FA W FA Cup Quarter Finals

Manchester United 2:0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 March 2018

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes. He is. Need to find a right balance, blend Alexis in somehow.
Somebody rang into MUTV and said about Chile not qualifying for the World Cup and it looks like all the criticism he got has affected him. A good rest during the summer and a good pre-season will help him.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
So the manager can't even question the players now after an atrocious performance when the team he put out was spot on?

RikRuud

Matic was very good. 1goal, 1assist, he ran the show, a shit show, but a show non the less. Glad Mourinho threw players under the bus. Not good enough.

Jacko21

Trouble it is always the manager, when sometimes it is players who need shipping out.
But Mourinho knows he's in a far stronger position to do this than at his previous clubs. United is nowhere near as politically volatile as Chelsea, Inter and Real. There's nobody to undermine him. I reckon the board would sooner pull the trigger on some of these players before turning on Mourinho. And he knows that.

He mentioned Woodward, Arnold et all in his pre-match press conference, saying they are all on the same page. Sounds to me like he's got the backing to ring the changes. Again.

DomesticTadpole

These are grown men, they should be able to follow instructions and take criticism not run home crying to their mothers.

redIndianDevil

I'm sorry why the feck is he angry with the performance today? Why was he happy with his players after the Sevilla game? Why is selectively picking games to be angry about his players? Any one with eyes could see Shaw made no mistakes, Valencia was pretty crap, but he gets a pass whereas Shaw is thrown under the bus. When you constantly criticize players in the press why are you surprised that the players don't do what you ask of them?

Personally I think the man has lost it after his Madrid and Chelsea tenures where he probably feels the players stabbed him in the back.

ash_86

Matic did well, Romero did his job well and I felt sorry for Lukaku stuck up there. Scott was not great but the lad tries hard enough and Jose has given him his chance. Smalling was OK as well.
Yes, thats Jose. He will tolerate mistakes but you need to show him desire to make it right. Today i felt Martial and Lingard had a poor game.

Dinghy

At least we'll have the drama after the games to look forward to, either we win or lose.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Two days? Mourinho clearly doesn't remember Van Gaal. That poor man tried to implement a fluid passing style for two years yet it only led to the most boring games and the least amount of goals scored ever.

Seriously though, he makes a valid point. Aside from the fact that he can go feck himself if we don't improve our play next season and that he's set us up cowardly at times, the players have been unable to deal with the 'everyone is out to get United's scalp' -mentality for years.

And I haven't forgotten the City game either. Plenty of other managers would've used the exact same tactics and let them have the ball, the fact that we struggled to even string three passes together and looked shell shocked most of the time was a perfect example of how mentally fragile we are deep down inside.

Ban

I'm sorry why the feck is he angry with the performance today? Why was he happy with his players after the Sevilla game? Why is selectively picking games to be angry about his players? Any one with eyes could see Shaw made no mistakes, Valencia was pretty crap, but he gets a pass whereas Shaw is thrown under the bus. When you constantly criticize players in the press why are you surprised that the players don't do what you ask of them?

Personally I think the man has lost it after his Madrid and Chelsea tenures where he probably feels the players stabbed him in the back.
He's lost it. YOu think he's crazy?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The matchday thread is still shit. 90% of the posts are whining, even when we are winning. And we make fun of rawk :lol:

I agree thugh, the game was boring, but we're through, yay!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
His post match comments are rubish. I sense shenanigans.

Whether he was happy with the performance or not he came out wrong in the post match interview. These little bits of nonsenses of him being selective as to which players he'll publicly back and those he'll rip on he's been having these past few days would only do more damage than good.

This is how he could easily create fractions. He decides to publicly back Lukaku and Matic while shitting on most of the other as if that would work or ever worked whenever he's tried it at his previous clubs which had to sack him due to fractures in relationships between him and his players.

DomesticTadpole

But Mourinho knows he's in a far stronger position to do this than at his previous clubs. United is nowhere near as politically volatile as Chelsea, Inter and Real. There's nobody to undermine him. I reckon the board would sooner pull the trigger on some of these players before turning on Mourinho. And he knows that.

He mentioned Woodward, Arnold et all in his pre-match press conference, saying they are all on the same page. Sounds to me like he's got the backing to ring the changes. Again.
They are not fools. They will know whose focus is not on the football or who is talking to other clubs behind their backs, or leaking stories to the press.

Jacko21

Then Woodward and Arnold are crazy imho. Mourinho is unstable. You cannot build anything with such a person in charge. It is suicide to give control to someone who is clearly out of control.
I don't disagree necessarily.

Just that all the noises coming out of OT are that Mourinho has the license to make changes where he sees fit. And as a club, we are traditional in that we're reliant on the manager being the figurehead for operations. Mourinho holds most of the cards.

RooneyLegend

Do you not remember his first Chelsea and Real Madrid team? They scored a lot of goals. Give him time. What’s the point in getting rid of another manager and starting all over again.
His Chelsea team didn't score lots of goals. Real Madrid were scoring lots of goals well before he got there. What's the point of continuing to drive in the wrong direction?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Well. Still better than playing beautiful football with no results. That's the point. Would people be okay going out 3-3 draw with Sevilla?

Ofcourse. Not denying that, but it has to be good football with trophies rather than good football which results to nothing.
We just haven't played entertaining football since SAF. Manchester United has a winning mentality which has been retained by winning 3 trophies in last 4 years. You win trophies because of the the mentality, not style. We won trophies recently because we had winners in our squad, experienced personnel.
We also have some players who can play better than this. Good football is in man utd's dna.

Hansa

Sometimes players give you a period above their normal level. This was one of those instances, scoring great goals, and winning us games. I don't think Lingard can keep this up. He'll might win us the odd game, but I don't think he'll have the same impact in the future as he had this winter. I'll be happy to eat humble pie, though, if he keeps on banging them in on our way to next year's league title.

AshRK

Maybe he could start by being honest with them? Gain their trust and start again? How is him ranting like this after his rant the other day going to make the players want to play for him? He pretty much said most of them are shite in his recent press conference. So what does he expect?
But the players were not good so he has a right to question them. He was asked if he enjoyed the game and he answered what most of us fans are saying, "no i didn't like it". Why are we getting so touchy about that. Jose took most of the blame for the sevilla game and rightly so but ultimately the 11 players have to deliver. Why cannot smalling directly pass to valencia who has acre of space but choose to play defensively and pass to bailly, you don't need a manager to help you do that. Jose also said the same, he doesn't like all this side ways passes. Players have to man up and admit they have to do better. Be aggressive, press high and not just stroll around. Jose was spot on in questioning players performance today.

DomesticTadpole

Think as someone said it is easier to criticise after a win, that it could have been better. After Tuesday's game he maybe felt he didn't want to kick them when they were already down.

Swift Football

The three attacking players behind Lukaku did not do themselves any favors tonight. If we continue to play 4-2-3-1, I feel we need to get rid of one of ours ( I dont know who) and get a pure #10 ( like Fekir).

ash_86

I think after the loss, he specifically worked on the faster build up and was waiting for his players to show him. When it didn't happen, he decided to take it public.

Faetheshire86

I hated the press conference on Friday, but have absolutely no issue with this. It was about the team it was about what's going on right now and a reason why the performance wasn't good.

However, ultimately these are players Mourinho has bought, given contracts to, coached, selected. If he can't get them to perform then the buck ultimately stops with him. We can't buy 20 new players in the summer and hope that some of them have the secret sauce that Matic and Lukaku supposedly have.

Ban

Sometimes players give you a period above their normal level. This was one of those instances, scoring great goals, and winning us games. I don't think Lingard can keep this up. He'll might win us the odd game, but I don't think he'll have the same impact in the future as he had this winter. I'll be happy to eat humble pie, though, if he keeps on banging them in on our way to next year's league title.
Sorry, I thought you meant Alexis. :)

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I don't disagree necessarily.

Just that all the noises coming out of OT are that Mourinho has the license to make changes where he sees fit. And as a club, we are traditional in that we're reliant on the manager being the figurehead for operations. Mourinho holds most of the cards.
Then we're in deep shit. The mess that someone else will have to clean up will probably be immense, because make no mistake, he will not be lasting too much longer. May even start next season, but I don't think he'll finish it.

Ban

I hated the press conference on Friday, but have absolutely no issue with this. It was about the team it was about what's going on right now and a reason why the performance wasn't good.

However, ultimately these are players Mourinho has bought, given contracts to, coached, selected. If he can't get them to perform then the buck ultimately stops with him. We can't buy 20 new players in the summer and hope that some of them have the secret sauce that Matic and Lukaku supposedly have.
Well he's stilly playing with a lot of players who were at the club before him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Get the feeling on here people would rather keep Shaw and lose Jose, what a laugh.
It’s not just Shaw though is it!? He just said at least 5 players weren’t trying tonight, for what was our biggest game of the season after an unacceptable performance in the week. Our two biggest/best paid players were also on the bench because they don’t seem to be playing for him either. All week we’ve heard this idea that he’s creating a siege mentality Fergie style, one of “us” against the world, the trouble is unlike with Ferguson it seems like half the squad aren’t in the “us” category! It’s not like he doesn’t have form for this, he did it at Madrid and it happened at Chelsea. In this instance it’s sort of surreal really, we’re second in the league, could win the FA Cup and have just beaten Liverpool and Chelsea at home, yet it appears like we’re in a massive crisis, and the person who is making it appear that way is José himself. It’s utterly mental. It’d be nice if he could just be boring in press conferences for a while and impersonate our football on the pitch.

For all those saying the players aren’t good enough and we should get rid of half the squad, the much maligned Smalling is keeping 30m José signing Lindelof out of the side, McTominay is keeping 89m Mourinho signing Pogba out, Lingard kept 30m Mikhitarian out and Martial/Mata kept new shiny toy Sanchez out tonight so how exactly is giving him shed loads more cash the answer!? This squad with a few key additions at fullback and central midfield should be good enough to compete, hopefully José will be the one to unlock its potential and get the best out of what we have but it looks less likely the more the season goes on.

DomesticTadpole

He didn't buy most of them though, he bought Matic, he bought Lukaku who did the business.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He didn't single any players out. In fact, he only specified Matic and McTominay who he went on to praise.
He single out Shaw(again), mentioned our attacking players beside Lukaku and said they were hiding. Not to mention him specifically selecting only Lukaku and Matic for praise while at the same time shitting on other seems a pretty divisive way to go on about things.

This is how he starts his wars with his own players.

DomesticTadpole

It’s not just Shaw though is it!? He just said at least 5 players weren’t trying tonight, for what was our biggest game of the season after an unacceptable performance in the week. Our two biggest/best paid players were also on the bench because they don’t seem to be playing for him either. All week we’ve heard this idea that he’s creating a siege mentality Fergie style, one of “us” against the world, the trouble is unlike with Ferguson it seems like half the squad aren’t in the “us” category! It’s not like he doesn’t have form for this, he did it at Madrid and it happened at Chelsea. In this instance it’s sort of surreal really, we’re second in the league, could win the FA Cup and have just beaten Liverpool and Chelsea at home, yet it appears like we’re in a massive crisis, and the person who is making it appear that way is José himself. It’s utterly mental. It’d be nice if he could just be boring in press conferences for a while and impersonate our football on the pitch.

For all those saying the players aren’t good enough and we should get rid of half the squad, the much maligned Smalling is keeping 30m José signing Lindelof out of the side, McTominay is keeping 89m Mourinho signing Pogba out, Lingard kept 30m Mikhitarian out and Martial/Mata kept new shiny toy Sanchez out tonight so how exactly is giving him shed loads more cash the answer!? This squad with a few key additions at fullback and central midfield should be good enough to compete, hopefully José will be the one to unlock its potential and get the best out of what we have but it looks less likely the more the season goes on.
Just feel we have to give him another season, otherwise we get another manager, who will be fine until he pisses one of the players off and it happens again.

Prodigy24

I don't really blame Jose about the interview but we've been playing like this for almost the entire season. Passing it around in the defence, taking way too long to move the ball upwards and our attacking plan has been nowhere to be seen.

What I don't get is why he suddenly is so mad about it? What was different today compared to the majority of our previous games this season? It was the same dire performance after scoring the first goal. It's good that it seems that he wants us to play in a different and much better way, but it's not like it was the first time that happened tonight.

Hope the players react to this in a positive way for the next match, or else it might be the start of his departure.

Jacko21

Then we're in deep shit. The mess that someone else will have to clean up will probably be immense, because make no mistake, he will not be lasting too much longer. May even start next season, but I don't think he'll finish it.
Only time will tell on that one. He certainly can't start next season the way this one is finishing.

But they'll be big upheaval in the summer, so he has the opportunity to do things his way.

Hercules

Potentially trophyless and being 2nd is not a good season. It’s progress from the last couple of years but not a good season for this club.
Was last season better then? I mean Im as angry and irritated as the next person here, after midweek but what now? Was it dull today? Yes but what did you expect? Mou going gung-ho and winning 5-0? Nope, it was a good result with an okaish performance. Potentially trophyless you say, ok but people here believed that getting to CL football through the league (top 4) was better than winning Europa and now when we're doing that (with a chance to win FA cup) same people are moaning?

I was confident of a win today and against Chelsea and against Sevilla and against Liverpool, too bad we sucked against Sevilla but we have been good since the Newcastle defeat. The state here is, the time Basel knocked us out, people would have started 'time for Fergie to retire' threads. I know all my postsbash this place but maybe because they deserve it. Far too negative.

redIndianDevil

Think as someone said it is easier to criticise after a win, that it could have been better. After Tuesday's game he maybe felt he didn't want to kick them when they were already down.
He has had no issues criticizing them before. I think he feels safe to talk about players after this game because we won and one of the players he bought put in a good performance. Sevilla loss was mostly due to Mourinho's pathetic tactics and I don't think he wanted attention to that fact.

edgar allan

He single out Shaw(again), mentioned our attacking players beside Lukaku and said they were hiding. Not to mention him specifically selecting only Lukaku and Matic for praise while at the same time shitting on other seems a pretty divisive way to go on about things.

This is how he starts his wars with his own players.
Someone has to take the blame and it isn't going to be Jose .

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I said it in the match day thread but this was an expected performance from both teams. City have conceded 1 more goal from open play in the league this season than Brighton, we're much better 7 less. Spurs is equal to them, rest is worse. Combine that with our brand of football and we were not going to see an exciting match.

On the other hand Brighton are the worst in the league at defending set pieces so no surpise that we finished off the game that way.

Faetheshire86

He didn't buy most of them though, he bought Matic, he bought Lukaku who did the business.
Yeah I am not saying he bought all of them, I said he bought some of them, has given contracts to some of them, has trained all of them and selected every player on the park tonight.

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 76% of 602 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 369 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw