PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 January 2019

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Dalot's got something about him. Interested to see him grow rest of the season.

Need something down the right. It's non existent. Starting to believe something like carassco off the bench would be useful - pace and energy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lingard is not a starter for us. A decent squad player, that's all.

Took our foot off the gas today with sloppy passing and not really pressing with the same intensity as in previous games. I'm not sure if we're tired or what but today we were clearly subpar.

Total cockup for the goal. Otherwise another solid performance from Lindelöf. He needs experience beside him before he takes the role on himself, but the future is certainly bright for him.

Rashford is showing moments of brilliance again but then fecking it up by making wrong decisions like shooting from 40 fecking yards. I know you're high on confidence and all that but wise up.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Thought the players looked a little jaded in that second half. Ole needs to reset a few next week. I mean we have a powerful bench so why not use it?

We were well worth the 3 points, though. It would have been a lot more comfortable had we been more clinical in the final third.

Seven wins on the bounce. What a start for Ole :drool:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
OGS or whoever comes in in the summer has a big job on to get this squad fit. We look finished after an hour. The legs turn to jelly, everything is underhit or overhit, no composure.

When we're on it, we're playing better than we have for ages, but once the legs have gone it's back to not being able to string 2 passes together.

A win is a win though. Brighton seem to be our bogey team, even last season at home it took an own goal to win it, and we haven't managed to beat them in the league at their place.

jem

A win is a win, and I think it's a good thing that we are able to grind out the wins the way we have the last few weeks. That being said, I think our defence stills needs an upgrade. I thought Young was wasteful, and Jones and Dalot (for different reasons,) don't always inspire confidence. I thought Herrera was great again, and Matic for the most part, although he seems to get caught on the ball a few times. It's a shame Martial didn't score - I feel he could really do with a goal. I think Sanchez would've made a better sub than Lukaku (Alexis was on the bench, no?) Rashford is pure class, and Pogba was imperious in the first half; less so in the second.

red4ever 79

I hope Ashley Young starts as few games as possible for the rest of his time here.

Good servant to the club, but a clear liability these days.
We have just semi retired Valencia. If we semi retire Young it leaves us with Darmian Dalot and Shaw. With Shaw pulling out of match day squads as often as the government complains about the brexit.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looked very tired now... I feel we are too reliant on Pogba and Rashford. We need better full backs to add more dynamism down the flanks, and we need a wide man who can just run all day and ball carry.. If Lingard and Martial could be combined into one player we would have our answer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We were cruising through that, missing piss easy chances and then we go and concede. Jones and Young stick out like a sore thumb, we need defenders because otherwise we're going to keep bleeding chances. To be fair, Brighton were basically our kryptonite, long ball after long ball after long ball. There were still some good performances today though, namely Dalot, Martial and Rashford.

Main thing is the 3 points. Need to start sticking some of those chances away to take the fight out of them. Matic had a funny game, his passing was good but his defending was shite today. I think that was our first proper scare under OGS, the players got complacent thinking the game was already won.

cyril C

Felt like a second half performance under Mourinho
Initially I thought slowing dow the pace a bit is not bad as long as we control the tempo and know when to play fast again. Unfortunately everything just slowed down and we lost on those 50-50 tackle as well. Complacency is the only word that I can think of.

poleglass red

game we were cruising in ended up squeaky bum time. lindelof has to close that lad who played the cross down, too casual then dalot isnt goalside. weak goal but we deservedly won and we move on.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Cagey. Good in parts but we need to control games better. Here it was a decent team but still a lower half team and we played at home. Anyways, 3 good points on a weekend when Arsenal and Chelsea face each other. 6 in six in league for Ole! :)

MonkeysMagic

Good first 60 min but very poor last 30 min. Lost control of midfield and back to poor Jose tactics of low block which gives all the encouragement to average teams with plenty of ball and space.

How a good defender will transform this team, and full backs not contributing much affects our play hugely.

Arka_BleedingRed

Subs should have been Alexis for Lingard, and Mata for Rashford. Rash lost his mind a bit after 70-75 odd minutes. Lukaku was a complete pointless sub, couldn't hold up, head or link up. The sooner he is gone the better.
Still, 7th win in a row. The toxicness from Jose seems like a distant memory now.

KingOle

Supports
Ole Gunnar Solskjær
Same story as the past 6 games, good until the 60-70 minute then the air just goes out of the team. Some beautiful performances in the game though, the system and tactics Seemed more settled. Klopp used years getting Liverpool to be able to play high pressing and fast for 90 minutes. I'm happy Ole gets 70min out of these boys! Can only get better from here.

witchtrials

Pleased with the 3 points and the first half was decent enough but the last half hour was pretty infuriating. We desperately needed to restore a bit of calm by keeping hold of the ball for a bit but we seemed too immature to realise and couldn't resist playing risky passes and taking on defenders. Still rather rather have that problem than chronic conservatism mind you.

SqueakyWeasel

Had to close the MdT as the negativity was suffocating!

Wasn't great to concede the goal but there was more than a hint of a high boot in there. I think the ref let too much go that allowed Brighton to continue with the thug-life tactics. Never noticed what a bunch of cnuts they are before – every challenge is elbow/knee/shoulder first.

3 more points, thank you very much!

EwanI Ted

A performance that highlighted why a lack of depth in the squad and a lack of fitness may come to haunt us before the seasons out. But even though the end was a bit nervy, on balance we fully deserved the win.

Tony247

We absolutely battered them. Controlled the game most of the time. Good confident football. 2-1 doesn't justify good football Man Utd played most of the time and chances we had.

Brighton goal was on Jones. How on earth he misjump a simple clearance and concede the goal! preposterous, absolutely outrageous. He has some apologies to do to DDG
Lingard and Young both work really hard, but lack footballing intelligence. If we want to be a great side then need a very good midfield replacement of Lingard. He can be a good substitute but relying on him too much is a risk.
Dalot is promising and shows glimps of his talent but still raw and that is quite evident
Rashford is in great form and confidence. Hope nothing serious of his injury. What a goal that was!
Matic controlled his area very well and also linked up with Pogba. Both have very good chemistry
Herrera is absolutely brilliant. What a change from Jose's Herrera to Ole's! He was everywhere and his positioning intelligence is second to none. Very intillgent person he is.
Martial unlucky but sometimes you make your own luck.
Lindelof was immense. Strong presence.
DDG had no worries until Jones fecked up and invited unnecessary pressure on the entire team
Pogba had quiet game today. Nothing spectacular from him but he did very few mistakes. Good penalty!

7 out of 7 for Ole. Keep this up.

redom

The defensive structure of the team needs a lot of work, if we're going to press then it needs to be intelligent and coordinated, too often it looks a bit headless and players are just running to apply the press when there's an obvious out ball that isn't covered and so they just pass it around the press and exploit the space. It would also be nice if our decision making in the final third was better, our interplay and general attacking attitude has improved but too often the play breaks down when someone tries an outlandish shot or pass instead of keeping the pressure on and waiting for a better opportunity.

Hopefully these are all things that are being worked on and we'll see a steady improvement towards the end of the season because it feels a bit like we're riding a wave of confidence at the moment and the performances themselves are on a bit of a downward trend.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Brighton are a decent side, very organized, difficult to break down. We created chances to put the game to bed, especially Lingard that should've scored from Rashford's cross. High energy first half from us. Second half from 60th forward we kinda stopped playing, letting them back in the game. I was calling for subs much earlier than their goal came, think that was poor in-game management there, we needed more energy to press to enable us to be on the front foot. Oh, well. Win is win, we move on. :devil:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Solid 3 points but we need to work on our second half performances.

Alabaster Codify7

Take the win and run.
Not impressive at all but 3pts is the most important thing, Ole marches on! It's quite hard to look good against Brighton to be honest. Rashford was a menace today, good performance and a lovely goal.
Onto the next one!

Poor performance really.
Think alittle bit of reality is coming back with regards to this teams capabilities. Sure the result last week was brilliant but that 2nd half performance was pretty abysmal and today we served up a similar half.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Not overly impressed TBH.

2nd game in a row where we seem to go to sleep in the second half.

Spurs were always going to be tough, however, at home to Brighton, we should have been looking to better our Goal difference.

Ole seemed glued to the seat, the players seem tired or half asleep in the 2nd half. Better opposition would punish us.

This is where I am starting to wonder about the ability of Ole, we seemed void of answers to our poor 2nd half.

Still, a win is a win but I think the honeymoon period is clearly over and some of our players are returning to default.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Were fine up until about 65 minutes. We had plenty of opportunities to finish the game off, in particular Martial in the first half and Lingard in the second, the latter being a really poor miss. Attack wise we are where we need to be I think, we just need to sort out our pressing.

When we were on top Matic was excellent, he controlled play and was incisive with his passing. But when Brighton got a foothold in the game he again become a massive liability. He drops back and essentially becomes a 3rd CB and leaves a gaping whole in midfield.

Young was largely poor, made several mistakes that could've cost us. Dalot on the other hand looked really accomplished. Moved the ball well, drove at the fullback on occasion and was solid defensively.

Herrera had another great game and Pogba was decent, though not at his very best. It was a game to forget for Lingard, did very little to effect the game.

Martial and Rashford were constant threats. It's very much a situation of who plays with those two. I'd like to see Sanchez get an extended chance.

Foxbatt

I felt that we need to upgrade Matic, and Young. Young made mistakes that put pressure on the defence. Matic does not seem to know what is going on behind him. I also felt that Mata was the wrong sub. Mata is good when we have to break down defences and they have parked the bus. Not when teams are attacking us. I also felt Darmian instead of Dalot would have been more solid. We need to change a lot of things for sure and if we had been more clinical instead of wasting chances things could have been a more easy.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Struggled for the final 30 minutes.

I do feel we need to rotate a little more than what we have been, so that we have a solid 14 or so players rather than just the starting 11. Once our starters are tiring towards the end of the match it doesn't feel like Ole really trusts anyone else to be able to come on and do much. To some extent that is due to the players not taking the opportunities when they've had them, but I do feel we should be trying to rotate at least one of the front six in most of the matches. Not only does that give the others a better opportunity to show what they can do from the start with an otherwise strong team around them, but it also gives us an option coming off the bench that can come on around the 60th minute and hopefully give us a real lift.

R'hllor

Not good enough overall performance wise, if we continue like this, it will catch us at the end like always. Ole should stomp on it like now. Before we conceded there was a moment like someone decided that there was enough of football for today and then when we conceded they turned into chickens for the last part of the game.

We will never get OT fear back if we act like that, you can defend a lead but not look scared out of your mind while doing it on home turf.

Good win, good 3pts, great goal by Rashford.

Adcuth

Need to be putting away more of the easy chances we have, could have been 4-0 before they scored. We seem to lose the ball too much late on in games too and put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. Rashford was class, Dalot did well after coming in late. Lindelof solid again. Jones should be winning the ball for their goal. Need a dominant centre half to be clearing those crosses.

wolvored

Why do we go so lethargic in the second half? We did it last week and I thought it was because Spurs were a better team, but now again against Brighton. We could so easily have been pegged back.

mav_9me

I don't think it was all complacency. Felt some of it was due to combination of old bad habits and running out of steam. Obviously lot more work needs to be done. This should have been much more comfortable even after we conceded. I accept that Brighton would get their tails up but that shouldn't mean they have 66% possession towards the last few minutes.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Think we got too complacent in the second half, Martial's form is slightly worrying, overall happy with 3 points but I think Ole should've thrown on the subs a bit earlier.

bondsname

We have seen some amazing football under Solskjaer and it has been entertaining as hell, but all that matters at the moment is the three points. The last 30 minutes was frustrating, we tried to counter them with tired players which obviously didn't work. In the first half I was impressed however, everytime we brought the ball in their half of the pitch it stayed there a while.

I wanted to see Sanchez come in for Lingard, I feel that Sanchez could've contributed more to keeping the ball.

Get In Scholesy

Was a scrappy performance in the second half. Had a couple of chances we left on a plate, but when you don’t take your opportunity you let the other team back in and that’s what happens.

It was more or less how we fluttered more than what Brighton created.

Still have a lot more room for improvement.
A lot.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 66% of 662 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 413 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win