PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2021

acnumber9

We played well second half and got the well deserved win. Always nervy when it’s only a one goal lead though.

VivaRonaldo85

Get in! All the scousers gone quiet! Huge win against a massive banana skin of a team. Remarkable to be top of the feckin league!!

Pogba and Maguire excellent tonight. They’ve had a lot of Flack on here but they manned up tonight. Get in.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pogba different gravy tonight. Solskjaer learning more and more each week. Pretty perfect line up against a team like Burnley. Seeing the game out in a scrappy one nil one showing some steel and discipline is more important than going to Burnley and battering them 3-0, 4-0.

TheMitz

I thought Matic had his best game for a while.

Pogba MOTM

Martial poor again

Al-T

Looks more robust at the back with Bailley alongside Maguire.

Top of the league.

Happy place, Turf Moor... I'll have a 'Bene n 'ot'.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What a performance, not a fantastic display, but vital to get that win.

Cpt Negative

League isn’t over yet, but I’m going to enjoy being top of the league for at least a few days.

First time we’ve been top in the run in for 7 years so

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Pogba was brilliant. He has been brilliant ever since he came back since last injury. Martial is the oppsite. Useless. Rashford was also really bad, but at least he got an assist. Pretty one at that.

Matic and Bailly also need massive credit after this game.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Pogba different gravy tonight. Solskjaer learning more and more each week. Pretty perfect line up against a team like Burnley. Seeing the game out in a scrappy one nil one showing some steel and discipline is more important than going to Burnley and battering them 3-0, 4-0.
Agree with this.
Often you hear the phrase 'Champions always find a way' and whilst it's a stretch to think we'll win the league, we are definitely on the right track.

Jonno

So glad some of the Caf posters aren’t in charge of United. If they were, Pogba would have been banished to the stands and flogged

Member 101269

Nice, but let’s not get giddy.. The league is won in may, or maybe any month the FA decide or null and voided..

Looking forward to a win against muddy puddle

DSG

Thoughts:

* Pogba has gotten progressively better. Maybe he needs a superstar ahead of him to perform? Less pressure? Nice goal.
* We are more incisive with our forward passing. This helps us a lot.
* We need both Martial and Cavani finishing well. We’ve been waiting for Martial to get back into form, but we’re halfway through the campaign. He had a couple today he should have buried, failed to do so. I think all 3of our forwards need to be hitting goals or we don’t have a chance to win the league.
* Bailly was excellent again.
* God, that Burnley is a dire side with a dire strategy and dire football.

Pearl's a minger

Massive 3 points against those shithouses. What a god awful anti football team. who got exactly what they deserved. I've Only just noticed tonight dyche's strange obsession with scratching his nose and goatee in the same hand movement. Every time the camera panned to him he was doing it.

MikeeMike

Patience paid in the end. Was good to see threading passes, at pace, to bypass their pressing. Thought the constant searching of final ball/cross to Cavani was a bit predictable.
Desire to win seems to have clicked up a notch.

Roosney

Thoroughly deserved win! So fecking happy.

Only downside was why we stopped playing and let them get back into the game hoofing the ball at us with full pressure. We had no worries until the 80th minute, they couldn't get a sniff of the ball until we went into the defense mode.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Big 3 points

Take a bow Paul Pogba. I've been critical, and he has deserved it, but to show what he did tonight in exactly the sort of fixture I'd expect him to not fancy, he was the stand out player.

Everybody played their part. Burnley are an ugly team, but an honest one. Cant dislike them for playing to their strengths, and the first half was exactly what they would have wanted this game to be.

Clearly words were had at half time. Many more passes between the lines rather than safe balls to the flanks, and we looked way more dangerous as a result.

No notable mentions from me tonight. Everybody played fairly well apart from Rashford who struggled until he moved back to the left. Defence were solid. Matic was very good. Bruno quiet but still influential.

We are looking like a team that are ready to win a title. We may still get beat on Sunday of course, and I still think we are a hair below Liverpool and City in terms of where we are as a team, but we are getting better all the time and we can win this league simply by winning these types of fixtures

tjb

Deserved winners. If we had our shooting boots it could have been a lot more but everything seemed to go right at Pope. My MOTM is a tie between Maguire and Baily. Both were fantastic. Let's just hope Baily can remain healthy. Poor games for Bruno and Rashford today but I'm sure they will bounce back on Sunday...
This is the thing that can win us the league imo. Keeping Bailly and Maguire as a partnership. Bruno playing, with the x factors of Rashford and Pogba give us players that have potential individual moments. If we can ride a sturdy defence, we can win the league without necessarily being explosive, with the aim of getting to that level next season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People will slag off the way Burnley play, but I begrudgingly respect it. They play to their strengths and they play in a way that keeps a club like them in the Premier League... Fair enough.

I say this because when we come up against them in a game like this, it's a great test of character and resolve for us... And when we pass it like we have tonight I'm absolutely thrilled.

dalriada

Pogba is a baffling individual. Putting in some great performances now and talking on MUTV like a player really up for it for. Really can't figure if he wants to stay or go, or maybe he doesn't know.

PoTMS

Why the feck was Dyche not asked about the Maguire disallowed goal?

Vanrouge

The pundits and neutrals will be concentrating on United going clear at the top, and rightly so, but it's a double whammy for the red Scousers as Everton are now only a single point behind them with the same number of games played. They've had another awful night, and this time they didn't even play. :keano:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
There was no way Burnley could keep that intense pressing up. Knew it was only a matter of time before we broke them.

Martial was a mess today. Other than that, great all round performance.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes, come on. Not only do we go above the scousers but we also consign these anti-football mugs to more misery. Let's hope we never have to play them in PL again.

Let's go steal a win at Anfield now!

dalriada

People will slag off the way Burnley play, but I begrudgingly respect it. They play to their strengths and they play in a way that keeps a club like them in the Premier League... Fair enough.

I say this because when we come up against them in a game like this, it's a great test of character and resolve for us... And when we pass it like we have tonight I'm absolutely thrilled.
I have the same feeling and admire a small club like that staying in the EPL, but boy is it grim to watch. As Pogba was just saying, it's like war, but I guess no harm in having a mix of footballing styles in the league. A bit like Stoke in the old days.

cj_sparky

We seemed quite slow in the first half, I understand the Shaw foul and what happened there. But Maguires goal being disallowed was a poor decision from the ref and I have doubts it wouldn't stand at the other end.

Second half was much better, we moved it quicker and created more than enough chances to be a little more comfortable.

Bailly was great again at the back, Pogba was man of the match. Rashford will get an assist but was largely poor and looks tired.

We won at Burnley woo hoo, who lost most threatening in the last 5-6 minutes.

RedDevil@84

Why the feck was Dyche not asked about the Maguire disallowed goal?
The same reason why the journalist does not show Salah/Mane diving collection video when Klopp says he never heard about them diving.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 89% of 378 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 360 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw