PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 January 2019

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Last 20 minutes we went back to some bad habits. Put we should have put the game well beyond their reach in the 15 minutes after half-time.

We really need to keep possession better under pressure, Matic was pretty bad today I thought. Could really do with a more mobile playmaker in there.

Castia

Did well until the Brighton goal then it went to shit

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Fullbacks and right wing are shite. Not that we've been saying that for ages.

alsabi

Unconvincing win but that's seven in a row. Ole is now out on his own as the only United manager to win his first six league games.

fallengt

It's become obvious that our 2nd half performance under Ole is an issue...

OoopsMisclick

Not good enough.

Future also looks quite bleek for lukaku. He can't make an impact at all.
Lindelof did well taking into account that he played with jones, a youngster and a converted winger

Zoo

Made it nervier then it should have been. We had opportunities to score the third and kill them off, we need to be more ruthless and not give opponents hope.

Fracture90

Not our best performance, but still got enough. Feel like Ole should be making substations around 65th minute to change the tempo because it's around that minute when we start dropping off and fatigue steps in.

RedCurry

That was hard to watch in the last 20 mins. Ole needs to learn to gain control of the game from the bench.

AJ10

We brought the last 20 mins on our self, pathetic tikki takki nonsense in the second half and all Brighton needed was a goal. Good to get 3 points but bloody hell do we F about.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought Ole took too long to make the subs and they weren't the right ones. Some poor decision making towards the end but it's a good win against a good team. Onwards and upwards!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Second worst performance since Ole has taken over but it's three points.

The current backline is ultimately going to stop us achieving anything great this season though. We really ought to have won today's game with ease but we ended up holding on for dear life because of a failure to defend a non-threatening cross into the box.

On the plus side, we do like nice and fluid when we go forward, but I would like to see us be a bit more clinical. I also am not one of those trendy people who can see what Lingard brings to the table. He has high work rate but his quality is sub par.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'd say we need another CM before a CB the way things are. Fred seems to not be trusted at all and we cannot keep playing the current 3 all the time

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Too casual in the second half. Lots of players trying to score this unreal goal from outside the box instead of passing it.

Should really have been comfortable if we had been more clinical.

Rashford's goal was unreal though. Thought Matic was immense as well.

We were not really pressing though which worries me.

RedDevilRoshi

Got the win which is the most important thing but we made it much harder than what it should have been. Very sloppy 2nd half. Need to be much more ruthless or we will eventually end up getting punished as our defence is very poor.

Minimalist

Hard to be overly critical when the big picture says we just won our seventh game in a row.

That said, I was hoping to see a much better performance than that today. We should be beating teams like Brighton pretty comfortably (genuinely thought we'd tonk them 4-0 at half time) and should have done only for the second half performance.

Rashford MOTM - only bit of genuine quality in the match I can remember was his finish for the winner.

OneUnited24

Another win, cant fault it, some signs in the last couple of games though that we are switching off big time during the second half, no idea why, maybe fitness? Either way, it needs to be addressed
This.

I’m guessing the higher press has tested the squads fitbess and it definitely shows. Wondering if the excitement that Jose had left is starting to wear off

Prodigy24

Phew! Very nervy at the end and could have ended badly had Lukaku not been on the right place at the right moment in the end!

With better shooting this game would have easily ended 4-0, but instead we concede a rubbish goal and give Brighton confidence.

Glad we held on at the end, 7 in a row and on we go!

JG3001

Need take our chances, it’s bitten us in the arse many times in the past 5 years and will continue under Ole if not rectified.

CB, LB and RW required for me.

However, just happy to see us playing positive football and getting the wins. Especially Rashford who seems rejuvenated.

Alemar

A positive is that today Lukaku was really pressing the opposition when he came on, perhaps he reads this forum.

Other than that... Jones must be gone, we are very vulnerable with him at the back. Lingard didnt show much today. Pogba man of the match with Rashford a close second

Kapardin

Dunno why the revisionism is happening with some saying our performance was unconvincing. It was a solidly good performance for 60 minutes as usual. For some reason we dropped the ball after that and Brighton scored thanks to the defensive feck up.

Ole's certainly improved the team,now it is about getting a consistent performance for 90 minutes.

cyberman

Should have won by more but we know we can score so take the win v a dogged side and move on.
I wouldn't over think a game like this

Devil may care

We were fine up until they scored and then anxiety set in for a number of players and we lacked composure. Still plenty of good things in the game but that defense makes everyone nervous IMO and it shows.

Smores

That's why you need rotation as soon as our front line tired it let them attack with little counter pressure.
Subs were late and the wrong choice imo, Mata especially.

Still got the 3pts and we push on :devil:

beedoubleyou

Another test passed.

Not the best performance overall but some great stuff in the first half but let them come on to us later on.

It's obviously a work in progress, but a winning work in progress.

Absolutely no room for any complaints or negativity.

moodyred

Overall performance was good. Nervy end.

Matic made some good long passes but got robbed way too often. Need to buck up.

Need to learn how to close out the game. At the 88 min, we were still attacking and giving the ball away when we could have held on to the ball longer. Reminds me of a certain Arsenal some years ago where the lost the game because they kept attacking rather than holding on to the ball during extra time. Wenger claimed football was all about attacking after the game.

paulie m

You can definitely tell that our fitness under Jose was really lacking. We look great with the high press for 60 mins and it gives us the opportunity to break so quickly but as soon as we tire we really do look vulnerable. Still 3 points is 3 points. Ole keep pushing the fitness training

RedIan

We made hard work of that, credit to brighton they made a great fight of it. Our midfield doesnt seem to be able to control games. The holding midfielders often sit to deep for me. Needs that scholes type player to get control and we dont have it with this midfield.

Still another good 3 points, a great goal for rashford and oles 100% record continues. All good

Canagel

We're clearly a work in progress. In spells we look absolutely menacing and in spells particularly towards end of the game we fade very quickly. It's a step forward though. This time a month ago we couldn't attack at all. Once this team puts 90 minutes together in a dominant fashion we'll be ready to challenge for the PL. At the moment we're still a top 4 team and we're playing like a top 4 team should . I'm OK with this. our limitations cannot be improved until the next window.

pseudo_canadian

I hope Ashley Young starts as few games as possible for the rest of his time here.

Good servant to the club, but a clear liability these days.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That was a 2010’s SAF performance.

Just did enough without ever being spectacular and gave the opposition chance to get back in it.

But we took those for granted back then. We’d have lost that under Moyes, LVG or Jose.

Kag

Great for sixty minutes. If Lingard scores his open goal then were three up and laughing.

The second half, generally, was very complacent, though. Martial, Rashford and Pogba (and Lindelof, for that matter) started dicking around and Matic reverted to type and refused to stamp authority on the game.

Still, another good win and more attacking football. On to the next.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 66% of 662 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 413 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw