LC W League Cup Round of 16

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 30 September 2020

Handré1990

Mata MoM, Bailly close second. Donny good, Henderson good. Mata with some high praise for Donny in his post match interview, will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Okey

Just what the doctor ordered...nice, handsome win. The Reds go marching on! The rankness of our second string has been overflogged, no need going there. But I think 2 of the starting XI today belong to the first. Hendo (can wait, I guess, just a matter of time) and Bailly (surely Ole can see that).

AndyMUFC

Good nights for Henderson, Bailly and MOTM Mata. Ighalo and James not so much.

Huge difference to the team when we brought on the big guns in the last 25 minutes but that's no surprise.

DarkRed

Bailly and Dalot impressed more then expected, James is disappointing, maybe he should go on loan.
Dalot also looked solid defensively so maybe it is something to think about.

Alemar

Henderson - clean sheet, several good saves, including one world class save at 1-0.

Williams - rather poor performance, didn’t do anything in attack
Lindelof - average
Bailly - contender for MotM, excellent
Dalot - was nonexistent defensively. Missed 1 good chance to score, made 1 good cross for Pogba header
McTominay - didn’t play well, but scored
Fred - didn’t play well, but had a few shots on target
VDB - excellent assist, played decently.
Mata - another contender for MotM. Excellent goal, excellent assist
James - worst player on the pitch, didn’t do anything
Ighalo - second worst after James, missed one good chance, invisible since.

Pogba - good cameo, perfect free kick and his first goal of the season.
Rashford - quite lively cameo
Lingard - also not bad off the bench, but missed a good shot

Crashoutcassius

professional. fred and mctom create nothing but still make us so tough to create against, cover so much ground, both tough. needed the subs to really kill it. mata very good. james and ighalo looking increasingly surplus to requirements...

Judas

Open to offers
Easypeasy, Mata and VDB were class. Mata can make these cup competitions his own this season, especially if teams continue to play weaker sides.

Cloud7

Good win. Hopefully the start of a good run of form for us.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very professional performance and the club took maximum benefit out of the game: winning the match, getting confidence into players like Bailly and getting valuable minutes and fitness into the squad while allowing fiest

sillwuka

Positives:
Henderson making a great contribution, made up for him that he kept another clean sheet.
Bailly was everywhere, I feel like we see this type of performance 1 in every 3 games, hope he can be consistent.
Van De Beek and his silky link up
Presence of Pogba and Rashford was enough to change the game

Negatives:
Dan James and Ighalo are a level below what our back ups need to be at.
Depth in the attack is non existent
Lindelof is in poor form
Williams and Dalot show no attacking threat

cj_sparky

A bit like a testimonial at times, but that's a typical cup game I suppose with numerous changes.

We definitely looked better once James and Ighalo left the field, with some nice interchanges. Was a decent performance in the end too.

Great to see Bailly stepping it up and showing Ole he has something to offer. Mata was good as well always looking to get involved, seemed to be popping up here there and everywhere at times. Credit to Henderson too in his two games has kept his concentration and kept us in the lead with two cracking saves.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Considering all the talk of Brighton playing great football it only took them about 20 seconds to resort to long balls into our box.

RashyForPM

Firstly, VdB has to start against Spurs, and considering our fluid display without a striker tonight after Ighalo went off and Martial’s poor finishing against Copenhagen and Sevilla and poor performances against Palace and Brighton, it ought to be for him. Donny is so creative and intelligent that you have to love him. Nice lad too.

Also, Henderson was class and so was Bailly, who really should displace Lindelof now. More well equipped to shut Kane down this Sunday too. About Pogba, that was a class performance, topped off by a slightly fortuitous but still brilliant free kick goal. This performance is why he’s not the guy I want out for VdB and simply reaffirms my faith in him.

To end off, I will be sad the day Lingard leaves. Obviously not a good enough player for us, but he seems to be such a good lad who’s always smiling off the pitch and when coming on etc. At the end of the day, we should be happy in life. He’s also given us brilliant moments like a few Arsenal aways and the FA Cup winner. If he is going to Tottenham, or wherever, good luck to him and hope he succeeds. I’ll miss the lad.

RedRJ

I generally don’t like being overly negative about players, but I have to say that Dalot looks absolutely clueless as a defender. I can’t remember him making a single tackle and Bailly had to cover for him a number of times.

Gordon S

So Bailly is about to get his shit together? We sure as hell need that. Very good tonight.
Good performances as well from Mata and Donny. Love those little flicks from Donny. Looks like a smart buy!
Deano should definitely be considered to start next game for us, looks very promising! Nice little cameos from Pogba and Rashford, seemed really determined to play better than last time. We can play better but still lots of positives!

sammyhol

We’ve all been crying out for a decent wide player, but we looked really good in the second half with a narrow, but intelligent floating 3 behind the striker... clever interchange and movement.

A proper deep pivot pairing who suit the position too...

But what facilitated the space for the 3 AMs was the fullbacks being really high and wide. So not suited to our usual 2 FBs... especially not AWB..

I’d be quite keen to see the following set-up:

Williams, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw/Telles
Fred, matic
VDB, Bruno, Pogba
Martial

Gator Nate

Mata MOTM for me, in slower games without Lingard, he's class. Faster games do not suit him, he lacks pace, and Lingard messes up his rhythm, but today he was class.

Van de Beek is very promising. Second half he really started coming on.

Bailly carried the defense. I thought Williams did a decent job, Lindelof was nondescript but not useless, and Dalot did a fair amount of running, but Bailly was the man. Having said that, Brighton only had 2 shots on goal. That at least says they did OK. It's their lack of forward movement in the transition that's maddening. A greater sense of urgency would work wonders for our offense.

Henderson made one real save, and it was a good one, but he was never really bothered.

Fred was hot and cold and he frustrates me by holding when he should get rid of it and rushing passes when he has time.

The rest of the squad were serviceable or anonymous.

Pogba and Rashford transformed the squad when they came on. Lingard ran a lot. He does that. (Actually, I thought his shot, rather than trying to dish it to Rashford, was the correct decision in that situation.)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Dalot massively underrated in this game.
He looked a step off the pace, to be fair. He dawdled on the ball on many occasions, and his touches were quite loose. It's obvious that he's still to get to 100% in terms of fitness and match sharpness. That injury really did take a toll on him. Matches like this and a loan spell would help him get back to his best.

Hughie77

3 players, who made a difference, Henderson, Bially, Mata, excellent. Much better 2nd half.
2 games for Henderson, and the defence seem more confident he's behind them, that's what it looks like from me. Ok lots of changes from both teams. Also this is a night game not 12.30 ko.
It seems were better under lights?
Sunday afternoon we see how much legs we got, we will need it. Utd and Wolves seem behind the others in preparation, as both went longer into season. Let's push on Sunday.

Foxbatt

I see the positives in winning the match but there are so many issues to sort out as a team. I see that even Dalot was coming inside too much. He doesn't need to since Bailly is fast. Individual brilliance is what is winning games for us and even today it was the same.
I would like to see Martial and Rashford together with Pogba, Matic, DVB and Bruno in midfield. Give Bailly a chance with Maguire

MrBest

Fred was shocking for first 45 mins, so many passes astray. Good games from mata, bailey, DVB and I thought Dalot was decent going forward but not so good going back. I also thought lingard was good when he came on, few good passes and runs and a decent shot. All in all, good result, improvement signs are there. The best thing that could happen is Sancho, Cavani and Telles by Friday.

Untd55

Alright, but nothing special - on to the next game. Second-string Brighton side.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Hendo - very good, one smart save, should play for England soon
Dalot - didnt Doalot
Williams - manic
Bailly - excellent, so much tougher and quicker than Linda
Lindelof - continues to look average
Fred - infuriating but does give us real energy compared to the Matic-Pogba combo
McTominay - good, nice goal
VdB - looks like a quality player, would love to see a touch more aggression and urgency, could have helped Ighalo out a bit more
Mata - very good
James - very poor sadly
Ighalo - meh

Pogba - jammy, his FK was going well wide
Lingard - stop shooting!
Rashford - looks back in form, which is great news.

Sing you a song

What became clear tonight is that if Bailey can stay fit he will solve our CB worries and a forward has to be our priority in the market this week
If Greenwood, Rash or Martial got injured we would be in deep trouble . Ighalo honeymoon is over Sancho and cover at CF is vital

Crashoutcassius

Considering all the talk of Brighton playing great football it only took them about 20 seconds to resort to long balls into our box.
yeah i think after 5 mins you just realised brighton didn't have the quality and probably just didn't want it, really wasn't the same side. I do think we did okay to neutralise them too, like many games alst season that fred and mctominay start in we are hard to get at, they cover too much space

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In reality just a bunch of game raisers and not much else

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 77% of 250 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 243 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win