PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 September 2020

Coops73

If ever a team didn’t deserve to win it was us but thems the breaks...thank feck.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
If you’re a Brighton fan you have to feel sick after that game...

VivaRonaldo85

A luckier three Points as you’ll ever see again! I think they hit the woodwork 6 times and we get a penalty after the final whistle is blown in the 98th minute..... that must be a first?!

Really just a plaster on a broken leg I’m afraid today. Defensively naive and fragile and the lack of any sort of cohesive coached playing style continues to baffle and can’t go on for much longer.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You just knew they would get an equaliser and please now stop telling me Ole understands the DNA of the club. We've never been terribly great at sitting back and holding on - and we certainly aren't good enough at it with this team.

The reason we won it in the end was that Donny got behind the Brighton defence for the corner at the end. It was about the first time we've done that this season. And thank goodness we've got possibly the best penalty taker in the world - I wouldn't have put a penny on anyone else in the squad to score.

Overall, at times we were appalling. Their second goal was always coming because AWB left acres of space on their wide left every time... and I mean every time. He was out of position for about 89.5 minutes.

Good performances from Matic and Lindelof (in fact very good) and Shaw wasn't bad defensively. DDG was OK and he might have made that save just before the equaliser but it was more a case of a player missing. Bailly was good when he came on - at least he is brave

Martial very poor, lost the ball continually. Rashford not much better although at least took his chance well and looked sharp on the one that was disallowed. Pogba very poor, Bruno better in the second half than in the first. But it shows again how many players we need to even start to challenge for the title

Referee was pretty poor too but at least he used VAR as it is supposed to be used - and why it's a good idea

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Totally deserved that goal at the end. Great performance from them and really unlucky not to win.

Edit: oh wait sorry, we won it.

Denis79

Important win! That said we deserved nothing, Brighton was the much better team throughout.

K_Ash

This is not your "regular" BHA team. I thought the performance against Chelsea was due to the Blues underperforming and Lamptey having the game of his life..Well I was wrong..Lamptey was barely a factor today controlled by Shaw, outside of the pen. More teams will suffer down there

MonkeysMagic

Absolutely ecstatic with the win, but doesnt take away from the fact that this team has stalled under Ole and unless a change is made very soon we will barely trouble the top 6. Its not simply about buying RW, LFB and CH and that will get this team playing.

Structurally, tactically and physically this set of players are miles away from where they need to be, that's 100% on manager/coaches.

choccy77

We robbed them :lol: Brighton could have won that by 2 or 3 goals

Not that the owners care that we look shite, the champions league cash is in the bank and the Adidas money is safe no matter what we do this season.
Or 5

eire-red

Poetic justice for Maupay, a lesson for anyone to not be an absolute twat.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Well it makes a change to win a match when we don't deserve it.

Looked asleep until Brighton scored then played quite well for about twenty minutes and then invited presssure again.

We do not look fit and this summer break has not done us any favours.
Defence still looks like a sieve - was watching more Lindelof's positioning and awareness, he is so poor. That's apart from his weakness and poor heading and tackling .This is a must fix.

Bruno had a mixed match , gave away the penalty, didn't mark for the last goal but got an assist and a penalty.

Matic did well, Rashford was better, Martial not at it today.

Referee actually did quite well.

Anyway a win's a win, onwards and upwards, need to get match fit and we'll be fine if we replace Lindelof.

LoneStar

Penalty never in doubt. class finish.

This is the luckiest I’ve seen us get. Honestly they deserved the win, but I’m glad we won in the end. Performance and tactics were trash though. Only Bruno and Matic played well.

How many of these shit performances do we need to see for Pogba to be dropped? Sick of all the excuses for him. Pathetic.

lex talionis

Overall a poor performance, obviously, but we know we’re capable of much better. It’s hard to overlook the clear chances on goal we allowed but for me the real disappointment was the lack of chance creation. We scored three goals, but one was an own Gil’s off a free kick and the other was a pk off a correctly called by mindless handball.

The great escape yes, but what a disastrous performance. Much work to be done, mates.

bonothom

That was bloody awful. Regardless of the result, to be playing 5 4 1 for the last 10 minutes against Brighton was a joke. This is Brighton for Christ's sake. If anyone needs a reason to see why some United fans don't believe in Solskjaer then you only need to watch that last 10 minutes and the tactics employed by the brilliant coach. Time for a proper manager. Get Poch in now!

Dante

Average bang
I know everybody else is fuming at the performance. But I'm literally sat here with a massive smile on my face because I had no idea we'd won until about 10 minutes after the fact.

I'd had all that time to stew in the disappointment and then suddenly it was like somebody had stepped into a time machine and fixed the result.

Cheer up, guys. It could literally have been worse.

Roboc7

Total shambles and no excuses can be made for Ole or the players but 3 points somehow.

Looking at next few fixtures this will get ugly if there isn’t a complete turnaround.

Hester_manc

Everyone's talking about Sancho. But what we need is a central defender next to Maguire. If we do not buy a new central defender before October 5, I would really consider putting Smalling back on. He has had a really good season in Roma. Lindelöf looks awful and Bailley fluctuates too much in quality.

OneUnited24

Not a great game by the slightest of margins but at least we got the win. Far too many of our players lack match sharpness but I guess that will come. What most here don’t want to acknowledge is that we didn’t play many preseason games compared to the rest of the league and for me it shows.

if this continues past the next international break I’ll be worried but for now I’m going to enjoy the win and pray we add some depth to this squad. Also for all of those on pogbas back give him a break. He had COVID which explains why he’s so off

cyberman

BT trying to make controversies out of the rightfully overturned pen and handball at the end.
They were both clearly correct

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He fecking should. He knows we shouldn't play with Pogba deep and 3 forwards
Yeah I think Pogba and Bruno can't play together. Both are quite poor in defending.

Or they should tweak Bruno position, and play him close to Pogba and Matic

bsCallout

I don’t think I’ve ever found a Fergie Time winner such a joyless experience. We are an absolute mess. This is a win that papers over the cracks. We are such a poorly coached side when it comes to the fundamentals.
It doesn't paper over anything. I'm not drawing conclusions on coaching. There were individual performances out there worse than anything ive seen at United. AWB & Pogba being the main culprits.

adamwest

Server you right. Like leaving a game early.

Arsenal fan :lol:
To be fair - this is the second time this has happened in my 26+ years watching United. The first being the game against Sevilla in the CL. I never ever turn the game off but I was pining for a drink and that equaliser was painfully inevitable. :)

el3mel

Maybe some times not watching the full game is better than watching it. I'm the only one who is enjoying the win without having to worry about the performance that I didn't see. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
BT trying to make controversies out of the rightfully overturned pen and handball at the end.
They were bith clearly correct
Yeah but that's TV for you. The pen against Victor last week was debated at length.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Massive 3 points. Sat in a pub in London surrounded by Brighton fans and Abus and this is even more satisfying.

Giggsy13

The fact Maupay celebrated his penalty by fake crying but was really crying at end of it was the highlight for me.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 358 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd