FA W FA Cup Quarter Finals

Manchester United 2:0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 March 2018

Fluctuation0161

The "Mourniho's tactics are to blame" brigade better hope not too many people watch this video, because it exposes their ignorance in full:

Only 2 fecking days of training for a faster build up an he’s criticising players for not all doing it right!
I’ve been supportive of Jose but that is ridiculous!

red_devil83

Same shit different day. Could just have easily been the same result as against Sevilla or 60% of our other games this season

Chillosophy

First game of the season I missed, seems it wasnt a flowing game of football I need to watch the replay for?

Acole9

Outstanding
Through to the semi finals at Wembley. Bit of a boring game, very similar to the one in the league back in November.

They did prove difficult to break down but at the same time I do think the three playing behind Lukaku all could've done more to make something happen. There was a real nice build up between Martial and Mata (I think it was) in the first half but apart from that very little else.

Mourinho was very animated on the touchline and looked like he was trying to get us up the pitch but for some reason there was a few out there not really doing anything and I guess that's why he made the changes he did.

I've seen a few videos online of the singing section, looked decent. Hopefully it won't be a flash in the pan from the club just to keep the independent supporters trusts happy.

Alabaster Codify7

I just don't like watching us anymore. No enjoyment. I saw the first half, was exactly what I expected (mid-table quality football, workmanlike and nothing exceptional). Was with a mate who hates United and we had other plans so I sacked off the second half, just wasn't bothered. Glad we won, but I still don't see us winning the whole thing.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Through to the semi finals at Wembley. Bit of a boring game, very similar to the one in the league back in November.

They did prove difficult to break down but at the same time I do think the three playing behind Lukaku all could've done more to make something happen. There was a real nice build up between Martial and Mata (I think it was) in the first half but apart from that very little else.

Mourinho was very animated on the touchline and looked like he was trying to get us up the pitch but for some reason there was a few out there not really doing anything and I guess that's why he made the changes he did.

I've seen a few videos online of the singing section, looked decent. Hopefully it won't be a flash in the pan from the club just to keep the independent supporters trusts happy.
I don't think it will tbh. Signs are that the club really want this to work.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I just don't like watching us anymore. No enjoyment. I saw the first half, was exactly what I expected (mid-table quality football, workmanlike and nothing exceptional). Was with a mate who hates United and we had other plans so I sacked off the second half, just wasn't bothered. Glad we won, but I still don't see us winning the whole thing.
Feel free to stop watching if that's what you want.

Not such an easy option when you whole life has been following UTD:angel:

Same old story: started quite brightly then went back into our shells. The second half was, quite frankly, a disgrace, as yet again we sat back and invited a team to come at us; this time it was the mighty Brighton - at Old Trafford. What the hell is going on here, because I'm baffled?

Shark

@NotShark
First United match I’ve completely missed in around 6 years. It wasn’t deliberate. Doesn’t sound like I missed much.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm not asking us to press as intensely as City or Liverpool, although I'd like to see us do that personally, but surely we should be pressing more than we are now?

We give every team we play plenty of time and space on the ball. It's no wonder we're conceding so many shots on our goal.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
You don't know the caf, I guess. People will moan every chance they get. Win or lose.
Yeah but usually the general sentiment swings very easily due to the results, even if the result was down to good or bad luck. Play well but draw/lose: "the sky is falling". Play badly but win: "grinding out results is the mark of champions".

Not this time, I guess. Many are tired of the shit football being served up despite beating Brighton.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Yeah but usually the general sentiment swings very easily due to the results, even if the result was down to good or bad luck. Play well but draw/lose: "the sky is falling". Play badly but win: "grinding out results is the mark of champions".

Not this time, I guess. Many are tired of the shit football being served up despite beating Brighton.
I know I am. It's pure drudgery watching this United team. Joyless, stagnant, anti football that even if wildly successful (and it isn't so far) would still leave me disengaged and indifferent. I'd rather watch Liverpool and that's saying something.

HaliRed

Poor conditions, poor game but we're through to the semis. Happy with the result is all that can be said about the match.

As far as the latest Jose tirade, I'm sorry but I've lost all interest in his excuses.

I might be old-fashioned but publicly holding players accountable for the team's failures only has merit when you are honest enough to hold yourself accountable once in a while.

I have tried to be positive about his tenure, and I obviously want the team to do well. But to react like a petulant child when you deservedly get stick for your tactics is very Rafa-like and concerning. He has blamed the lack of money, the players, the fans and the stadium for the fact that the team doesn't show any offensive cohesion. Surely a manager eventually needs to take a look at his own methods?

Alabaster Codify7

Feel free to stop watching if that's what you want.

Not such an easy option when you whole life has been following UTD:angel:

I've spent almost 30yrs watching us. I watch football to be entertained, if I'm not being entertained the entire point of the activity has gone.
Towards the end of LVG's reign I stopped watching a lot of league games, as they seemed meaningless and were like watching paint dry. That's how I feel at the moment about us. I simply have better things to do for 90mins than sit down feeling quite bored.

Sanche7

I'm not asking us to press as intensely as City or Liverpool, although I'd like to see us do that personally, but surely we should be pressing more than we are now?

We give every team we play plenty of time and space on the ball. It's no wonder we're conceding so many shots on our goal.
Mourinho may have objected to Diego Torres’s biography of him but the passage describing his methods against the better sides was as true of Saturday’s win :

1. The game is won by the team who commit fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger

This article is a very good read :
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp....inho-the-anti-barcelona-chelsea-pep-guardiola

Its almost opposite to Pep and the whole Barca school of thought, you can only score if you have the ball and the opponent can't score when you have the ball.
Pep loves to keep the ball, Mourinho loves to give it away

Marcky411

Game wasn’t good but I can live with it due to the conditions. Can’t expect fast fancy football when the ball didn’t seem to roll well on the field. a lot of passes misjudged from both sides due to the conditions.
Jose though was very disappointed after training two whole days on swift passing and quick attacking football and then the team go out and deliver a performance like that.
Couldn’t believe my ears when I heard his press conference blaming the players all the way. Only Matic was worth his salt and a hard working Mc Tominay. Even Lukaku was to blame for that performance.
Can’t believe that fool seems to be cracking up.
Glad with the win upto the semi’s. Is it still fair to other teams playing Tottenham at Wembley, it isn’t quite neutral ground seeing it’s their home ground this year.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We're getting worse and worse in regards to our quality of football. Incredible considering we've added Matic, Lukaku and Alexis to the team.

Listar

Only 2 fecking days of training for a faster build up an he’s criticising players for not all doing it right!
There is a difference between not doing it right, and not doing it. McTominay, according to Jose, was not doing it right. Shaw and Valencia, also according to Jose, and possibly Martial and Lingard, were not doing it.

Listar

I've spent almost 30yrs watching us. I watch football to be entertained, if I'm not being entertained the entire point of the activity has gone.
Towards the end of LVG's reign I stopped watching a lot of league games, as they seemed meaningless and were like watching paint dry. That's how I feel at the moment about us. I simply have better things to do for 90mins than sit down feeling quite bored.
I'm sorry that the last few matches against Chelsea, Palace and Liverpool never ignite your love for football. Luckily it did for many United fans. There were a lot of fancams on youtube that showed they were buzzing and losing their voices after those matches.

So maybe its not us, but you, that have lost your love for United. Maybe you should watch Liverpool, then you can have that amazing feeling of losing to us.

In Rainbows

I'm sorry that the last few matches against Chelsea, Palace and Liverpool never ignite your love for football. Luckily it did for many United fans. There were a lot of fancams on youtube that showed they were buzzing and losing their voices after those matches.

So maybe its not us, but you, that have lost your love for United. Maybe you should watch Liverpool, then you can have that amazing feeling of losing to us.
You can't use those 3 matches to overwrite the majority of our boring football this season. That's just recency bias. We could look into matchday threads to get a feeling for how entertaining a match is and I'm willing to bet that those 3 matches are exceptions to the rule.

el3mel

You can't use those 3 matches to overwrite the majority of our boring football this season. That's just recency bias. We could look into matchday threads to get a feeling for how entertaining a match is and I'm willing to bet that those 3 matches are exceptions to the rule.
Great proof. :lol:

Fluctuation0161

There is a difference between not doing it right, and not doing it. McTominay, according to Jose, was not doing it right. Shaw and Valencia, also according to Jose, and possibly Martial and Lingard, were not doing it.
Point is, it takes more than 2 days to instill these ideas.
A) Why hasn’t he been doing this training for longer than 2 days?
B) Why so critical of players when it takes more than 2 days to learn?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Point is, it takes more than 2 days to instill these ideas.
A) Why hasn’t he been doing this training for longer than 2 days?
B) Why so critical of players when it takes more than 2 days to learn?
You don't actually know do you?

Utd prepare 2 weeks ahead of the games, for that game

Siorac

You don't actually know do you?

Utd prepare 2 weeks ahead of the games, for that game
Thankfully, we have the manager's post-match comments to confirm that he did indeed only spend two days!

When I spend two days with faster build-up and ball arriving earlier between lines and in attacking areas it depends on decisions in possession and movement in attack, I spend two days working on it but attacking players don't want the ball, defenders taking square passes, I have to feel frustrated.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The "Mourniho's tactics are to blame" brigade better hope not too many people watch this video, because it exposes their ignorance in full:

Imo, it actually damns him.
Why don't we do it often?

Adisa

I just know one thing, the season cannot end soon enough.
It's incredible people are feeling like this, considering where we are on the table.
I am too.
This is what reactive football can do.

pacifictheme

Liverpool might be scoring a lot of goals, but they still haven't anything since 2012. And we might be playing the worst football, but we have won 3 trophies since Ferguson has left. Five points above them and still have a chance to win a trophy this season. What would you rather have, good football without trophies or boring football with trophies and better league position?
Its not one or the other though is it? We often didn't play great football under fergie but this brand of football is so dull. Playing a bit better would probably help us achieve more. Some positivity would have put sevilla away mid week. Easily.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's incredible people are feeling like this, considering where we are on the table.
I am too.
This is what reactive football can do.
Exactly. Our football has done it for me this season. I honestly don't care much about the rest of the season now and that is FA Cup taken into account. I am going to watch the matches because I am addicted but there is zero pleasure

Canagel

We're getting worse and worse in regards to our quality of football. Incredible considering we've added Matic, Lukaku and Alexis to the team.
I'm at the stage we were under LVG. Can't be bothered to watch or enjoy the games anymore. The last few weeks have been atrocious with the style of play. Actually we were much better to watch last season when we peppering teams goals but not scoring. Around October/November 2016. The 0-0 game vs Burnley. We had something like 40 shots on goal. Now we've totalled 6 shots in 3 games this week. It's just not acceptable.

Adisa

Exactly. Our football has done it for me this season. I honestly don't care much about the rest of the season now and that is FA Cup taken into account. I am going to watch the matches because I am addicted but there is zero pleasure
Only watched the first half on Saturday. Wasn't planned. At half time, I changed the channel to Nat Geo and forgot we still had the second half to play. Stunned to find out the second half was worse.

Trizy

So were training for a faster build up now? Source?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Only watched the first half on Saturday. Wasn't planned. At half time, I changed the channel to Nat Geo and forgot we still had the second half to play. Stunned to find out the second half was worse.
I had headaches so I decided to miss the 2nd half too :lol:. Not stunned to find out it was worse though

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 76% of 602 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 369 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw