PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Sat, 29 October 2016

MrBest

Oh the real difference between this and the Stoke game, Stoke game we were still awful and creates average chances. we played poor and never really bossed the game.

This game, we tore Burnley apart had 36 shots where we should of won about 9 nil and would have if it was another goal.

Against stoke we deserved to draw for being so average.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Top 4 chances done.

That felt 10 times worse than Chelsea. Absolutely raging.

It's silly to say top 4 is done, 5 point off with 28 games left. Classic knee jerk.

But I think it's pretty clear top 4 is the absolute limit, which we could easily miss unless we start scoring some goals again soon. 3 league games with 0 goals?! First time for years!

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Reminds me of when Leicester were called the most unlucky team in the league on Sky Sports News April 18th 2015.

itso 7

We were really unlucky, probably our most dominant display in a lot of ways and a lot of positives in how some players played. Darmian looked good, Pogba was pretty effective imo and Ibra/Mata showed a good understanding. Ibra though squandered some great opportunities and right now it really looks like we need to find a striker in their prime. Poor decision imo to take of Mata who I thought was our best player, I don't see what Rooney was going to offer that Mata wouldn't do better given their current form. I sort of got Fellaini for the set pices but then I think how many headers does he actually score?

Herrera sending off was a joke, he clearly slipped and there was no intention. But we kept going and like I said this was just a very unlucky result with their GK having one of those days. We need to get Ibra scoring again though.
It wasn't an unlucky result when the manager kept on an off form striker after watching him waste a dozen chances and then proceeded to take off our best player for fecking Fellaini. Ibra should have been hooked way before the sending off and Mourinho shouldn't have abandoned any intention of playing football when Herrera got sent off.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
As frustrating a match as you will ever see. To not win because you hit the post, hit the bar, you were denied a pen, the opposing keeper having a blinder, you get a poor red, or your team fluffs sitters - well any of those are annoying but all of it in one match. feck.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Agree with this. Its not the first time its happened. Against stoke was similar.

Clearly there is something wrong with our spearhead. Namely Ibrahimovic.

I dont know what we have to do for a manager to play Rashford upfront with Martial and Mkhitaryan behind. At least we would have pace and be able to stretch a defence.

We literally have nothing to lose and everything to gain from playing a more aggressive and quicker frontline.
It was exactly the same against Stoke, and those of us who complained were told to stop moaning and to appreciate that we'd played well and simply been unlucky.

We're 8 points off top now, having drawn against fecking Stoke and Burnley at home. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. The season is over for us in the league.

Jaapster

Knee jerk or what ? We would have won the game no problem without the sending off , we still kept going , we had these games under saf we will have these games for ever more, if we keep playing this way top four is a certainty

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I just don't get what people think Mourinho could have done differently to affect the outcome of this game. The players did everything right except finish, something which Mourinho has little control over.
My issue is with the players out there. Why is Zlatan Ibrahimovic at 35 leading the line in the Prem for us when his form shows he is clearly not up for it? Why have we spent so much money on players who have managed one goal in four games.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I just don't get what people think Mourinho could have done differently to affect the outcome of this game. The players did everything right except finish, something which Mourinho has little control over.
He picked the team.

His subs didn't work

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We haven't won a league game in over a month now. Absolutely shocking. How come the likes of arsenal smash cnuts like this, scoring 6 or 7 goals, and we struggle to bury just one fecking chance? This is beyond me.

That fecking cnut Clattenburg, did everything to prevent us from winning. Red card for a slip? Up my arse you fecking twat. The worst referee in a very, very long time. Mike Dean is Pierreluigi Collina compared to him

I don't know what happened to Zlatan. For well over 3 years we can't find a proper striker (RvP in 12/13 was the last time I saw a real striker in the team) and it cost us severely

I also don't know what happened to Mourinho. Fecking Rooney? Fellaini? FFS, the game was crying out for Martial.

Playing some brilliant football, yet losing. So typical of our team since Fergie left.
Martial is injured?

Godfather

We should have won that. Simple as. Still enjoyed this way more than some of the shit LvG and Moysey served us.

OLLY ORANGE

Ibra needs to be benched. But Rooney is not the answer to start. Thought he was woefull when he come on agajn. For any one to back him need to take a look at them selves.
Herrera was just hard done by.
Feel for Mourinho in one way and then i feel he could help him self more by mixing the changes up.
Carrick, Blind in the middle (best two passers in the team.)
Rashford in the middle.
And as posted all over the cafe that game would have been perfect for our Armenian friend to start a fresh either from the start or from the bench.
He is one of the only few players who can change this situation that we are in.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Zlatan needs to be dropped. Come on, 9 games without a goal and yet Jose keeps playing him. I prefer Martial or Rushford leading the line. Overrated, over paid, over the hill striker.
I think its 6 or 7 games. But the last time he had this dry spell was 9 years ago.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Every decent team on the planet would've won today vs Burnley. They were absolutely terrible.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
On a luckier day, this is a 6-0 match.

Ref did not help. If it were the other way, he would be giving that one pen.

Ban

This will sound strange for sure but this looked like a Fergie United. Attack, attack, attack, chance after chance.
Difference is we didn't score. :D

Ash_G

It wasn't an unlucky result when the manager kept on an off form striker after watching him waste a dozen chances and then proceeded to take off our best player for fecking Fellaini. Ibra should have been hooked way before the sending off and Mourinho shouldn't have abandoned any intention of playing football when Herrera got sent off.
Don't see what the subs have to do with it being unlucky, on a different day we could have been well ahead before the sending off. I agree they were poor substitutions though. Not sure who we'd have swapped Ibra for though, not like Rooney is a bigger goal threat, indeed he wasted a great opportunity, not even hitting the target from inside the box.

SirScholes

I'm not blinded by love for him, that is for sure

But I always blame the manager primarily for bad results and likewise praise for good

It doesn't matter who it is

I'm not looking for him to get sacked
Your team selection batters the opposition but your striker misses two sitters, your team hit the woodwork and the opposition goalie has the game of his career
But it's your fault?
This one is on no one but zlatan

Betson

We are fine I think.
Yes if we can maintain 7
Frustrating game, no luck at all. The performance was ok though. I'm not that worried.
Sure, but I'd rather play like this and not score - at least it gives me hope that we're moving in the right direction. Something I haven't had for years.
But every half decent team dominates Burnley at home , it is how they play , they give the ball away an awful lot. It is nothing to be particular hopeful or cheery about.

There is a lot to be worried about looking at that and the last few games , we are 8th in the league now and going in the wrong direction. Hard luck stories do not earn you points. If they did we would be top of the league.

DevilRed

It was exactly the same against Stoke, and those of us who complained were told to stop moaning and to appreciate that we'd played well and simply been unlucky.

We're 8 points off top now, having drawn against fecking Stoke and Burnley at home. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. The season is over for us in the league.
I'd be surprised if we got top 4. Its going to be a long hard battle. Hopefully we win the FA cup or League Cup.

To me its very clear that the manager is not to blame. Its clearly the players. It has been for most of these 3 years. Just subpar and lacking the mentality to be winners.

We need to get rid of the older players (Rooney, Ibra, Fellaini etc.) and let the youngsters play in their preferred positions. Rashford upfront. Martial left wing. Pogba behind. Mkhitaryan right wing.

Champagne Football

Sadly we don't have a single forward who is clinical in front of goal and it will 100% cost us top 4 again. Ibra is great at holding it up but is not an elite striker anymore. A world class striker would have had at least 2 goals for us today.

A decent performance all round. Pogba was outstanding I thought. Lingard and Rashford have very little goal threat from the wings. Mata played well but also is not going to lash in a 25 yarder when he has space.

Clattenburg should not have sent off Herrera considering first foul was not a yellow and considering we had a stonewall penalty.

We desperately need a goal-scoring forward like Greizmann but those types of players are never available in January.

Snafu17

One of those days. One of those fecking days. Anyone who uses this excuse should feck right off. You make your own luck. We can't have "these days" every week, not every referee has a bad game when we play and not every keeper has a "game of their lifetime" against United.

If you want to compete for tittles you need constant quality, concentration and precision in the final third. Of course there will be games where the other team plays deep and there will games where decisions won't go your way. But you are supposed to have enough quality to win anyways.

We lost points today because some of our players and/or personnel didn't do certain aspects of their jobs, they should be criticized and I'm not having any other bs excuse. We are now, what, 8, 9, 10 points of top? I hope that our rivals will start dropping points massively soon, because at the moment they don't seem to.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
My issue is with the players out there. Why is Zlatan Ibrahimovic at 35 leading the line in the Prem for us when his form shows he is clearly not up for it? Why have we spent so much money on players who have managed one goal in four games.
Entirely this, it seems untouchable, yet he's been gash for some time now.

ReDDHDevilS

Created enough chances to win the game. So can't blame the manager apart from perhaps not taking off Ibra.

Heaton played the game of his life and when you add the post, awful misses from hopeless Ibra and Rooney, it just wasn't the day.

JoaquinJoaquin

Turd. 'Just not our day' isn't good enough
Happens too much this though. Basically we have become that Liverpool type side that could never break down these type of sides and that's why we will finish around 6th this season. People won't want to admit it but that's the truth.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I just hope Mourinho tells Clattenburg to do one in a presser.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Oh feck off and do one!

Blaming Fergie for selling world class players, replacing them with shit ones, injury prone ones, playing the worst kind of football of his career and appointing Moyes? Yeah, I think the word "checkmate" might come in handy here

Still blaming Ferguson for the clubs woes years later is pathetic

Teams manage to rebuild and go again on an annual basis and still maintain form. Especially with an endless bucket of cash available.

SalfordRed1960

Watch Spurs get a pen from a nothing challenge and us not from that lateish megatackle on Darmian. It's fecking laughable.
Neither challenges on Darmian were penalties. We would have been pissed if someone like Shaw had a penalty against them for a good tackle. Not really sure why Clattenberg is getting so much bashing. We didn't win because we didn't take many open chances. A very unfair result, from a pretty good performance.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 468 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley
  • 30% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley