FA W FA Cup Quarter Finals

Manchester United 2:0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 March 2018

Hansa

The matchday thread is still shit. 90% of the posts are whining, even when we are winning.
Not sure I agree with you. Today's match thread was pretty low-key, with people talking about the shit game we were watching (if this game was viewed as anything other than complete rubbish, I'd question the person making the statement).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He single out Shaw(again), mentioned our attacking players beside Lukaku and said they were hiding. Not to mention him specifically selecting only Lukaku and Matic for praise while at the same time shitting on other seems a pretty divisive way to go on about things.

This is how he starts his wars with his own players.
If they are not performing they deserve a bit of criticism. If the cannot take criticism they should not be here. They are playing with the big boys here and need to be on top form or top effort every game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah I am not saying he bought all of them, I said he bought some of them, has given contracts to some of them, has trained all of them and selected every player on the park tonight.
The fact has is playing them and has given them new contracts, then they owe him and the fans a performance.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I'm not buying Mou's shite. Early in the season when we were scoring loads while not playing particularly great, but the team had confidence. Then we parked the bus at Liverpool and it went down hill from there. This time around we had a few great performances against top 4 rivals then deliberately shut up shop on a 0-0 result, and again the performance levels go out the window.

This is Mourinho throwing the team under the bus (hur hur). You set the team up Jose and it's your job to motivate the players.if you haven't noticed.

When Fellaini just waltz back in the team and good performers like Tom are dropped, what does that do? When Martial is dropped for having a poor game whilst Sanchez produces shite after shite. This is favouritism and not meritocracy.

You expect a harmonious dressing room then you're mental.

Jacko21

Pretty sure Van Gaal felt in charge given his shock at being sacked. I imagine Woody is a solid politician behind the scenes.
I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, the situations feel very different.

It's not that Woodward won't have a plan, but rather he'll be very, very reluctant to have to enact it. It'll take much more that what we're currently seeing for anything to happen.

Mourinho will have this summer to make sizeable changes. If said changes don't bring about change and yield success, then a decision will have to be made. But as it is, Mourinho is clearly steadfast in his belief that it is the players who'll be shown the door before he is. He's no fool, he wouldn't have said what he has done in that post-match interview without being confident of how the chips will fall.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Someone has to take the blame and it isn't going to be Jose .
Exactly.

This read more like Jose in typical fashion shifting the blame elsewhere but himself. This interview cones across more like "look o asked the players to play attacking football and we did emphasis a lot on that in training but unfortunately they couldn't execute so it's not on me but them." while the reality is probably different.

The truth is that he's had these players playing conservative, negative football for such a long time with mostly no attacking patterns that if they were asked to suddenly play good attacking football they'd struggle. They need coaching on that and it won't come easy to them after being subjecting to a negative approach in most game for a long time.

Mourinho is full of it.

steffyr2

Matic was very good. 1goal, 1assist, he ran the show, a shit show, but a show non the less. Glad Mourinho threw players under the bus. Not good enough.
Watch them in this game. Second to every ball. That can't be blamed on Mourinho.

RD76

SAF's last words to us fans were to stand by the manager. I was as angry as anyone on Tuesday, but I'm backing him tonight. We don't see what happens in the dressing room or at training and he could well have ripped into them in private and they've still gone hiding tonight. That was horrendous and I'm glad he's had a go at the players.

caid

If they are not performing they deserve a bit of criticism. If the cannot take criticism they should not be here. They are playing with the big boys here and need to be on top form or top effort every game.
I really dont care how he goes about motivating the players as long as they're actually motivated when we kick off. I'm not convinced his behaviour in recent weeks is achieving that though.

manichester

We are still shoehorning players into unnatural positions which affects the fluidity, our build up play is slow and we play 2 defensive midfielders who struggle to pass the ball more than 5 yards couple with 2 center backs who are afraid to cross the half way line. Most of this is down to the coaching and there is a fear factor involved tonight there were forwards running off the ball but no one picks a pass and they have to backtrack the run and then are facing away from goal if the ball reaches them.

crazylegz

poor old mourinho, can't create an attacking team because it's all the players fault and needs another 80-100 million to splash on a winger, whilst earlier today liverpool looked rampant even with danny ings up front.

Giggs86

Going by Mourinho's quotes it feels like it is him vs the players and he has the full backing of the board. A big clearout in the summer is imminent. If that's the case I think it's the right move, we are changing managers but keep the same core of spineless players over and over again. Time to be ruthless and part ways with some of these players.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You know for someone who is always critical of others, it'd be great if he could also be a bit self critical from time to time, especially after consistently putting in some very negative displays and set ups.

Manny

Grammar Police
Job done.

I didn't get what Mourinho was on about post match though. Scholes was right, there was nothing different today that we haven't already seen many times this season. This shite should have been sorted out months ago.
This I can agree with.

Regardless of who gets played at LB, Matic really is on his own in there. He's asked to do a hell of a lot covering for the personality void in our defence and get us moving forward when Pogba isn't playing.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

SAF's last words to us fans were to stand by the manager. I was as angry as anyone on Tuesday, but I'm backing him tonight. We don't see what happens in the dressing room or at training and he could well have ripped into them in private and they've still gone hiding tonight. That was horrendous and I'm glad he's had a go at the players.
Did you stand by Moyes?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Lingard, Mata and Martial were poor tonight.

Loved Lukaku and his attitude but its a pity the so called creative players behind him prefer to pass it sideways and in triangles thinking ot is enough.

Oldyella

We have been boring for most of the season, so he throws his toys out of the pram and players under the bus because they cannot transition to a quicker style of play in less than a week? Whatever Jose..

And why if he wanted better attacking did he take off Shaw who had been ok but leave on Valencia who was stinking the place out?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Good result, boring performance which I didn't enjoy at all. The whole play was very chaotic and it was hard to figure out what (if any) game plan we really had.

RikRuud

Watch them in this game. Second to every ball. That can't be blamed on Mourinho.
Mourinho certainly wasn’t to blame. I agree with his comments regarding the shirt being “too heavy” for some players. They have nowhere to hide when he’s in this mood. It’s obvious he shares our frustrations.

AndyJ1985

We have been boring for most of the season, so he throws his toys out of the pram and players under the bus because they cannot transition to a quicker style of play in less than a week? Whatever Jose..

And why if he wanted better attacking did he take off Shaw who had been ok but leave on Valencia who was stinking the place out?
Because the alternative to Valencia is Darmian

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Just feel we have to give him another season, otherwise we get another manager, who will be fine until he pisses one of the players off and it happens again.
I don’t want him gone, I just don’t really understand what he’s doing right now, we’ve won 11 of our last 15 games and are second so why is he behaving the way he is? He can bleat on about how we don’t get enough credit/football poets/results over style/Pep’s spending all he wants, that won’t lose the players, but saying we were never going to win the Champions League, that Sevilla have many players better than ours and insinuating that Lukaku and Matic aside we’re shite seems a bit unnecessary to me and is stupidly risky given his not so distant history of turning players against him.

Rashford2good

I'm not buying Mou's shite. Early in the season when we were scoring loads while not playing particularly great, but the team had confidence. Then we parked the bus at Liverpool and it went down hill from there. This time around we had a few great performances against top 4 rivals then deliberately shut up shop on a 0-0 result, and again the performance levels go out the window.

This is Mourinho throwing the team under the bus (hur hur). You set the team up Jose and it's your job to motivate the players.if you haven't noticed.

When Fellaini just waltz back in the team and good performers like Tom are dropped, what does that do? When Martial is dropped for having a poor game whilst Sanchez produces shite after shite. This is favouritism and not meritocracy.

You expect a harmonious dressing room then you're mental.
Pretty much what I want to say. The whole place is as flat as a pancake but we got another day at wembley. The weather was bitter tonight which probably explains the empty seats but a win is a win and we go into the semis. Glad for the two week break now to step back, take a deep breath and go again.

Last edited by a moderator:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Have the players just had enough of Mourinho? I know it's the cliched thing to say that "he's lost the dressing room" but judging by the performances and his comments, there's doesn't appear to be any other explanation.

We've just go into a semi final but things just seem horrible at the club at the moment.

Oldyella

Because the alternative to Valencia is Darmian
Young should of come on for Valencia tonight. Shaw wasn't brilliant tonight but he wasn't bad either whereas Valencia was terrible. Get the impression Shaw is the sacrificial offering for the season.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I don’t want him gone, I just don’t really understand what he’s doing right now, we’ve won 11 of our last 15 games and are second so why is he behaving the way he is? He can bleat on about how we don’t get enough credit/football poets/results over style/Pep’s spending all he wants, that won’t lose the players, but saying we were never going to win the Champions League, that Sevilla have many players better than ours and insinuating that Lukaku and Matic aside we’re shite seems a bit unnecessary to me and is stupidly risky given his not so distant history of turning players against him.
It’s Mourinho. I‘m really looking forward rob shen his implosion REALLY starts. That’s during his third season though, we aren’t there yet it’s just starting.

Ace of Spades

If the players are not playing for him, then I can't see the owners and Woodward choosing him over a squad that has taken quite a lot of money to assemble. The mpre damning part is that some of his own signings have looked bery poor.

The thing is if he was going to throw the players under the bus, do it equally. No point picking and choosing when all of them have had rough patches as the season has progressed.

arthurka

My patience is wearing very thin with this side.. Jose is just grinding my bones these days..

Good: Wembley
Bad: Weather and the rest of it.
Worst: That idiotic rant that came four days late..

izec

Mourinho is a winner, if he cant win big trophies after a while, he will implode and he will throw the team under the bus. Thats why he wont stay here for another 4-5 years and be happy with a top 4 finish with the occasional domestic cup win as some poster suggested yesterday. He fecks off after 3 years for a reason, winning or losing.

Web of Bissaka

Wow, okay. He's letting it rip.

:lol: Except very few players, the rest are shamed.

Basically the performance is not enough, need to be more aggressive and more passion, not the feckin dilly dally plays.

Professional football, not playground football.
--He wants professional footballers, not children.

edgar allan

Exactly.

This read more like Jose in typical fashion shifting the blame elsewhere but himself. This interview cones across more like "look o asked the players to play attacking football and we did emphasis a lot on that in training but unfortunately they couldn't execute so it's not on me but them." while the reality is probably different.

The truth is that he's had these players playing conservative, negative football for such a long time with mostly no attacking patterns that if they were asked to suddenly play good attacking football they'd struggle. They need coaching on that and it won't come easy to them after being subjecting to a negative approach in most game for a long time.

Mourinho is full of it.
Totally agree, plays two defensive midfielders at home and then complains when we fall into a defensive system.

SalfordRed1960

Job done, performance as expected. You can't spend 2 years telling players to play safe and then expect them to go gun-ho.

So much attacking talent going to waste. If anyone really believed Jose had pulling power, I believe he is losing it fast.

AndyMUFC

Job done but by no means a good performance. Two moments of quality and a side that couldn't break us down.

Would say it's slightly worrying against Brighton but then we do seem to do this consistently.

dove

Good game by Matic and I thought McTominay was decent also. Everyone else... shocking, especially the likes of Valencia. Our captain would hardly get to WBA's starting XI. Not much else to say really.

seanboy

Was at my first Old Trafford game in 10 years (Arsenal home in April 2008 was my last). The lack of overall movement/belief/desire and effort was very disheartening. Now off to thaw my bones...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That was shit. Usually a win makes me far too happy to care about performances. Usually. Not tonight though. Nope. I did not enjoy watching that one bit. We were crap and I’m bored up to my back teeth of all this negative football.
It's a sad state of affairs when we get into a semi final of a cup and another trip to Wembley, but the overwhelming emotion is that of apathy.

Not to get too hyperbolic, but this week seems like a watershed in the Jose Mourinho era. Something has to give.

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 76% of 602 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 369 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw