g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 11 February 2015

WyoManU

Another really bad performance. I thought we were saved by very good fortune again and probably on the run of it should've lost.

Ings made Falcao and RVP look ridiculous. Don't think Falcao has any business playing for us ever again. Don't think I would keep RVP around but you could make the case better for him than Falcao.

Evans just needs to go. Looks a pub player.

ADM was lively but need more consistency.

Poor Rooney, moving further and further away from the goal. Can't really play CM that well either. Needs to go back up top.

Thought Herrera looked fairly good coming on. He has much more comfort with short one touch passing than most of our guys. Isn't really a true all around midfielder though. Pleased that he made a difference though.

Bad game but good day for points with the SH draw. Gotta take what we can get to insure top 4.

DarkXaero

Got home during the second half so that's the only half I saw. Wasn't too impressed by what I saw outside of Di Maria showing some glimpses of quality, Smalling playing well, and RVP scoring a great penalty. Rooney in midfield looked worse than ever.

Hed Zitin

Well a result is a result but good lord this team is absolute shit. Players that cannot trap a ball. Can't pass a simple ball, make silly passes to people marked. Slow, no movement.

Falcao cannot do anything right. Rojo isn't a fullback, awful. Evans is a bag of nerves. Rooney is just not a CM full stop. Januzaj makes some naive decisions. Defensively we were awful. Set pieces we are so poor. Cannot win a header in our box.

Thank you Smalling and Di Maria. McNair is the best passer in this side, a kid CB.

Last edited:

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
That was piss poor, our defence were all over the place.

In fact we weren't too clever in midfield, and our attack was %$#@

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
How does Smalling get the majority of votes on the MOTM vote :houllier::lol:

Better second half. Nice to see Ander with a tidy display. Rooney is lost in midfield. Di Maria looked good. Defence fell apart again with the presence of Evans. Burnley should've scored 3.

The End.
Smalling was shit defensively up until about the 60th minute, but no one else was good enough to vote for them ahead of someone who scored two goals. That's why I voted him anyway.

Red Stone

So, chaps and chapettes, what's the bigger miracle? Winning that horror show of a first half 2-1 or winning a penalty?

Flying_Heckfish

How does Smalling get the majority of votes on the MOTM vote :houllier::lol:
He scored two goals but didn't do any real defending :lol:

Hard to pick a MoM but went for Ander, he unlocked the defence and changed the pace with that one pass, a highlight for me. AdM or Rooney probably the other two possibilities. Rooney was poor but did his job.

Evans and Falcao were shocking. Really, really awful.

mu4c_20le

Everyone is blasting the performance but I thought we were worse against West Ham, utterly clueless in that one. So an improvement, and building confidence for the youngsters.

matt23

Our first halves are getting worse by the week.

Thought Herrera probably changed the game quietly, Di Maria looked his old self towards the end, another terrible selection to start the game.

Mali_Zeus

We're third. But just because our opposition is bad.

Jokes aside. As I hear we were bad in the 1st, but a victory is all that matters. A professional one it seems.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good win in the end. Awful first half, decent second half and we broke well. Looked more like a Fergie's United of the last few years performance in the second half. Evans was shite again though, as was Rooney, Falcao (the worst of the lot by far, looked a pub player), and RvP for the most part though he got a lot better in the second half playing in the hole.

Herrera did really well again in midfield, just reaffirming my belief that he's comfortably our best midfielder. Di Maria and Januzaj looked much better in the second half playing on the wings, hopefully we stick to that.

Southampton dropping points at home is great for us. Into 3rd.

Loon

:lol:
I don't know what is wrong, but I hope they do and can sort it. This luck will not last much longer.

Raw

Complete wank in the first half, I can't even believe how Burnley dominated us for a full 45 minutes.

Second half was much calmer, still didn't produce a lot of chances though. Di Maria looked a lot better today too.

Boycott

I like to think this was Van Gaal's Fulham moment but he has managed to negate it. One of the worst team performances I've seen in the PL for many years by United but 3 points and move on. Burnley were excellent and I'm impressed with their enthusiasm for such a small squad.

Jev

First half was perhaps the worst half I've ever seen from United.

Second half was better, we killed the game but still managed to give them a couple of very big chances. Burnley deserve credit for their first half, they were bossing us at Old Trafford.

Performance wise it's very, very worrying. Results are decent but you wonder whether it's sustainable with such poor performances.

Another very bad game from our strikers and McNair and Evans were horrid as well. Chris Smalling vindicated by his two goals but far from convincing defensively.

ADM was MOM by far, was very lively. Good to see after his horror game in the weekend.

Hoof the ball

If you think that performance tonight was anywhere near an acceptable standard then you're deluded.
I never said the performance was anywhere near acceptable, but don't you think it's a slight overreaction to call for the head of the boss who has you in third place?

You have every right to feel disappointed by the performance, but it's just a gross exaggeration to call for someone's head.

Nights

Evans is terrible. It's like he sucks the confidence out of his defensive partners.

Glad to get the 3 points. Second half was a bit better than the first.

Shark

@NotShark
Important we got the three points, but Christ, that was difficult to watch as times, particularly the first half. Had Burnley taken their chances we could be looking at a completely different score right now.

Di Maria was our standout player, while Falcao was utter garbage. Evans too.

buckooo1978

first half horrendous.....

felt we improved in the second but didn't have any control of the game - felt like we just went toe-to-toe with Burnley in the second half and won 1-0.

- obvious Falcao and RVP isn't working
- the diamond isn't getting the best out of Rooney, Di Maria, Januzaj or the strikers
- our defence was very nervy and vunerable - Johnny Evans in particular was truly awful in his passing and general defensive work
- McNair did ok I felt
-Di Maria with some good crossing
-Rooney at DM?! - you pick a shite formation, get a few injuries in key spots and you have to make decisions like this
-hoping Blind isn't out long
- going to 4-4-2 seemed to bring out the best in Januzaj and Di Maria and we looed much more threatening
- really impressed by Burnley - Danny Ings was great

overall we were fortunate to get the 3 points and unless he changes the formation to suit the players we have we won't finish top 4

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I suppose, given that we got the three points, that has to be counted as a good night. The football was utterly shocking until half time though. The formation and personnel changes helped massively, can't help but think though that Rooney would've been better in an attacking role though, either in front of Mata or behind RVP (on current form Falcao is an expensive luxury).

This game highlighted that Van Gaal has to make a decision about the strikers. Rooney the midfielder is a failed experiment. Until we got a proper midfielder, Herrera, in at #8 we were all over the shop. Fair play to Rooney in the second half his game improved massively but you can't help but think he's wasted in midfield. Imagine we had Herrera playing the kind of balls to Rooney that he hit to Di Maria in the second half. Our season from here on out could change massively if Van Gaal just made the big call between the forwards.

PS) Loved seeing Adnan and Angel run at players. Felt like the United way.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Pleased with the result. We did play football for about 10-15 min which is something at least.

Falcao...what has happened to that man?

Glanville95

Absolutely abysmal first half and mediocre second. The win is nothing to shout about and if we continue to perform like that we simply won't get top four.

Leg-End

I really don't think we would be a bad side if we setup with all the pieces in the right places.

togg

I think what is worrying, is the lack of reaction to RVP scoring the 3rd, albeit from a penalty. There is just something wrong with this team mentally. No Fergie team would not celebrate a goal in that way no matter how bad we had played.

space

Good performance (second half), winning when we are clearly not in complete sync. Burnley start a lot of their games well with high energy, but tend to lose it towards the second half, that is relevant in a lot of games this season; we only conceded one goal (as Chelsea did even in the first game of the season) and generally kept them at bay, they did have several good chances, but all teams do. I thought McNair, Di Maria, Smalling, Rojo and Januzaj played well, the overall crossing was much better too. Falcao was very poor sadly, and RVP a bit anonymous but a lovely penalty. I was worried when Blind came off, but felt Herrera was decent, though Carrick is definitely missed. Hard luck on Mata and Fellaini, I feel they deserve to play based on their performances this season, and I think RVP and Falcao should be benched against Preston.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley