LC W League Cup Round of 16

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 30 September 2020

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why is this cup being rushed through? Is the final going to be played before Christmas to help with fixture congestions in the new year?

Maticmaker

Like most fans I suspect, the real boost from last night was realizing just how good Dean Henderson is; nothing to do for most of the night but when it did matter he was on the ball. I'm afraid one more slip-up from DDG and Dean's in!

Liked Bailly's performance as well, somehow when he's partnered with Lindelof he puts in a more 'measured' performance than when playing with Maguire, its less 'bull in a china shop' approach, but still on the ball. Lindelof himself looked more comfortable with Eric, then he sometimes does with Maguire!

Mata and Donny look as though they could have some sort of partnership, but it is hard to see fitting them both in the same team, when Bruno's got to be included.

Bit disappointed with both full backs, although Dalot did make some good runs forward and Williams some good covering play, put them both together and we'd have a real top class FB.

Fred and McTominay put themselves about in midfield but both occasionally got caught going the wrong way, good job Bailly and Lindelof were up to scratch.

For the first time this season we saw some glimpses of the imperious Pogba, lets hope its a sign of things to come.

Although playing against a weakened Brighton (as at weekend) in was nevertheless a good win and a good performance and should take us into the Spurs match with our tails up!

Lee565

Am I the only that really likes the solid combination between fred and mctominay, I feel like their combination played a big part last season in being so successful against the top 6 sides and protecting our defence.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Comfortable win and decent performance, bit slow and boring first half, better in the second half and never in much danger.

Classy performance from Mata and good match from Bailly. James poor and Lindelof still our worst defender - Bailly must play instead of him.

Pogba getting some minutes to get back to fitness. VdB some nice touches in the second half.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
OK so it wasn't exactly thrilling but it was way better than the "first team" a few days before. I think Bailly and Lindelof worked well together (I remain more than a little suspicious that Maguire is the wink link at CB), DVB looked assured and found space which virtually no one did on Saturday, the Williams had solid enough game, especially compared with the horror from AWB at the weekend.

I know Mata doesn't always turn it on any more but he does have a football brain which is nice. Even Dalot was OK. Ighalo and James were pretty anonymous and should be seen as surplus to requirements: we need to sign a great winger and a natural goal-scorer, but I'v gone hoarse saying that.

Finally, I usually am not a fan of hugely confident people; it boils over into arrogance. But clearly Hendo is a very confident young man - and with good reason. He didn't even look like putting foot wrong - and it's a long time since we've been able to say that of DDG

Craig Ward

Scoreline makes it look like a routine win when it was far from.

Brighton again matched us and we were poor with and without the ball. But a wins a win so we will take it.

Positives:
Mata looking decent

Donny getting vital minutes

Henderson looking immense

Bailly played and didnt break himself

Negatives for me:
Williams - while he plays decent, he always always cuts inside when playing LB, he therefore slows down every attack and is very predictable. Good workout, a true battler. Just not a good LB.

McTominey / Fred - Coupling them in as they are both guilty of this, although MCtom is MUCH worse. They just do not pass the ball forward or move into space to receive passes from defenders. All too often they are static when marked - very frustrating!

Ighalo - Started well with us but has dropped right off. We need better quality up top to rotate with Martial, who himself is guilty of inconsistency on times.

James - I'm a big big fan and was happy to see him start off his preferred left side - but he just couldnt get into the game. He did make runs that our midfielders didnt spot or even try to play him through, which is annoying. Our midfielders, particularly Mctom dont seem to have that vision required to spot openings. Hard for him to be involved without through balls

I'm hoping we have a strong end to the window - we are desperate for outgoings and some new faces.
A CB at this point would transform us - imagine what an upgrade someone like Upamencano would be to our defence.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
James - I'm a big big fan and was happy to see him start off his preferred left side - but he just couldnt get into the game. He did make runs that our midfielders didnt spot or even try to play him through, which is annoying. Our midfielders, particularly Mctom dont seem to have that vision required to spot openings. Hard for him to be involved without through balls
I'd say it's more likely that his teammates don't pass to him because they have no confidence in his abilities.

Fussball13251

The football was neat for the goals. If we keep doing that we'll hardly lose.

This was a test because Brighton play some good stuff. We won 3:0.

I still wanna see Baily in defence. League no disrespect to this cup.

Because then we have a higher chance of achieving clean sheets. Annoying defenders make attackers have off days, I think we'll beat spurs.

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
They're not doing it well if they lose 3-0.
Well we were lucky to beat the first team, individual talent won us the game.

But that talent doesn't specialize in close control or tiki taka football for playing around a press. If Brighton can do that to us we're in trouble.

Craig Ward

I'd say it's more likely that his teammates don't pass to him because they have no confidence in his abilities.
James is the type of winger who needs service. He's a hard worker, but to play to his strengths you have to get him running in behind.

Our midfield are simply not good enough at threading through balls. We seem to insist on playing neat 1-2's to little avail. A midfield of McTom/Fred will rarely unlock defences in the manner which suits Jrunners in behind - McTom isnt capable and Fred, while better with the ball than McTom is far too reserved for me.

Having Williams LB is also a disaster for us - he had acres of space to run into but always, every single time without fail stops running, cuts inside to his right foot and plays the ball sideways or backwards. It completely weakens our left sided attack. James had little chance to be involved in the game with the way we set up really. Ighalo couldnt hold the ball up or link play either - his form has nose dived after a good start.

macmaggy

I'm still laughing at how Pogba is giving it the celebration like he scored a worldy!
It might've gone out for a throw if it hadn't hit the wall.
Good result though and a much-needed clean sheet.

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 77% of 250 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 243 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw