of the season, Bailly almost cost us the game and De Gea's distribution got us in trouble a few times. However we did score 5 goals, our attack was superb today, Rashford is getting sharper and had a good game, Martial scored a beauty and Greenwood was unbelievable. Greenwood didn't just score twice but it was two very important goals, the last of which was very much an individual effort, this kid is destined for glory.

Very positive game going forwards but at the back we made it hard work, if we played a better team we might have been caught out today. We will need to take this on board going forwards.
It's a little annoying how people still don't recognize the load Macguire has to carry in defence. He's literally carrying Lindelof on his back. All lindelof has to do in games is make one or two timely interceptions when the ball is deep in the box, other than that, AWB and Macguire constantly have to cover him. His heading ability hasn't improved and he constantly gets beaten which is responsible for the majority of counter opportunities we concede. No strength, no pace and he doesn't make the forward passes we were promised. Yet people want to crucify Macguire for slipping up. Unfortunately for him, unlike his partner, when he messes up, he has noone to cover for him.

Icemav

That was a crazy game of football, it could have ended 10-4!

Possibly Maguire's worst game of the season, Bailly almost cost us the game and De Gea's distribution got us in trouble a few times. However we did score 5 goals, our attack was superb today, Rashford is getting sharper and had a good game, Martial scored a beauty and Greenwood was unbelievable. Greenwood didn't just score twice but it was two very important goals, the last of which was very much an individual effort, this kid is destined for glory.

Very positive game going forwards but at the back we made it hard work, if we played a better team we might have been caught out today. We will need to take this on board going forwards.
Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood. Those are our quality players. We can and should improve everywhere else.
Don't forget Matic, Rashford (form improving), and Shaw. AWB also developing really well. And Mcguire really good when in possession.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Loved it. That was a proper go on then, score, well score more. I'm partying tonight.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 81% of 383 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw