Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 January 2019

automaticflare

Not super annoyed but a couple of things:

Rashford scores after 5 mins the game is over IMo

Pereira again was shoddy. Mistake cost us big time there. Really poor

Lukaku was also poor again provides no link up

Mata was ok but just mata just ok

People underestimate how much Herrera helps control tempo of the team. Out today and we had a real lack of urgency moving the ball I thought.

Sanchez I was fit to throttle in last minute trying to force a 60 yard pass wide right and put it out for a goal kick

Overall disappointed not to win but 2-2 was decent response when we were 2 down with 5 to go.

Ole has to give players a chance. At home to burnley should be a prime chance to rest players. Some of them did not step up. Note it down and move On to the next one.

Melville Red

Never again will I watch the highlights without knowing the score!

What happened tonight? Players taking Burnley for granted? Heaton made some good saves but Rashford missed a couple of good chances he should have really scored from and from what I saw I am not a fan of Lukaku playing up front.

Great comeback three minutes left and 0-2, I desperately want rid of Jones, but over all I’m happy with the final score, Burnley playing for their lives, hopefully this is a kick up the bum to the players not to take these sort of games for granted.

City lost, titles the scousers to lose now. Feck feck feckity feck!!

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We can carry a couple of poor performances, we haven't enough about us to carry 5 or 6. I thought Herrera was our biggest miss tonight.

Denis79

Burnley defended well, we didn't. Hence the result, but what a comeback!

Andrew~

Meh. Had to happen. The winning run was always going to end and it’s often an unexpected result that breaks winning streaks. Quite cool that we turned it into a fairly mega comeback. Keeps the Ole positive vibes going. That’ll do me.
Agreed. I don't think much can be read from this game because of the close proximity to a hard-fought Arsenal game (and Martial being injured).

I don't like Rashford and Lukaku up front though, too similar. Rashford has to move out of where he is most effective and Lukaku is less effective there than him. The comeback was amazing though.

Tosicsleftpeg

We dominated but didn't make much happen, as others have said the rashford chance was key in this game. Perreria isn't good enough and neither is Jones, it was as clear as day off the back of that performance.

Actually thought Lukaku did ok considering the service he had, set up rash for his golden chance early on. Great fight back at the end and I'm happy with that as we didn't lose and we went for it as we have done recently and that's all you can ask.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Our biggest problem this season before Ole took over was our bizarre tendency to concede two goals before scoring our first.

First time it's happened under Ole but the comeback was both deserved and exciting.

ActionJackson

Let's look at the bigger picture...We were dreadful against Spurs, could easily have conceeded 5 or 6 but their strikers had nightmares in front of goal.

We were very average against a very average Arsenal team and tonight we were poor. Now as much as I liked OGS as a player I'm not gonna kid myself into pretending he's the right man for us, he clearly isn't.

Most of the fans on here get so excited and react over the top to a couple of wins against 3rd rate opposition, you need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Poch in at the end of season or we will have another 2 season treading water with the wrong manager.

Jezpeza

My brief thoughts: rashford had a bad game. Pereira has proved he isn’t good enough. Jones yet again poor. Young showed his limitations. Both of those tie in with us being poor defensively generally. On the plus side, Heaton played a blinder, another day we’d have scored 5, good spirit to fight back against a Burnley team who had done their homework. Still unbeaten

minoo-utd

We need City to beat Arsenal the Chelsea then we do them little favor beating Liverpool.

caid

It was a great reaction to be fair. We were a bit slow and laboured before they scored the first. But we looked good from that point on. They defended brilliantly, got a decent goal against the run of play and we still brought it back to a draw. The run had to end sooner or later, its a bit disappointing to lose it to Burnley but I'm too happy with the reaction to be bothered i guess.

DBT85

Anyone got the stat on how many fecking crosses we kept putting in only for them to be nodded away with ease?

CallyRed

Has Sean Dyche ever not moaned after a game? Even when his team'l win he finds fault with something

DarkXaero

A few things:

1) Rashford let us down tonight. Really poor performance and missed two golden opportunities. One early in the game, which 100% should have been a goal or at least a save from the keeper. And the other in 2nd half right before their second goal.
2) Pereira's mistake was bad, and he was generally bad, but Jones also deserves blame for making a suicide pass and putting him in that position.
3) Lukaku would have been better off playing on the right. Our right flank was mostly just Ashley Young receiving the ball and doing nothing with it. This allowed Burnley to pack the middle and crowd the left side as well.
4) Alexis is not a winger anymore, he's strictly a central player. He gave us basically nothing after coming on, aside from the nice header, which led to the equalizer. And that of course came from him occupying a striker's position. Wish we would give him a run of games as our striker but Ole seems to be making the same mistakes with him as Mourinho.
5) We ran into some of the problems today as we did with Mourinho. Burnley got the lead first, sat behind and we resorted to crossing into their box for majority of the game. And it didn't work at all as Burnley won every ball. It's not that we didn't try to use other options but when we can't break down the side, we just keep launching crosses that come to nothing.
6) Can't wait till we replace Ashley Young with a proper FB, because he offers us nothing anymore. Most frustrating player in the team for me, after Lukaku.

RonaldoVII

Before the game thought we made a few too many changes. Perreira was always a risk having not started in the league since August. Would've made more sense to start Fred.

Once the game started, we never seemed at it. Burnley had us tactically with their big forwards and our only idea in the 2nd half seemed to be to cross the ball so was odd when Lukaku was taken off with us chasing the game, I thought he was playing alright at that point. I think we got lucky to rescue a point but hopefully that keeps the momentum going. We were going to drop points sooner or later but the important thing now is to beat Leicester and this will be forgotten about.

moodyred

I don't understand players slating Ole for that lineup. We have games coming up thick and fast, and he has to rotate at some point. The changes weren't major either - Pereira for Herrera and Lukaku/Mata for Martial/Lingard. A youth academy product everyone wanted to see, our 90m striker and the only genuine number 10 in our squad.

It is not his fault that Pereira was abysmal, or that Lukaku is not a top 6 striker, or that Young cannot cross, or that Rashford decided to serve up a stinker tonight. Nor was it his fault that Sanchez continues to be shit, or that Moss is a cnut of a referee.

I think he's learned a lot about his squad tonight, and found out that many of them are not up to the mark. Despite knowing that, he no choice but to keep giving them chances, especially over the coming month.
I have not seen Pereira played well in the first team and had never looked forward to seeing him in the first team line-up.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think Ole will have learned (at least i bloody hope so.) I doubt we will start Andreas again. He will come on to see out games yes. But that is all.

I think Lingarrd will start on the right anymore. I cannot imagine Ole was too impressed with how slow Mata was on the RW. Would love to actually see more of Mata in MF like the two Silvas for City.

City have speed on both wings because you need it to get in behind the defense.

minoo-utd

This game showed we refuse to lose and we can fight, but we need to start games like we ended this one.

We need fullbacks badly who apply to this system and also a R.W. we have crazy games coming and our defense bar Lindelof who is magnificent is far far from good enough going forward or defending. At least one at this window would do, but Ed is sleepy I reckon.

Patrick08

Our biggest problem this season before Ole took over was our bizarre tendency to concede two goals before scoring our first.

First time it's happened under Ole but the comeback was both deserved and exciting.
We are too slow passing out from the back and moving the ball when opposition does press.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Several regulars had an off day, that happens, but your point raises the question of how many changes need to be made to make the team better. I would guess at least 5.
In the end I felt if we had another 2 minutes we would have won.
Lindgard is superior to Sanchez and Lukaku.
Pity about Martial being absent.
Even if Rashford was not up to par, Martial would have stepped up.
When you have 3 top class players, one or two of the others makes up.

roseguy64

Rashford's finishing was awful today. Couple shots he should have passed too. Confidence went to his head. Should have kept Lukaku on.

Grateful that we managed to claw back to get at least a point though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I don't understand players slating Ole for that lineup. We have games coming up thick and fast, and he has to rotate at some point. The changes weren't major either - Pereira for Herrera and Lukaku/Mata for Martial/Lingard. A youth academy product everyone wanted to see, our 90m striker and the only genuine number 10 in our squad.

It is not his fault that Pereira was abysmal, or that Lukaku is not a top 6 striker, or that Young cannot cross, or that Rashford decided to serve up a stinker tonight. Nor was it his fault that Sanchez continues to be shit, or that Moss is a cnut of a referee.

I think he's learned a lot about his squad tonight, and found out that many of them are not up to the mark. Despite knowing that, he no choice but to keep giving them chances, especially over the coming month.
You have to play him in the ten though and allow him to drop into MF and dictate the play. He was played out in the RW where he has no speed, because we were playing a 4-3-3 and not a 4-2-3-1. Granted Ole thought Pogba would get into the box and Mata would supply a pass to him.

I think he looked good in MF though. Better than he was on the RW.

jerseyman

Great comeback but stilll gutted with 2 points lost. Rashford had a really poor game and his missed chance cost us. Let's move on and keep the faith.
I still believe that Ole is the right man.

Vfc_brato

Supports
FK Velež
The coaching stuff should have made some changes earlier, their fault for this result.

hobbers

No more pity games for Mata and Pereira thanks. Or Lukaku unless Martial is injured.

And for the love of god stop playing Mata on the fecking right when he is on the pitch. He's absolutely useless out there. 4 managers now and they don't learn.

RedStarUnited

Let's look at the bigger picture...We were dreadful against Spurs, could easily have conceeded 5 or 6 but their strikers had nightmares in front of goal.

We were very average against a very average Arsenal team and tonight we were poor. Now as much as I liked OGS as a player I'm not gonna kid myself into pretending he's the right man for us, he clearly isn't.

Most of the fans on here get so excited and react over the top to a couple of wins against 3rd rate opposition, you need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Poch in at the end of season or we will have another 2 season treading water with the wrong manager.
You dont want to get excited after wins over “3rd rate opposition” but want to step back after a draw against a 3rd rate opposition (Burnley). Newcastle and Brighton are ahead of Burnley im the league table.

Pick a side mate.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Well done to the lads for coming back with damn all time left.
Games and results like this happen in football, it’s whats great and maddening about the game.
Was just looking through the match day thread and some of you guys should just feck off! Some , sorry no a lot of the comments were cringeworthy.
To rescue a point from 0-2 after 86 minutes was great!
As for lads berating Burnley for raising their game you can do one as well, what the feck do you want them to do? Roll over ? It dosnt work like that.

diarm

Anyone else a little sick and tired of Tom Heaton showing up to Old Trafford and pretending to be the best keeper in the world every other year.

We should offer Burnley a couple of million to sign him and then send him back on a permanent loan with a clause that he can't play against us anymore.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
A lot of people are saying Rashford was subpar. That's because he's never been and never will be a winger. Play him at 9 and may have won.

AndyMUFC

Bloody Burnley prove to be a thorn in our side again.

It's a shame the winning run came to an end against them but fair play to the side for the comeback. There was no way we deserved to lose as the performance was alright for the most part but they defended superbly well and we gifted them the lead.

It's easy to criticise some of the rotation, not having Lingard and Martial did hinder us breaking them down and meant we had to resort to constant crosses but then again, if Rashford takes that chance early then we win comfortably. Small margins. We go again.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We played alright. Their first was soft on our part but I want to see Jones smash that forward. Their player was close to Pereira. Just clear the area and win the ball higher up the pitch. People can say we're not playing that well....I think we're playing alright. It's just levelling off. We do need more quality or for young players to maintain their form week after week. Ole needs to rotate the squad. That's what he's done. And if we don't win every game, there's always someone that knows better. On another day we win 4-2 but it wasn't to be. People said, Oles United never had to be one down - we were tonight and then two but fought back. We should have won but we can take much from the game. We just need to take our chances. If we get an early goal, it could have been so different but when you see them have few shots on goal but so clinical - you think it's not your day. The result might not be what we wanted, but we saw the foundation of a good team. To be a great team? Requires patience, support in the transfer market and luck.

Sp00ks11

Thought Pogba was brilliant today, loved his link up play paticularly with Shaw during the first half. I thought Rashford was poor today and had atleast 2 easy chances to put the game to bed. Great comeback though and its yet another match I have felt like I have my United back.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley