PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 August 2018

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Those defensive mistakes aren't rare for us. To make them again and again, when the team has collectively started to panic is a bit rare. But we get away with awful mistakes in pretty much every game. That and we have David de Gea.

Red Daigo

Woke up feeling positive till i saw the result, back in bed now

Last edited by a moderator:

Rysho

I have just several posts left today, but i feel i have to write something positive after todays game. I came from holiday today without knowing the result and found out that we lost. Came here so see the comments about the performance and get the impression that we were really bad and didnt want to watch it. At the end i was doing my work earlier so went to watch the match before sleep and except the bad mistakes i enjoyed the match. For those saying we are not improving, i would say its clear to see our passing is much much better than end of the last season. Finally some nice triangles and a will to build from the keeper. You can see it from the lineup what manager wanted to do.

I would brand Brighton as a Stoke category team with big players and aggressive style o play with added fast passing passages of play when counter attacking. So big surprise from Mourinho to start without Fellaini/McTominay. Clearly wanted to pass around and through the press. i cant remember when we tried to pass around the box to beat the press. Today, it was countless of times. Enjoyed that.

After the mistakes, De Gea was less confident and always sent the players higher, but the start was positive. Maybe this was the "confidence" thing for manager. For me, the change of style was visible and was pleased for that. Just hope it will be the same with change of players (in doubt with Chris in).

To the match, i was very frustrated with referee. Didn't give single decision. Not only 50/50. Counted several wrong throwins to Brighton. Pogba most creative player gave away most fouls and Murray didnt send off for countless bad fouls. Not to say that penalty with VAR. Player went for penalty not for goal. It was typical match cant touch him/he cant break your legs. If i was playing in this match, i would be off before end, so frustrating.

To the mistakes. For the first goal, 3/4 mistakes in succession with Mata/Fred, Bailly and Lindelof at the end are very rare, i would say just bad luck. I was mad at second goal, do the basics and clear the ball, no communication, ball watching players this was the worst thing. Third goal, De Gea took responsibility and made mistake.

To the players. No leaders. Missing after 2-0 down, Pogba nonexistent in first half as a player and the most as a captain. Can accept his comments after the match, he should keep the team together fighting. Second half, took task from Andreas and wasn't able to do the basics, misplaced passes all over the pitch, biggest disappointment this match. Back to positive things, very pleased for Fred, he could be the answer to Pogbas lack of workrate and discipline, when he gets used to PL. Young/Lingard looked rusty but will be better with more games/training. Hoping the same for Lukaku/Pogba. I know, bad result, but not all dark and gloom. Support your team and manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
24 hours ago the majority were gently stroking themselves over Mourinho's pre-match comments about City and Liverpool, how he's back and ready to prove he's still the best. Match finishes and the majority suddenly decides that his mood can only be interpreted as if he's a dead man walking and he knows it.

People need to calm down. The underlying issues haven't changed from last season, that's why i don't understand the hyperbole. If the only concept people understand is 3 points= great, 0 points = shit, then by all means, the reactions are somewhat understandable, but considering out general approach to matches it shouldn't come as a surprise that there will be matches like this. It's just a weird concept,people were surprisingly fine with Mkhitaryan playing poorly but popping up with an assist or goal, then he turned into one of the most loathed players as soon as the assists and goals dried up, i find it strange.

Blaming individual players feels somewhat meaningless, when the entire team looks clueless it's not because of individual players, it's because the group of players aren't functioning together, which is down to the manager and the tactics. Bailly looked absolutely gutted out there from early on, he was convinced that this match was over, couldn't get over the initial mistakes, that's a bit of a negative sign, and he wasn't the only one.

We need to get the ball to the attacking players in positions where they can actually create something. I see people complaining about Martial running in paralell to Pogba a few times. It's easy, it's because if Pogba loses the ball there's a huge gap behind him that another players has to cover, our attacking players are attacking while focusing on the defensive duties they have, not to mention the fear of fecking up and the consequences it'll have. We were desperate for either Bailly or Lindeløf to carry the ball forward and create some space for the midfielders, barely happens. There's a lack of movement and understanding between all the players. Lukaku has been reduced to an isolated target man up front, barely involved whatsoever in our general play, he scores from a freak situation where he shows good instinct, but he doesn't appear to be suited to the role that Jose wants him to play.

It's our second match of the season, players are still returning to fitness, calm down. There's still far too much individual quality for this to be a disaster of a season.
This.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need a manager who can get us playing like a proper team. The big spending will happen. But unless we start playing slick, cohesive and organised football, we have no chance of winning big trophies regardless of how much we spend.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think I’ve switched off the game before the 90 was up only twice in my whole life watching United. Today was almost going to be third and it’s absurd to be saying that 2 games into the season seeing as my last two were near the end of the seasons...

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I think I’ve switched off the game before the 90 was up only twice in my whole life watching United. Today was almost going to be third and it’s absurd to be saying that 2 games into the season seeing as my last two were near the end of the seasons...
I almost did the same. It was tumescent and genuinely hard to watch.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm someone who's known to my family to be rather slow to realise things. So when it gets to the point where even I can predict, quite often, how United games are going to pan out then something is very stale about the club (for all the talk of progress). As I posted earlier, how many of us just knew we'd concede against Leicester despite our comfortable lead? How many knew that a little passion on Brighton's part would be enough for them to beat us? These things happen time and again in recent years...

peridigm

I have just several posts left today, but i feel i have to write something positive after todays game. I came from holiday today without knowing the result and found out that we lost. Came here so see the comments about the performance and get the impression that we were really bad and didnt want to watch it. At the end i was doing my work earlier so went to watch the match before sleep and except the bad mistakes i enjoyed the match. For those saying we are not improving, i would say its clear to see our passing is much much better than end of the last season. Finally some nice triangles and a will to build from the keeper. You can see it from the lineup what manager wanted to do.

I would brand Brighton as a Stoke category team with big players and aggressive style o play with added fast passing passages of play when counter attacking. So big surprise from Mourinho to start without Fellaini/McTominay. Clearly wanted to pass around and through the press. i cant remember when we tried to pass around the box to beat the press. Today, it was countless of times. Enjoyed that.

After the mistakes, De Gea was less confident and always sent the players higher, but the start was positive. Maybe this was the "confidence" thing for manager. For me, the change of style was visible and was pleased for that. Just hope it will be the same with change of players (in doubt with Chris in).

To the match, i was very frustrated with referee. Didn't give single decision. Not only 50/50. Counted several wrong throwins to Brighton. Pogba most creative player gave away most fouls and Murray didnt send off for countless bad fouls. Not to say that penalty with VAR. Player went for penalty not for goal. It was typical match cant touch him/he cant break your legs. If i was playing in this match, i would be off before end, so frustrating.

To the mistakes. For the first goal, 3/4 mistakes in succession with Mata/Fred, Bailly and Lindelof at the end are very rare, i would say just bad luck. I was mad at second goal, do the basics and clear the ball, no communication, ball watching players this was the worst thing. Third goal, De Gea took responsibility and made mistake.

To the players. No leaders. Missing after 2-0 down, Pogba nonexistent in first half as a player and the most as a captain. Can accept his comments after the match, he should keep the team together fighting. Second half, took task from Andreas and wasn't able to do the basics, misplaced passes all over the pitch, biggest disappointment this match. Back to positive things, very pleased for Fred, he could be the answer to Pogbas lack of workrate and discipline, when he gets used to PL. Young/Lingard looked rusty but will be better with more games/training. Hoping the same for Lukaku/Pogba. I know, bad result, but not all dark and gloom. Support your team and manager.
There is no way you watched the same game as the rest of us and can honestly say you enjoyed that. Something is seriously wrong with you.

caid

I cant hold that game against Mourinho. Would have been really difficult with any one of Pereira, Bailly or Pogba putting in that kind of performance. They'll struggle to have a worse game in their career and I dont think I'm being dramatic. No one comes out with credit but it'd be really hard to have a good game with the circus act them three were putting on.

RedDevil@84

Keown: The defenders played badly today because Jose destroyed their confidence by going in market publicly for new defenders.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

redIndianDevil

People calling for the manager's head, fair enough. I get it...

However, this shit has been happening since 2013, under three different managers. There is something rotten at the club and it's not all down to the managers
A absolutely crap manager who had not been able to hold onto a job since being fired by us, a completely past it manager with very poor man management skills and a manager who is close to becoming past it and even poorer man management skills than the last one. We are yet to appoint a decent manager since SAF.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I think we may have to get used to the idea that Mourinho is not going anywhere, regardless of how we play, until it is mathematically impossible to get top four. That is when the business side comes into serious jeopardy and that is what football is about now. It will apparently cost around £12 million to sack Mourinho, the board won't do that easily until the situation is costing them more than the sacking!
That logic doesn't really work though. Once you're mathematically out of CL contention the damage has been done. You lose out on however many millions the CL is worth, and then add a £12m payoff.
Sure it's better to take the hit on the payoff in the hope of rescuing the CL windfall.

PaulRich

There isn't a leader amongst them on that pitch. Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce, Jaap Stam, Scholes et al would never have let that shambles unfold yesterday. Never.

Beagle

What happened with that goal kick before the 3rd goal. Usually when De Gea distributes the ball to feet, the CBs go wide and Perreira drops deep near the penalty area. And when he goes long all of them push further upfield. Saw this yesterday too in his earlier goal kicks.

Just before the goal DDG tried hoofing it with the CBs near each touchline and Perreira nowhere near. Seemed like breakdown of basic communication. Obviously when we lost the ball following that kick, the defence was going to be badly out of position. Not all the blame lies with Bailly and Lindelof for that 3rd goal.

Reactions: Sultan

SER19

There isn't a leader amongst them on that pitch. Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce, Jaap Stam, Scholes et al would never have let that shambles unfold yesterday. Never.
100% true. We actually looked ok first ten and created two openings and were passing well. As soon as we fell behind, like so many times in the last 4 years, we truly seemed to just give up. There is no sense of leadership or responsibility- any neutral watching could see brighton wanted to win more than we did. Thats just not good enough

ravi2

What is wrong with you

SER19

Football just like any other skill will become rusty and you become poor at it if you stop practising. That is what is happening to our players.
So they're out of practice with running, competing physically and playing simple passes also?

suhaylah

Our bench players are not good. Bringing on Fellaini, Lingard to try win the match :confused:
Woodward looked like a bomb who was going to explode at the end.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Problem with the club is that we now sign players who are characters rather than players with character which is a different thing.

FireballXL5

After having slept on it....I'm still seething. We're meant to have top players and a top manager and we serve up that shitshow. The whole thing stinks and has done for years.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Mourinho cant work with the players we have and the players we have wont show enough desire to play for him either at present. Shocking all round yesterday, when did we start playing out of the back, its as if they have just learned how to do it the day before as it was comical at times some of the passes out from De Gea. At least United women got a win yesterday, with a bunch of new players just thrown together at the last minute. Wonder if Casey Stoney fancies the step up to the mens team.

On the second half performance, once we went attack mode we controlled the game and looked more like scoring than the first half and had Brighton pinned back for long periods. Why cant we pin the opposition back like this every game and not when we go down a couple of goals behind.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I completely missed the game today because I thought it was starting later than it had occurred. I don't regret missing any of it. I had a nice enjoyable day doing other things.

Thomas A.Anderson

This has been happening for 6 years so I'm not really surprised.

Blaming Mourinho and putting this on him is frankly ridiculous. We changed some things and tried something different. Most of you wanted attacking football and no long balls and this is what you get. Till 60' min there was barely any long balls on Lukaku, almost every attack started from De Gea or from our back through the ground, we took risks, we tried possession football, we tried creating, Pereira or Fred went deep and tried to move the ball, we created triangles, we tried to pass it to the opposition half and our players fecking scored 3 goals. Just in our net.

I'm writing this for years and I'll keep writing, most of our players are fecking shit. When most of our players in the game misplace 8 out of 10 simple passes to their teammates who are at the distance of 10 yards then mates, how the feck do you expect that our players are capable of going through a complex attacking plans?

De Gea's passing was woeful and he fecked up third goal, but we know that. He never was a passer. Mourinho knows that. That's why we don't play like that. Young, Shaw, our centre back, their ball control is fecking dogshit, you can't teach players basic football elements in Premier league. You can't teach basic football elements to someone who is in his twenties. 80% of our players have massive technical problems, and that is something that you just can't teach to someone at this stage.

This defeat surely isn't apocalyptical, it is just second game, most of our players had a week or two of training, but this will probably result in one thing and one thing only. Mourinho and the rest of the staff clearly have plans to improve attacking play this season, and this plans will probably go out of the window now. This team is not capable of out playing or out passing Yeovil let alone Premiership and CL teams. Mourinho will revert to his greatest strength, parking the bus and exploiting the oppositions weaknesses. It will be ugly, but it will be enough for Top 4.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don’t even know what to say anymore...

For me, fault principally lies with the players. But it’s worrying that Mourinho can’t seem to get a tune out of them even when he’s trying from a PR perspective.

The defending for all the goals was woeful, but the penalty incident really was something else :lol: The space between Bailly and Lindelof was a chasm. Bailly then brainlessly lunged in, even though the BHA player’s touch was taking the ball out for a goal kick. And De Gea is having one of those spells, like the WC, where he seems affronted at the idea of having to make a save.

For all the big build up, the midfield still isn’t moving the ball quickly enough, so we just look plodding and cumbersome, as usual. Special criticism for Pogba though, who is a massive baby - absolutely shambolic that this prat is captain. He channeled his inner Stevie Me yesterday, spraying Hollywood passes in between giving simple balls away and generally not being arsed. Seriously, what do we really lose by selling him? He’s done nowhere near what was expected when we signed him.

I’m not even going to bother with the forwards. To a man, they are absolutely pathetic.

Sadly, it feels like we are heading for a season of drift. If we aren’t going to challenge for the league (which we won’t) then I hope we finish outside the top four. It’s the only way the club will stop resting on its laurels. We are rotten.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
You looked miles away from where you need to be. Easy to overreact so early but the lack of fight was a big concern.

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd