PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 April 2017

VP

That performance reminded me of the games against Arsenal between 2001 and 2006. We were in transition and arguably an inferior team but still managed to beat Arsenal through discipline and tenacity.

Hopefully, we are on the cusp of another great era at Old Trafford.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The best performance this season. One of the few excellent performance since Fergie retirement. Hope we can build on this.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
why do you say that? haven't they played for him all season long?
He simply did not want another loss against them. The players looked up for the game and played as though they were fighting for the title. They were pumped up.

shield

I just want to thank Mourinho and all the players yesterday for putting up that performance. It was one of the best Manchester United performances I have seen, and it was against a team we have regularly struggled against.

It has given me hope that the team is in good hands and that we will surely reach the top even if things don't go our way in the remaining matches. It has dispelled any doubts that were starting to creep in after our past poor performances and I am now convinced that Mourinho will surely get us there.

buckooo1978

first time Mourinho has been happy since?

I've been banging the drum for Rashford at 9 and I hope Mourinho is able to give him time there with perhaps Ibra slightly withdrawn or alongside him

I hope today is a landmark day for us.... the players looked to be responding to his public criticism at times and stepping up

a few weeks ago it looked a lot like Mourinho in Year 3 Chelsea or late in the job at Madrid where he lost the dressing room..... I hope these are signs he's winning them over and we've a dressing room that is united and ready to succeed

something has been mentally wrong with our teams since Fergie went.... i thought, like lots of us, the public criticism wasn't the answer but maybe its the thing that will shake off the mediocrity

big game Thursday- bring it on

Verbalkint

Ridiculous performance from Herrera in a big game , yet again. After his masterclass at Anfield, he's gone and done it again with a goal and assist this time. The level of commitment and energy he's put in is just unbelievable. Looks like a kid but he's a bloody pit bull isn't he!

I know comparisons with Kante (who's a damn good player) are inevitable. Yesterday though, he wiped both Kante & Hazard out which is something else.

3 Lung is back, this time from Spain :)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He simply did not want another loss against them. The players looked up for the game and played as though they were fighting for the title. They were pumped up.
It felt like the crowd were as well, and not in a negative, desperate way. More in a, we might not win the league, but we can beat you mood.

It might even have been partly down to the selection. Lots of changes, a lot riding on Lingard, Rashford, Young. As usual, every name cheered as they were read out, but it almost felt like there was a bit of added insistence on it today.

I may be romanticising, but it felt like I was in a happy, eager crowd, even before the first goal.

robinrooney

I have to admit, I didn't expect much when I saw the line up. Was a tactical masterclass by Jose. Herrera and Rashford were awesome.

Loved the badge pumping as Jose walked off at the end.

Chelsea's lead is effectively 3 points, would love it if Spurs pipped them to the title

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It felt like the crowd were as well, and not in a negative, desperate way. More in a, we might not win the league, but we can beat you mood.

It might even have been partly down to the selection. Lots of changes, a lot riding on Lingard, Rashford, Young. As usual, every name cheered as they were read out, but it almost felt like there was a bit of added insistence on it today.

I may be romanticising, but it felt like I was in a happy, eager crowd, even before the first goal.
Fans were definitely pumped up for the game. I thought the first goal and Costa lifted the crowd to the extent guy next my seat started singing, which was a rarity.

Litch

Love Ibra but the difference in having pace up front is like night and day.....

RedDevil@84

I have to admit, I didn't expect much when I saw the line up. Was a tactical masterclass by Jose. Herrera and Rashford were awesome.

Loved the badge pumping as Jose walked off at the end.

Chelsea's lead is effectively 3 points, would love it if Spurs pipped them to the title
Chelsea has an easy schedule. Don't expect them to drop a lot of points, unless they suddenly become mentally weak.
On the other hand it remains to be seen if Spurs have the mentality to fight till the last match. Last season showed them as bottlers. To lose in a title race with any team was normal. But then they imploded (when they felt that title win was unlikely) and then lost everything, not a sign of team with sound mental strength

robinrooney

Chelsea has an easy schedule. Don't expect them to drop a lot of points, unless they suddenly become mentally weak.
On the other hand it remains to be seen if Spurs have the mentality to fight till the last match. Last season showed them as bottlers. To lose in a title race with any team was normal. But then they imploded (when they felt that title win was unlikely) and then lost everything, not a sign of team with sound mental strength
I agree with you. Chelsea has the easier run in on paper but they also lost at home to Palace a couple of weeks ago which shows anything can happen.

Spurs have played the better football and are more exciting to watch. Hope they do it but time is against them now.

Traub

Spurs winning it means they have to beat us. That would probably be an end to top 4 for us.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I've seen quite a few people say that this was the best performance since Ferguson and as great as it was, what about that brilliant little period under LvG? :D Those games against Spurs, Liverpool and City? Pool & City was great games.

el3mel

I've seen quite a few people say that this was the best performance since Ferguson and as great as it was, what about that brilliant little period under LvG? :D Those games against Spurs, Liverpool and City? Pool & City was great games.
Agree

These 2 games were excellent especially the Liverpool game , haven't seen us dominating them at their field like this even in SAF eras. I hate LVG overall but he must get credit for this period.

At this time he reached the best formation with 4-1-4-1 and everything looked to be settled and he knew on which basis will he build the team on , before he checked everything up in the next season , changing the formation , players and tactics resulting in the massacre we had seen.

This season too had many great matches under Jose but the results were masking it , sadly.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What was Gary Cahill doing for Anders goal?!

I bet he feels silly this morning!
Cahill was obviosly raised well and is a polite young man. Have never seen anyone do that when the oppo are attacking you.

CaptainBirdseye

It's somewhat lucky that we had this fixture congestion around the Chelsea fixture, because truthfully, I'm not too sure Mourinho drops Ibra if we had a full week of prep for this game. Feels like it was a calculated gamble to try and save him for the Europa League whilst building a strategy around Rashford rather than straight up dropping Ibra for Rashford. Whatever it was, it worked..

Reactions: Penna

BigWillprunier

Finally! This I why I've always wanted Jose to manage us.
I don't think there is another manager today that would have picked that side and set us up like that.
Of course when I saw the team sheet I had my doubts but he got it 100% spot on, each and every player did exactly what they were sent out to do, this is what Jose is capable of.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
I was shocked when I saw the line-up, I thought Jose had given up on top 4 chances.
Was it a tactical team selection or did we get lucky?

I have been telling that Rashford and Martial should be given more chances. Zlatan has been good but he can't do what these youngsters can do. I just hope Jose hasn't given up on Martial yet.

EricaNo7

I was shocked when I saw the line-up, I thought Jose had given up on top 4 chances.
Was it a tactical team selection or did we get lucky?

I have been telling that Rashford and Martial should be given more chances. Zlatan has been good but he can't do what these youngsters can do. I just hope Jose hasn't given up on Martial yet.
Yes so do I. I thought Rashford and Martial together would be amazing

Robertd0803

Tactical masterclass. Who would have thought starting with Lingard/Rashford up top would be the way to go besides Jose :)

Best performance this season and the first time we have felt like a proper Mourinho team. I said on twitter that there would be a meltdown as soon as the team was announced and I wasn't wrong. Luckily all doubts and misgivings were swiftly misplaced. Lovely goal by Rashford and it was an incredible performance start to finish from everyone.

Cahill picking Lingard up before the second goal was a terrible move from Cahill, if it was Terry he probably would have ran over Lingard to clear the ball not pick him up.

RedDevil@84

I'm just rewatching the game. Costa is a nasty individual
I am happy that Conte was stubborn to stick with him all day :)
He has been in bad form for couple of months or more, but Conte doesn't give anyone else any opportunity.

Todd

Tactical masterpiece from Jose and a great workrate from the players = good things are going to happen

10/10 Herrera...a hand in both goals and he marked Hazard out of the game.

Trizy

Said we'd win yesterday without conceding, you're welcome.

Dominated the champions elect. We're such a great squad with great things clearly happening. 2-3 new signings and sorting out the goal scoring and we'll be right up there next season.

Mr. Meeseeks

What was Gary Cahill doing for Anders goal?!

I bet he feels silly this morning!
Dont see why he should considering he had nothing to do with conceding the goal. I thought it showed a bit of his personality. He seems like a decent person

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 77% of 938 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 751 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw