PL L FA Premier League

Brentford 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 August 2022

croadyman

I honestly believe we are going to have to go down for things to get better as that will if something drastic happens remove these owners when sponsor after sponsor pulls out, its up to us fans now to Unite and force a removal by any means necessary
Yeah only relegation sees them leave

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It shows they have no composure. Somebody who has it, thinks about what is the correct pass. We pass first, think later and then blame the guy who loses the ball even though it was an impossible pass for them to deal with. That is why there is so much arm waving. If arm waving were a sport we would be world champions.
So true! :lol:

We really need to get rid of the serial offenders and move on somehow.

I still maintain that ETH would be better off integrating and using fringe and youth players as they would be more amenable to his instructions, and at least show some desire. I know it's a risk but our seniors are a lost cause. Everything starts with the right attitude and most of them don't have it. How can you build anything from that?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I still maintain that ETH would be better off integrating and using fringe and youth players as they would be more amenable to his instructions, and at least show some desire. I know it's a risk but our seniors are a lost cause. Everything starts with the right attitude and most of them don't have it. How can you build anything from that?
I would love to see kids get a chance, what does worry me is that we do not have players currently in that team to guide them. We lack a captain.

steffyr2

The 1st goal seemed kind of a fluke, a fumbled ball. I'm trying to figure out now how the 2nd goal happened.

I see the free kick at the top of the box. Doesn't DDG seem to be in the wrong place? Brentford should have scored right there. Why is that?

Anyway, we immediately give the ball away, I can see why. We seem to do only slow rolling passes that Brentford just runs onto why we stand and watch.

lex talionis

The transition from players who gave given up to hungry youth should begin but done carefully. We can’t chuck 5-6 newbies on the pitch all at once. But we can start taking baby steps. Garner instead of McTominay in the second half was an obvious one. Garnacho for Rashford. And although he’s not a newbie, Donny should have been brought on a lot earlier than the 85th minute. None of these changes would have affected the outcome of the game, but it would have allowed these players valuable minutes to make it possible to transition out underperforming players in the next few months.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I just watched the 4th goal again and DDG is partly at fault. If he comes off his line with intensity he would have had a chance to block the shot. I'm not sure how you can start a GK the next match when he was at fault for 2.5 goals.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The worst thing is my 9 year old lad last August finally started playing and watching football. The poor kid is getting torn apart by his mates. He is sticking with it though. I keep telling him it will get better, I'm not so sure it will...
I can well understand your frustration as a parent.
But it is all credit to your son that he has the strength of character to stick with Manchester United.

Every year I think that we have hit the bottom. And every year we sink even further.

But until the football club itself starts to understand the basics and do them properly, we will continue to drift down.
And just changing the manager is not going to stop the rot.
So your son is going to need a great deal of patience.

Maticmaker

I can well understand your frustration as a parent.
But it is all credit to your son that he has the strength of character to stick with Manchester United.

Every year I think that we have hit the bottom. And every year we sink even further.

But until the football club itself starts to understand the basics and do them properly, we will continue to drift down.
And just changing the manager is not going to stop the rot.
So your son is going to need a great deal of patience.
I agree with all this!
This is the true danger, young kids wanting to support the team their dad does, but having to face rival fans everyday at school, down the street, whatever, it will certainly build character.

Where ever you look at OT, the owners, the management, the players, even the ground...its all in torment. You have to ask yourself who would want to take it over, especially if they had done their 'due diligence'? The team can't win, top players wont come, the manager (I suspect) has only just realised he's (been listening to Steve Mclaren too much) and has bitten off more than he can chew!

What are the odds on Big Sam coming riding over the hill, if we are still in the bottom three at Christmas?

FerociousCorgis

U can see these players lack any belief right now and are feeling the pressure. Yes the first goal was a huge gaffe, but you could immediately see them just collapse mentally and at no point did it seem like there was any real belief in the game anymore

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
One thing I would say is Brentford's celebrating at the end was a joke - it was one game, not getting into Europe or winning the FA Cup. and it was against a piss poor United

redmanx

One thing I would say is Brentford's celebrating at the end was a joke - it was one game, not getting into Europe or winning the FA Cup. and it was against a piss poor United
But piss poor or not, it was against Manchester United, and with all due respect to teams like Brentford, beating United is as good as winning the FA Cup, or at least the next best thing.

NICanRed

Accidents happen so to go one goal down is unfortunate and manageable. But two, and three, and four is unbelievable!
That was bad enough and a stain on the defenders but the fact that we couldn’t even score one in response says little about our attack.
Is this all a reflection on the weakness of our midfield?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Watched Forest today thinking they would be bad and I think right now they are better than us. I think even Bournemouth's big strikers would bully us and they really are crap. Wonder how we can turn this around.

CtRafidah

But piss poor or not, it was against Manchester United, and with all due respect to teams like Brentford, beating United is as good as winning the FA Cup, or at least the next best thing.
Our reputation is still high and mighty compared to the wondering 9/10 years we are going through / gone through. Not surprised at all to see teams like Brighton whom can be poor week in week out, scraping the bottom or mid BUT play like a well oiled machine when facing, United. that's what you get when facing a dynasty that "was" soo big and strong, the boost, the morale the puffed up chest feeling they get beating the old alpha down dead. Emphasize on the past tense here.

Come next MD, the question would be where do we find that source of morale, coming short of ETH running out himself in a united short and playing himself that is. Do you beat the morale in these lads or gently pick them up and pat them in the back.

Last edited:

Beeboy

Supports
Brentford
We celebrate every win like that and have done since last season. Not just because we beat you.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree with all this!
This is the true danger, young kids wanting to support the team their dad does, but having to face rival fans everyday at school, down the street, whatever, it will certainly build character.

Where ever you look at OT, the owners, the management, the players, even the ground...its all in torment. You have to ask yourself who would want to take it over, especially if they had done their 'due diligence'? The team can't win, top players wont come, the manager (I suspect) has only just realised he's (been listening to Steve Mclaren too much) and has bitten off more than he can chew!

What are the odds on Big Sam coming riding over the hill, if we are still in the bottom three at Christmas?
Being a fan of Manchester United used to be a privilege and a huge amount of fun.
But as you correctly say, there is precious little fun and it is becoming tiresome at best.
My young grandson said to me at the start of the season that he was getting fed up with the players bad attitude. And his friends laugh at him for supporting United.

We have not yet hit the bottom. And the reason for that is that those running the club have zero idea what needs to be done. What needs to be done is a complete transformation of each and every department.
Until that happens, we can forget success.

Redfrog

109 km for Brentford, 95 km for United. Each Brentford player covered, on average 14.7 % more ground than United players. Damning.
So they basically had 1 and a half player more on the pitch !

redmanx

Our reputation is still high and mighty compared to the wondering 9/10 years we are going through / gone through. Not surprised at all to see teams like Brighton whom can be poor week in week out, scraping the bottom or mid BUT play like a well oiled machine when facing, United. that's what you get when facing a dynasty that "was" soo big and strong, the boost, the morale the puffed up chest feeling they get beating the old alpha down dead. Emphasize on the past tense here.

Come next MD, the question would be where do we find that source of morale, coming short of ETH running out himself in a united short and playing himself that is. Do you beat the morale in these lads or gently pick them up and pat them in the back.
The worst thing is that very soon, beating Manchester United wont mean half as much because the opposition and their supporters will expect to beat us.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
You'll be thinking, oh here's one of those doom mongers that redcafe is famous for. If you go back over my posting history I've supported every manager until right near the end and I am very pro Ten Hag.

These charlatan players have destroyed my faith beyond any redemption.

I'd rather see the u23s play the rest of the season than see any of them bar Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez in a United shirt again.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
You'll be thinking, oh here's one of those doom mongers that redcafe is famous for. If you go back over my posting history I've supported every manager until right near the end and I am very pro Ten Hag.

These charlatan players have destroyed my faith beyond any redemption.

I'd rather see the u23s play the rest of the season than see any of them bar Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez in a United shirt again.
They are charlatans, I agree on that. We'll be battling out for 7th or 8th, not relegation.

NICanRed

Just a suggestion............! Get rid of that awful kit. I know we can't play on red all the time but puke green just isn't my Manchester United.

Longshanks

Hopefully some lessons have been learned.

1. Martinez can't play CB in the PL
  2. We can't play a high line with a GK that dosent sweep and no pace on our back line
  3. You can't pick a midfield that is compleatly devoid of physicality and aggression in the PL.
  4. We can not play out from the back with De Gea.
I suppose as long as the lessons have been learned the result and the manner of it could be a sliver lining. Lets hope ETH has learnt that lesson and dosent set them up for a fall again.

crossy1686

career ending
Hopefully some lessons have been learned.

1. Martinez can't play CB in the PL
  2. We can't play a high line with a GK that dosent sweep and no pace on our back line
  3. You can't pick a midfield that is compleatly devoid of physicality and aggression in the PL.
  4. We can not play out from the back with De Gea.
I suppose as long as the lessons have been learned the result and the manner of it could be a sliver lining. Lets hope ETH has learnt that lesson and dosent set them up for a fall again.
Martinez cost £50m and there’s no returns so he needs to find somewhere he can play or up his game, like yesterday.

The way the manager wants to play means the other points will never go away. It’s a case of personnel at this point, we need different players in.

LordSpud

I'm looking at the fixtures for the remainder of Aug, Sept and October:
Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester, Arsenal, Palace, Leeds, Man City, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Chelsea.

With what we've seen so far coupled with our zero mentality and belief, how many points are we looking at? I'm genuinely only seeing about 15-18. Would put us comfortably in the bottom quarter at the start of November. Here's hoping Ten Hag sorts it out...

Longshanks

Martinez cost £50m and there’s no returns so he needs to find somewhere he can play or up his game, like yesterday.

The way the manager wants to play means the other points will never go away. It’s a case of personnel at this point, we need different players in.
Unless we can coach martinez to grow a few inches he cant play CB, he could play at no6 or maybe LB, but that's not what he was signed for so we have a 50m pound CB that can't play CB.

Its a baffling signing all round in an area we are not short of bodies. The money should of been spent on a GK, probably could of coaxed Sanchez from Brighton for 50m would of solved 2 of the 4 issues above.

All the lessons iv listed above were obvious to me before a ball was even kicked i just hope they are now obvious to ETH.

Swordsman

Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester, Arsenal, Palace, Leeds, Man City, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Chelsea.

With what we've seen so far coupled with our zero mentality and belief, how many points are we looking at? I'm genuinely only seeing about 15-18. Would put us comfortably in the bottom quarter at the start of November. Here's hoping Ten Hag sorts it out...
any team that played pressing football, we are unlikely to win...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Even in only fairly OK times, Southampton, Palace, Leeds, Everton and Newcastle would be given wins. In slightly better times, you could Arsenal because that's at OT. Right now, we could end up with just one of two wins. Truthfully, if we lose to Southampton we might as well all pack up and go home

LordSpud

Even in only fairly OK times, Southampton, Palace, Leeds, Everton and Newcastle would be given wins. In slightly better times, you could Arsenal because that's at OT. Right now, we could end up with just one of two wins. Truthfully, if we lose to Southampton we might as well all pack up and go home
Its really fecking sad. A sad sad state of affairs. BUT i think this really is the season that has started the ball rolling to get the Glazers out. A few pundits are now saying it on TV, Goldbridge for all his being a twat is bringing it semi mainstream on TalkSport, the fans seem to be becoming unified and the protests appear to be starting to go up a notch. Fingers and toes crossed.

Stuoxford

My biggest issue is the lack of effort. Supposedly the coaching team last week were concerned about the application in training of some players. If that’s the case why did they start?
We don’t fight. Watching every other team in the league fighting like their life’s depended on it. Why not us?
Why to they run less than ever other team in the league. It’s a disgrace. If we don’t get desire then they’ll never be a real team.

crossy1686

career ending
Unless we can coach martinez to grow a few inches he cant play CB, he could play at no6 or maybe LB, but that's not what he was signed for so we have a 50m pound CB that can't play CB.

Its a baffling signing all round in an area we are not short of bodies. The money should of been spent on a GK, probably could of coaxed Sanchez from Brighton for 50m would of solved 2 of the 4 issues above.

All the lessons iv listed above were obvious to me before a ball was even kicked i just hope they are now obvious to ETH.
Height isn’t always the issue, physicality is. He has to bulk up and be stronger than he currently is. Being leaned on in the PL is a given and you won’t get a foul for it, he needs to hold his own in that regard. A good leap can cover for being short. He isn’t a midfielder, if he could play there he would be already, he was signed to play CB. Personally I think he ends up at LB at some point this season.

Longshanks

Height isn’t always the issue, physicality is. He has to bulk up and be stronger than he currently is. Being leaned on in the PL is a given and you won’t get a foul for it, he needs to hold his own in that regard. A good leap can cover for being short. He isn’t a midfielder, if he could play there he would be already, he was signed to play CB. Personally I think he ends up at LB at some point this season.
He get bulk up and get as strong as he likes, but it won't help him tower above a 6ft 2 CF and power a header back into the opposition half. So whatever he does teams know if they hit high balls in his direction he won't win them and there is gonna be at the very least second balls to contest right infront or maybe even behind our defensive line.

Brighton and Brentford both used this tactic to nullify our press and put the pressure back on us, and our attempted high press basically became pointless.

Player Ratings

2.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 434 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brentford 1:1 Man Utd