PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 11 February 2015

m1y2

How does Smalling get the majority of votes on the MOTM vote :wenger::lol:

Better second half. Nice to see Ander with a tidy display. Rooney is lost in midfield. Di Maria looked good. Defence fell apart again with the presence of Evans. Burnley should've scored 3.

The End.
He won us the game so I guess he is rightly voted MOTM. Everybody today did a mistake and worse but apart that he Chris was rock again and scored two goals. What is so funny about it?

::sonny::

Pluses for me were Januzaj being given more freedom to roam, he looked electric today on the ball but ruined it through bad decision-making. Still looked very direct which is a plus. Di Maria was looking dangerous cutting in... Hererra looked solid when he came on.

I think this would be our strongest line up if we recalled some players.. three behind Rooney interchanging.

DDG
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
Herrera Blind
Di Maria Januzaj Nani
Rooney
Rafael, he is the 3rd/4th choice there

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If LVG dropped the 3-5-2 then this gives me hope he'll drop the whole no CM and 3 CF bull$hit at some point. Right?
He dropped 3-5-2 because of Carrick injury if i remember correctly. That was also when he moved Blind back to midfield from LB/LWB. Coincidence.:lol:

A truly woeful performance, devoid of any zip or pace. The problem is now clear to me now as I travel home from OT: Wayne Rooney. Slowing everything down. Bizarrely, the thought crossed my mind that if he got injured, LVG would be forced to change it. RVP was particularly poor tonight.
Rooney is not the problem. The way LvG uses him is the problem. If he had the guts to drop one of RvP/Falcao then Rooney would play as a striker or at least close to that. Him in midfield won't work in the long run, but you can’t blame Rooney for that.

Tonight's lessons, in no particular order:
Wayne Rooney is still not a central midfielder
Wayne Rooney is definitely not a defensive midfielder either.

Phil Jones' injury was a blessing in disguise. For once an injury worked in our favour.
:lol:
I just don't see where this team is heading at the moment.

Why is Falcao playing when we could just put Rooney up front and Herrera in midfield? It makes zero sense. He looks like a retired pro playing a charity match.

What is the defence trying to achieve exactly? It's like a synchronized shat yourself competition.
:lol: True that

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Wash, rinse, repeat

Performance very indicative of our season.

Empire

The manager thinks we need to improve the performance but agreed with the interviewer's assessment that we probably are a good team if we can play poor yet still win.

Acole9

Outstanding
Another poor display in the first half, but at least we won and are back in the top four again.

On a side note Burnley's away kit was awful, one of the worst kits I've seen. Looked like they were wearing tinfoil.

hobbers

Hope we don't see Falcao, Evans or Jones on the pitch for a long long time.

DDG
McNair/Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw
Herrera - Blind
Di Maria - Rooney/Mata - Januzaj
Rooney/RVP
Something like that is clearly the way forward from here.

Last edited:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He won us the game so I guess he is rightly voted MOTM. Everybody today did a mistake and worse but apart that he Chris was rock again and scored two goals. What is so funny about it?
His goals won the game, but despite that we could've conceded plenty due to his inability to defend before the hour mark. It was a poor performance in regard to his primary responsibility in defending. Take Di Maria's second half and his influence in 2/3 goals and you've probably got your actual man of the match.

m1y2

His goals won the game, but despite that we could've conceded plenty due to his inability to defend before the hour mark. It was a poor performance in regard to his primary responsibility in defending. Take Di Maria's second half and his influence in 2/3 goals and you've probably got your actual man of the match.
No just watch it again, Smalling made a couple of mistakes but that's what everyone did today..He was immense in the rest of the defending just watch it again.-) Evans was worse in defending. McNair out of his depth on the right and Rojo unconvincing.. Rooney gave the ball away too many times setting up their counter attacks, di Maria lost the ball or gave it away maybe 20 times!! he was one of the worst palyers in the first half, so I wouldn't gave him MOTM at all, he was decent in the second tho.

We conceded one and scored three, two of them including the winning one by Smalling so I guess he is by far the best player of the game..

The-Natural

Shambolic stuff and should have been down by a couple at half time. Badly Struggling to perform at home against burnley and needing set pieces to bail us out after all this money being spent and it now being February is pretty pathetic. People will point to us being 3rd and our improved defensive stats but that performance level was totally unacceptable given the talent at van gaal's disposal. Even if we manage to crawl over the line for a champions league place I must be honest I think the club should be starting to think about Simeone.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Rafael, he is the 3rd/4th choice there
I am aware he and Nani are out of favour, it is more the style I would like to see and I think those two out of the squad we have are the type of players who would be most appropriate. I want to see two tricky wingers, I want a dribbling playmaker at #10 and two technical energetic players in midfield. I also like my full backs to be good going forwards.. McNair.. needs to improve with his dribbling. There were times today in tight areas, he looked a little lost.

gasmanc

Banned
In the gods of the North stand, utterly froze my bollox off, the atmosphere went from bouncing to misery and then sheer bemusement as Burnley went from zero to hero in just a few minutes.
Bizzare game and one we tried ever so hard to drop points in but without our own individual errors were still incredibly difficult to break down. That cross for their goal was something else though, impossible to defend, even with defenders present :-/
A penalty :drool:
Third spot :drool:
We do need to drop a striker though, it's absolutely battering their confidence watching them run the same areas of the field.
First time I've seen Falcao losing his shit hmmm good or bad I dunno but something felt different with him tonight.
Can anyone see why lvg doubts Herrera yet ?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I just want add some objectivity here.
We kicked off at the same time as Chelsea.
Both us and Chelsea were playing at home.
Here are some stats.

---------------------Chelsea --------Man Utd
Possession ---------- 56% (44%) --- 57% (43%)
Total shots --------- 21 (7) -------- 11 (13)
Shots on target ----- 7 (4) --------- 7 (3)

(opponent stats in brackets)

Chelsea are the best team in the league (leaders).

I realise that we are not playing well, but we are still able to pick up 3 points, with relative ease.
Chelsea didnt play particularly well and they scraped a 89th minute winner.
Both teams won.

I realise that by now some of us (including me) were expecting Barcelona-esque performances, but when it comes to getting results, LVG's team certainly is achieving this (we are currently 3rd in the league).

ZDwyr

Did anyone else just not really care when we scored the second goal? I actually felt sorry for Burnley. It was so undeserved I didn't even react with any positive attitude.

gasmanc

Banned
Did anyone else just not really care when we scored the second goal? I actually felt sorry for Burnley. It was so undeserved I didn't even react with any positive attitude.
I am sorry mate but no, I nearly knocked half a dozen people over celebrating, it was much the same when we actually won a penalty, well once the initial shock had worn off.
The only reason to feel sorry for Burnley is that they have to go back to Burnley.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Here are some stats.

I realise that we are not playing well, but we are still able to pick up 3 points, with relative ease.
Both teams won.

I realise that by now some of us (including me) were expecting Barcelona-esque performances, but when it comes to getting results, LVG's team certainly is achieving this (we are currently 3rd in the league).
Excellent post... Good objectivity. Everyone said at the beginning of the year said top four is the goal this year. So far so good, even though we rewlly need to tighten up at our own end.

SalfordRed1960

Pluses for me were Januzaj being given more freedom to roam, he looked electric today on the ball but ruined it through bad decision-making. Still looked very direct which is a plus. Di Maria was looking dangerous cutting in... Hererra looked solid when he came on.

I think this would be our strongest line up if we recalled some players.. three behind Rooney interchanging.

DDG
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
Herrera Blind
Di Maria Januzaj Nani
Rooney
Why Januzaj.Guy is having a mare of a season. Been pretty clueless for most of his game time. I'd loan him out Ajax or something so he can get game time and learn to play the dutch way. Mata would be far more influential.

red_devil83

Yet more evidence that RvP and Falcao doesn't work. They're fast becoming our own Lampard / Gerrard situation. Falcao is barely worth £4m let alone £44m so he may as well spend the rest of the season the bench. He has the touch of a 70s television entertainer at the moment.

Yet more evidence that Rooney as a CM and then DM is stupid as hell. His short passing and touch were pretty poor. The only reason I can think why LVG persists with it, is that he wants 2 disciplined guys in there and with Carrick out, it has to be Blind and Rooney. With Blind possibly out? I don't see Wayne getting a chance up front any time soon.

We looked slightly better playing classic 4-4-2. At least it was more entertaining! Will van Gaal realise now that the dynamic duo don't work together? Ironically (considering he took Falcao off) perhaps they would do better with more crosses from a traditional 4-4-2.

Regardless, a win is a win, even if it was complete garbage in the first half. If we play like that against anyone half decent, we'd get mullered but we seen to raise our game to just about the level needed against any opponent, so I'm not unduly worried about the tougher fixtures upcoming.

SalfordRed1960

Borys post: 17099830 said:
Rooney is not the problem. The way LvG uses him is the problem.
Have to disagree big time there. Mata/Herrera/Di Maria have all made contributions when they have played in midfield in Rooney's position. Rooney is not stepping up at all. He is an attacker by trade, yet does sweet FA to attack, slows each attack down and has made little effort to press. Rooney is a lot better than he is showing. If Herrera can come on and make immediate tempo increase, then why cant Rooney.

SirFergie

What sort of shite is this? People like you, and there are many like you on this forum, are an absolute disgrace.

Who gives a feck if it was underserved?

Dumbat12

Here are some stats.

Both teams won.

Yes, but we were up against Burnley while Chelsea was against Everton (no matter in what form Everton is currently, they are still way better team than Burnley and with better players).

Not to mention these stats are misleading. We are quite lucky in our last few matches not to have lost some. And not to mention the football is just dreadful.

And 3rd right now means absolutely nothing when we have such a tough fixtures coming up. Liverpool are 7th, I think, and they are only 5 points behind or something.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Have to disagree big time there. Mata/Herrera/Di Maria have all made contributions when they have played in midfield in Rooney's position. Rooney is not stepping up at all. He is an attacker by trade, yet does sweet FA to attack, slows each attack down and has made little effort to press. Rooney is a lot better than he is showing. If Herrera can come on and make immediate tempo increase, then why cant Rooney.
It’s natural position for Herrera, so he looks like a solid midfielder in the diamond. Di Maria is a unique kind of player so comparing him to Rooney is pointless. Mata is terrible in midfield, does nothing on both sides of the pitch. Rooney is not stepping up I agree, but he’s been asked to play unnatural role for him. He has strikers instincts, putting him in midfield won’t work in the long run.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Why Januzaj.Guy is having a mare of a season. Been pretty clueless for most of his game time. I'd loan him out Ajax or something so he can get game time and learn to play the dutch way. Mata would be far more influential.
Um. No.

Not touching on your bit about Mata, but your points about Adnan are ridiculous.

Cantona'sCollar

I am sorry mate but no, I nearly knocked half a dozen people over celebrating, it was much the same when we actually won a penalty, well once the initial shock had worn off.
The only reason to feel sorry for Burnley is that they have to go back to Burnley.
This, pretty much. I couldn't give a @#( if Burnley played us like Barca did in the 09 final - we still won the game and are a step closer to the top of the table. We're Man United, we do what we want. :drool:

SalfordRed1960

It’s natural position for Herrera, so he looks like a solid midfielder in the diamond. Di Maria is a unique kind of player so comparing him to Rooney is pointless. Mata is terrible in midfield, does nothing on both sides of the pitch. Rooney is not stepping up I agree, but he’s been asked to play unnatural role for him. He has strikers instincts, putting him in midfield won’t work in the long run.
Rooney has played each position in midfield, so have the others. Have you noticed Rooney once try and pass the ball to a striker and then continue his run into the box. That is his instinct, Mata, Herrera and Di Maria all do and have done that. We will just have to disagree on this.

SalfordRed1960

Um. No.

Not touching on your bit about Mata, but your points about Adnan are ridiculous.
You watch different games to, or watch them differently from, me then. Today, nobody noticed him on the park in the first half. Then his passing, decisions and running in the second half were largely poor. Did he do one or two right yes, but he has been poor in each game he has played. In fact many on here suggested that two or three games ago he put in a better performance, but still below par. He has lost confidence and should be no where near first team selection with the quality we have on the sidelines. All of Mata, Herrera and Fellani should be ahead of Adnan based on performances.

Gannicus

Yet more evidence that RvP and Falcao doesn't work. They're fast becoming our own Lampard / Gerrard situation. Falcao is barely worth £4m let alone £44m so he may as well spend the rest of the season the bench. He has the touch of a 70s television entertainer at the moment. :lol:

Yet more evidence that Rooney as a CM and then DM is stupid as hell. His short passing and touch were pretty poor. The only reason I can think why LVG persists with it, is that he wants 2 disciplined guys in there and with Carrick out, it has to be Blind and Rooney. With Blind possibly out? I don't see Wayne getting a chance up front any time soon.

We looked slightly better playing classic 4-4-2. At least it was more entertaining! Will van Gaal realise now that the dynamic duo don't work together? Ironically (considering he took Falcao off) perhaps they would do better with more crosses from a traditional 4-4-2.

Regardless, a win is a win, even if it was complete garbage in the first half. If we play like that against anyone half decent, we'd get mullered but we seen to raise our game to just about the level needed against any opponent, so I'm not unduly worried about the tougher fixtures upcoming.
Spot on.

The remedies to our woefully dire play are too obvious to ignore.

Drop Falcao, push Roo up, bring Ander on and drop Evans. Do this and win games with conviction.

It would also be nice to have Carrick back. What's the timing of his expected return?

Rezyuz

Yes, but we were up against Burnley while Chelsea was against Everton (no matter in what form Everton is currently, they are still way better team than Burnley and with better players).

Not to mention these stats are misleading. We are quite lucky in our last few matches not to have lost some. And not to mention the football is just dreadful.

And 3rd right now means absolutely nothing when we have such a tough fixtures coming up. Liverpool are 7th, I think, and they are only 5 points behind or something.
Be a fair lad and do mention that we also have been extremely unlucky in the december/jan matches where we should have gotten 3 points and ended up with nothing. Thats football.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Rooney has played each position in midfield, so have the others. Have you noticed Rooney once try and pass the ball to a striker and then continue his run into the box. That is his instinct, Mata, Herrera and Di Maria all do and have done that. We will just have to disagree on this.
As emergency solutions, yes. Berbatov once played as CB, doesn't make him a good defender. But not as a full time midfielder.

Out of those 4, only mata moves into the box the way Rooney does it. Di Maria always looks for the final pass while Herrera stays on the edge. I don't understand your point about instinct though.

SalfordRed1960

As emergency solutions, yes. Berbatov once played as CB, doesn't make him a good defender. But not as a full time midfielder.

Out of those 4, only mata moves into the box the way Rooney does it. Di Maria always looks for the final pass while Herrera stays on the edge. I don't understand your point about instinct though.
An attacking instinct will always take you into a position to score. Rooney is not doing that. Herrera, Mata and Di Maria have all played up to a striker, or player in front of them and then ran on to get into a goal scoring position. We don't even see Rooney doing late runs into the box anymore. Last time he did it was Liverpool if I recall correctly. This is nothing to do with where he is asked to play by LVG. He has been at the top of the diamond and still didn't do it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Missed the game, but good to see us get the win. Sounds like was a typical united performance from this season though, with us not playing particularly great. Highlights showed some fairly shocking errors from our defenders that could have been punished as well.
Though three points at least, shame about injuries to Jones and Blind.

Brightonian

Got to drop RVP and Falcao for a bit in my opinion, and get Rooney higher up the pitch. Obviously, as has been the case almost all season, Herrera should be playing. Something like this:

DDG
RB Smalling Rojo LB
Blind Herrera
ADM Rooney Januzaj
Wilson
We need an actual wide player at RB - McNair is showing signs of being a decent CB/DM but he's not got any of the attributes of a wideman, and gets trapped against the sideline. Meanwhile Rojo and Smalling are more clearly our best pairing at the back with every game that goes by, so LVG needs to play someone else at LB in Shaw's absence to make that possible. I don't see why he's not putting Young there, he was surprisingly good during that run he had there earlier in the year, even when we were playing four at the back.

Wilson is in there because today could have been so different if there'd been someone up front with some pace and energy. Every time Rooney, ADM or Januzaj turned and came forward with the ball, they looked up for a pass and saw both strikers static, easily marked and asking to have the ball pointlessly played in to feet. Again and again they had to turn around and pass backwards for lack of an option. Wilson will make the runs.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Got to drop RVP and Falcao for a bit in my opinion, and get Rooney higher up the pitch. Obviously, as has been the case almost all season, Herrera should be playing. Something like this:

DDG
RB Smalling Rojo LB
Blind Herrera
ADM Rooney Januzaj
Wilson
We need an actual wide player at RB - McNair is showing signs of being a decent CB/DM but he's not got any of the attributes of a wideman, and gets trapped against the sideline. Meanwhile Rojo and Smalling are more clearly our best pairing at the back with every game that goes by, so LVG needs to play someone else at LB in Shaw's absence to make that possible. I don't see why he's not putting Young there, he was surprisingly good during that run he had there earlier in the year, even when we were playing four at the back.

Wilson is in there because today could have been so different if there'd been someone up front with some pace and energy. Every time Rooney, ADM or Januzaj turned and came forward with the ball, they looked up for a pass and saw both strikers static, easily marked and asking to have the ball pointlessly played in to feet. Again and again they had to turn around and pass backwards for lack of an option. Wilson will make the runs.
Agreed fully

Empire

Louis van Gaal was pleased the set plays worked since the team had practiced those. I think it was an area Burnley were actually very weak in, they have conceded a lot of goals from corners this season, looks like Louis van Gaal had a plan for that and it worked.

Kounan

I'd prefer this...

DDG​
RB Smalling Rojo LB
Blind Herrera​
ADM Mata Januzaj
Rooney​
I am not sure Rooney can do it as the main striker, not anymore. I prefer him as SS, or something like that.

But a bigger question, why LB and Shaw? What's wrong with him?

Also, I don't think that Rojo is doing much better than Jones, he is just lucky that other players cover his mistakes. The only improvement on Jones I can see is that he doesn't make really stupid mistakes inside the penalty box, but that's it.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley