PL L FA Premier League

Brentford 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 August 2022

saik

When will Caf give us the option to give a player 0 rating?? Why should the least be 1? :mad:

wangyu

This was a vintage man utd performance if you became a fan in the last 9 years

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This was a vintage man utd performance if you became a fan in the last 9 years
Under LvG, we got smacked for 3 in 30 minutes at the Emirates.

We're obviously progressing (downwards), as now it's Brentford who are mauling us and even adding a 4th.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
109 km for Brentford, 95 km for United. Each Brentford player covered, on average 14.7 % more ground than United players. Damning.

wangyu

Under LvG, we got smacked for 3 in 30 minutes at the Emirates.

We're obviously progressing (downwards), as now it's Brentford who are mauling us and even adding a 4th.
and Brighton last season 4-0 or what was it. The 1-6 vs Spurs was also only possible in a fantasy world until it happened

saik

and Brighton last season 4-0 or what was it. The 1-6 vs Spurs was also only possible in a fantasy world until it happened
Have you forgotten the 4-1 against Watford who are now in the Championship? The match which finally got Ole sacked. We've had some right bangers in the previous season. :lol:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
You should have heeded RR recommendation there ETH. The man maybe not a good manager but was absolutely spot on. I can only laugh at this stage.

ObscureBaguette

Just watching the highlights there and I couldn't help but notice that, even though it was very hot, Brentford's players ran and ran, wanted to win every ball and competed like lions. Each Brentford player won their individual battle. You could argue that they may not have been able to keep that up for 90+mins in that heat, but the point is they didn't need to. We simply don't have the players to either press or cope with being pressed. We looked half as fit as Brentford. Luke Shaw in particular reminds me of myself playing six aside.

Rolaholic

There's no escaping this shambles for those up top, they've made us an embarrassment

chb23

I bet ETH wishes he listened and kept RR on now.

the club should have forced RR on ETH after 6 months of the shit show.

Rolaholic

Not holding back and rightfully calling them out for the atrocious decision making on the pitch.

Really wish we could recall Henderson from loan as soon as tomorrow

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Looking at this first goal, it's easy to blame De Gea. Sure it's a shot he should and most of the time would save, but like any keeper this kind of blunder does happen. The point is what's going on before this goal. Ronaldo receives the ball surrounded by Brentford players. He's struggling to maintain possession; Bruno who was busy directing his teammates as the throw-in was coming in actually RUNS AWAY from Ronaldo, the player who was behind Bruno is now free to intercept the ball which he does, winning possession and then passing to Dasilva.

Ronaldo struggling to hold onto the ball running on to it with a player infront and behind him, and Fred and Bruno decide the winning move is to run away from him to a position that he cannot see.

Fred as a holding midfielder doing that and leaving that much space is absolutely criminal. Or perhaps they've been coached to do that: if Ronaldo drops deep, they're to push up to stop the opposition back-line from collapsing on them and boxing them in. Although the fact Fred was subbed off at halftime would indicate otherwise.

Pause the video when DaSilva receives the ball. There's no united player within 15 yards of him and he's within shooting range. That's a mistake that will get punished more times than any team can afford.

These kinds of issues are nothing to do with the keeper, you swap him for the most inform goalie in the world and you're still gonna have these problems. Keane alluded to Bruno's attitude a while ago implying he was buying into his own hype and doing too much talking. That a player has that much room to shoot 10 minutes into a game is the real problem.

From the moment DaSilva receives the ball you can see he's got one thing in mind. At no point does he lift his eyes away from the ball, he's gonna shoot, you can see it a mile away. Yet Martinelli makes a lacklustre attempt to close him down, he should be flying at him fully committed, in the end it's a half-hearted tackle, Dasilva gets the shot off and scores.

DeGea held his nerve for years but sometimes when you see so much obvious stuff going wrong right in front of you it's hard to keep your spirit applied.

Edit: Also as the shot's going in there's a player sprinting into the box, if De Gea spills it, he gets to it first because Maguire who's stood right behind him and can see what he's doing doesn't react with nearly the same commitment. It's just too easy to blame one person for this. This is a collective effort.
So much words trying to say that DDG wasn’t fecking up an easy save.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I remember a week ago when I was looking forward to the new season, good times.

saik

I remember a week ago when I was looking forward to the new season, good times.
Me too! I was so fecking excited, watched all the preseason games live for the first time in ages too. Man this club surely knows how to sap any bit of joy.

avgp_1

Looking at this first goal, it's easy to blame De Gea. Sure it's a shot he should and most of the time would save, but like any keeper this kind of blunder does happen. The point is what's going on before this goal. Ronaldo receives the ball surrounded by Brentford players. He's struggling to maintain possession; Bruno who was busy directing his teammates as the throw-in was coming in actually RUNS AWAY from Ronaldo, the player who was behind Bruno is now free to intercept the ball which he does, winning possession and then passing to Dasilva.

Ronaldo struggling to hold onto the ball running on to it with a player infront and behind him, and Fred and Bruno decide the winning move is to run away from him to a position that he cannot see.

Fred as a holding midfielder doing that and leaving that much space is absolutely criminal. Or perhaps they've been coached to do that: if Ronaldo drops deep, they're to push up to stop the opposition back-line from collapsing on them and boxing them in. Although the fact Fred was subbed off at halftime would indicate otherwise.

Pause the video when DaSilva receives the ball. There's no united player within 15 yards of him and he's within shooting range. That's a mistake that will get punished more times than any team can afford.

These kinds of issues are nothing to do with the keeper, you swap him for the most inform goalie in the world and you're still gonna have these problems. Keane alluded to Bruno's attitude a while ago implying he was buying into his own hype and doing too much talking. That a player has that much room to shoot 10 minutes into a game is the real problem.

From the moment DaSilva receives the ball you can see he's got one thing in mind. At no point does he lift his eyes away from the ball, he's gonna shoot, you can see it a mile away. Yet Martinelli makes a lacklustre attempt to close him down, he should be flying at him fully committed, in the end it's a half-hearted tackle, Dasilva gets the shot off and scores.

DeGea held his nerve for years but sometimes when you see so much obvious stuff going wrong right in front of you it's hard to keep your spirit applied.

Edit: Also as the shot's going in there's a player sprinting into the box, if De Gea spills it, he gets to it first because Maguire who's stood right behind him and can see what he's doing doesn't react with nearly the same commitment. It's just too easy to blame one person for this. This is a collective effort.
Good observation. The first goal has a lot to do with how we setup and was not down to just the obvious Goalkeeping error. Ronaldo in that position wasn't ideal as he isn't really that press resistant but the gap between Eriksen and Bruno/Fred who were playing the advanced MF role was way too much.

I don't know why they were playing so advanced, it was that way from the start. If we are playing with such a formation we need the players to be mega press resistant as any possession loss can be catastrophic, we can't lose the ball in these situations.

As soon as we lose the ball there is lots of space to attack. The players are occupying positions that they are asked to but not anticipating threats and being prepared to recover.

I guess the more they play they will adjust or it's EtH who has to adjust and not play this way with these set of players

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Gary Neville propper ripped into the owners again post match. Rightly so. Glaziers out

erinoco

Supports
Arsenal
Solve your midfield issue, and you will improve the contribution (and the sell on value) of every other player in the squad. It really shouldn't be that hard for Man Utd to find someone capable of winning the ball, breaking up the opposition press, and promoting build up play. At the moment, Rice or Phillips would make a huge difference to this team, if only through allowing Fred and Bruno to play to their strengths.

UpWithRivers

Did I say we sorted our midfield out? My point is the focus has been the midfield is the problem, you put anyone in that midfield today and it’s the same outcome.
Disagree. Put Kante and De Jong and we would have won. Put 3 decent midfielders and we at the very least wouldn't be battered 4-0

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Cannot believe those first two goals. If your Sunday league team played a friendly against Brentford expecting to be battered obviously, you’d still be fuming at them for that.

MrSingh2002

You should have heeded RR recommendation there ETH. The man maybe not a good manager but was absolutely spot on. I can only laugh at this stage.
Yep. Ralf was the only one since Jose that I believed totally understood the situation. Unfortunately the owners decided not to back Jose or Ralf as it meant they would have to spend alot of money.

Root cause is down to the Glazers. They make the right appointments sometimes but don't give the right appointments the backing if they need real overhauls.

RC89

Maybe the guy calling for open heart surgery was onto something. Seems we opted for the DNR instead this summer.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Ok, I didn’t get to see the match, and I hadn’t even seen pics til someone finally posted tweets…

Did anyone on the team see McGuire dressed as a giant, glowing lime and think “yes, this will work!”?

That is some truly horrible stuff.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
What is frightening is that Brentford are and we’re shit. Their pressing was shit despite the fuking commentators wetting themselves, they couldnt string more then 4 passes together and they allowed us plenty of time on the ball around their area. They were muck and yet beat us by 4.

Brighton looked like prime Barcelona against us but showed once again today that they are no more than a decent side at best.

god fuking help us when a top side gets hold of us. It will be 5 at the back time and pray for mercy. We are a mess.
That’s b@ll@cks but go on….

cyril C

Just watching the highlights there and I couldn't help but notice that, even though it was very hot, Brentford's players ran and ran, wanted to win every ball and competed like lions. Each Brentford player won their individual battle. You could argue that they may not have been able to keep that up for 90+mins in that heat, but the point is they didn't need to. We simply don't have the players to either press or cope with being pressed. We looked half as fit as Brentford. Luke Shaw in particular reminds me of myself playing six aside.
On that I don't understand. Rangnick came in mid of season with a half baked coaching team, but ETH has a full preparation, in fact an extra week better than Liverpool's. Why our squad looked so unfit.

Jack-C20

Completely ruined my Saturday. Ashamed to say it as well as it’s only fecking football. I don’t want to go to bed because I’m still so disappointed. Fecking hell.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Watching the game delayed here in the States as I was out all day so I imagine I'm not adding anything new here, but what the actual feck. Okay the first goal was a massive individual error by Dave, the second was also an individual error - those things I can actually accept - football is a game where mistakes happen. What absolutely scared the shit out of me was the complete lack of grit, determination, character, leadership and workrate from these players. It's nothing new - we saw it last year, but if these fecking wasters can't muster some effort for a new manager then they never will.

It is a massive cliche, but so many of these players need to go or at the very least be taken out of the team. I wouldn't blame ETH for walking at this stage already. How exactly is he supposed to make this team competitive? Our pathetic transfer window is coming home to roost and I'm sure any targets we have left would be asking why in the feck would I want to go to that shitshow.

Liverpool will put at least 5 past us next week.

BaneIsPain

Enough with a second chance/clean slate every time a new manager comes in. The overhaul in the first eleven is too obvious for everyone with a pair of eyes.

moodyred

ETH now knows how bad this team truly is. I am prepared for a straight 5 game loss. But let's hope we see improvement after that.

Kinky Melinky

It's crazy really how glaringly obvious the massive clear out and buy in was and is, and this should have been obvious to ETH at the start of the Summer. With a little under 2 weeks to go until the window closes and not looking even remotely like signing FDJ, if our transfer quota remains as it is, this will be the worst transfer Summer performance we have had since the Premier League began given how desperately we need quality players. In all my years watching United, I have never seen a situation like this where so many first team starters need to go. It's both mesmerizing and bewildering how this only seemed to be obvious to those outside the decision making realm of Manchester United.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Didn't watch the match because I had something to do. I'm glad I didn't.

Player Ratings

2.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 434 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brentford 1:1 Man Utd