PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 January 2019

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
People are quick to take swipes at Mata, but Ashley Youngs wide play is some of the most rubbish shit I have ever seen. I would rather see Valencia sink it into the ankles of defenders every single time, then see Young over hit another cross into the box where he has little time and pressure on him.

feck even 43 year old David Beckham would have been an improvement today.

Gator Nate

Agreed with those defending Mata, I thought he did well enough compared to the rest of the squad. Pereira was near useless most of the game. Jones was inconsistent, but some of his passes... yikes. But then, I though passing throughout the team was poor today. That, and Burnley were playing excellent defense. Most everything in the box came back out from a Burnley foot.

TheRedHearted

Spoilers- Very long post below

1. Seeing Lindelof get Motm when the second goal is completely his fault was strange to me. Otherwise he was rock solid- but watch him get sucked in to double team an attacker and to leave Young on two. Completely his fault.
2. Hate to say it but the first goal isn’t really all of Jones or Periera fault. Pereira lacked awareness for the attacker who pressed him and jones pass was a little lazy but he had no one else making a move.

3. We were anxious. Ole choosing Mata on the wing instead of Lukaku was super weird. Don’t see why we didn’t play a 4-4-2 with mata underneath Rashford and Lukaku.
I honestly would have preferred Fred on the RW.
Frankly I don't think the comeback was that unexpected. This team under Mourinho came back from 2-0 down to win 2-3 multiple times. They wouldn't have lost that mentality instantly just because of a change in manager, particularly one who encourages them to attack all game. Our players are generally mentally quite strong.
Definitely one of the positive aspects of Mourinho.

Couple of things I took from the game
---------------------------------------------------
1. Rashford was wasteful today and should have finished the opportunity he had in the first half. At this level, the very least he should have done was atleast tested the goalkeeper. Simply disappointing.
2. I've been a huge fan of Periera but whenever given the chance in an actual game that counts, he's always not lived up to expectations. He was terrible in the first half as it is but to give away the ball that led to the goal was just criminal. Simply not good enough. I would just let him go since his contract will run in the summer.
3. Phil Jones, the enigma... If there's one guy that angers me this season, it's Phil Jones whose just a piece of crap. He's looked nothing but crap. He's been at OT for so many years and he still ends up being shite... Periera was cornered by two Burnley players and he chose to still pass it to him which led to the mistake and eventually, the goal. Someone really needs to take note that Jones shouldn't be featuring for United. The guy is an absolute disgrace.
4. Mata just doesn't have it in him to survive in the PL at the highest level. He was completely ineffective. Another player I feel that should be moved on... Not because of this game but just because he's mediocre and he would be taking up 140k of the wage budget and a spot which I would give to someone else.
5. There was no attacking from the RW. It was completely dead and we kept hitting a wall. Mata with his inward movement and Young unable to cross took away that part of the game.
6. Sanchez and Lukaku don't really offer us 750k/ week worth of performances. One of them needs to be moved on and my preference would be Sanchez. He may have been responsible for the Lindelog goal but he was pretty average and I think his performances haven't been of superstar quality.
7. Losing points at home to a team that's battling relegation is just not acceptable.
8. Ole took too many risks today... Pereira, Jones, Mata and Lukaku were too many changes to the first 11.
1. Yep.
2. That’s not united or Ole. Won’t give up on the lad.
3. He wasn’t surrounded by two plays.
4. When we see Mata play in his position I think we can truly judge him. He’s deadly in the center and he can finish 1 v 1s. It’s oles fault for not starting Lingard or Sanchez on the wing.
5. Dalot could have been a difference there. But also we need a RW. Strange we haven’t bought one yet.
6. Agreed he hasn’t been great. Don’t think we can move him on and gotta hope the next manager (whoever it’ll be) works well with him. I think with his lack of speed he’s most effective on the top of a diamond or right behind a fast striker. We don’t play with that set up so, I have no idea what to do with him at the moment. He lacks confidence and passion. The right management can get him there.
Yep to 7 and 8.

There is some kind of madness going on around this place....

People want to continue giving Pereira chances despite the fact he’s never had a solid performance playing in the first team, and today was the icing on that very badly tasting cake. He’s not yet proved his worth, yet he’s 23. If he ain’t good now, he’s never going to be.

However, people are happy to move Sanchez on to a different club and not give him the same chance that they’re willing to gift to Pereira. Unlike Pereira, he’s proven himself in the PL. Time and time again for Arsenal. He’s had some good performances for us too. I would be very confident, that given game time, he will regain his best form. Surely his achievements at Arsenal should warrant more of a chance to be given here at United?!

I really don’t get this love affair with players just because they’re a product of the academy. A poor player is a poor player, regardless of where the heck he came from. Reality check needed.
The thing is Sanchez has gotten many opportunities with us in the first team. I think both should be given time. Today wasn’t lost by either of them. If we had Lukaku on the right, Rashford in the center and either Sanchez, Lingard on the LW we would have scored earlier and that would have never happened in my opinion. We’ve had a strong shape with Rashford up the center and speed around him- I know Martial is out (which btw, proves we need to sign a left winger plus a right winger) but we all know Mata on the RW and Rashford anywhere but center is a waste.

Bottom line- we need wingers. Three seasons ago.

Imo that’s more important than fullbacks at the moment. Why? Because we want to be an attacking team first and a devastating counter attacking team second.

Pogba plus a trio of pace up top will do that, and Matic and the back four will let in less than we score. That should be the game plan and I know the board doesn’t want to buy before the DOF and manager are appointed but that’s suicide for our season.

What we do we want? Wingers!
When do we want it- well ya know.

It’s not rocket science that we’ve needed for seasons now. The Sanchez situation is priority of course but a top club doesn’t have two left wingers, and zero right wingers.

Our best winger is a young CF who was moved there. Insanity.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Frankly I don't think the comeback was that unexpected. This team under Mourinho came back from 2-0 down to win 2-3 multiple times. They wouldn't have lost that mentality instantly just because of a change in manager, particularly one who encourages them to attack all game. Our players are generally mentally quite strong.
I think we did that three times under Mourinho. Against City and Palace last season and against Newcastle at Old Trafford this year. Usually we were hopeless after going down though.

redshaw

The team sheet would've give Burnley even more motivation. Not sure why we went into a tough fixture where every point is vital for top 4 like it was a League Cup game. The formation also had the hallmarks of the last three managers where we just end up aimlessly crossing and running into blockages. Toilet formation. All it needed was Fellaini to come on.

I would've taken the 8 wins and a draw at the start of Ole's appointment though.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What a fecking end to the match.

Burnley seem to be the premier bogey team for us at Old Trafford these days.

Ole got it wrong from the start, he should have played Lukaku from the right where he actually had a good game against Arsenal.

We’ll all bash Perreira for his mistake for their opening goal, but Jones really gave him a suicidal pass seeing the Burnley players converging on Andreas.
That pass happens 100 times a match. It's a pass the Perreria is meant to pass it back to Jones with his first touch or out to Lideloff who was peeling off to the right in space. If he passes it straight back to Jones then the two guys near him will go to Jones and then Perriera peels off and receives a simple ball back as he turns into space. But instead of playing it first time Perreira decided to take a couple of touches and lost the ball. As much as the Caf likes to blame Jones for anything that goes wrong at United, this one was all on Perreira...

Roosney

Exciting comeback but I think we were a bit knackered.
Frustrated with Sanchez, we are chasing a game and he lofts the ball the feck out of the pitch all the time. Woeful stuff.

Sterling Archer

You honestly can't complain after Rashford misses that glorious chance in what, the opening quarter hour. That goes in, we're talking 3, 4 nil. But every minute onward Burnley getting back to the form that saw them mid table last season. So, given the poor start great to see us get a point back. Good spirit and hopefully the kick in the teeth needed to see us in top form thru the tough February schedule.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'm glad we were able to salvage a point to keep the general feel-good factor going, but you saw the limitations of our side when frontline players are removed en masse and replaced by the squad options. The quality of the backline is well documented by now, so not going to labour that point, but the drop-off in midfield if it's not Matic-Ander-Pogba is concerning, while I just cannot get on board with Lukaku as a regular starter because his limitations make our play constipated.

Between now and the end of the season, it has to be Lindelof and Smalling (Bailly), with the aforementioned midfield trio and Martial, Lingard and Rashford are the best front three.

Lam

We won't get top 4 if Young, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, etc. are what we have. Need to be more ruthless and move them on.

Ole should have subbed Mata instead of Lukaku. Only reason he subbed Lukaku should have been injury, otherwise it was a really bad decision.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Way to undo 6 weeks of work in 1 game.

Rashford, currently our best player on form, moved into a completely different position just because one other person is injured, and in order to allow Lukaku and Mata to be useless for 90 minutes.

Lukaku moved back ahead of Rashford in the striker pecking order based on him doing well for 45 minutes against Arsenal, while playing on the wing? I don't understand this at all. It's the sort of thing Mourinho would do. Rashford didn't even play in the Arsenal game. Lingard was fit, Sanchez plays in Martial's position. There was no need or logical reason to sod around with the dynamic of a team that's been playing well.

You could tell after 10 minutes we were going to struggle because instead of our attack being fluid as it has been in recent games, Pogba was getting the ball and having to wait for someone just to make themselves available, Rashford was being forced to try and beat the entire defence instead of other players giving him the space to get in behind, as Lingard and Martial would and Sanchez's movement probably would have. Mata was taking 2-3 touches and spinning round in a circle to play even the most simple pass. Young was putting good balls into the box and Lukaku wasn't even there, so I have no idea what he was doing all game.

Pogba played well. Young played well. Rashford tried, but we've had too many games where we've handicapped ourselves this season to be able to afford to do it in anymore games at all. If you're going to make unforced changes you can't start fiddling with the dynamics at the same time. Players who have struggled with that all season or failed to play well enough to make it work, aren't going to magically make it work now. Liverpool can't afford to do stuff like this and are top of the league, so it's baffling why we think we're good enough to.

Scoring goals is also vitally important and you don't effectively drop your in form striker to the wing just to make room for other people. You wouldn't move Pogba to defensive midfield just to give Fred a game, so why on earth do it with the player who's goals are the only reason you won the previous two league games?

Honeslty I've loved Ole so far but stuff like this is just stupidity for the sake of it. There is nothing to gain from it. Poking holes in the bottom of your boat just to see if it will sink.
Really?!
We should have been two up at half time, we dominated the game and had good chances to score.
Not a huge amount wrong with the tactics, just Burnley were super organized and took the two chances they had.
On another night that's an easy victory, instead it's a battling draw.

UpWithRivers

Oles first mistakes as a manager. Totally wrong team. I see why he did it to give games to others but one or two changes to this team is all it can take captain. Whether everyone likes it or not Fellaini is our fourth best midfield option. Perrera,Fred and Mctominay have done nothing to prove otherwise. Good spirit and come back. With Mourinho they would have all give in.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I knew that people would overreact if we dropped a couple of points somewhere.

Everyone wanted backa United that played on the front foot and could keep going until the final whistle.

You've got it now. However, it comes with risks as we saw tonight. No way we deserved to be even 1-0 down let alone 2 down but that's football. The key thing was the way we then took the game to them and had them on the rack. Even better, we got the point we deserved as a minimum for the way we played.

Better performances and an attacking United people said, even if it meant dropping points at times. And here we are with people still not happy
I think this pretty much sums it up. You weren't terrible at all, there were a couple of misses, Rashford's stands out, but players are not machines and even the very best can miss sitters, some great saves from Heaton, thinking of the one against Lukaku. Burnley's defence had its best game of the season pretty much.

What stood out was the way you peppered their area trying to get back intp the match and in the long run, that come back could be better for this team than another run of mill win!

I think people should hold back a bit on Perreira as well, he is being written off after one game under Ole. Give him a chance he is talented and has proved that in La Liga, there were loads in you squad being written off under Jose as rubbish who have had a new lease of life under Ole. Perreira is clearly rusty, but given a run of games could show what he is really about.

I think the biggest question from last night is where does this leave Fred?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Way to undo 6 weeks of work in 1 game.

Rashford, currently our best player on form, moved into a completely different position just because one other person is injured, and in order to allow Lukaku and Mata to be useless for 90 minutes.

Lukaku moved back ahead of Rashford in the striker pecking order based on him doing well for 45 minutes against Arsenal, while playing on the wing? I don't understand this at all. It's the sort of thing Mourinho would do. Rashford didn't even play in the Arsenal game. Lingard was fit, Sanchez plays in Martial's position. There was no need or logical reason to sod around with the dynamic of a team that's been playing well.

You could tell after 10 minutes we were going to struggle because instead of our attack being fluid as it has been in recent games, Pogba was getting the ball and having to wait for someone just to make themselves available, Rashford was being forced to try and beat the entire defence instead of other players giving him the space to get in behind, as Lingard and Martial would and Sanchez's movement probably would have. Mata was taking 2-3 touches and spinning round in a circle to play even the most simple pass. Young was putting good balls into the box and Lukaku wasn't even there, so I have no idea what he was doing all game.

Pogba played well. Young played well. Rashford tried, but we've had too many games where we've handicapped ourselves this season to be able to afford to do it in anymore games at all. If you're going to make unforced changes you can't start fiddling with the dynamics at the same time. Players who have struggled with that all season or failed to play well enough to make it work, aren't going to magically make it work now. Liverpool can't afford to do stuff like this and are top of the league, so it's baffling why we think we're good enough to.

Scoring goals is also vitally important and you don't effectively drop your in form striker to the wing just to make room for other people. You wouldn't move Pogba to defensive midfield just to give Fred a game, so why on earth do it with the player who's goals are the only reason you won the previous two league games?

Honeslty I've loved Ole so far but stuff like this is just stupidity for the sake of it. There is nothing to gain from it. Poking holes in the bottom of your boat just to see if it will sink.
You are reading way to much into it mate. We were dominating them from start to finish and if Rashford scores on that mega chance after 10 minutes its going to be a completely different game. Instead Jones/Pereira have a collective brain fart and gift them a goal against the play of the game. Posession was 74/26 and shots 28/5

If Pogba and Rashford had played like they have the last couple of months we would have won comfortably

Edit: And Lukau playing one decent game on the wing and hes suddenly a winger? Rashford has played wide most of his career and while i think hes better at CF (and better than Lukaku) its hardly a big upset having Rashford as LW and Lukau as a CF

Last edited:

Melville Red

A few things:

1) Rashford let us down tonight. Really poor performance and missed two golden opportunities. One early in the game, which 100% should have been a goal or at least a save from the keeper. And the other in 2nd half right before their second goal.
2) Pereira's mistake was bad, and he was generally bad, but Jones also deserves blame for making a suicide pass and putting him in that position.
3) Lukaku would have been better off playing on the right. Our right flank was mostly just Ashley Young receiving the ball and doing nothing with it. This allowed Burnley to pack the middle and crowd the left side as well.
4) Alexis is not a winger anymore, he's strictly a central player. He gave us basically nothing after coming on, aside from the nice header, which led to the equalizer. And that of course came from him occupying a striker's position. Wish we would give him a run of games as our striker but Ole seems to be making the same mistakes with him as Mourinho.
5) We ran into some of the problems today as we did with Mourinho. Burnley got the lead first, sat behind and we resorted to crossing into their box for majority of the game. And it didn't work at all as Burnley won every ball. It's not that we didn't try to use other options but when we can't break down the side, we just keep launching crosses that come to nothing.
6) Can't wait till we replace Ashley Young with a proper FB, because he offers us nothing anymore. Most frustrating player in the team for me, after Lukaku.
At times Rashford does look to be far to casual and last night was a prime example, he really does let himself down at times.
Young isn’t quite as frustrating as Valencia, but saying that they are both well past their sell by date and I agree 100% with that pass Jones made to Pereira. If I had my way Jones would be out of the door yesterday, he should have been given away to Newport fecking County several years ago, I have never rated him and it’s a bloody enigma to me as to how he is still at Utd after all these years. In fact I’m perplexed as to why Fergie signed him.
Hopefully Ole learned more last night about certain players and their limitations. I mean if Lukaku can’t play up front and make things happen against Burnley then that sums him up.
But on the positive side the lads kept going to the very end, just a pity they got themselves into that mess in the first place.

nainaisson

Oles first mistakes as a manager. Totally wrong team. I see why he did it to give games to others but one or two changes to this team is all it can take captain. Whether everyone likes it or not Fellaini is our fourth best midfield option. Perrera,Fred and Mctominay have done nothing to prove otherwise. Good spirit and come back. With Mourinho they would have all give in.
Yeah, because the team never came back from 2 nil down under Mourinho, right?

Under Mourinho, it's more likely the team would have conceded 2 goals in the first 10 minutes and salvaged a point or all 3 points in extra time.

Smores

Everyone wanted backa United that played on the front foot and could keep going until the final whistle.

You've got it now. However, it comes with risks as we saw tonight. No way we deserved to be even 1-0 down let alone 2 down but that's football. The key thing was the way we then took the game to them and had them on the rack. Even better, we got the point we deserved as a minimum for the way we played.

Better performances and an attacking United people said, even if it meant dropping points at times. And here we are with people still not happy
Well that's because it wasn't a better performance not in the slightest, it wasn't particularly attacking aside from them sitting back and us lumping the ball in and how you can say we didn't deserve to be 1-0 down after that mistake :houllier:

Shit happens we can't win every game but let's not try and gloss over what was a shite limp performance. I only care what we learn from it to avoid frequent repeats.

Zlatattack

To all those people who want to give contracts to anyone who's ever had a decent moment on the pitch for us because "he's a top bloke and only a squad player" - this is what we get.

You squad players are not meant to be a shitty second string. They're meant to be first team quality and pushing the first team for thier place in the team.

Ship out the dross.

Alabaster Codify7

Very entertaining game, but Ole had to drop points sometime. It was least exciting andvwe showed great fighting spirit to the death.

Two extremely sloppy goals to concede though. Not good enough.

Onto the next one,lets see how we bounce back.

Paul778

Yeah, because the team never came back from 2 nil down under Mourinho, right?

Under Mourinho, it's more likely the team would have conceded 2 goals in the first 10 minutes and salvaged a point or all 3 points in extra time.
The wins under Mourinho were in an anti-mourinho style. Once 2-0 down Jose couldn't get the team playing his preferred defensive style. He had to let them attack.

I wouldn't be saying those matches were a triumph for Jose more an opportunity to free themselves of his shackles and just play.

Rozski

Ole should have subbed Mata instead of Lukaku. Only reason he subbed Lukaku should have been injury, otherwise it was a really bad decision.
Genuinely curious about why you think this. After the subs Mata was one of our best players and was consistently getting in spots to create opportunities (wasn’t always found.) Lukaku would have been a big body in the box but that hadn’t been working up until that point so why would that have changed? I’ve seen plenty of people with your viewpoint on here but what would you have expected to go differently?

StrettyEnder07

Brilliant comeback, threw everything we had at them last twenty minutes, that is the United I want to see, Ole is not going to win every game, first half was very poor, pedestrian, complacent etc.

But 2 down, 5 minutes to go and just launching bodies forward, risking conceding a 3rd to score an equaliser, loved it, fighting spirit, felt like Man United of old but few alarming things:

Ashley Young must have put 50 balls into the box and I can't remember him picking out one United player, he was woeful last night.

Pereira, I think last night showed that he is a mid-table player, I have no issues with Ole giving him a chance, we cry out for young lads to be given a chance, not his fault he didn't take it, but could be a while until his next chance.

Mata, I don't think any of his attempted passes came off last night, he could not pass to a padded wall in a padded cell last night! He just does not fit into the way Ole wants to play, slows it down, always seems to be looking for the same ball which Burnley defended with ease all night.

Jones, just looks so shaky, every time it goes near him I panic and played a bit of a hospital ball to Pereira, who should have dealt with it better.

All in all, 14/15 players that should be staying next year but we do need to ship out a lot of the deadwood as they are just not good enough, new RB CB CM RW in the summer please Ole.

Siorac

Lack of squad depth and lack of balance in the squad are the obvious problems. Rotating lowers quality drastically, especially in midfield. Having Lukaku as number nine again did not help.

The players' attitude was great though. Excellent comeback against a heroic defensive effort. It was a proper siege for most of the second half.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I actually thought he was good tonight. Never stopped trying, kept possession and sprayed it into key areas, played one touch football, offered a passing option for the backline, kept buzzing all around like a bee.
I can't disagree, the only difficulty is his version of good on the RW is not up to standard through no fault of his own. We were back to the bad old days of dysfunctional flanks, having started to get a bit of a tune out of them with Martial/Rashford, and Mata doesn't help that equation unfortunately.

ottosec

One of those days. Can't win them all.

I liked the determination at the end, I always felt we were going to score.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Dyche is moaning that Lingard went down too easily for the penalty. Did anyone ask him about the handball or the penalty that was given then taken away?

And then he moaned about 5 minutes of injury time, asking where it came from. Completely forgot the fact his team time wasted for about 35 minutes.

Rozski

Don't understand the criticism of Ole.

This is Burnley AT HOME. We should be smashing them with a mostly first XI with a couple of second strings. If this isn't the place to play our seconds, what is?

If this isn't the game where a Perreira or Lukaku or Mata should Excel and justify a first XI place, then when?

I'd rather Herrera get rest after 8 straight ball busting performances than risk him getting injured and ruining our chances for the remaining schedule.

Truth is a little more simple -- Burnley played well, we didn't and our second strings are decidedly seconds. No one in the first XI will be feeling threatened after today. And all three of Perreira Lukaku and Mata are candidates to be shipped out in the summer. They'll have to fight for their MUFC career.
Two top posts. The attacking football we wanted will come with risks and when we aren’t playing our strongest eleven those risks will be greater. Not sure what everyone is getting all worked up about.

Annoying that people are saying that Ole made huge tactical mistakes with the lineup. It’s not like he thought this was the beat team we could field out there! He’s shown what his first choice eleven is. But you have to rotate sometime and Burnley at home should have been a pretty ideal day to do it.

We just don’t have a great squad right now and Ole coming in didn’t change that. But he did show that we at least have a starting eleven that can compete with top teams which many doubted before he got here. We dropped some points, that was always going to happen. He’s still doing a good job.

Crashoutcassius

Genuinely curious about why you think this. After the subs Mata was one of our best players and was consistently getting in spots to create opportunities (wasn’t always found.) Lukaku would have been a big body in the box but that hadn’t been working up until that point so why would that have changed? I’ve seen plenty of people with your viewpoint on here but what would you have expected to go differently?
I agree with a part of what you are saying. Personally I think we should have had both lukaku and mata on the pitch. Why should we have had lukaku when he hadn't scored yet in the game? Because goals fundamentally change games and Burnley were starting to park the bus, which usually results in a siege and crosses into the box (which it did). Lukaku is good at getting on end of crosses, better than most of the players we have. Agree that Mata should have been left on for the exact same reasons, a player that is going to be useful vs a team that have the bus parked where we have 90% possession and don't need to high press.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that Ole's only mistake in the game was to take off Lukaku instead of Mata or Rashford. Lukaku was actually quite dangerous and Heaton made a wondersave to deny him a goal. I think that with all those many crosses we made if we had Lukaku, he would have scored.

Otherwise, I think that he did right by rotating. The schedule is absolutely crazy for the next 1.5 months, and this was the easiest match in paper. Better to rotate here than against PSG or Liverpool.

Bruno8

We cant fault OGS for making changes because he cant play the same team with matches coming thick and fast

Key players are now playing through the pain with some knocks and it cant go on forever (Pogba, Jesse, Rashford, Martial)

Our squad players need to be better

Member 115509

Not a great result, of course, but at least some fighting spirit to score two goals late on to keep the unbeaten run going. 100% record has gone now, but two behind with around five minutes to go and taking a point shows that the players kept going until the very end.
Had a third goal to win it arrived it probably wouldn't have been that much of a surprise.
Glass half empty - a poor result at home in a game you would fully expect United to win. Glass half full - rescued a point with two late goals when it looked like the game was lost.

Trizy

Now that I've calmed down now its easier to reflect.

As many have said, the dropped points were down to Ole's team selection. All 3 of Pierera, Mata and Lukaku are passengers at this club and when you play 3 passengers in important attacking positions you're going to find it very difficult to create chances.

It was an entertaining game but very winnable. As soon as 2 subs came on and the above mentioned passengers, we started dominating and looking dangerous. I understand we need to rest players but don't rest 3 at the same time in a difficult but winnable game.

28 shots to 6
9 on target to 4
75% to 25% possession.

Great stats but finishing needs to be better. Keeper also had a fantastic game for Burnley to be fair.

Another negative was we kept crossing high balls into the box. Why? We rarely score from open play crosses and we were playing the tallest team in the league, it was just daft.

Positives - Continued to move the ball fast looking for an opening. Continue to play the ball out from the back and holding possession as opposed to hoofing it and losing possession.

StrettyEnder07

Now that I've calmed down now its easier to reflect.

As many have said, the dropped points were down to Ole's team selection. All 3 of Pierera, Mata and Lukaku are passengers at this club and when you play 3 passengers in important attacking positions you're going to find it very difficult to create chances.

It was an entertaining game but very winnable. As soon as 2 subs came on and the above mentioned passengers, we started dominating and looking dangerous. I understand we need to rest players but don't rest 3 at the same time in a difficult but winnable game.

28 shots to 6
9 on target to 4
75% to 25% possession.

Great stats but finishing needs to be better. Keeper also had a fantastic game for Burnley to be fair.

Another negative was we kept crossing high balls into the box. Why? We rarely score from open play crosses and we were playing the tallest team in the league, it was just daft.

Positives - Continued to move the ball fast looking for an opening. Continue to play the ball out from the back and holding possession as opposed to hoofing it and losing possession.
Not sure why Lukaku is getting hammered, two superb assists at Arsenal mean't he deserved to start last night, not having that is down to Ole messing about, that is keeping a striker who was MOTM in his last game in the side.

If Rashford did not panic, he would have had an assist, everyone is hammering Pereira for one mistake, what about Rashford missing from 6 yards out, puts us 1 up, Lukaku assist.

He then nearly scored when Heaton pulled off an absolute worldie of a save, on another night he could have had a goal and an assist, but that's all forgotten and he is a passenger, do me a favour.

Pereira didn't have the best of games, nor did Mata but Young was absolutely woeful as was Jones, two of the first choice starting 11, hardly a word said about them.

Agree on the balls into the box, was ridiculous they just defended them with ease, don't agree on the Lukaku agenda.

Cloud7

That pass happens 100 times a match. It's a pass the Perreria is meant to pass it back to Jones with his first touch or out to Lideloff who was peeling off to the right in space. If he passes it straight back to Jones then the two guys near him will go to Jones and then Perriera peels off and receives a simple ball back as he turns into space. But instead of playing it first time Perreira decided to take a couple of touches and lost the ball. As much as the Caf likes to blame Jones for anything that goes wrong at United, this one was all on Perreira...
I’m not blaming Jones for anything, Perreira still did pretty much the worst thing he could have done there, but I just think in that context with how high burnley were pressing and two player so close to Perreira booting it up might have been the safer option. In my opinion it’s abojt 80% Perreira, 20% Jones.

TRUERED89

Rashford still needs to be more composed in front of goal, I know he's been great lately but he had a fecking sitter in the 7th minute. Had he scored, we win this game. really frustrating to be held by Burnley at OT, but we learn and move on to the next game. PS Hererra, Lingard and Martial were clearly missed in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

macheda14

28 shots to 6
9 on target to 4
75% to 25% possession.

Find it difficult to make chances, yet we made a lot of chances? Mata played pretty well towards the end of the match, Lukaku played because Martial was injured and Lingard has played a lot recently, Herrera definitely needed resting. We could have played Fred instead, but Ole even said Pereira has been training well. Rashford, one of our top performers of late was played on the wing, out of position, yet had our best chances. Sending in crosses was obviously not our game plan, but happens to to a lot of attacking teams when faced with 10 men camped inside the box.

People keep saying Ole messed up tactically. Pogba came out and said they started slowly, they played the same game they’ve played since Ole arrived, but the players didn’t execute it with the same pace as they had previously. This happens to a lot of sides, this happened under Ferguson in title winning seasons. You have games when the team comes out thinking they’ve already won.

Oneunited26

The positive thing is well it shouldn’t be a positive if we were more ruthless the past 6 to 8 years, it opens our eyes on deadwood fc which strikes again. What we know for certain the likes of jones, young, Mata, lukaku, even perrera unfortunately need to go. Fellaini is gone which is a positive, well he is going. But we need to drain the swamp this summer, because if we going to build a title winning squad the next few years, Valencia, young, Jones, mata, lukaku, Sanchez also need to be moved on, use what ever we have left on transfer money, wages available to add a CB, experienced RB, a top class attacking forward and another CM, but if we can do three to four transfers in the summer strengthen clear weak links in this squad, we will really come back stronger next season, but we need to move deadwood FC on in the summer, and fast because it cost us last night

Shez

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. On another day we could have easily one, particularly the chances Rashford got. We were literally parked in their half for 80% of the game. Observations from being at OT: Jones should be no where near the team... he is a walking calamity. If he was a horse people would be clamoring for him to be put down. Secondly, Lukaku is fecking lazy - and no this is not a lazy black player stereotype. Pogba was amazing - running around, trying things. But Lukaku put in minimal effort. The TV doesnt capture the amount of times Lukaku is just standing around doing nothing. Not jumping or running the extra five yards to put pressure on players. Everyone around myself was fecking pissed with him throughout the game as well. We were also pretty complacent - putting together a string of good passes, heading into the right direction before someone would balls it up in the end by a sloppy touch or misplaced pass. Can't put that on Ole.
And also feck Jon Moss. It seemed like he was enjoying giving everything to the away team and ignoring the home fans, not even bothering noting the hundredth time Heaton did the same thing to waste time. How Heaton got away with taking the mickey is beyond me.
Can't believe the hate Ole is getting on here - think we were pretty solid tactically. We have to switch things up with fatigue sinking in - our fixture pileup both before and after is insane; Martial getting injured in the build up didnt help ofcourse. We need to start trusting the bench more going forward and make do with the quality we have - for better or for worse. One thing you cant fault the team for is that they played out of their skins except for Lukaku. Oh also, we literally threw the kitchen sink at them. A couple of minutes more and we could have snagged a winner

Bestofthebest

Just goes to prove the squad is not good enough. I don't care who the manager is we will be lucky to win anything without some major surgery and I think we cannot expect too much from OGS without these changes. He is doing a great job but is hand tied with the players he has at hand. We can expect more performances like last night probably worse if we lose key players to injury. It may take sometime to get the players the club are looking at and I just hope we don't go looking for " big names " as we usually do. There are plenty of players around who would do a job as squad players who would not cost the earth, plus one key signing, a centre back that can actually defend.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley