EL D Europa League Semi-finals 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:1 Celta Vigo

Post-match discussion

Thu, 11 May 2017

sashiko

I just don't believe Jose has much faith in the quality of some United players, hence an ultra-defensive approach that he knows & acknowledges is not the way his bosses and supporters want us to play. Too many of our players pass backwards at the drop of a hat, lacking the skills or courage to take opponents on and drive forwards. Considering that I've been one of Jose's harshest critics on here in recent times, I'd gladly give him several years to sort this all out; for me, a possible two trophies in a debut season is bloody excellent, especially when fielding some of the timid and average players left over from the last few managerial reigns.
he also thinks exactly the same..to hell with the quality, game, work,results, respobsibility, players'feelings..I just need whatever trophy to say how good I was with such an average team. Then he spends a couple of more hundreds millions , then more and then we become Barcelona

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Another pathetic display from Manchester United. We made it unnecessarily hard for us when could have tried to play football against a pretty mediocre opposition. Unbelievable to see us counter with two or three players at best. Left full back having acres of empty space in front of him but still turning back like a coward before the half-way line. Defending for our dear life for most of the game only to present their striker with an open goal in the last few seconds; which thankfully he missed.

Cannot get my head around the tactics. Jose is a fecking coward.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I just don't believe Jose has much faith in the quality of some United players, hence an ultra-defensive approach that he knows & acknowledges is not the way his bosses and supporters want us to play. Too many of our players pass backwards at the drop of a hat, lacking the skills or courage to take opponents on and drive forwards. Considering that I've been one of Jose's harshest critics on here in recent times, I'd gladly give him several years to sort this all out; for me, a possible two trophies in a debut season is bloody excellent, especially when fielding some of the timid and average players left over from the last few managerial reigns.
What quality issues, bud? Was the XI put out yesterday worse than the Celta XI?

People think:

Tony V is one of the best RB's in the league.
Bailly is one the best purchases of the season.
Darmian is a good defensive back
Blind is an excellent squad player
Pogba the most expensive player in the world, is awesome.
Herrera is having a great season
Rashford is our hope.
Mkhi is great in Europa
Lingard deserved his 100k/wk contract extension.
Romero deserves to start in the EL as he has been great.

Who can we question in that line-up besides Fellaini? And then we have Mata, Martial, De Gea, Carrick, Smalling & Jones on the bench.

If that squad of players is not good enough to tackle that Celta team at home, then no squad in the world will be.

This is not the first time Jose has employed these cowardly tactics at home. Chelsea were embarrassed out of Europe by a 10 man PSG at the bridge in the year they won the title by playing the same way. Did he not trust his Chelsea squad either?

We can make as many excuses as we want to give him a pass, though this is who Jose is. He is an anti-football chequebook manager.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

People think:

Tony V is one of the best RB's in the league.
Bailly is one the best purchases of the season.
Darmian is a good defensive back
Blind is an excellent squad player
Pogba the most expensive player in the world, is awesome.
Herrera is having a great season
Rashford is our hope.
Mkhi is great in Europa
Lingard deserved his 100k/wk contract extension.
Romero deserves to start in the EL as he has been great.

Who can we question in that line-up besides Fellaini? And then we have Mata, Martial, De Gea, Carrick, Smalling & Jones on the bench.

If that squad of players is not good enough to tackle that Celta team at home, then no squad in the world will be.

This is not the first time Jose has employed these cowardly tactics at home. Chelsea were embarrassed out of Europe by a 10 man PSG at the bridge in the year they won the title by playing the same way. Did he not trust his Chelsea squad either?

We can make as many excuses as we want to give him a pass, though this is who Jose is. He is an anti-football chequebook manager.
Where the f did you get that :lol: ?

Sereques

You can be delighted we are in the final and still acknowledge that was a shambles. It doesn't make you ungrateful.

The most important thing was of course to get through but tonight was a mess.
The gloating because the team did not outplay Celta is far worse than what you're calling a mess.

Sereques

WTF does that even mean? If that is the case, them bigger teams should never lose to weaker ones.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how attractive is a Manchester United team, playing this defensive style in a European stage, to potential transfer targets? Can't imagine Griezmann et al would have been watching tonight thinking we're a club on the cusp of greatness again.

I don't think it matters. Man Utd in the Champions League with shed loads of money to spend will get players in but not if Barcelona or Real come in. Same as under Fergie.

Griezmann will sign for United as long as the are in the CL and Real/Barca don't come in for him.

Stactix

:drool:Hyperbolic but I get your point. True, our squad are still bad at it, and despite the obvious shambles, I quite enjoy tonight's performance.
A little haha
Although a good defensive performance is usually enjoyable to watch. This game certainly wasn't :p
Chelsea game comes to mind, compare that game to tonight, substantial difference.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Awful to watch. The last 10 minutes or so after their goal were especially embarassing.

However, I hope we somehow win this damn thing and then forget this shabby season and get some decent players in the summer.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Awful to watch. The last 10 minutes or so after their goal were especially embarassing.

However, I hope we somehow win this damn thing and then forget this shabby season and get some decent players in the summer.
Winning 2 trophies and qualifying for the UCL will be far from a shabby season, get over yourself and get behind the team instead of moaning!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought we were great for most of the first half. Shite for most of the second. With the relentless negativity and whining that has been so pervasive in the pervasive in the post-Fergie era this is - of course - being portrayed as "a total shambles" from start to finish. Ho hum.

Delighted with the result. A win away from having, by far, the best season of the last 3 years. Bring it on.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Another pathetic display from Manchester United. We made it unnecessarily hard for us when could have tried to play football against a pretty mediocre opposition. Unbelievable to see us counter with two or three players at best. Left full back having acres of empty space in front of him but still turning back like a coward before the half-way line. Defending for our dear life for most of the game only to present their striker with an open goal in the last few seconds; which thankfully he missed.

Cannot get my head around the tactics. Jose is a fecking coward.
Pathetic display? :rolleyes:. Going by the comments in this thread an outsider would think we had just been tonked by a lower league side, not reached an European final.

OLLY ORANGE

Hard to find any positives from last night. Pure hard work with no shape or momentum at all. Obviously Bailey going to be a huge miss for the final with this side so needing him to be there.
Lingard was absolutely shocking for me his lack of awareness around him when going forward or defending is criminal. The chasing down of a goal keeper or an isolated defender does not not warrant a starting place in any man utd line up on its own. The way he holds him self on and off the field is why I have no time for these modern day footballers totally phoney.
Thought there was so many gaps in between our midfield and defence was crying out for Carrick 30 minutes earlier.
Are our attack was again totally toothless and non coherent with each other just no link up or understanding at all with each other.
Rashford seems totally isolated. Not sure whether that's team mates not getting up with him quick enough or if it's his own pace and runs isolating him self this needs addressing.
Only positive that I can take from last night was the GK Mr reliable more than able understudy to DG and has been a great signing.
Jose can't be happy with that last night although he'll be mighty relieved to get through. Jose will have to come up with a master plan for Ajax and earn his money for this one of big game. If we can keep a clean sheet we should have enough to get a goal against a similar disrupted defence.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
United aside, people are being predictably disrespectful of the opposition. As Barca found out, CV are well capable of upping their game and causing a quality team real problems. This was their biggest game of the season - which they've been preparing for for weeks - and they played very well. Credit where it's due. Some of the arrogance in the comments on here is kind of shameful. Have a word with yourselves.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Winning 2 trophies and qualifying for the UCL will be far from a shabby season, get over yourself and get behind the team instead of moaning!
Have you actually watched us play?
I am always behind the team but this does not mean I have to be happy with our perfomances.
If we win the EL I will consider the season having been decent.
In case w lose the final it was more or less a flop.

Rajeev

United aside, people are being predictably disrespectful of the opposition. As Barca found out, they're well capable of upping their game and causing a quality team real problems. This was their biggest game of the season - which they've been preparing for for weeks - and they played very well. Credit where it's due. Some of the arrogance in the comments on here is kind of shameful. Have a word with yourselves.
Its not just Celta and one team, its been almost every team in the PL that have performed well in OT this season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good god. With you lot SAF would never have won anything as you would have driven him out of the club after his first couple of seasons. Will people just show some patience. This job was always going to take time. There were three of his players in that side. It says a lot that we have to bring two players on that are coming to the end of their careers to see the game out. He has done a great job with some of the players, others have not yet shown what they can do, but hopefully next season they will have settled more. Others need shipping so he can make this his team.

His tactics are not bad if you have the players who can carry them out properly. He has won a trophy with the chance of another and CL football. Some people are never happy.

cantonaldo

Don't understand people here. This is a cup tie and its a semifinal. It is always going to be close, much like some FA cup games we've had before. Teams that look weak on paper will often play much better since they have nothing to lose but all to gain. Celta is just that.

As for the team's performance, Fergie in the past also defended leads like these so why get annoyed over Mou's approach of the same?

Stop moaning and get behind the team for the final.

DomesticTadpole

I think Jose needs a confidence booster. If we win the EL final and he can get the players he really wants, then I think his confidence will be sky high and he will come out fighting next season. I think some have underestimated how much the Chelsea job took out of him. It must have been awful trying to work with players who some had downtools. Ours might not be great, but they are trying their best for him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Have you actually watched us play?
I am always behind the team but this does not mean I have to be happy with our perfomances.
If we win the EL I will consider the season having been decent.
In case w lose the final it was more or less a flop.
2 trophies in a transitional season is decent? Jeez:rolleyes:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
United got away with it tonight.
I watched with a bunch of Caf peeps, and nearly all of us predicted the inevitable template of the game within 15 minutes. I'm happy we're in the final, but my mitigating annoyance comes entirely from how needless that last 30 mins were. We were 2-0 up, at home! We should have been showboating if anything. But our negative tactics encouraged them to come at us. Just like they did against Arsenal at home, when we were bossing it, only for Jose to take off our goalscorer and creative linchpin, for a defensive player who'd played about 60 minutes total in the last 18 months.... something that set the trend for so many other games, where we took the lead, then sat back and allowed the opposition to test us, completely needlessly.

I understand the pragmatism inherent in it, but when it's cost us so regularly, why continue to do it? I'm still hugely pro-Jose, but i can't deny it's become maddening. Cos it's become maddening Sults!
I'm hoping he's employing these tactics due to not trusting some of his players. What is the point in buying attacking talent and play them so deep?Once he's had a few transfer windows and still persists with similar tactics I'm going to wear @noodlehair angry hat.

I also wonder if last years' Chelsea experience has an effect on his psyche on approaching games in such a negative manner?

Handsome Devil

United aside, people are being predictably disrespectful of the opposition. As Barca found out, CV are well capable of upping their game and causing a quality team real problems. This was their biggest game of the season - which they've been preparing for for weeks - and they played very well. Credit where it's due. Some of the arrogance in the comments on here is kind of shameful. Have a word with yourselves.
Not just disrespectful but whiney and reeking of spoilt entitlement. You could see how much it meant to them by their actions after the final whistle, tears and slumped shoulders. Celta were bloody good last night and played slick football.
The anti Jose brigade will be out in force today. Get a grip!

DomesticTadpole

Not just disrespectful but whiney and reeking of spoilt entitlement. You could see how much it meant to them by their actions after the final whistle, tears and slumped shoulders. Celta were bloody good last night and played slick football.
The anti Jose brigade will be out in force today. Get a grip!
People are taking far too much notice of their league position. They have put all their efforts into the EL and have been playing weakened teams for weeks. They are a lot better than that.

JohnnyKills

I think Jose needs a confidence booster. If we win the EL final and he can get the players he really wants, then I think his confidence will be sky high and he will come out fighting next season. I think some have underestimated how much the Chelsea job took out of him. It must have been awful trying to work with players who some had downtools. Ours might not be great, but they are trying their best for him.
Yeah agree with this, mourinho needs to turn the corner as much as we do.

Shinehead Dred

We are in a European Cup final. Not the big one, but never the less a vitally important cup in the scheme of things because it potentially helps us to a achieve our objective of cl football.

For those who are embarrassed to be in a final because of the performance, I ask one thing. Do you remember the CL final against Bayern in 99? If so, bet no one cares cos at the end of the day only the trophy counts not the performance.

Anduin

For those who are embarrassed to be in a final because of the performance, I ask one thing. Do you remember the CL final against Bayern in 99? If so, bet no one cares cos at the end of the day only the trophy counts not the performance.
This post I 1000% agree with.

Half of the people at the caf were probably below five years of age when that game took place (not knocking them down for that, can't decide when you're born ;)), so I doubt they remember much beside our famous injury time comeback. "Embarrassed to be in the final" FFS, sometimes I'm just scratching my head at some comments on here. 99% of all football clubs in Europe would love to be in our "embarrassing" positon, and you can bet your left arm that all Premier League clubs bar Chelsea would swap their season for ours if we indeed manage to win the Europa League. A European trophy, League Cup, Community Shield, Champions League Group Stage Qualification. Only Chelsea would've had a better season than that if they did the double.

Parma Dewol

GET IN!!! :D

Absolutely buzzing after last night. I'd put 3-0 as my prediction early yesterday morning, but as the day went on I slowly came to the realisation that a European semi-final, against any opposition, is never going to be that easy. The only thing that matters is getting over the line, and we just about sneaked it.

Far from a great performance, and a real shame to lose Baily for the final, but we are there. One win away from the biggest trophy since Sir Alex retired. A real chance to put us back on the big stage where we belong. Exactly what we need to restore some confidence and set us up nicely for the next campaign.

May 24 is going to be electric. :devil:

SV_Planegg

Supports
SV Planegg-Krailling
People are taking far too much notice of their league position. They have put all their efforts into the EL and have been playing weakened teams for weeks. They are a lot better than that.
I wouldn't say "a lot" but they definitely got the ability to hurt top sides on their day. That doesn't excuse yesterday's showing by United though. Celta weren't exactly dominating that second half through skill but more by United letting them have a go at them which probably was down to nervousness due to the game being an international turnament's semi final as well as CL qualification riding on it. Overall it was a poor game quality wise with lots of misplaced passes on both sides, bad decission making in the final third and a Vigo team that played their hearts out but lacked composure and quality in front of goal. In the end the final is well deserved for United and I fully expect them to win it. Ajax got a good team and can play beautiful football as long as they get the freedom to do so but from what I've seen of them this season (only watched their EL games) it looks to me like they prefer a more open and attack minded game. They don't seem well equipped to slice open packed defences of superior quality and are quite vulnerable at the back, so United with Mourinho in charge looks like a pretty bad match for them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No idea how Jose can be pleased with this performance and the one at arsenal. we were piss poor and although we had lots of control they missed the three best chances on the night. No guarantee at all that we will be any better against Ajax. If this sort of performance goes on, I would not be at all surprised if next season was Jose's last - and I say that as a fan of his. It was dull at best last night and at this rate we need to buy six, seven or eight players in the summer and clear out almost as many - neither of which I am saying will, or even should happen. But when you keep doing the same thing and getting the same result, while expecting a different one, well that's known as madness. What's that the 15th 1-1 draw at trafford this season? fecking awful. and the hundredth time this season, I ask: what is the point of Jesse Lingaard?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This post I 1000% agree with.

Half of the people at the caf were probably below five years of age when that game took place (not knocking them down for that, can't decide when you're born ;)), so I doubt they remember much beside our famous injury time comeback. "Embarrassed to be in the final" FFS, sometimes I'm just scratching my head at some comments on here. 99% of all football clubs in Europe would love to be in our "embarrassing" positon, and you can bet your left arm that all Premier League clubs bar Chelsea would swap their season for ours if we indeed manage to win the Europa League. A European trophy, League Cup, Community Shield, Champions League Group Stage Qualification. Only Chelsea would've had a better season than that if they did the double.
I know what's being said about 1999, but our attacking strength along the way to the final and throughout the whole season was a joy to behold (think of the Juve away game). Joy is not a word I can use much about a lot of games this season, particularly at home. Oh, and by the way, I'm old enough to remember the 1968 final!

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's the result that counts.

That's all that matters, if we win the final with a piss poor 0-0 with us winning with a penalty shoot out, I couldn't give a rats ass.

Anduin

I know what's being said about 1999, but our attacking strength along the way to the final and throughout the whole season was a joy to behold (think of the Juve away game). Joy is not a word I can use much about a lot of games this season, particularly at home. Oh, and by the way, I'm old enough to remember the 1968 final!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with our current approach. I just can't stomach comments about "embarrassment" and so on, it just sounds so spoiled.

Fully Fledged

Can't believe people think we're boring.
I wouldn't say that.
Last year we were boringly this year we're bottlers. When ever we look like we have a chance to qualify for CL we fall to pieces.
It's the main reason why I'm not confident for the final.

bleedred

We are in a European Cup final. Not the big one, but never the less a vitally important cup in the scheme of things because it potentially helps us to a achieve our objective of cl football.

Yeah, let's compare one of the greatest Bayern teams with the likes Matheus,Khan etc., To the CV team with aspas and gudietti.

We were terrible in the final in 99 , I agree. But we're brilliant throughout the season. But this season has been the same old negative shit irrespective of the opposition, except for a handful of games.

So inshort your analogy is deeply flawed. Because you are comparing a performance in the final against a great team to a performance in semifinal @HOME against a mid table Spanish side

cyberman

The thing is people haven't been taking notice of their league position. Most posters have been telling us how dangerous they are and when they turn out to be dangerous it's Jose's fault.
It doesn't make sense.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I could take a shot from 40yards and it would count as a chance, it's quality of play that matters but apparently we dominated them which simply isn't true. They took the game to us, we played compact and caught them with two mistakes. Even the most red tinted fans can't surely believe we dominated that game.

Anyway back on tonight it was the usual Jose piss take. Why he has to go so defensive all the time I don't know. It's cost us so often this season and if he continues in this trend he won't last next season.
Having possession and not doing much with it isn't taking the game to us. Most fans here seem to think we took the game to Chelsea, out thought and out played them. I'm not saying we're a better side as they had legitimate excuses for losing and it was an one off game but them holding the ball for a bit doesn't equate to them taking the game to us.

I agree though if Jose keeps going defensive, he won't last past next season. The last 30 minutes were incredibly uncomfortable.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 420 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Celta Vigo win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 2:0 Celta Vigo
  • 16% Man Utd 1:0 Celta Vigo