PL D FA Premier League

Burnley 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 August 2014

bishblaize

Few thoughts.

1) The 3-5-2 is going to take a lot of stick today. However I'd remind people that what we saw today was a continuation of the entirety of last season, when we played 4 at the back. I'd also point out we have zero full backs available to us, which means we'd play two centre backs at full back, hardly ideal. Switching to a back 4 ain't gonna solve anything overnight. Which isn't to say there's no reasons to drop 3-5-2 because...

2) Our defense look as nervous as kittens. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but they look as nervous as hell. Maybe a back four would calm things down. As soon as an opposition player vaguely wanders in their direction, they hoof it. I actually think this is our biggest problem. The bulk of our play should be on the floor through the middle of the park. However it only ends up there when there's zero risk on the pass. Anyone in the way? Long ball to the strikers.

3) Valencia & Young are back. To their worst. I think Valencia has had an okay career on balance, but he looks long past the point of no return. Young I've never been impressed with, and while I wanted to be proven wrong after his good pre-season, he's back to his usual self.

The total lack of threat down the flanks, combined with the defenders' fear of playing the ball, means that the only route to goal is direct to the front 3. And that's far too easy to defend against. Mata, Rooney and RvP end up feeding on scraps and getting frustrated - and of course it means when they do get an opportunity their touch deserts them.

4) Di Maria - class. Pitied him being involved in that today. The only problem is that we need him in midfield, on the flanks and up front. Moar!

5) Don't overlook our injuries - Adding Shaw, Rafael, Blind, Carrick and Herrera would make a feck load of difference. If Rojo turns out to be decent too you're talking about replacing half the team with players who are major upgrades on what we saw today. That can only help.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He didn't play like a captain. He was anonymous for large parts of the match and when a decent chance came his way, he blew it. I was one of those advocating for him to get the armband last season but he hasn't done much to earn it yet this year. Still, it's early days but the way the Premiership is, if you're not quick off the mark, people start to write the season off before September.
He'll never play like a captain because he doesn't have that in him. He's so overrated it's untrue.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can't remember a United side creating so few chances. This goes back to last season, more of a general observation really. I can't remember the last time we created a clear cut chance against anyone.

Tonjo

Went to my first match in Old Trafford on 16 August. United played Swansea and lost.
They gave me a form and asked me whether I will be back for another.
After watching United in the last 3 games, I don't think I will go back there so soon.
United were terrible in this new formation. The pre-season was probably a "sting" to get the supporters interested again.
Observations:
1) Young who do not have confidence to take on the full back and will slow down United by passing back whenever he can.
2) Rooney is more interested in his captain's image rather that put in the hard and tough work. I think he should be moved to midfield and let
Wilson have more chances to develop.
3) Fletcher is slow and weak. Surprised that he is chosen as vice captain. Choosing Van Persie may be more effective as it may motivate him.
4) Mata needed strengthening. He seems to be easily knocked off the ball.
5) Evans is slow and more comfortable playing on the left side of the defense.
6) LVG is so obstinate that he does not want to change the formation even though he has with so many wingers in the team today.
7) What happened to Reece James who could have played left sided wing back instead of Young? Playing him may give United option to change to
a 4 member backline.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't remember a United side creating so few chances. This goes back to last season, more of a general observation really. I can't remember the last time we created a clear cut chance against anyone.
How about today when Di Maria played VP in, and the keeper produced a great save.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'm pretty sure when we get players back things will improve. We need to go on a run though, even at this stage you can't fall too far behind.

buckooo1978

break is coming at a good time with our injuries - be great to get one more quality signing too to add a bit of class to the first team

our record this year is grim

Played 4 - Drew 2, Lost 2, Conceded 7 Scored 1

In those 4 games we have created about 6/7 genuine chances

m1y2

De Gea- The only reason we've come away with a point.

Baclkett- Too Many hoofballs.

Jones- Better performance than before.

Evans- Stupid this week.

Valencia/Young- Just feck off please.

Mata- Lost.

Di Maria- Shinning light

Fletcher- I love you, please retire. You're done.

Rooney- Off form and not captain material. Only shines when we're winning/a good team.

RvP- Off form, please let him rest for a month and play Welbeck. He was dogshite today.
spot on

2 man midfield

Silverman

All of our rivals are dropping points because they are all playing each other. We are making a complete mess of capitalising on it.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
More of the same really. What is really apparent is the lack of chances we create. Teams can simply crowd us out of games. United need to invite teams onto them and hit them on the counter. United play best when it is quick decisive football. We haven't seen that for about 3 seasons now.

Waltraute

She-Devil
I'm going with the positive first -- di Maria did really, really well for a first game so soon after signing, with no pre-season.
Right in there being constructive and fearless. No posturing either, just got stuck in. Brilliant!

Really sad about Fletcher, because he's a true fighter and great servant to the club, but seems his time playing on this level is over. Sad about the abuse he's getting in the match-thread, too. fecks sake, if anyone deserves a break it's Fletcher.

Evans needs psychotherapy. He's a shadow of his former self.

2 man midfield

More of the same really. What is really apparent is the lack of chances we create. Teams can simply crowd us out of games. United need to invite teams onto them and hit them on the counter. United play best when it is quick decisive football. We haven't seen that for about 3 seasons now.
Tbf it's coincided with us losing our threat from wide areas. We had it with Giggs, then he came inside and we had it with Ronaldo, then Valencia for a season or 2, and now since he's broken down we haven't had it. Hopefully Di Maria is the guy to inject some of it back, it looked promising today albeit he was in central midfield.

Mister Ed

I'm going with the positive first -- di Maria did really, really well for a first game so soon after signing, with no pre-season.
Right in there being constructive and fearless. No posturing either, just got stuck in. Brilliant!

Really sad about Fletcher, because he's a true fighter and great servant to the club, but seems his time playing on this level is over. Sad about the abuse he's getting in the match-thread, too. fecks sake, if anyone deserves a break it's Fletcher.

Evans needs psychotherapy. He's a shadow of his former self.
Nobody deserves a break, break time is over

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It concerns me too. It almost seems at times like Rooney, RvP and Mata are contractually obliged to start every game...

One of them should be dropped, the three of them are completely ineffectual playing together.
I would drop Rooney, at least the other two usually have something resembling technique.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Nobody deserves a break, break time is over
Fletcher does. Obviously not in terms of playing a major role in our midfield, but that's the manager's call.
I'm talking about showing him respect as a United player and human being. He worked his guts out for this comeback. I can't abide any snide comments about him, not to mention outright abuse.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Two or 3 seasons ago we would have been top with a +6 goal difference.
This is the massive worry. This was supposed to be an easy first 6 games, yet we're struggling massively.

Unless we get sh!T together we're going to take some pastings off the better teams.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't talking about today, was thinking of when he wrote a few months back that Rooney had peaked. We should've sold him last summer.
Totally agree. We got fooled into thinking he was invaluable. He probably was to Moyes and unfortunately he has fooled LvG and Hodgson into giving him the captaincy for club and country. Jones should be the captain. At least he isn't frightened to mouth off at his team mates. Herrera likes voicing his opinion as well. Rooney is only bothered about himself.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Fletcher does. Obviously not in terms of playing a major role in our midfield, but that's the manager's call.
I'm talking about showing him respect as a United player and human being. He worked his guts out for this comeback. I can't abide any snide comments about him, not to mention outright abuse.
I agree with this. We should all just accept he isn't good enough anymore and leave it at that. Lets not forget what he has given to us.

stu_1992

That was so frustrating to watch. Really poor once again. I don't think I've ever seen a United defence as poor as this. Any opposition looks like they can score with every attack. For whatever reason it has just not clicked back there at all, they don't look like they trust each other or themselves and it seem to be making everyone nervous. The lack of confidence is affecting how the play out from the back. Look too afraid to feck up so pass it sideways or backwards, or just hoof it up. It's killing our build-up play and affecting our whole team play. I really think sorting out the defence will go a long way to improving the whole quality of performances.

Di Maria seemed to be the only spark in the team today but obviously can't do it on his own. Not much to say about the rest, other than it's all so underwhelming.

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw