PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 11 February 2015

The White Pele

I can't help but feel we would have been far better today with Herrera replacing Rooney in midfield and Rooney and Mata starting up top instead of Falcao and RVP.

Man-United

Thats enough for anyone to get MOTM, have you ever played football? He scored 2 goals and wasnt the worst defender. Who was your man of the match then?
He was very bad yes. And Di Maria was my motm by far.

Ixion

How bad is Evans? I can't even imagine any club taking him off us.

Mister_Stubbs

They are so pissed off at us being third on sky sports right now it's quite funny.. 1 defeat in 18 games despite being in poor form says we deserve to be there.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I think what is worrying, is the lack of reaction to RVP scoring the 3rd, albeit from a penalty. There is just something wrong with this team mentally. No Fergie team would not celebrate a goal in that way no matter how bad we had played.
They probably knew that we didnt exactly perform tonight and Burnley caused us problems,Id say it was more of a massive sigh of relief we got the 3rd goal.

Getsme

I have decent wit, and intelligence but most importantly Im not a spoiled brat who cant give things time and patience.
Do you think LVG or the players should be immune from criticism?
Are you afraid to criticise the players or management in case it makes you look like a bad fan?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Happy about the win and back to third, the second half was better than the first, which I'd rather delete from my memory.

Smalling - Our Lillan Thuram, man of the match with his two goals.
Evans - Looks finished at this level, Luton next I'd reckon.
Rooney - Looks a bit bored in midfield, like he's a football version of Gandhi, silently trying to force his way back up to striker. Seems like both RvP and Falcao are in on that one judging by their performances recently.
Di Maria - Awful start, then hit back with some decent stuff and an assist and a peno.
Falcao - Is he the new Forlan? Feel sorry for the guy, looks lost.

Please let us see Rooney as a striker, maybe with RvP or Mata, and Herrera back from start the next match.

legball

Awful first half, and an improved second half performance.
Evans - this guy is so bad, it's painful.
Falcao - what else can I say, has to be benched, I've had enough.
LVG - Just has to remove the shackles from this team, and they'll play well. They are restricted!

legball

If the injury to Blind doesn't force LVG to rethink his tactics and get two of Herrera/ Fellaini/ Mata in midfield and move Rooney back up front, then nothing will.

Good result, next two PL games are Swansea away and Sunderland at home, which we should be winning really. But as we've found out, there are no 'bankers' under the LVG regime.
Mata can't play in midfield, he's a #10, Fellaini and Herrera, yes.

R'hllor

I just dont understand some people here...Having a go at LvG for putting Rooney in DM position...We had really bad 1st half,2 players lost due injuries,lost our only DM in Blind,who you would put instead?One of our ball playing CBs? Dont think Ander/Afroman would be much better solution either.

At the start of 2nd half he switched us to old 4-4-2(remember,during SAF,some said its zombie and outdated formation) we looked better,compared with 1st half our 2 strikers looked better too.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
For all of LVG's self professed brilliance we seem to be right now going backwards. Its good to be in the top 4 and thats a clear goal that needs to be met no matter how shit we are however the talent we have shouldnt be playing such low quality football. We are incredibly predictable right now. I counted 7 cross pitch passes that were intercepted today. We are so easy to read and if we play like that against Chelsea we will get hammered. In the 1st half we couldnt even string 3 passes together. Just awful.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Was thinking in half-time that we should be going with wingers and i'm glad LvG recognized that, because we were getting bombarded out there.

Shitty first half, decent second half... Jobs done, neeeeeeeext!

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Do you think LVG or the players should be immune from criticism?
Are you afraid to criticise the players or management in case it makes you look like a bad fan?
No, I know what coaching and building a team is like. I know that theres been many variables with United this season and considering the amount of changes in this past few years that LVG is doing alright. Is he beyond criticism? No but the level he gets on social media, the real media, and the so called supporter base is very disproportionate. Theres an instant results culture thats permeated football and has reared its ugly head in Uniteds supporter base since Fergie retired.

All those new players, endless run of injuries and implementing his style of play and tactics should afford LVG a lot more patience than he is getting. We are in 3rd place and he isnt David Moyes. Whats so hard about giving the man some time?

Walters_19_MuFc

Balance wasn't there for me in the first half. Again, too slow, predictable and narrow. Burnley were able to press us easily, as we didn't really have any width, or an outlet to counter.

Second half, Van Gaal went like for like, in terms of how Burnley set up. We played a flat 442, and although we weren't brilliant, we looked a lot better, in my opinion. We kept it better, played at a bit quicker, stretched Burnley, and was able to counter better.

We weren't great, but we continue to win games, which is the most important thing at the moment.

legball

Still a better option and superior passing to Rooney, but yes - I guess our first choice CM pairing should be Fellaini and Herrera.
I'll prefer Blind and Herrera, but if Blind is missing through injury then Fellaini should get the nod over Mata, maybe Mata + Rooney as the front two but LVG will surely not do it.

SalfordRed1960

A lot of good points to come out of that display, but typically:

1. Attacking formation that actually decided to attack at speed. The intent was clear though the execution at times left a lot to be desired. Naturally, with focus on attack that left us open, and credit to Burnley for exploiting. Great goal by Ings.
2. Di Maria was a lot better, because of 1.
3. Blind was very good until his injury.
4. We seemed to do quite a bit of tackling, even RVP got involved.
5. More movement off the ball.
6. Herrera got some minutes.

Some usual bad points:

1. Rooney started off in slow motion, lots of really poor passing, though he got better in second half
2. Adnan running into trouble more often than not. Didn't notice him at all in first half.
3. Jones, probably the only player whose first instinct is to hoof it.
4. Evans has just continued his very poor season.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I just dont understand some people here...Having a go at LvG for putting Rooney in DM position...We had really bad 1st half,2 players lost due injuries,lost our only DM in Blind,who you would put instead?One of our ball playing CBs?

At the start of 2nd half he switched us to old 4-4-2(remember,during SAF,some said its zombie and outdated formation) we looked better,compared with 1st half our 2 strikers looked better too.
I'd say that Blind probably wouldn't be injured if he didn't set up the team way he did in the first place, i.e. if he didn't let Burnley be all over us due to no fecking midfield. Jones is just being Jones, he can't even fecking walk properly so his injury was inevitable, sooner or later that is.

As I've said, I think he should've put Fellaini at CDM as he's played that role in 352 for us already, no Rolls-Royce but surely an improvement on Rooney playing CDM which is a joke, a very sad one on top of that.

pascell

Hoping the Glazers and Woodward have a word in van Gaal's ear about that dreadful first half performance. On the plus side, least it'll show more money needs to be spent! Still don't think we'll achieve top 4, the run of fixtures in April will kill us off.

Hoof the ball

I didn't call for his head.

I said that people will begin to call for his head if things continue (or words to that effect). I can't remember the last time we convinced over 90 minutes. We're in February now, so it's not unreasonable to ask for some team cohesion.

Some of the performances tonight were embarrassing.

Meanwhile, Van Gaal continues to duck the difficult decisions, such as ditching Falcao. The bloke is a wage thief; there's absolutely no defending him.
As long as we're in third place and it is his debut season, no one should be calling for his head. We make the Champions League, he brings in who he wishes in the summer, and we assess from there whether people ought to be calling for his head.

I agree with you concerning Falcao. His technical abilities on the ball don't suit LvG's technical approach to the game. To some degree, I think there's pressure to play Radamel, which I believe will be remedied in the summer when he isn't purchased. I still think LvG knows what he is doing.

goin4glory

Awful performance but a badly needed 3 points. You simply can't afford to play that badly without dropping points in the majority of games. Burnley should have been 2-0 at half time.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
As long as we're in third place and it is his debut season, no one should be calling for his head. We make the Champions League, he brings in who he wishes in the summer, and we assess from there whether people ought to be calling for his head.

I agree with you concerning Falcao. His technical abilities on the ball don't suit LvG's technical approach to the game. To some degree, I think there's pressure to play Radamel, which I believe will be remedied in the summer when he isn't purchased. I still think LvG knows what he is doing.
I agree with that.

But with our killer run-in allied to the fact that we're only five points clear of Liverpool, I don't think we ca count our chickens when it comes to Champions League qualification.

We really fecked up against Southampton. A win at home against them would've put us well clear of the pack.

Ralph1386

If LVG dropped the 3-5-2 then this gives me hope he'll drop the whole no CM and 3 CF bull$hit at some point. Right?

SalfordRed1960

We're five clear of Liverpool in 7th with a killer run-in.

I'm not counting our chickens.
But this weekend the gap will likely grow.

I fancy us against the big teams as they are playing catch up and it is they that need to beat us. Leaves us with lots of opportunity for goal scoring machine Smalling to get us the points.

I doubt Chelsea will care, the will have probably won the league by then. City are pretty well on course for 2nd.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
True but their run in doesn't look all that easy too. I think we're in a tad better position because we've got a cushion.
True. The Dippers have a tricky run-in too. Hopefully Europa League fixtures will take it out of them too.

Shark

@NotShark
I agree with that.

But with our killer run-in allied to the fact that we're only five points clear of Liverpool, I don't think we ca count our chickens when it comes to Champions League qualification.

We really fecked up against Southampton. A win at home against them would've put us well clear of the pack.
Liverpool have City and Southampton next. That 5 points could potentially become 8 or 9. I wouldn't worry about them.

Mali_Zeus

I agree with that.

Why do people keep mentioning Liverpool. Yes they're in a good form but Europa league is back soon for them and their next 2 games are really tuff, Southampton and City. Yes we have a hell of a march and all but cause of that we need to try to make a bit of cushion before that if possible.
People keep banging about us being found out once we will play tougher teams but we heard that already and we were quite good against them I think. Not a certainty it will happen again but we wont exactly get beat 3:0 or 5:0 in those games.

SqueakyWeasel

True but their run in doesn't look all that easy too. I think we're in a tad better position because we've got a cushion.
And I keep saying … City, 'pool, Spurs and Arsenal ALL have Europe coming up … 'pool also still in the FA cup too. Spurs particularly had problems juggling so many games earlier in the season and I really think them and the dippers will fall out of the race (then Europe :lol:)

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley