PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 5:2 Bournemouth

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 July 2020

OleTheGreat

That Greenwood is some player. I'm enjoying watching him play. I think he is far better than James and i've been pitching for him to play on the right from the day he was part of the first team. The kid is just smooth and the fact that he uses both foot to strike the football so clean is mesmerizing. I loved every goal we put in today but i think De Gea shouldn't have let the first goal creep in and that Bailly hand-ball call was a mistake, looked like the top of the shoulder. Anyway, i'm really happy with the performance of everybody and we could've actually scored many more but resisted at times. Bournemouth were all over the place.

Icemav

Fantastic attack, shaky defence. Mason was unreal. DDG looks really off form. Might be worth giving him a break
Sadly I don't know if you can 'rest' a goalie of his stature. he doesn't deserve to be starting for a top club at the moment thats for sure.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Insane match.

Started slowly, half-asleep and no rhythm.

Defence was determined to concede goals but the attack always look like scoring when they get going.

Greenwood excellent, he's going to be a massive star, Bruno great gain.

Lindelof is the weak link in this team, I know Maguire and DDG were poor but Lindelof gives me zero confidence. So slow and makes wrong decisions , called Maguire to leave the cross for the first goal.
Matic had a good game going forward but not so good going backwards and suicidal ball towards Bailly for their penalty.

Anyway focus on the positives, could have been any score and another win plus scored 5 in the league at home for the first time since 2011 I believe.
Greenwood's and Martial's strikes sublime, Bruno great free kick.

James and Fred did fine when coming on.

Need to prioritise another CB this summer.

Who needs to defend when you can attack like that? :D

We are very fragile at the back: De Gea just isn't himself; Maguire is bang average. However, it's much better going forward; the play is slick and incisive, with far less playing around on the edge of box. Fernandes can take much of the credit for that; he's a tremendous signing. We must tighten up and improve our defence in the next transfer window.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood. Those are our quality players. We can and should improve everywhere else.
Rashford shouldn't be left off this list.

Wan Bissaka and Maguire are among the best in their position in the league too.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not a lot to be gained by analysing that game. Just sit back, enjoy it, and realise that we haven't had this good a team in quite a few years.

Shame we couldn't have added a few more goals, but when your feeling dissatisfied with 5 you know you've just watched a good performance.

Can't wait for the next game. Greenwood is fast becoming my favourite player. He'll break Rooneys United and England scoring records.

ChaddyP

Looked like we were gonna score 10 goals and concede 5. Fantastic game. Love watching this team

tjb

He should be canned. 6 months of poor form is fine considering his class and past performances. 2 years is not.

We are becoming known as a team with lethal attack, pretty good but immobile defense, and a shit keeper. Seriously. A shit keeper.
We still need to have a bit of faith in him, regardless of his stupidly high wages. Maybe we bring back Henderson to compete with him next season, but i've never been a fan of competing keepers. For me it unbalances the defence.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Back to the days where despite going a goal down you knew we'd come back strong.

Appalling defending at times, Maguire and De Gea for the first goal, Bailly and Matic's nonsense between them for the pen give away.
A few other ropey moments.

But going the other way, superb.

Whisper it, but this feels a bit like Liverpool at the start of them becoming an absolute machine.

BlahRules

if we played them with the players we played last time we would have lost easily. Luckily we have so much attacking talent they could not park the bus.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think we are a season away from competing for the League but we have plenty of time. Just need squad depth so there isn't a huge drop off with any key injuries.

Bruno's only 25. The front 3 attackers are very very young as far as strikers go.

Okey

I hope Ole had some very strong words after that game, like Fergie would. Some really really sloppy patches that stained an otherwise brilliant performance. You can't have those if you wanna be at the top. Hopefully they sort that out for the weekend against another side battling for survival, at their own stadium this time, also probably following another big loss. Rant over. Time to go drink to another victory!

Acquire Me

We are 3 points off Leicester. And we play them in the last game. Meaning - if we win all remaining games (and depending on what Chelsea does), we could finish 3rd. Just think about that! Who would think about it being even a remote possibility, before Bruno's arrival?

Obviously, I don't know a single fan who wouldn't be ecstatic with 4th, as well, and that also requires a lot of work and luck, but just saying - 3rd place is still theoretically possible!

Awesome game today.
Leicester will be out of top 4 before we meet them.

Great game once again. We are killer in attack. Defence need to sort themselves.

SirAnderson

While the penalty was super harsh, Bailly should have let it go out imo. But it was almost natural instinct. Stupid pass back.
Sadly, De Gea had quite a number of errors, and I really don't see why Romero can't start against Villa just to light a fire in De Gea and he can still start the game after that!
If we started off properly, probably none of the sloppiness would have kicked in, but its no biggy.

Other than that, can't fault our attack and midfielders today, they were superb, best post Fergie ever for me right now.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Another good win.
Great to be scoring goals again.
Mason is a gem.
Mason, Marcus, Tony, Paul P and Bruno are as good as anyone else has.
We are good to watch again.
We have concentration issues in my opinion. We need that Keane type boss on the field to make sure everyone is switched on.
The overreactions of some on the match day thread when we concede are hilarious. I would not like to be stuck in a trench with some of you guys!

gorky_utd

Started very poorly. But the attack changed the game quickly. Really love the fluidity in midfield and attack. Greenwood motm. Still, very poor defensive performance.

Shimo

Still pissed at how Rashford's "second" was deemed offside after VAR check - at least with what they showed on the broadcast. AWB's crossing is becoming very effective and on the other side Shaw is doing really well in his overlap/underlapping runs.

Martial and Rashford both on 20 goals for the season and easy to forget that both have had extended periods out and playing in side that was failing to create for the first half of the season. Mason is just WOW !

If we can maintain this kind of consistency next season against teams we are supposed to beat and we add Sancho - we will be right up there with 85+ point mark - question is will Liverpool be able to pull another 95-100 point season.

DSG

Insane match.

Started slowly, half-asleep and no rhythm.

Defence was determined to concede goals but the attack always look like scoring when they get going.

Greenwood excellent, he's going to be a massive star, Bruno great gain.

Lindelof is the weak link in this team, I know Maguire and DDG were poor but Lindelof gives me zero confidence. So slow and makes wrong decisions , called Maguire to leave the cross for the first goal.
Matic had a good game going forward but not so good going backwards and suicidal ball towards Bailly for their penalty.

Anyway focus on the positives, could have been any score and another win plus scored 5 in the league at home for the first time since 2011 I believe.
Greenwood's and Martial's strikes sublime, Bruno great free kick.

James and Fred did fine when coming on.

Need to prioritise another CB this summer.
I think the criticism of Lindelof is unfair. A lot of criticism of Shaw on the Caf as well. Also unfair. Let’s be honest, Maguire should have done better, was nutmegged, DeGea should not have been beaten at the near post. Brilliant play by Stanislas, you have to give him credit.

Bailly is athletic, but is very very limited in build up play. He also has a mistake in him every match. Do we need another ball playing CB? Absolutely. The unholy triumvirate of Bailly, Rojo and Jones just aren’t dependable enough to rotate. Where is Tuanzebe?

Mason... MOTM for me again. Of course Bruno is excellent, probably could be MOTM every game, but our confidence really took a jump after Mason scores.

jackal&hyde

Ha! But someone like him, fast, strong, great in the air, good at 1v1, but can concentrate.
Fast and good in the air yes, can't play football though. A mix between Lindelof and Smaling would be great. Doesn't matter though. This team is great. We need competent backup for Bruno and Pogba. We concede the odd dumb goal but we score all day. This is Man Utd :devil:

Icemav

We still need to have a bit of faith in him, regardless of his stupidly high wages. Maybe we bring back Henderson to compete with him next season, but i've never been a fan of competing keepers. For me it unbalances the defence.
I don't know much about Henderson but its clear that we need a keeper compatible with possession football.

I had a lot of faith in DDG. He was a wall for us at a time when others were poor. Now he is the weakness. Can't take command of games and only seems comfortable diving at top corner shots. This is the biggest issue. We need a strong strong presence in goal and he has lost all semblance of that.

That aside very poor decision making. Poor distribution. Frequent simple blunders. And the odd great save. Sadly that is not good enough.

I don't like throwing players under the bus though. Reality is that we will place trust in him for the remainder of the season and probably next season too. So we can only wish him well. However behind the scenes I hope there is not too much ego pampering because he needs a lot of tough love to raise him standard to the requisite level. Or perhaps he needs he needs gentle whispers and hugs? Anyway whatever it takes to improve thing. The team wants to succeed and fine margin etc etc.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What a joy to watch yet again.

Mason Greenwood just wow! The whole front three are symbiotic at times it’s crazy.

This is the Manchester United we all want to see attacking football, outstanding youth players and taking risks!

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
De gea is truly off form

Those of you calling him shit thought.... the caf never changes :lol:

Strelok

What did he genuinely do wrong today?

The penalty wasn't his fault
Not all his fault. A sound defender would not try to keep possession in a situation like that. And he has no positional awareness either. Bailly is a strong CB, but he plays to his natural instinct too much. Not a fast thinker.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Fast and good in the air yes, can't play football though. A mix between Lindelof and Smaling would be great. Doesn't matter though. This team is great. We need competent backup for Bruno and Pogba. We concede the odd dumb goal but we score all day. This is Man Utd :devil:
Haha :devil:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I think the criticism of Lindelof is unfair. A lot of criticism of Shaw on the Caf as well. Also unfair. Let’s be honest, Maguire should have done better, was nutmegged, DeGea should not have been beaten at the near post. Brilliant play by Stanislas, you have to give him credit.

Bailly is athletic, but is very very limited in build up play. He also has a mistake in him every match. Do we need another ball playing CB? Absolutely. The unholy triumvirate of Bailly, Rojo and Jones just aren’t dependable enough to rotate. Where is Tuanzebe?

Mason... MOTM for me again. Of course Bruno is excellent, probably could be MOTM every game, but our confidence really took a jump after Mason scores.
Yes DDG and Maguire were poor as I said, Shaw I have no problem with. Regarding Lindelof I don't just mean this match, he has never given me confidence, seems unaware of danger consistently and is too slow and not that good in the air plus his passing is over-rated. We need a big upgrade if we're going to be challenging.
Tuanzebe's always injured and not ready yet. Imo CB is the no.1 position for us to get in the transfer window. - someone calm, speedy and tactically aware.

Joseunited

If Baillly stays fit he's more than good enough to partner Maguire at the back. Really enjoyable game, the goals are flowing now.Long may it continue.

mancan92

Not all his fault. A sound defender would not try to keep possession in a situation like that. And he has no positional awareness either. Bailly is a strong CB, but he plays to his natural instinct too much. Not a fast thinker.
It wasn't his fault at all. Terrible pass and it didn't even hit his hand.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As long as we're scoring, nothing will stop us to the rest of the season, but that defensive block really needs some adjustments.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That was genuinely great. Someone needs to start investing in the building materials for the Greenwood statue.

POF

Another fantastic performance offensively. That was a game they would have struggled to win earlier in the season after going behind. They'd basically won it by half time.

The defence is still a major worry. 2 horrendous goals defensively and Bournemouth would have equalised but for a very naive attacker running offside.

De Gea looks jittery, Maguire is so ponderous and Bailly . . . . . What was he thinking?

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 81% of 383 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw