g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 August 2018

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
To be completely honest, although I was completely free I didn’t even bother watching today. There’s nothing about this football club that brings me joy anymore. We have sulkers, players who think they’re too good for us and and bunch of social media whores who live for the ‘likes’ and fame.

Topped of by a manager who once commanded respect from the very best players in the world and squeezed every ounce of potential out of them rapidly looking more and more clueless as to how to get this lot clicking. The club is sharply declining right before our eyes and it hurts. I know it’s the second game in but this ain’t getting better, we’re in for another tumescent season.

Roosney

I quit watching around the 60th minute. First time ever I didn't watch the whole game, I think.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Apparently Chris Hughton said we won't finish top 4 after the game? :lol: That's a damning thing to hear from an opposition manager. They never come out with things like that.
Good chance he'll be right. Bookies already have us odds against.

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
Yes, Lindelöf played bad today, but I don't understand why are people bashing him more than Bailly who was at fault at ALL the 3 goals.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Quick fix after quick fix with no continuity, that's our main problem.

The sad thing is that there is no discernable plan or strategy for what Mourinho is "building". At the end of the day, what yo see on the pitch is the manager's responsibility and legacy. We need to have a much higher threshold for what is acceptable.

Sadly, we need to get rid of Mourinho and start again. The next manager coming in needs to be given the remit to build a coherent playing style, and work with what he has. There is enough talent in that squad to be playing much better football. The other key thing is that the appointment needs ot be the first to work in tandem with a director of football.

Ace of Spades

No. You watched teams coached by an attacking manager like Alex Ferguson that, even in spite of any flaws in the team (which there were, at times, many), still knew how to create chances and score goals. This team can't.

The attitude of our players will be criticised, but I saw lots of running around. Even if it was aimless. The players wanted to do something with the ball. They wanted to win the game. They just didn't know how. They couldn't cope with the organisation and pressing of a better coached side.

Nobody walked about. Nobody wasn't visibly pissed off. Blaming 'attitude' is an easy way out used to detract from the more worrying reality that we can't play football.
Spot on. The players looked frustrated and tried to push for a win, they just looked lost. They looked disjointed as feck, and just could not attack as a team, which is damning. Also, this is not an exception, we looked very clueless against Leicester and all of pre season as well. These problems of cohesiveness and attacking were obvious last season as well. We scored the least amount of goals in the top six, and it is an obvious problem now as well.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Totally dispiriting today, seems a big dark cloud of negativity hanging over OT. Might just be mood i'm in today but the 2nd half is only time in 45 years of supporting United i was completely apathtic to the whole shitshow.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Don't worry, folks. This was just pre-season game, meant to build up fitness only.

Once the season start, we'll play our famous slick passing, attacking football again.

buckooo1978

Quick fix after quick fix with no continuity, that's our main problem.

The sad thing is that there is no discernable plan or strategy for what Mourinho is "building". At the end of the day, what yo see on the pitch is the manager's responsibility and legacy. We need to have a much higher threshold for what is acceptable.

Sadly, we need to get rid of Mourinho and start again. The next manager coming in needs to be given the remit to build a coherent playing style, and work with what he has. There is enough talent in that squad to be playing much better football. The other key thing is that the appointment needs ot be the first to work in tandem with a director of football.
well based on what the club have said and done in the last 10 days I don't think they are looking at quick fixes

they are looking into a DoF and they didn't invest in players with a limited shelf life against the managers wishes

I think that suggests we are looking post-Mourinho, don't you?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He wasn't the worse one out there. Tried a few things but not enough. Got subbed for Fellaini when funnily I thought he was getting into the game a little bit more.

However, Rash and Lingard weren't any better and apart from his goal, neither was Lukaku. Therefore, it's the same old problem, we have no attacking plan so can hardly put blame on any attacker. We know they're capable of much better, but the set up or lack of coaching makes it difficult to just throw blame on one or the other.
Really? Bar that run in the first half, I don’t think I can name a single thing he did well. He offered feck all going forward and was completely one dimensional running down Cul-de-sacs.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Shocking today.

Defo a divided fan base. Most fans seem a bit dejected at moment and it's not the sort of morale you need so early into the season.

Linedoff just isn't good enough. Honestly can't remember a match where he's looked anywhere good enough. Like having mata in at centreback sometimes. Mourinho signed him and bailly and continues to play them, so he deserves all the flak he's getting today.
We're not so divided anymore.

After what was, in my honest to god opinion, the single worst showing from a United team in my 30+ years as a United fan, I think the fanbase is not quite as divided as it was. Most now want him out and I consider myself among them.

That performance this afternoon reminded me of Chelsea in Jose's final season at the club - Dejected, effortless, clueless relegation fodder. I hope I'm wrong, but given the events of the summer; Martial, Pogba, Woody, the lack of transfers and the poor showing in the pre-season games (similar to today's performances), maybe it's time he left or we simply get rid.

Zizou is waiting.

::sonny::

Definitely relegation on the cards
It’s difficult to play against Glenn Murray, like Chillwell last week, who looked like Marcelo

I see a 12-15th place with Mourinho sacked

Carbon copy of his last season at Chelsea

Canagel

No. You watched teams coached by an attacking manager like Alex Ferguson that, even in spite of any flaws in the team (which there were, at times, many), still knew how to create chances and score goals. This team can't.

The attitude of our players will be criticised, but I saw lots of running around. Even if it was aimless. The players wanted to do something with the ball. They wanted to win the game. They just didn't know how. They couldn't cope with the organisation and pressing of a better coached side.

Nobody walked about. Nobody wasn't visibly pissed off. Blaming 'attitude' is an easy way out used to detract from the more worrying reality that we can't play football.
This is it. We lack direction on the pitch. The players are not terrible players. In training they seem so happy. I have no doubt the camp in general is a happy camp. This wouldn't be the case if there were 'attitude' problems. Our failure is a failure of coaching.

AlwaysRed66

No positive... maybe on the fitness gain for some players.
Bring on Spurs...
Fitness? Most of the team looked lethargic & had already played 50 games this season. The only two with energy besides the keeper were the two full backs, & Ashley Young was shocking. Strange the much derided Shaw was our best player, after their first goal anyway, & the seemingly fittest one.

redshaw

A few defensive lapses could be excused if we created chances and looked like we had some style of play or understanding.

That great start to last season is looking more freakish when you look over the last 5 years.

Seems like Jose relies on a bunch of new faces to help with moral, it worked great for half a season last year. Unfortunately we've picked up where we left off last season and have been playing since Christmas.

There does seem to be a board conflict of sorts. Martial seemed like a board/Giggs signing as did Shaw. Mkhitaryan I'm not convinced was Jose's but if so he didn't work out, nor has Sanchez. We already have Rashford and Martial then we sign Sanchez, while the right side goes begging. The two defenders playing today were Jose's I'm sure.

I'm willing to give the manager a chance to sort things out but it might come down to them blaming each other. If they can't back the manager and insist on Martial as an example then they might as well not employ him and seek a coach.

AndyMUFC

Was quite speechless watching that. 3-2 actually flattered us because it was terrible and god knows how we scored twice. We were shambolic at the back and yet again clueless going forward.

Think Mourinho is certainly culpable for certain things but don't believe for a second that the problem doesn't go higher either.

Jagga7

It was pretty sad to see how many of the players were lacking any confidence, it's only the 2nd game of the season.

freeurmind

weak willed
Apart from the defensive mistakes, I thought we were OK today, if Lukaku buries that chance we probably roll to an easy 2-0 win but we couldn't recover form the mistakes. Lindelof and Bailly were both very poor. Obviously being 2 goals behind changed the complexion of the game and we couldn't get back into it. Think Mourinho should have kept Pereira on, Mata was rightly hooked. Think we'll be alright, best to get this kind of a performance in early on in the season and get the reaction rather than start strong and fade away like we did last season.

AlwaysRed66

Oh god I just saw the Bailly pen incident. That was an extra special kind of brain fart.
The funny thing was until they scored their first goal around 25 min he was our best player, then suddenly his wheels came off. He conceded a shocking corner, after the useless Fred lost the ball, then lost his man for them to score from it. The third was a repeat of the 2nd, with Fred making a mess, & Bailly lost his head sliding in. I am amazed he wasn't substituted when we came back as in the 2nd half he was in meltdown every time a Brighton was with him. Luckily the sat back most of the half.

I like Bailly & the aggressiveness of his play, but the last year he seems to have really gone downhill, & is probably one of the most overrated players on these boards.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Apart from the defensive mistakes, I thought we were OK today, if Lukaku buries that chance we probably roll to an easy 2-0 win but we couldn't recover form the mistakes. Lindelof and Bailly were both very poor. Obviously being 2 goals behind changed the complexion of the game and we couldn't get back into it. Think Mourinho should have kept Pereira on, Mata was rightly hooked. Think we'll be alright, best to get this kind of a performance in early on in the season and get the reaction rather than start strong and fade away like we did last season.
I could get behind this if the team were trying out an entirely new style. I thought there were hints of it against Leicester. Jose's fast running out of goodwill with the fans though, and with Spurs coming up next, things don't really look promising.

MuranoLover

A normal play of a team without any proper summer teamwork , don't know what you were waiting for .

We will need at least two months to make it happen .

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Credit where credit is due, that flick for the 1-0 was a piece of art.

Canagel

We aren't good enough. I made peace with that a long time ago. I don't feel angry anymore. Just apathetic. It's not acceptable for United team to not be creating chances. Not being creative. Not having shots on goal. It's gone beyond analysing individual errors when the collective looks so lost and devoid of any direction on the pitch.

Kaj45rpm

No spine, no bottle and not fit to wear the shirt. Pick any player from that team today and that would apply.

Are they playing garbage to get Mourinho out or just incapable?
What did we see in Bailly or Lindelof that would merit them being a good signing for Utd?
Fred looks like a damp squib and least said about Pogba the better.

Too many overpaid preMadonnas who are more interested in fannying about on social media than doing what they are paid for, for a very lot of money.
Sadly it is going get worse before it gets better.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Lies! The problem today was attitude plain and simple. Fergie used to have worse teams with worse quality. But they STILL got through due to having the right attitude to their jobs. Attitude is everything in football. Today Brighton won because of the right attitude to their work! It has feck all today with coaching

The attitude of our players will be criticised, but I saw lots of running around. Even if it was aimless. ....
Which is the problem right there! Far too many people confuse attitude with work rate and treat them like they are the same things. United's attitude was poor! They were not paying attention to the game, to their opponents, none of their surroundings, nor execution of their tasks. Brighton did those 3 basic things and won by default without even having a good game. It was that piss easy for them. No one will ever convince me that is the fault of the coaching staff.

The players wanted to do something with the ball. They wanted to win the game. They just didn't know how. They couldn't cope with the organisation and pressing of a better coached side.
That is pure none sense, I insist. Brighton's win today had zero to do with coaching nor organisation. It was strictly down to attitude. You have plain lost your mind if you seriously believe Bailly for example was coached to defend like he did today. Or Pogba was coached to give away the ball every time he tried to passed it.....

The reality is pretending the attitude was not shocking is a classic case of scapegoating the coaching staff for players making asses of themselves

Last edited:

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It's honestly worrying that a team comprising players like Mata, Pereira, Fred, and Pogba can't retain possession against Brighton. I'm still clinging on to the slight hope that Jose's trying to change our style and these are the teething problems we're witnessing now, but how likely is that, and how likely is he to succeed anyway? A trouncing by Brighton, and Spurs next... Jose's not going to risk another humiliation for the sake of developing a new style.

red_john

Terrible performance from everyone. There is something not working and it needs to change fast. I ask myself the same question every game. Is every player giving 100% and playing for the manager? The answer is no every time.

Kag

Lies! The problem today was attitude plain and simple. Fergie used to have worse teams with worse quality. But they got through due to having the right attitude to their jobs. Attitude is everything in football. Today Brighton won because of the right attitude to their work! It has feck all today with coaching

Which is the problem right there! Far too many people confuse attitude with work rate and treat them like they are the same things. United's attitude was poor! They were not paying attention to the game, to their opponents, none of their surroundings, nor execution of their tasks. Brighton did those 3 basic things and won by default without even having a good game. It was that piss easy for them. No one will ever convince me that is the fault of the coaching staff.

That is pure none sense, I insist. Brighton's win today had zero to do with coaching nor organisation. It was strictly down to attitude. You have plain lost your mind if you seriously believe Bailly for example was coached to defend like he did today. Or Pogba was coached to give away the ball every time he tried to passed it.....

The reality is pretending the attitude was not shocking is a classic case of scapegoating the coaching staff for players making asses of themselves
You've done a fantastic job at simplifying the purpose of a coaching staff. I disagree entirely.

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd