PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 05 November 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Spending 150-200m every summer, and still play the Pulis' Stoke football.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Anyone with half a brain cell knew that we needed a few more signings, this isn't a title winning side. If we don't make any reinforcements in January we'll be in real problems come the back end of next season.
Jose was desperate to buy at least one more player, but the club owners said, "No".
It is clear though, that our midfield is our weakest area. We are okay, when we hoof the ball, from DDG to our attackers, bypassing midfield completely. But when we have to play through the midfield against top teams....we struggle.
And for those who say, "Pogba". A team should not fall apart because of an injury to one player. Even Barca would do okay, if Messi got injured and Pogba is no Messi.

Today, we saw Lukaku and Morata, both on the pitch at the same time. For me, Morata looked 10 times the player than Lukaku was. Lukaku couldn't even bring down long balls, where he was getting beaten by shorter/weaker players. He has the size/height, but does not seem to know how to use it.

Anyway, onto the next one (after the international break).

finneh

We were lucky many of those good openings fell to Bakayoko.
Absolutely.

I'm hoping the tactical approach to the game that makes Mourinho the best manager in the world isn't going to be comprimised by supporter criticism. I hope he's much stronger than that, but from a supporter point of view the reaction to Anfield may have dreadful ramifications.

pascell

We're now in a scrap for top 4 and it's only the first week of November, shocking really. There was no excuse for today's performance, the tactics were poor as were the players.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This 3-5-2 thing could maybe work if our "wing-backs" could offer some attacking danger or whip dangerous crosses inside the box.

The attitude wasn't bad, but some basic errors and lack of cohesion in attacking sense cost us the game. Overall, disappointing and they deserved it.

Spirit of Solskjaer

Or the reaction you get when you have shit fans.
This. I hope we get relegated, just so the moaning shitcnuts we have (well, on the Caf anyway) for "fans" can finally do what they really want and go support City's blood money assembled band of mercenaries. The median mental age here must be about 12.

On this game though, well, the first half was entertaining and even and either side could've scored. After the beak we inexplicably stopped playing and let Chelsea have the ball. Got what we deserved in the end to be honest. Still, the international break is coming at a good time for us. Time to regroup, hopefully get a couple of key players fit and really go at it in two weeks time. Still plenty of highs and lows to come before the season is over, get behind the team and maybe we'll get back to our early season form.

Blind17

@sunama I hope you enjoy the meltdown because Us loosing brings a better meltdown than Us winning while parking the bus.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Stupidest post of the thread award for you.
Is it though?

I’m not sure JM has adapted as time has gone on. Managers should always be able to change with the times but I don’t think Jose has at all.

He looks like he is getting a bit left behind at the moment

The Mad Manc

Very hard to watch. Very hard to take anything positive away from the game. We just looked totally clueless

nesty

I think it's a bit delusional to suggest Pogba will slot back in and solve all our problems. Our passing game is absolutely shocking. Couldn't string 3 passes together most of the second half. Herrera has gone backwards, Mhki is invisible and Fellani isn't a central midfielder.

Genuinely think we will struggle to contend this year. With Spurs flying and Chelsea now breathing down our necks, 3rd or 4th place seems more realistic.

Compare that to our neighbours who aren't just winning games, but absolutely battering teams, they will walk the league. It's madness to think that we may need to spend another 100m+ to get anywhere near winning the league. Either that or throw the cheque book at Poch. (It will never happen IMO)

My hungover Sunday just got even more shite.

ZAGREB RED

United started well and looked in the mood, the game didn't play out the way most expected, very open. Problem was, United stopped playing at half time and only looked dangerous in the last five minutes or so shelling high balls into the box. Very poor from United, the promise of the first 15/20 minutes just dissipated and Chelsea were well worth the three points.
To have a front three of Lukaku, Martial and Rashford and fail to put the Chelsea back four under any real pressure was hard to take. Mkhitaryan was lost, whether it is down to him or not flourishing under Mourinho is an issue that needs to be addressed, pronto.

wolvored

You lot calling for Mourinho's head are an embarressment. He played 3 at the back to be more attacking, we didn't play one of those '3 at the back' teams that was actually 5. Young & Valencia were genuinely going for it, as was the whole team but it just shows that our squad isn't good enough to attack the big teams without Pogba in the midfield.
I agree with what your saying but surely thats Mourinhos fault as well for not bringing in another top midfielder, just in case of injuries

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only thing that worked about 3-5-2 today was it gave more players a chance to smash someone and take a booking.:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pathetic performance today.

We're in a top 4 race gong by the quality of our football. Disappointing, that.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Looking forward to Pulis interview
:lol:

Seriously though, it's painful how much we miss a fecking playmaker. Fabregas is like 50 years old, immobile, a feckwit, yet he and Morata pretty much ran the game for them today. It's not like he's doing some out-of-the-world passing either, it's simple long passes and switches that are just timed nicely and make them tick. We have nobody like that when Pogba is out. Matić is probably our best playmaker at the moment (bar Carrick) and he's nowhere near Fabregas' quality in terms of passing, nor should we expect that from him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
So incredibly disappointing.

Jose should have stuck to his tactic of going for a 0-0 instead of bowing to media and fan pressure, i was amazed at how open we were. Would rather have had 20% possession, no chances but came away with a point.

I also don't understand why we persist with Miki, he's so poor and offers absolutely nothing. Likewise Herrera. Had a great season for us last season but looks terrible currently, i'd rather see these 2 jokers replaced by youth players.

Same with Fellaini, a constant reminder of how far we've fallen from the glory days and transforms out play into long ball, hit and hope. i will never be pleased to see him on the pitch in a Utd shirt.

We got bullied across the pitch, Lukaku gave very little up front, we were outfought in midfield and got beaten too easily at the back.

The best team won.

iam_kramer

Carra is bang on. It was an open game for Chelsea not for us. Very one-sided after the 15 minutes we started brightly.

VainCape

Alot of talk of Jose's tactics but its also down to the players who just didn't show up today. Barring one or two, the rest played like cowards with no fight or grit to take the game to Chelsea. One too many passengers and soft players pulling out of challenges... and its not just Mikhi.

Can't wait for Ibra, Pogba, and even Rojo, to return and add some much needed steel and character to this team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This 3-5-2 thing could maybe work if our "wing-backs" could offer some attacking danger or whip dangerous crosses inside the box.

The attitude wasn't bad, but some basic errors and lack of cohesion in attacking sense cost us the game. Overall, disappointing and they deserved it.
About 6 years ago people were moaning that we had Valencia and Young as our wingers.
It's hilarious in a way that they're still being depended on to be the wide threat!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Decent first 15 minutes. Decent last 15 minutes. Too bad about everything in between.

We've had a big problem with our midfield for the last month. No Pogba. No Fellaini. No Carrick. We've been relying entirely on Matic and Herrera to carry us through this period, and although they are 'solid' they aren't going to control the game against competent opposition. Obviously Pogba is the bigger loss, but without him Fellaini actually becomes extremely important as they are the two who allow us to push their midfield back and create space.

Fellaini's back now (obviously rusty, but also obviously gave them issues trying to defend against him), and hopefully Pogba will be back after the international break. Hopefully we'll start actually playing proper football again.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Rashford was surprisingly bad today.
Don't really have much to add, Chelsea at the bridge was always bound to be a hard game.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Shambles since we lost Pogba. They don't look confident or motivated. Never getting to second balls, never got anybody to pass to in the midfield.

Lukaku might as well not be playing at the moment, he's getting out-jumped and out-muscled by the 5ft fullbacks and cant control the ball.

Miki's invisible too recently.

So much is made of our counter attack potential, but nobody tries. Don't know if they've been told they cant move up the pitch at all or if they just cant be arsed, but its disappointing.

Playing against teams with players like Fabregas in midfield makes us look even worse, as he's always moving, always looking for the ball and giving people an option, we don't have that without Pogba

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Jeez! Ive seen worse than this! Crap game but there’s been far worse over the years!
It isn't the game. We showed all the bottle of a Spurs title challenge, no urgency, no determination, no spark.

I can even be more specific. When they scored today i said 'game over'. The last time i said something similar with so long left i was sat in the east stand with half hour to go when Newcastle scored under Moyes.

Mal donaghy

Jose schooled AGAIN by a pro active manager, everyone could see it needed changing from 3 to 4 at the back with an etc midfielder needed cause we were run ragged in the mid , getting tired of this shitshow every time we play a big team , and before we mention spurs , the did have Kane missing , we look bereft of ideas and after all the money’s spent Ashley Young is our best left sided option :eek:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This. I hope we get relegated, just so the moaning shitcnuts we have (well, on the Caf anyway) for "fans" can finally do what they really want and go support City's blood money assembled band of mercenaries. The median mental age here must be about 12.
That's the spirit, solksjaer.

Camilo

Carragher talking a lot of sense. Are we good enough to go balls out in games like this? Probably not. But I'm glad we had a shot today, even if we came up well short.

snk123

We look a really poor side though. It’s not that we lost it’s that we look so bad. This isn’t the quality of a title winning team, we don’t even look close.
Yes of course we look clueless in attack but we have Pogba and Zlatan to come back and possibly a transfer in Jan. Things can change - we defeated Spurs a week ago. Chelsea looked bad as well a few weeks ago.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I fecking hate Chelsea. Fans, players, the manager. Everything
We shouldnt have recruited their most successful manager then. Turned us into them, just in the wrong Mourinho era.

Joseunited

Does anybody have the guts to manage us the way we should be managed. He didn't have a fecking clue today once we went a goal behind(not that he did while it was still 0-0).Have the bottle to go out and try and win games for christs sake.

Next 2 home games should steady the ship but it'll only paper over some alarming cracks that are starting to form.Pogba should be back after the international break and that should push us in the right direction again.

I really thought we were going to win today but we never looked anything other than a beaten team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The 'Mourinho masterclass' against the big sides of defending and trying to nick a goal and win 1-0 actually works what 25% of the time now? The rest are draws or defeats like today's.
It has to come off perfectly to work, whereas the perception in the past was that it worked a lot.

We certainly need Pogba to be in there, and we'd need Fellaini to be at his best. He looked understandably sluggish when he came on.

Only plus points today are that we don't have to play Chelsea away again, and it's one less big away chalked off!

GM K

Good game. I was on the edge of my sit throughout. End to end stuff.

Chelsea deserved the win though. We need to do something about our midfield. It has been a big problem since the international break. We lost today, because of that midfield. If Pogba returns and continues in the form he was before he got injured and Miki can get back to form, we'll be much better. Herrera is gradually picking up. He has been merely average since he returned but today, he looked like he can be much better.

Fellaini almost cost us two goals when he lost the ball but he was also our main threat at the tail end of the game.

Jose needs to throw everything at the opponent at times. The last 15 minutes proved that. How about playing that way for 90 minutes?

Honestly, I'll be very happy with a top four finish after last season's sixth place. City looks unstoppable at the moment but let's see how things stand in January.

DevilRed

Make that 1 win in 16 years at the Bridge.

Pitiful record.
Its pretty bad. But I think they have always been our worst team to play away.

Im sure alot of teams have terrible records at OT too. At least pre moyes/lvg.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I was surprised at how few predicted a Chelsea win in the pre-match predictions, and I'm also surprised that people here are so appalled. Seriously, what made people think we'd do well at Stamford Bridge? History suggests we usually don't, and nothing this season has made me think any other outcome was likely. I predicted 1-0 because of this. This game won't define our season, we're still 2nd in the league, some here need to get a fecking grip :houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 493 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results